Corruption of Ambition | Sej...

By Rockingwiththegaywiz

- a story of a girl trying to save Sejanus Plinth but he is too busy trying to save everyone else More

Playlist
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Tweleve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty one
Twenty two
Twenty three
Twenty Four

Eight

141 12 0
By Rockingwiththegaywiz

Shrieks pierced the air, emanating from those closest to Arachne as she dropped her sandwich and frantically clawed at her neck. Riyana sat frozen in place, her heart pounding in her chest as she witnessed the harrowing scene unfolding before her. Arachne turned towards the onlookers, her hand stained with blood outstretched in a desperate plea for assistance. A collective gasp rippled through the crowd as they watched in paralyzed horror, their eyes fixed on the tragic spectacle before them. With a heartbreaking thud, Arachne sank to her knees, the crimson tide flowing from her wounds as she began to fade away before their eyes.

Coriolanus was the first to spring into action, his movements swift and urgent, though the grim reality of the situation was already apparent. He leaped to his feet and dashed over to Arachne, calling out for a medic in a desperate attempt to save her. Riyana stood transfixed, her eyes locked on the unfolding tragedy, a sense of helplessness gripping her as a pool of blood steadily accumulated around Arachne's fallen form. As the chaos continued to unfold, Riyana felt a forceful tug on her arm, pulling her away from the cages. Startled, she turned, fully expecting to see a peacekeeper looming over her. Instead, it was Sejanus who stood before her.

"Don't look." He said quietly.

Sejanus swiftly turned Riyana towards him, enfolding her in a protective embrace against his chest. With a trembling hand placed on the back of her head, she could feel the intensity of his emotions reverberating through him. The sound of a gunshot echoed through the air, followed by the sickening thud of a body colliding with the metal gates nearby. Riyana's heart raced in her chest as she sensed the unease in Sejanus's breath, but he held her firmly, refusing to let her go despite the uproar unfolding around them.

The crowd erupted into chaos, a palpable sense of fear rippling through the air as people frantically sought to escape the unfolding disaster. Despite her instincts urging her to flee, Riyana hesitated, her gaze drawn to the haunting scene in front of her. Arachne's lifeless body lay still and silent, all too similar to the motionless form of her fallen tribute just a short distance away. A pool of blood pooled between them. The cacophony of panicked voices filled the air, but it was the overpowering stench that truly assailed her senses. The metallic tang of blood mixed with a sickly sweet aroma, causing her to gag and bite down on her hand to suppress the rising bile in her throat. Sensing her distress, Sejanus swiftly positioned himself in front of her, shielding her from the gruesome sight and gently cradling her face in his hands, offering a moment of solace amidst the frenzy.

"Go back to the entrance." He told her.

Riyana nodded in acknowledgment, her mind still reeling from the harrowing events she had just witnessed. Joining the throng of spectators who were fleeing towards the exit, she could hear the cacophony of sobs and children's screams echoing around her, but she was too stunned to fully process the chaos unfolding around her.
Emerging onto the street, Riyana's eyes scanned the crowd until she spotted Clemensia amidst the commotion.

Riyana and Clemensia stood in silence, neither knowing quite what to say. Though they had once been acquainted, Riyana and Arachne had drifted apart over time, as Arachne's behavior grew more abrasive and disdainful. Riyana couldn't shake the memories of Arachne's tendency to belittle others and make cutting remarks, particularly towards those she deemed beneath her social standing. Despite the horror of the situation, a fleeting thought crossed her mind - a momentary flicker of belief that perhaps Arachne had brought this fate upon herself with her own actions.

As Coriolanus drew near, the metallic tang of blood filled Riyana's senses, triggering a flood of guilt that surged through her chest. In her mind's eye, Riyana saw a younger Arachne at various stages of their shared history - from the innocent childhood days of blowing out birthday candles together, to the somber moment of mourning at her mother's funeral, to the carefree antics of teenage sleepovers- each fleeting memory ending the same, Arachne collapsing to her knees clawing at her ruptured throat.

As Sejanus approached, Clemensia's expression twisted into a look of pure hatred and disgust, directed squarely at him. In her eyes, Sejanus's origins from the districts seemed to cast him as a symbol of blame for the tragedy that had just played out. With a steely resolve, Clemensia turned on her heel and walked away, leaving Riyana and Sejanus alone in an awkward and tense silence.

"I'm so sorry." Sejanus said quietly, unsure of what else he could say.

Riyana shook her head and tried to stop her body trembling. Sejanus pulled her back into his arms and wrapped one hand around her back and placed a hand on the back of her head.

"Come on, I'll have my driver give you a ride home." Sejanus said, pulling away slightly.

"No." Riyana choked out, though it was almost incoherent through her sobs. "Please, I don't want to go home."

Memories of her conversation with Dean Highbottom flooded her brain. Going home meant inevitably seeing her father, and she feared that would force her to properly process the accusations. Sejanus saw the uneasiness on her face and nodded quickly.

"Hey, hey, it's okay, you don't have to." Sejanus assured her quietly, trying his hardest to console her.

He ran a hand through his hair and glanced over at his family's car parked just down the street. "Do you want to come back to mine? Or maybe if you want me to drop you off at Lysistrata's?" He asked.

If Riyana was able to get out a response throughout her sobs she would have requested Lysistrata's apartment. Sejanus' comfort felt like an invasion, all these people here, and it was in the arms of a classmate she'd only had a handful of conversations with that she was finding solace in. Sejanus took her lack of response as permission to make the decision himself.

The atmosphere in the car was thick with tension, a palpable heaviness that weighed down on Riyana's chest. Despite the disorienting haze that clouded her mind, she couldn't help but feel the awkwardness in the air around her. Sejanus sat across from her, his eyes glistening with unshed tears, face tilted up towards the roof of the car. Riyanas own tears had dried up at some point during the ride, leaving her hollow with an aching numbness. Her breathing had grown shallow out and her eyes began to droop, burdened with the irritation of salty
tears from dawn to dusk.

When the car eventually came to a stop Sejanus did not get out and open the door for Riyana like he had to previous times. He sat still, exhaling quietly through parted lips. When the driver came around the side and opened the door, Sejanus still did not move, so the driver held out a hand and helped Riyana out first.

"Thank you." Riyana muttered, as she flattened down her school uniform with her hands.

Riyana's gaze lingered on Sejanus as she turned back towards the car, her eyes catching him quickly wiping away a tear with the back of his hand. She watched as he ran a hand down his face, but as Sejanus removed his hand, Riyana noticed a subtle shift in his expression. The grief that had been etched into his features just moments ago seemed to have dissipated, replaced by a mask of composure and stoicism.

Getting out of the car, Sejanus glanced at the watch on his wrist. "It's nearly nine, my dad will be home as well."

Riyana did not respond. She was not sure if this was meant as a warning or just an observation. The only interaction she had ever had with Strabo Plinth was at the age of nine, when she had tripped over his shoe running with Clemensia at a gala. She had caused him to spill his red wine down the front of the shirt; An apology never left her lips as she scurried away. At the time, so shortly after the rebellion, the Plinths were treated as scum at these higher class social events.

"You can tell him to fuck off if you'd like, I wouldn't blame you for it." Sejanus said lightly.

Riyana knew she could never do such a thing. Sure, at the age of eight, her actions could be excused for childish antics. Ten years later though, on the brisk of graduation and marriageable age, any type of outright animosity, even if directed at the plinths, would not be looked upon kindly. She knew the ways of society, empty greeting, creaseless smiles, forced laughter, never direct distaste. Open judgment was saved for tea, with other wives of prominent men, where the person being discussed would never hear a whisper leaving your mouth.

"Only if you do it first." Riyana said, using the sleeves of her jacket to clean any tear stains on her cheeks.

Upon entering the apartment, Riyana was taken aback to find both of Sejanus' parents seated in the waiting area. Ma was the first to react, springing to her feet and rushing over to her son. With a mixture of relief and concern etched on her face, she gently cupped his cheeks in her hands, inspecting him for any signs of injury. Meanwhile, Strabo, his throat clearing with a hint of tension, rose from his seat, his expression unreadable as he observed the reunion between mother and son.

He turned to Riyana first and extended his hand. "I heard you had quite the eventful day. I'm sorry to hear about it," he said with a formality that felt more suited to discussing business dealings than personal matters. Riyana mustered a smile that reached her eyes only after a moment, her eyes only squinting because pressed her tongue against her teeth; it was a useful tip she had used often when talking to older men whom she held no liking for.

Riyana took his hand in hers and shook it. "Yes, me too."

"Is he okay?" Strabo asked, his tone less formal but still devoid of any discernible emotion.

Riyana looked over at Sejanus who was being coddled in his mothers right embrace. "Yeah, he's holding up well. Took it better than most."

Strabo nodded and exhaled loudly. "You're Leonard Pelides daughter, yes?"

"Yes sir."

"He's an impressive man." Strabo told her.

"Big shoes to fill." Riyana agreed, though it was half hearted.

"Sejanus seems to think you are a good person." Strabo commented.

"Oh I don't know." Riyana said quietly.

Strabo shook his head, "He's never had anyone over before, you twice in a week now. Sejanus, righteous honorable Sejanus, he doesn't care much for anyone else around here." He sounded so exhausted at the mention of his son's name.

"Oh stop pestering her dear." A voice broke into the conversation, and Ma walked up.

Riyana took it as her que to walk away, "It was lovely to meet you sir," She said.

Sejanus guided Riyana up to his bedroom, keeping the light off but drawing back the curtains to allow the moonlight to filter in, casting a soft glow across the room. Unlike the pristine condition of the other rooms in the apartment, his bedroom appeared lived-in and cozy. Books were scattered haphazardly around the room, two cups of water sat on his bedside table, and extra blankets were casually thrown over his bed, giving the impression of a space used for its purpose, comfort.

"Sorry," Sejanus apologized, scratching the back of his neck, "I would've cleaned up."

Riyana quickly shook her head, "No, no, it's lovely." She assured him.

Sejanus disappeared into his closet for a moment before emerging with a t-shirt and what appeared to be pajama pants, holding them out to Riyana. His cheeks and ears flushed with a light blush as he spoke, "Thought you might want to change."

Riyana changed in the bathroom, obediently leaving her discarded clothes on the floor as Sejanus had instructed. He reassured her that the maid would come by to pick up the uniform for cleaning. When she returned to the room, Sejanus was nowhere to be found, leaving her feeling a bit awkward as she sat on the bed, absentmindedly picking at invisible lint, unsure of what to do with herself.

Ten minutes later, Sejanus returned to the room with a bowl of soup and a plate of crackers, hoping they would be easy on Riyana's stomach. However, he found her awkwardly sprawled on the bed, softly snoring. Chuckling at the sight, he gently repositioned the pillows to support her neck without disturbing her, then covered her with a blanket before slipping into bed beside her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46K 1.2K 41
In an alternate reality where the sister of Coriolanus Snow survives childbirth, and how she changes the events of Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes and...
5.7K 262 23
"a distant memory i used to know, oh, i guess that's just the way things go" in which a girl is reaped for the hunger games, allowing her to make ame...
1.9K 168 8
- 𝐭𝐛𝐨𝐬𝐚𝐬 - "Be serious, Treech. There can only be one winner," Juniper exclaimed, throwing up her arms as she let the tears fall. Treech inched...
12.8K 391 25
~everything works out in the end~ Or does it?