Rogue Wave | Rafe Cameron

By pretty_cvnt

"He was different than anyone else, more rough and less polite in the best aspects. Being with him was like m... More

1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19

4

239 3 0
By pretty_cvnt

"Another party? You barely survived the last, A."

"Yeah, yeah, tell me something I don't know. But," Aurora lifted her finger into the air, preparing a rationale that likely made little sense, "Hot kooks. Beer, and.... coke."

"Oh my gosh," I laughed, shoving her shoulder and that caused her to laugh as well.

"Come on, what's not to be excited about? Plus," she looked at me, dramatically, "Hot pogues."

If only she knew about JJ...

"Yeah, well I'm not exactly in the search department, right now." This caused her to pause her stride, a fleeting screech of her sneaker against the dirt road.

"What. Khalia mae, are you hiding something?" She turned in my direction, grabbing hold of my shoulders and smiling widely.

"God, you're gonna split your cheeks if you keep smiling like that, freak." I teased snipping her nose, but she ignored it and stood still.

"Fine, Fine. I am seeing... someone." I broke, raising my hands and forcing her to let go of my shoulders.

"Well?" She continued, and I took a moment to really appreciate Aurora, who ignored the separation between Kooks and Pogues. No matter what, we were always going to somewhat be those girls back at summer camp.

"He's nice. I mean, really nice and funny."

"Oh my gosh..."

"What?" I questioned, scared she had already begun to figure it out and by the way she was looking at me, she definitely did.

"It's John B. I knew it! No way, you'd be able to resist that hunk. Did you guys do it on his boat?"

"Aurora, oh my gosh. No, what?" I scrambled, desperately regretting my confession that happened not 3 minutes ago.

"Oh... Oh! It's a Kook then." She put a finger to her cheek, and her eyes grew a brighter green in a flurry of ideas.

"It's Rafe! No wonder, you guys always act like you hate each other and that's why. I bet the sex is so—"

I clamped my hand over her mouth, "Me? And Rafe? That's an actual joke, A. You couldn't pay me any money in the world, plus he's not a Kook."

Like a child, her determination grew and she removed my hand from her face. "Why won't you just tell me, Khali? I promise, it'll be our secret." Her pinky waved in front of me, but I continued on walking again.

"Let's get drunk, I can't be sober when I tell you."

"That's 3 for 3, Top! Gotta start workin' a little harder, if you wanna beat me." We passed a couple of the richer Kooks on the way to the center of the Boneyard.

"It's wild out here tonight, as always," Aurora grabbed my attention, as she strutted towards the ice chest.

"Yeah." I said, but my voice came out distant because that honestly wasn't what was on my mind right now.

I couldn't stop thinking about the compass, or John B or the Pogues... or JJ. I felt guilty, because I was out here and they weren't. Knowing them, they were probably knee deep into figuring out what the fuck was going on, meanwhile I was about three beers deep into blowing my mind off.

"You good, Khali?" Aurora popped open a bottle of beer before handing it to me, and I took it half heartedly. I was never one to back down from a party every now and then, but neither was I to backdown from my friends.

"Yeah, all good." I popped a fake smile, taking a swig of beer and ignoring the nasty feeling it left in my mouth.

"Good, I'll be right back," Aurora walked away to go probably talk to Kaleb, who she had grown to like over the last month or so.

Great. My lips flattened into a line, as I looked around trying to avoid the awkward reality of my solitude.

"Yo, K."

"Huh?" I turned around, coming face to face with Rafe of all people. I placed my free hand on my hip, pointing an eyebrow up in question.

"How's John B? Y'know, with losing his job and all? That must really suck. I don't even know what I'd do," A smile began to make way on his face, and I narrowed my eyes at him.

John B lost his job?

"He lost his job? Wait, what do you mean?"

"Yeah... Ward let him go, didn't he tell you?" Rafe tilted his head to the side, and I took a sharp breath in. The distance between me and Rafe had been short, so close that I could feel the tension between us. It was hatred. Pure hatred.

"Or is that something else he's willing to hide from you? You should really make better friends, K."

"Back off, Rafe. It's not Kook business." I let my hand fall from my hip, watching his eyes follow my movement and meet back up again with mine.

He was enjoying this.

"Hmm, that's funny, yeah, because If I remember correctly, it is my dad's boat.... and my dad was his boss."

"John B wouldn't do that. Why are you so hellbent on fucking around with him?" I furrowed my eyebrows and he mirrored my expression, taking another step closer to me and I could feel the heat radiating off of him.

"He's a pogue, that's what pogues do. You would know, right?" He smirked, looking down at me and I stared right back at him.

I had no argument, because although I cared for John B, he really wouldn't surprise me if it was true. But I'm sure he had his reasons, even if Ward begged to disagree or, at the very least, it was a misunderstanding.

"Anyways," Rafe sighed, feigning a look of indifference, "hope you enjoy the booze." He bent down ever so slightly and clinked his bottle with mine, before walking away and leaving me with absolutely nothing to say.

I hated him. Always had, and always would.

"It doesn't make sense, why would he even bring that up to you?"

"Because, Aurora, I hang out with John B and the rest of the crew. Rafe was probably just trying to get a rise out of one of us, hoping it'd get back to JB and indirectly punch him in the gut or embarrass him."

"But, if he brought up Pogues, why didn't he just kick you out if he knew you were one? I mean, doesn't he hate Pogues?"

"I don't know, why don't you go and ask him?" I snapped, letting my bottle fall back on the hood of the car where we were sitting.

One of Aurora's many friends gave us the bright idea to just get a closer look at the stars and a more private area for conversation.

"Look, all I'm trying to say is, don't let it get to you. That's just how he is, and he'll probably always be like that. It's childish shit, y'know?" She took a hit off a blunt, passing it my way and I eagerly obliged before taking a hit as well.

"Yeah, What's so bad about Pogues? Why can't we all just be cool with each other?" I exhaled a cloud of smoke, before continuing, "You shoulda seen the way he beat on Kam last year at the beach bonfire. Pretty gnarly, and for no reason too. That shit is just karma building up."

Aurora nodded in agreement, looking away to stare off at the others who were enjoying their drinks and company.

"Do you think they're happy?"

Aurora turned back to look at me in confusion, waiting for me to continue, "I mean, mom and dad has their back and they probably already have it all figured out. They know they can do whatever, and they know they don't really need to try that hard."

I guess I lost count of how many beers I had to drink or how many hits off the blunt I had, but my mouth couldn't stop going on.

Aurora sucked in air, obviously stunted by my question and internally shifting the gears to think of an appropriate response. "Uh, maybe they don't all have it found out. Maybe it's hard for them too."

"Maybe... or maybe not. Either way, I'd kill to have that for just one night. It'd be easier to have fun without worrying about next month's rent or next week's groceries at 16." I bitterly took another hit, letting the smoke fall into the wind and be blown with it.

Aurora stayed in silence, letting me gaze at the darkened sky that had begun to show a hint of storm clouds and windy weather. The saltiness of the waves travelled throughout and I let it wash me over.

"Let's go swimming." I sat up straighter, looking at Aurora who looked less than pleased with my suggestion.

"No way, nighttime? Do you want to end up on the news for being shark dinner?"

"C'mon! Live a little, A." I nudged her shoulder playfully and she let out a sigh, indirectly agreeing and began making way for the ground.

A sharp noise rang out, suddenly bringing panic to the party and I noticed the sound of people screaming and scattering away.

"Get the hell off our side of the island!"

Horror formed on my face, as I recognized the voice that I had been so familiar with.

JJ.

I ducked down behind the back of the car, scared to look over and see what was going on, but silently hoping that JJ was okay.

Then it hit me. JJ and the gun, the money at the motel, the crew.

I peeked around, seeing John B holding the side of his face and the others surrounding him, while Pope argued with JJ.

"A, do you know how to drive stick?" I looked at her, and she looked at me dumbly.

"I barely know how to fill my gas on my own, Khalia."

"Okay, well learn." I pointed to the car we were still hiding behind and watched as she fought with her jean pockets to find the keys.

"Don't you think James would be pissed if he knew I was driving?"

"Aurora," I looked at her sternly, watching her read my expression and complying with my request.

"Stay safe," She muttered before standing up slowly and moving towards the driver side of the truck.

I finally began walking towards the beach, where the crew was and held out my hands angrily.

"JJ, what the fuck? Not even a full day and you're already fucking shooting up the place?" He turned around to the sound of my voice, and I noticed the peeking heads of the others.

"That's what I said—" Pope began, before JJ hushed him and they began whispering to each other.

"Hello? Why the fuck did you pull out a gun at a party? Much less, a kook party. You're gonna get yourself into some deep shit, so watch it."

"What were you doing here, Khali?" John B asked, hindering me and I let my arms fall down to my sides.

"I was just... walking, y'know, along the beach and shit," the crew eyed me suspiciously, and JJ's silence was alarming.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 55K 35
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Junghoon's ) daughter Mishel...
21K 163 8
Looking for something to write, well then come and see if this book has, what you might be interested in. So here you go: β€’ Book Ideas: Werewolf, Vam...
887K 41K 61
Taehyung is appointed as a personal slave of Jungkook the true blood alpha prince of blue moon kingdom. Taehyung is an omega and the former prince...
2.3M 116K 65
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader β”• 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐑𝐒𝐜𝐑, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...