Be so Very Cautious of The Wi...

By bsowman

"I can't stop." He paused before talking again. "No, let me paint a better picture for that thick skull of yo... More

Tired Eyes
Warming Up
A Change in The Wind
A Date? Part 1
A Date? Part 2
Unexpected Plans
Unraveling

Secrets of The Past

18 2 0
By bsowman

"What was that?" James asked Maggie quietly as she walked back down the hall out into the foyer. "I heard yelling."

"A guest tried to touch me." Maggie told him as he shook his head.

"Everyone should know at this point but you're new again and some of these are guys Astor's picked up since you've been gone, so I guess they think they can try it. Dummies." He clicked his tongue just as Jasmine got done singing. James then started up his computer while prepping the sound equipment. "Time to put on the music."

"You were great, Jas!" Maggie told her as she grinned, stopping at the booth to talk.

"Thanks doll. We're lively in here tonight." She turned to James then. "James what is on the music list?" She asked as he pulled it up on his computer to let her look. "Ooh, looks like we're going for a jazz vibe tonight, I like it. Well I have to go and start serving drinks but if you need anything, come get me."

She squeezed Maggie's shoulder and then walked away. Maggie soon fell into a rhythm of bringing guests back to Astor's office every 45 minutes or so until finally, it was her turn to sing on stage. For some reason, she started feeling jittery right as she was about to get on stage but chalked it up to nerves and took a deep breath, looking in the mirror to check that everything was in place and that she looked presentable.

"Next up is Magnolia Fitzgerald singing Greedy!" James called on the mic and clapping ensued as she waved and got up on stage. As soon as she did, her eyes scanned the crowd before her eyes fell on what looked to be who she hadn't seen in almost 20 years.
Wilson Fisk.

His eyes looked to her but she couldn't tell if he recognized her or not.

"Hi everyone! I hope you're all having a good night so far!" She spoke into the mic with a grin as she took it off the stand before the music started. "He said are you serious? I've tried but, I can't figure out. I've been next to you all night and still don't know what you're about."

As Maggie sung, her eyes made there way around the room again, trying not to stare at Fisk but her eyes briefly went to him again. Lo and behold he was still staring at her with his hands clasped together while his elbows sat on the table as he leaned forward, listening intently apparently. Ignore his eyes and put on a good performance. Maggie thought to herself before turning away from him.

"You keep ta-ta-ta-talking but not's much comin' out your mouth." Maggie walked the stage, feeling more confidence as she sung and the crowd's eyes were glued to her. "Can't you tell that I want you? I say, yeah I would want myself. Baby please believe me, I'll put you through hell just to know me, yeah so sure of yourself. Baby don't get greedy." The rest of Maggie's performance went smoothly and when she was done, roaring applause erupted from the crowd as she winked before waving and walking off the stage.

"Girl, that was hot!" Erika squealed as she stood near James with a grin.

"Was it? I was so nervous at first, I haven't done this in forever."

"Yes!! Honestly it's like you haven't been gone a day. I saw one of our new regulars eyeing you up the entire time you were on stage, too. That big shot Fisk." Maggie felt her blood run cold for a moment as she swallowed harshly at that.

"O-oh yeah?" She asked as Erika nodded.

"Yeah, he don't really pay much attention to us so I was surprised but he must like what he see's with you or something. Hopefully that'll bring in more revenue."

"Hopefully." Maggie muttered distractedly as Erika waved to her as she walked away back into the kitchen to get more drinks. I can't believe he's here my first night back. Is it a coincidence? She thought to herself as suddenly a finger gently tapped her shoulder. Turning around, Maggie had to look up as she came face to chest with the one and only Fisk.

"Hello, I'm here to see Aziel." His deep voice spoke politely as Maggie paled considerably, becoming anxious but slowly nodded before gesturing down the hall, all the while trying to remain professional.

"Follow me, sir." She murmured as he nodded and they walked down the hall to his office. As they made it to his door, Maggie raised her fist to knock on the door but Fisk raised his hand to stop her. Goddammit, so close. She thought as she turned fully towards him, waiting for him to speak with bated breath.

"Magnolia, I think that we should speak." He told her solemnly as she breathed out a sigh with her nose.

"I wasn't sure if you recognized me." She told him as a smile briefly graced his face.

"I could never forget the face of my niece." He told her as she gave him a small flash of a smile back, a small tinge of emotion inside her chest as he said that but quickly remembered the promise she made her Mother, trying her hardest to keep her guard up. "You look absolutely beautiful, quite a rose you have bloomed into." He complimented her.

"Thank you." She spoke simply, her face a neutral mask while glancing down as she kept her hands clasped together.

"I wasn't aware that you worked at this.." He trailed off for a moment, while glancing around unimpressed. "Establishment." He finally finished as Maggie nodded with a slight hum.

"Yes, I quit for a year and a half to pursue other things but I've been hired on again for weekend shift so I can earn extra money." She explained as he tilted his head as she said that.

"If it's money that you need, I am more than willing to give you anything you may need to keep you steady and on your feet." Maggie shook her head at that.

"No, I couldn't take your money. I should earn it myself." She politely declined as he gently placed his hands on the sides of her arms.

"Magnolia, my favorite flower, you can always ask and I will always deliver. I want to make sure you have everything you might need. After all, you are one of the nearest and dearest things to my heart." Maggie's resolve was slowly breaking at hearing this.

"Uncle Fisk, I—"

"I've missed you so much. Your Grandfather wouldn't allow me to see you after your Mother's death and it tore me apart inside, and then Joel vanished too which made it ten times worse." He pulled her in for a hug and stroked her hair as she stayed still for a moment before slowly wrapping her arms around his large frame as much as she could. "Your Grandmother would very much love to see you, we can make a trip to see her." He murmured as he finally let her go after a minute or two. "Would that be acceptable?" He asked as Maggie nodded, overwhelmed at what was going on.

"Yes, I- I'd love to see Grandma. But I really can't ask you for anything else, Uncle. Please, it's not right." He sighed as he shook his head.

"Always so stubborn, just like Rachel. You know, you look so much like her. She was a very strong and vibrant woman." Once again, her Mother's voice was in the back of her head telling her that he wasn't to be trusted. as she stared at him, another thought surfaced. Matt has been fighting to get him locked up too.

She didn't know why because Matt didn't tell her much of the work he did and mostly he came when he needed to be stitched up, or to visit but she did hear from word of mouth that the devil of hell's kitchen was going out of his way to target Fisk.

She had never told him about her relationship with Fisk, not seeing any need since she hadn't even seen the man since she was 8 but now that he was back in front of her, a bad feeling lodged its way into her gut.

The thought of her Father went through her brain and she was about to ask about him but before Maggie could say anything more, the door to Astor's office swung open. "Fisk, harassing my sweet staff, hm?" He asked as Fisk stared at him with a deadly stare.

"Your sweet staff is my niece, Astor." His voice was tense as he straightened up. "But somehow I feel you knew this, did you not?" He asked as Astor simply chewed on a toothpick in his mouth, staring at him with his sunglasses on and his hands in his pocket.

"Making a lot of assumptions, Fisk. But yes, I knew. She worked for me before you and I were business partners and she has no affiliation with anything concerning you and I, either." His tone was smooth and serious, not to be questioned but neither was Fisk.

"I wouldn't say that seeing as she is related to me." You could see Fisk's barely concealed rage at this point and a memory of Fisk and her Father fighting surfaced in her mind vaguely at the look on his face.

"You cannot keep taking pills and drinking with a young child in your home, Joel!" Uncle Fisk yelled as a small Maggie sat on the stairs, listening to them argue.

"It's none of your business, Wilson." Her Father sneered out as his voice slurred together.

"It is my business." He spoke lowly, seething but trying to control himself as he saw Maggie peaking through the bars on the stairs, watching them. "Rachel is not here to take care of Magnolia right now while she is in the hospital trying to fight the cancer, but you are which means you must be responsible and take care of her instead. She can't see you like- like this." He poked his chest and Joel swatted his hand away angrily.

"Don't talk to me about Rachel. Do. Not." He growled out. "Why do you even care so much? So much about Rachel? About Maggie, hm? What's with that? You know, at first I thought it was because you were being a good older brother who wants to be nice to his sister in law and niece, but you always been too close with Rachel, too doting with Maggie." Silence. Uncle Fisk stared down Joel who was a little bit shorter than him with dark brown hair, matching color eyes, slimmer but with the same broad shoulders, and dark expressions on either of their faces.

"What are you implying, Joel?" Uncle Fisk asked slowly, his voice barely a rumble.

"I think you know what, Wilson." He spat back as the vein in Uncle Fisk's neck bulged.

"You will want to choose your next words wisely, brother. You're drunk and your daughter is watching us." Joel finally glanced over to the stairs and saw Maggie, glaring at her.

"Get your ass back up stairs right now, Maggie!" He snapped as Maggie's eyes watered as she started standing up. "Now before I get a switch from the yard!" He snarled out and Maggie hurriedly started crawling up the stairs just as what sounded like someone hitting some else happened and Fisk started screaming.

"Magnolia, why don't you go attend to other business while your Uncle and I talk." Astor spoke lowly, a hand on her back as he nudged her to leave and Maggie blinked rapidly for a moment before nodding.

"Oh yes, okay." She murmured in somewhat of a daze before Fisk stopped her.

"We will talk again soon, okay?" As he said this, he leaned down and gave her cheek a small kiss before straightening up.

"After you." Astor grinned brazenly as he motioned for him to walk inside his office. Fisk said nothing before he went in as Astor stood at the door, turning to Maggie.

"Your first night back has been lively, hasn't it?" He asked as she nodded in agreement.

"I'd say lively is an understatement." She told him as he reached out and tucked a stray hair behind her ear that had made its way out of her ponytail.

"Have you been having a nice evening besides this incident?" He asked and Maggie was somewhat surprised at his calm and soft behavior.

"I have actually. It's been nice catching up with the other girls and being back on stage." Astor nodded at this a gave her a side smile as his thumb brushed her cheek quickly. Maggie wasn't very phased by his constant touching of her since he previously would always lightly touch her on her middle back, cheek, tug at her hair, etcetera. He had never been explicitly inappropriate though, and while she hadn't always been comfortable with it, she learned to get used to it.

"Atta girl." Astor murmured. "I might be tied up for the rest of the night so if you don't see your dear Uncle leave my office, turn any other guests away and let them know that they'll have to reschedule." Finally, he turned and gave her a wink before closing his office door as she caught a glance at Fisk who had been watching them with a dark stare. Slowly, Maggie walked away and processed what had just happened.

The rest of the night went by relatively fast though, with her mind preoccupied thinking about the memory that had surfaced and what had happened tonight. Maggie hadn't seen Fisk in such a long time and yet, it felt like it had been just a day since she saw him last which was at her Moms funeral which her Father never even bothered showing up for.

Every thought she had led her to more questions with no answers and left her feeling frustrated by this. Soon, it was time for Maggie to sing again and the atmosphere was calmer than it had previously been, lights dim, and the giant crowd that had been here was now cut in half. Still, it left many who were relaxing, and enjoying the last part of their night mingling among themselves.

"And for our last performance of the night we have Magnolia Fitzgerald again singing Girl I Used to Be!" James announced over the mic as she walked out on stage with a smile. Immediately she spotted Fisk and Astor sitting at a table in the corner together, Fisk on one side of the rounded booth, and Astor on the opposite side as they both watched her.

"It looks like everyone has been having a relaxing night tonight." She smiled as she looked over the crowd, her stage voice coming out easily as she stepped back into that part of herself. "I hope you all enjoy this next song." And then the music started, a tamberine, the drums, and a bass starting a low and slow sound.

"I'm sick of counting all my ribs. Hollowed cheeks, I'm paper thin." Her voice came out sensual and low as she sung. "Making sure I'm never full so I can stay this beautiful. Traded all my happiness for nothing but eeemppptyynessss." Maggie slowly walked the stage as she held the mic, looking over the crowd before her eyes made its way to Fisk and Astors table, Fisk eyebrows furrowed in what seemed to be a pained expression as he watched her.

Astor however stared at her with a neutral expression, his hands clasped together as his fingers were entwined with one another, resting under his chin as he watched her. "I'm burdened, checking off the days. I'm young and yet my body aches. I don't know how much I can take. I can't go on living this wayyy."

Maggie had chosen this song as one to sing because it had encompassed how she felt when she was with William for so long, and now that it was over she felt as if she could release that hurt and pain with her voice. And if she couldn't, at least she could ease it. "It's time for her to ffflllyyy awwaaayyyyyyyyyy! Sing something soft and slow, a song that she used to know. Lay her down in a bed of roses and make sure that lace dress fits."

Maggie's voice became more emotional as she kept singing, her voice becoming more and more intense as it poured out of her. "Make sure her momma knows, she's taking the pain when she goes. It's only goodbye for a moment so go on and close that lid. Saaaaaayyyyyy goooooodddnnighhhhhhtt and just her sleep. No need to crrryyyy for the girl I used to beeee."

As Maggie swept across the stage, her voice resonated around the stage, her body swaying with the music as she did. "Make the coffin big enough to fit the boy she used to love. Who never loved her half as much, and tell her that her work is done. Put the daisies on her chest, and lay that giirrrrl to reeesttttttt!" Her hand clutched her chest as she belted it out, quickly wiping the tears from her cheeks as she went.

"Oh sing something soft and slow. A song that she used to know. Lay her down in a bed of roses and make sure that lace dress fits. Make sure her mommaaaa knows! That she's taking the paaiiinnnn when she goes. It's only goodbye for a moment."

Maggie smiled sadly as she sung that last part, her voice low. "So, go on and close that lid. Saaay goooooodddniigggghhtttt and just let her sleep. No need to crrryyyyy for the girl I used to be." The music cut off slowly then and the crowd once again erupted in applause and Maggie gave a wave as she walked off stage.

As she did, she saw Astor motioning for her to come over from her peripheral and turned to make her way over to them. "Magnolia, that was a breathtaking performance." Fisks deep voice spoke first as he stood up to take her hand and gave her a gentle squeeze before sitting back down.

"Thank you. It's a song that is near and dear to my heart."

"I hadn't heard it before today. May I ask what it means to you?" He asked as Maggie swallowed harshly for a moment as she looked down and Astor cleared his throat as he looked between the two.

"Ah maybe we should talk about something else, hm?" He asked as he smoothed his suit jacket while he leaned back into his seat to get more comfortable.

"It speaks of my life." Maggie finally answered, being vague as she looked up to him and his expression darkened a bit.

"I see." Was all he said. Astor sighed and looked at the time.

"Your shift is uh effectively over." He said pointedly, a pensive expression on his face. "Go home, get some rest for tomorrow. We're just going to be finishing up business anyhow. Right, Fisk?" Fisk nodded as he turned to face Astor.

"Indeed. I have a car waiting outside, ready to take you home at your request." He told her as Maggie shook her head.

"While that is very generous, I'll have to politely decline. I'm a big girl, I can get myself home." Astor took off his sunglasses at that and both of them simultaneously glanced at her in annoyance.

"Just take the ride, please." Astor's voice was tense and Fisk fixed him with a stare while Astor said nothing back, his tired blue eyes staring back with a nonchalance to them. "I said please." He stated casually as Fisk said nothing to him, talking to Maggie instead as his eyes kept staring at Astor.

"If you insist to get home on your own, please make sure you are safe. I've written down my number here for you to put in your phone should you need any sort of assistance." He explained as finally he looked at her, holding up a napkin. Maggie gently took it from him and skimmed it for a moment before nodding and giving him a small smile.

"Thank you, that's kind of you. I'll go ahead and get my things and head out for the night. Goodnight, Uncle Fisk. Aziel, I will see you tomorrow night." Astor nodded his head at her and Fisk gave her a smile before she turned away from the ticking time bomb of a duo and walked back to the powder room to grab her purse. As she did, the girls were conversing with one another and when she walked in, all turned their heads to her.

"Maggie, Erika told us that Fisk was watching you earlier! And I saw you talking to him and Astor just a few minutes ago. Everything good? He's a scary man." Jessica said as Maggie nodded tiredly.

"Yeah, it's all good. He just said he loved my voice a lot, asked about booking me for a personal event or something." Maggie lied easily, not feeling inclined to share her personal business about being his niece.

"You'd make a lot of money doing that but I wouldn't." Jasmine advised her as she turned to her with a curious expression.

"Why? What's up with him?" Maggie hoped she could get a clear answer as to just who her uncle really was to other people. Jasmine looked around uncomfortably for a moment, fidgeting as Erika and Jessica glanced at one another.

"You don't know?" Erika asked as Maggie shook her head.

"Know what?" She pressed and Jasmine cleared her throat.

"Well.. They're all rumors but people around Hell's Kitchen know Fisks henchmen that go around doing his bidding for him. He apparently had an elderly lady killed because she turned down his money offer to move out of her apartment so he could buy the building." Maggie suddenly felt terribly sick at this, getting dizzy too as she sat down in a chair.

"Are you okay, hun? You got real pale there." Jessica asked as Maggie nodded weakly.

"They're just rumors, Mags. Jasmine is always talking about this kind of stuff. He's been trying to do a lot of good for Hell's Kitchen and is apparently  super likable." Erika tried to make her feel better but Maggie just glanced to her with a dead pan expression.

"I get you're trying to make me feel better, but come on. We all know that around here what's on the surface isn't what's really going on."

"Why's it gotta be like that, huh? He could be a really nice guy and you're all feeding into the rumors." Erika protested as Jessica shook her head with an exaggerated look of annoyance.

"Erika, is your brain full of rocks? We all know that his shit's a farce. My cousin got beat to a pulp by one of his goons like two months ago on his request for not giving up part of the docks he owns." Maggie put her hand over her mouth in shock at that as the room was silent for a moment. "And the thing of it is that no one will say anything because half of the police department works for Fisk and so does some of the reporters at the bulletin. Money talks in this city and people will abandon morals because of it."

"Jess, I'm sorry." Maggie blurted out, tears gathering in her eyes. Jessica shook her head as she walked over and patted Maggie's hand.

"Oh hon, it's okay. It's not like you're Fisk or have anything to do with the bastard. I will say though,  if he ever asks you to do something like sing at a party of his or something, just do it. I don't wanna see you hurt because you were too stubborn to just suck it up and do it. Lord knows you don't deserve anymore shit after William."

Maggie felt guilt pooling in her stomach as she thought about what they just told her. "I uh- I gotta go home. Astor let me off early." Maggie told them quickly, standing up as she wobbled a bit. Jasmine moved towards her, holding out her hands as if to make sure she didn't fall.

"Is everything okay, Maggie? You're acting really weird. You know it's okay if you need to do a show for him or something, don't feel so bad. And I don't think he'd do anything to hurt you. We're under the protection of Astor, and he's a big dog just like Fisk so it's nothing to worry about." Maggie nodded as she sighed through her nose. God, if only they really knew. She thought to herself bitterly.

"Yeah you're right Jaz, thanks." She gave a pathetic excuse for a smile before turning away from them as it slipped off her face. "I'll see you guys tomorrow, have a good night!" She called behind her as she walked out of the powder room and turned down the hall to go to Astor's office and retrieve her coat. When she walked in, she walked over to the coat rack and grabbed it before slipping it on and pulling her hair out from it before turning around only to jump as Astor stood in the door way.

"Have a minute?" He asked and Maggie slowly nodded while eyeing him wearily.

"Sure. What's up?" She asked as he stepped in and closed the door.

"You're uncle and I have reached an understanding about you working here. Expect to be seeing him more frequently though." Maggie just nodded, not wanting to reveal how she truly felt about the situation and give Astor any ammo. "But now, on to what I actually want to speak with you about." Astor gave her a side smile and took a step closer towards her. "You know how I've felt about you Magnolia, and before you were married but now," He took a step closer as his voice lowered. "You're not tied down to anyone. A beautiful, smart, capable woman with brains is hard to come by. Especially one who just happens to be related Wilson Fisk too." Maggie narrowed her eyes at him, taking a step back.

"Yes well, I'm not interested in anything like that Aziel." She spoke forcefully, using his first name. Astor took off his sunglasses then, his eyes glaring at her viciously while a grin started forming on his face, giving him a menacing look.

"I never pictured you to be a liar, Magnolia. Don't tell me you've never thought about me in that way, that you've never wanted me like I've wanted you." Maggie stared at him, saying nothing for a moment as she side stepped to get around him but he moved in front of her.

"Look, you're a handsome man but I'm not looking to date. Okay? Especially not my boss."

"I wouldn't be your boss if we were dating, In fact, you wouldn't have to work anymore at all. I could give you anything you wanted, as much money as you could ever need to have whatever you want, take care of that Grandpa of yours." Maggie sighed as she shook her head again but froze as Astor's hand grabbed her wrist roughly, feeling a panic in her chest as she held completely still. "Come on, Magnolia. One date."

"Please let me go." She spoke quietly as his nose brushed her cheek as he leaned in to whisper to her.

"Let me have one date and I will. If you don't wanna have a second afterwards, I'll leave you alone." Magnolia tried to rip her hand away from him but he gripped her harder, his fingernails embedding themselves in her skin.

"Stop now. Or else I'll talk to Fisk." She hissed out, the last resort she could think of. He shoved her away from him then and she stumbled but was able to right herself as his face morphed into an expression of rage.

"Get out." He snapped, his voice thin as he swiftly strode past her to go to his desk. "You're an idiot to reject me. You're gonna say yes one way or another." He muttered as he sat down in his chair while she scurried out as fast as she could, slamming the door behind her as she made her way swiftly to the exit before anyone else decided they wanted to talk to her.

Maggie had to walk home, not seeing any cab to hail at all and not wanting to ride the subway so late at night. It was mostly quiet at she walked home, the only sound was the breathing of her own voice and the occasional noise of people across the street or muttering in alley ways. After a little bit of walking, she put an ear bud in her ear to listen to music as she made her way home.

"You shouldn't be walking home on your own." Maggie flinched as a voice spoke from her right and she looked into the alley to see Matt in his daredevil suit with his mask on, hidden by the shadows slightly. "Things are dangerous right now, what are you even doing out?" He asked her sharply as she grew irritated.

"I'm making my way home from work, dickhead. I'm not in the mood right now, I've had enough of peoples shit tonight." Matt's expression changed slightly, and she could tell that he was shocked at her attitude. She wasn't happy to see him in this moment, a twinge of guilt in her chest as she thought about the fact that she was related to someone who was his enemy.

"You're in a dress and wearing makeup."

"And?"

"You're a nurse."

"Not on the weekends I'm not. I went back to working for my old boss on the weekend to make some extra money, okay? I've had a long night filled with men who have the gall so I'm not really trying to go back and forth. I am an adult and can get myself home." She told him with a huff.

"I know you are perfectly capable Maggie but it's not about whether or not you're capable. I'm just trying to make sure you're safe." She rolled her eyes but knew he was right.

"Walk me home then." Matt sighed in irritation.

"I can't, I'm in my suit."

"So what are you gonna do, stalk me home from the shadows?" She asked with an eyebrow raised as she stared at him in deadpan. It was silent and Maggie let out a laugh then as she shook her head. "Oh my God, you are. Have fun with that." And then she kept walking, not even looking back. After a few minutes of walking, Matt was walking beside her begrudgingly.

"What is the side job you're doing?" He asked her as they walked.

"I sing at Euphoria. I stopped around the time that you helped me with my problem." She told him as he seemed to grow tense.

"At Euphoria? I've heard that place is bad news and the owner is crooked."

"Look Matt—"

"You can't say my name!" He interrupted her as she groaned, tilting her head back incredulously.

"Look Daredevil, I don't know about what he does. What I do know is that it's a good source of extra income and he guarantee's protection for his employees which is something that could come in handy with everything going on in hell's kitchen right now."

"I get it, you don't have to justify it to me Maggie. I know that money's tight right now but just keep an eye out, okay? I don't want anything to happen to you." His tone was softer now and Maggie felt her defense drop.

"Thank you." She responded simply as finally she reached her apartment. "Go get 'em tiger." Maggie spoke jokingly as he let out a breathy laugh before quickly walking down the ally way next to her apartment and disappearing.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4M 40.7K 44
Clara Bowen has had a troubled life. Her family, being very religous, has entrapped her into a life hidden from the real world. Now Clara is given th...
64K 1.2K 52
This story is purely made from my Imagination. A Mafia Romance By Dylanobriensmami ---------------------- 𝐌𝐈𝐑𝐀𝐁𝐄𝐋𝐋𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐕𝐀𝐑𝐄𝐒 I was sen...
Love On Fire By a

Fanfiction

226K 9.2K 75
"I mean seriously, Matt, you can smell when I walk into a room, hear my heart every time I lie! For fucks sake, you can taste blood in the fucking ai...
3.6K 180 10
You and Matthew Murdock hated each other. You guys used to be friends, but a sudden rupture formed between the two of you, causing broken hearts and...