Wings Of Fire 16: The Journey...

By BookLover3062

What happens when your headmaster asks you to go on a mission that should definitely be left up to the adult... More

Notes From the Author(s)
Canon and Main Fanon Characters
Winglets
Prophecy
~Chapter 1: A boring class and a call from Blue~
~Chapter 2: We're the best in the school now?~
~Chapter 3: Croc wakes everyone up at 3 am for no reason at all~
~Chapter 4: Oh shoot Sundew is gonna kill us!~
~Chapter 5: The time we got dragon-napped~
~Chapter 7: We apologize for Croc~
~Chapter 8: Scales form an odd story~
~Chapter 9: In which Croc flies into a tree~
Update
~Chapter 10: The fighting begins at 7 am~
~Chapter 11: Hastily made gardens~
~Chapter 12: A not-so-secret stalker~
~Chapter 13: A prophetic revelation~
~Chapter 14: A long wait for apples~
~Chapter 15: Very frozen food~
~Chapter 16: Croc is SO going to miss Marigold coming out of her cocoon~
~Chapter 17: Wild needs to not prank Goldie~
~Chapter 18: And... Croc missed it~
~Chapter 19: Do NOT eat the yellow berries!~
~Chapter 20: She almost did it~
~Chapter 21: Mysterious dream visitor~
Update 2
~Chapter 22: It is NOT a good idea to practice flying above the pointy rocks!~

~Chapter 6: Croc is forbidden from starting fires~

21 0 0
By BookLover3062

"Croc! Croc?!" Willow whisper shouts into the cave, still weary of Marigold's observation.

They hear a faint ripping sound.

"I'm okay!" Croc calls up. "They came to feed me, then checked on your cave and found you gone, so they gagged me."

"That's bad," remarks Marigold. "Really bad."

"Ok, time to go then!" Says Willow, climbing back into the cave, and banging on the wall with the iron.

After a few bangs, the remaining rocks between Willow and Croc crumble away.

"Come on Croc, we need to go now!" Says Willow, leading Croc towards the hole in the roof.

"Okay. Goldie, on my back, Croc, follow." Willow commands, bending down for Marigold.

After a few minutes, Marigold points at some dark shapes on the horizon.

"Who are they..." Marigold says, nervous.

"Well, I hope they're our friends and not the kidnappers." Says Croc.

"Friends!" Calls Willow. "I see Stella and Kimber!"

"OVER HERE!!!!" They shout, waving and moving around as much as possible.

Their friends saw them and started rapidly flying in their direction.

When Stella, Kimber, Honey, and Reef reach Croc, Marigold, and Willow, they're all relieved to see each other.

"We were so worried about you guys!" Reef exclaims.

"What happened?" Said Honey.

"Where were you?" Asked Stella at the same time.

"Croc, tell me you didn't get hurt." Says Kimber.

"I'm glad you were, we got kidnapped, we were on that island back there, and no, I don't think Croc got hurt." Said Marigold, in response to all the questions. "Also, should I switch backs? You must be getting tired Wild."

"Maybe." Says Willow thoughtfully. "But let's find another island. I don't like our chances here."

"Ok, I'm fine with that." Says Marigold.

Willow starts flying away fast to stretch her wings, forgetting Marigold was on her back.

"Too fast!! TOO FAST!!" Hollers Marigold from on her back. "Also, you're going in the wrong direction!!"

Willow turns back to the group.

"We probably need to go back the way you guys came," says Marigold, nodding at the four who had found her and Willow and Croc. "That's Northeast. Then we can regather our bearings at the island we're at."

"Good idea." Says Stella, and she starts flying back the way she had come.

•••

A few hours later, they reach the island where they had stayed before the kidnapping.

"I'm pretty tired, I'm gonna turn in." Said Marigold, yawning.

"Me too." Says Honey.

"I'll take watch." Says Croc, positioning himself in front of the cave.

Everyone else heads inside over the next few minutes, settling down for a nights rest.

•••

"Good morning!" Says Croc as Willow comes out of the cave.

"Morning," says Willow, "Wow, my wings are sore." She remarks.

"Makes sense." Says Honey, striding outside, followed by the others. "Goldie told me there were bindings on your wings, plus you were flying half the day with someone in your back."

"Well... I have good news!" Announces Croc. "I don't think anyone followed us!"

Everyone cheers.

"Bad news!" Says Croc. "I lost some herbs while flying!"

"How many..." Marigold asks tentatively.

"All the knockout plants!" Croc declares.

"Great. Just great." Marigold says, rolling her eyes.

"Well... at least we have darts." Willow says, checking the dart bag. "Uh oh. We're out of darts. But I can probably make more."

"We're in an island with virtually nothing useful on it. How?" Asks Croc.

"Well, I grew up in the rainforest where you're taught to make darts out of anything." Willow says. "In other words, you're not the RainWing here."

"So you're saying I can't make darts?" Croc asks.

"Essentially, yup!" Says Willow.

"Ok, I'm gonna go look for edible plants for me and Wild." Says Marigold, walking away.

"What are the rest of us gonna eat? Iron?" Says Croc dryly.

"Meat. Fish. Anything." Says Marigold. "But SilkWings and RainWings are vegetarians."

The rest of the day, the group recuperated from the kidnapping and got ready to set out again the next day.

•••

The next morning, Croc was the first to wake up, as usual.

He sits up and yawns.

"I fell asleep like five hours ago trying to start a fire." He says, glancing at the pile of ashes next to him.

"Lovely." Mutters Willow. "Let us sleep."

•••

"Guys! Wake up!" Says Croc exasperatedly. "It's already like lunchtime!"

Everyone stirs awake.

"We've got to get on the move! We've got to be closer to Phyrria now!" Croc says for motivation.

"Yes! I can sense my homeland!" Says Willow dramatically.

Marigold snorts.

"We are now where near Phyrria," she says.

"Welp, so much for motivation." Mutters Croc.

"Trust the navigator I guess." Says Willow, shrugging.

"Time to go!" Says Kimber. "We've been here way too long."

"Wild, is your wing feeling better?" Marigold asks.

"It's a bit sore." Willow replies, testing it.

"Ok. I'll ride on Reefs back then." Marigold says.

The group sets out, Marigold riding on Reefs back.

"Well, at least you didn't burn- I mean hurt your wing." Says Croc.

Willow rolls her eyes.

"I heard you say burn Croc. I can hear you know." Willow says, annoyed.

"Don't tell Goldie!" Says Croc in a panic.

"I heard you, too!" Says Goldie. "By the way, how have you found yet another way to get hurt!?"

Croc slaps Willow.

"No slapping!" Kimber reprimands.

"Seriously Kimber?" Asks Croc. "You're supposed to be on my side!"

"He's right though!" Says Marigold . "Let's try not to hurt each other, there's already people apparently out to hurt us!"

"Yeah CROC." Says Willow, emphasizing Crocs name.

"Guys, focus." Marigold says, sighing.

"Well, now we just need to get to Middle Town and the ask Luna and her boyfriend for materials/directions/information." Croc says, mapping out an action plan for them.

"And I need one more material for the darts that our last island didn't have." Willow adds.

"What is it?" Croc asks.

"Why would I tell you?" Asks Willow.

"Because we're a team!?" Croc protested.

"And it's a RainWing secret!" Replies Willow.

"Guys. Stop fighting." Marigold says, trying to put an end to the banter.

Reef points to a large patch of land in the distance.

"We're almost there!" He called.

"Thank god!" Says Willow, "I was beginning to think we'd never get there!"

After a few minutes more of flying, the group lands on the island. There's a small crowd of dragons, though none of them were paying attention to the newcomers. Although there were many dragons, most buildings were in ruins, or were makeshift shelters.

"I'm gonna light a fire for us." Croc says. "It's pretty dark."

"NO!!" The rest of the group shouts simultaneously.

Willow sprints at Croc and practically tackles him to stop him making a fire.

"Wild..." Kimber warns.

Willow climbs off and looks embarrassed.

"Croc, you are now forbidden to start the fires for our camp," Marigold says, quickly putting an end to the problem.

"Anyway..." Willow says, "We should find Luna and Swordtail."

"Good idea." Marigold says. "We need to replenish supplies, grab some materials, finish the darts, and get some information."

While Willow and Marigold were talking, Croc had started inching away.

"Croc?" Says Willow, noticing, "Come back!"

Croc starts inching away faster and faster.

"Don't kill me!" He shouts, full blown running now.

"Croc! We're not going to hurt you!" Marigold yells as Willow runs after Croc and tackles him.

"Or maybe we are?" She says, confused. "Wild stop! This is why we call you Wild!"

"Ok ok! I'm coming back!" Croc yelped.

"You are going to stay right here with us." Growled Willow. "We do NOT need you getting hurt again."

"Ok guys, let's go find Luna and Swordtail!" Marigold interjects, officially ending it.

"First, we should sleep." Says Croc. "I'm so proud of you, it's pitch dark and you haven't slept yet! Yay!"

"Ok, ok, let's go to sleep." Says Marigold, and she walks over to a patch of grass. "This is a nice spot."

Willow plops down next to Marigold.

"Yeah I like this."

The rest of the group, who had been standing by during the fire argument, walked over and settled down.

Meanwhile, Croc started a fire, against Willows wishes. However, he somehow didn't get hurt doing it.

"There!" He said. "Nice and toasty. And I didn't get hurt." He added, shooting a glare at Willow.

"No fighting," mumbles Marigold as she falls asleep.

The rest of the group drifts off in their patch of grass.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7K 129 33
Wings of Fire story! My name is Moon. I live in a world where everyone is tested. From the age sixteen to eighteen. In truth, you test yourself every...
94 0 19
⚠️Potential spoilers for the Wings of Fire series! It is recommended to read Wings of Fire books 1-15 before reading this story. Trigger warnings for...
6K 105 20
Kinkajou, Winter, Moon and Qibli have left the school and its time its time for the next generation to take their place solving a vengeful plot... or...
2.2K 136 32
Shadows. The dark leaders of the scavenger world are now polluting the dragons. Peace. The dragonets of destiny. The prophecy of the ages. Fight or g...