Cosmo || Doctor Who

By blink_and_youre_dead

where a boy meets an alien and travels the universe Book 1 of the Spaceman Series. 334,926 Words Part One... More

Cosmo
Volume One
1 : Back Chat
2 : Jealousy
3 : Action This Day
4 : Save Me
5 : Leaving Home Ain't Easy
6 : Machines (Or Back To Humans)
7 : Keep Yourself Alive
8 : If You Can't Beat Them
9 : A Human Body
10 : Was It All Worth It
11 : Father To Son
12 : Don't Lose Your Head
13 : Dead On Time
14 : These Are The Days Of Our Lives
15 : The Night Comes Down
16 : Sleeping On The Sidewalk
17 : Dreamer's Ball
18 : The Miracle
19 : You Can't Fool Me
20 : Let Me Live
21 : Play The Game
22 : Fight From The Inside
23 : Too Much Love Will Kill You
24 : My Life Has Been Saved
Volume Two
25 : Transformations
26 : A Skeleton Of Something More
27 : Bright Sadness
28 : Ill Equipped
29 : Touch
30 : Body
31 : Wilderness
32 : In Her Honour
33 : The Writer
34 : Enabling Environment
35 : Clockwork
36 : Heart
37 : Parallels
38 : All This To Say
39 : Tension & Thrill
40 : Night Must End
41 : Son
42 : Almost Idyllic
43 : Today Has Been OK
44 : Image Of A Black Hole
45 : Awake
46 : The Great Conjunction
47 : Mission Complete
48 : Earth
49 : The Ink From Books
50 : Daughter
51 : Tethered
52 : Divine Creation
53 : Ghosts
54 : I'll Keep You Safe
55 : Uneven Odds
56 : Heaven Breaks
Volume Three
57 : Kick Off
58 : At Least We Made It This Far
59 : Part Of It
60 : A Hurt Like That
61 : If You Want It
62 : Everything Will Be
63 : Let It All Out
65 : There Was No Thief
66 : Empty House
67 : Can't Complain
68 : The Scene And Herd
69 : Forward Motion
70 : Detestation and Reform
71 : Softer To Me
72 : The Vinyl Countdown

64 : Pressing On

261 31 48
By blink_and_youre_dead

𝔏𝔬𝔫𝔡𝔬𝔫, 𝔈𝔫𝔤𝔩𝔞𝔫𝔡, 𝔈𝔞𝔯𝔱𝔥
𝔖𝔢𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔪𝔟𝔢𝔯 1599

It was calm. The Globe was quiet, and sombre, with the only sound coming from passers by, who never stopped for more than a moment to gaze at the outside walls. It was a solemn existence when all of the excitement had died down, not that EJ minded. In fact, if there were access to flushing toilets, and no plague, then it would have been ideal.

Shakespeare was a mere few feet away, sat on the stage with Martha. His eyes twinkled for her, and for her alone, which EJ found rather depressing. Given the opportunity, he would have jumped onto him like a gazelle. However, it wouldn't be something that he ever got to go through with. It was a shame, really, but perhaps the academics were wrong, after all, they had never known him anyway.

Martha's hand had been taken captive by Shakespeare's for at least ten minutes as he rattled off punchlines with the attempt to impress her. "And I say, a heart for a hart, a dear for a deer."

Her face blanked, shaking slightly. "I don't get it."

Shakespeare, in all of his wisdom, just shrugged. "Then give me a joke from Freedonia."

"Okay." She agreed, pondering on it for only a second. "Shakespeare walks into a pub and the landlord says oi mate, you're barred."

"Oh, that's brilliant! Doesn't make any sense, mind you, but never mind that." His bemused chuckled ceased as his eyes grew dark with passion. "Come here."

Martha froze. "I've only just met you."

"The Doctor may never kiss you." Shakespeare looked to her with a solemn face. "Why not entertain a man who will?"

He began to lean in, and mere moments before their lips touched, Martha paused, and pulled back. "I don't know how to tell you this, oh great genius, but your breath doesn't half stink."

"If you won't kiss him, I will!" EJ called as he jumped out from the back of the stage, having had enough. He plonked himself down on Shakespeare's free side, upon the trunk, a small smirk rising across his face. "Never turn a beautiful man down, that's what I always say."

It was a once in a lifetime sort of chance, which Shakespeare seemed to be more than up for, but they weren't given the chance. The Doctor swiftly exited backstage and emerged wearing a ruff, holding onto a skull and the Carrionite globe in his hands. It was something that EJ hoped he never saw again, purely because it was so... odd.

"Good props store back there." He said, hardly paying attention as he stopped a few feet away, staring at the skull. "Not sure about this, though, reminds me of a Sycorax."

"Sycorax? Nice word." Shakespeare nodded. "I'll have that off you as well."

Exasperated, EJ rubbed the back of his neck. "Oh, my God. The Tempest."

"What?" Martha raised an eyebrow.

"It's Act One, Scene Two of The Tempest. Caliban is calling on his mother." The Thompson boy expanded. "All the charms, of Sycorax - toads, beetles, bats - light on you."

"Wow, I did not take you as a nerd."

She seemed genuinely impressed, which only made EJ feel frustrated. He rolled his eyes, standing up from the trunk so that he could be by the Doctor instead as he sneered. "Did the tattoos throw you off?" At that, she shut up.

"I should be on 10%." The Doctor sighed. "All the same, how's your head?"

Shakespeare groaned, instinctively touching the back of his skull. "Still aching."

"Here." He removed the ruff and put it onto the bard. "I got you this... neck brace. Wear that for a few days, till it's better. Although, you might want to keep it, suits you."

"What about the play?" Martha queried, staring at them all, searching for the answers.

"Gone." The Time Lord shrugged. "I looked all over, every single copy of Love's Labours Won went up in the sky."

"My lost masterpiece."

"You could write it up again." She offered, brightly, receiving a poignant look from EJ.

"Yeah, better not, Will." The Doctor deflected, quickly. "There's still power in those words, maybe it best stays forgotten."

"Oh, but I've got new ideas!" Shakespeare was full of emotion, and joy, within so much of his words, so different than before. "Perhaps it's time I wrote about fathers and sons. In memory of my boy. My precious Hamnet."

Martha's eyebrows raised. "Hamnet?"

"That's him."

"Ham...net?"

"Shut up." EJ hissed, shaking his head.

Shakespeare turned to her. "What's wrong with that?"

"Anyway, time we were off." The Doctor swayed the conversation. "I've got a nice attic in the Tardis where this lot can scream for all eternity."

EJ had been trying not to look at the sphere, because it partly made him feel uncomfortable. There was something about people trapped within glass, even if they were evil, and they had tried to overtake the Earth, there could have been a better fate. Although, he was unsure what that fate might have been.

"And, I've got to take Martha back to Freedonia."

"You mean travel on through time and space?" Shakespeare asked, catching them all slightly off guard.

Carefully, the Doctor hummed. "You what?"

"You're from another world, like the Carrionites. Martha and EJ are from the future." There was a confidence, and an arrogance, which made it all the more impressive. "It's not hard to work out."

"That's incredible. You are incredible!"

"We're alike in many ways, Doctor." He did not seem to falter. "Martha, let me say goodbye to you with a new verse. A sonnet for my Dark Lady."

"Can I urge you never to say that again?" EJ's eyes widened. "Just... please don't."

"Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? Thou art more lovely and more temperate..."

The Doctor's eyes widened, and the Thompson boy turned to him, shocked, his voice low as he whispered. "Is that Ode to a Summer's Day?"

"Yeah... yeah... I think so."

For a second, he seemed to freeze. "But it's ten years early."

"Yep." The Doctor popped the p. "I think he wrote it about Martha."

"I think my heart just broke." EJ said, monotonously.

"Will!"

"Will!"

"Will!" Two of the actors sprinted through the doors of the Globe. "You'll never believe it! She's here! She's turned up!"

"We're the talk of the town. She heard about last night, she wants us to perform it again!"

"Who?" Martha asked the question they were all thinking.

"Her Majesty." The younger of the two said through gritted teeth. "She's here."

Suddenly, a fanfare played through the air. It was bright and cheery, which rivalled the demeanour of the Queen. She was taller than EJ had expected, when she stepped into the theatre, flaming red hair in a style that the Queen of Hearts would be jealous of. Her make up was more than likely lead, whitening her to the point of snow, in order to hide away her smallpox scars.

The Doctor seemed giddy as she stopped in the centre of the theatre. "Queen Elizabeth I!"

A hiss escaped her thin, painted lips. "Doctor!"

"What?"

"Oh, holy hell." EJ sniggered, bemused. "She knows you."

"My sworn enemy!"

"What?

"Off with his head!"

Almost offended, he retaliated. "What?"

"Never mind what, run!" Martha commanded, swiftly, taking charge when it was needed. "See you, Will! And thanks!"

EJ grabbed onto the Doctor and pulled him through the stage backdoor, which meant they could escape in a way that the Queen's guards had yet to think of. Even then, they could hear her calling. "Stop him! Stop that pernicious Doctor!"

Truthfully, the Thompson boy couldn't remember where they'd left the Tardis. It seemed to be miles away, but the Doctor remembered, which he was thankful for. However, there was the issue that the doors were still locked, and EJ's keys were inside the Tardis, along with pretty much everything he owned.

"Stop in the name of the Queen!" Signified that the guards were catching up to him.

"What have you done to upset her?" Martha shouting to him as they stopped at the blue doors.

"I don't know. I haven't met her yet." The Doctor hurried, searching through his pockets for his keys. "That's time travel for you! Still, can't wait to find out... that's something to look forward to!"

Finally the door opened, and EJ sighed in relief as he pushed his way in. The Doctor, as always, waited until last, making sure that everyone else was safe before himself. However, very quickly he realised that an arrow was being fired at the Tardis, and the only way that he was going to be safe was locked inside.

EJ looked up as soon as he realised that the Doctor was inside, he offered a smile. There were a few things he'd needed, and so, he had made himself comfortable on the beams, looking through his things. Martha sat herself down on the chair beside the console as the Doctor waltzed towards them.

     "Do you mind if I make a quick call?" The Thompson boy asked as he took out his phone. "Haven't spoken to bean for a while."

  "Course." The Doctor shrugged as he pulled a few notches on the console. "Take all the time you need."

  "Bean?" Martha asked, curiously.

     Gently, EJ jumped down from the beam, phone and wallet in hand. He took the polaroid from inside of his wallet, and offered it to the woman to look at. It was one of his favourites. Him and Josh from the day they'd taken him on his first trip in the Tardis. He had been so excited, and it was brilliant. Being able to share that with Josh was one of the greatest moments of his life.

     "Bean is my nickname for him, for Joshua." EJ pointed to the small, grinning boy. "He's my son."

  "Oh my God." He smiled, gently, at her wonderment. "He looks just like you."

  "Yeah, I suppose he does." The Thompson boy had never thought about it like that before.

     Whenever he looked at Josh, all he could see was Zoë. It was her doe brown eyes he had, but he'd never once seen his own face until now. The same cheeky grin which spread across their faces, the cheekbones. There weren't many photos from EJ's childhood, but from the ones he had, he and Josh could have been switched, and the difference would have been minimal.

     "Anyway, I'm gonna just..." He pointed at his phone, taking back the polaroid. "Five minutes. I promise."

     He hated waiting for the phone to ring, because there was no guarantee that it was going to go through when he wanted it to. It could be weeks too late, and Josh might believe that EJ didn't care anymore. It wasn't true, of course.

     "EJ?" Zoë's voice was as clear as day, a comfort after a long day. "How are you? Is everything alright?"

  "Please tell me it's not April or something." He practically begged for an answer. "I don't want him to think I don't care."

  "It's still January, don't worry." She laughed, gently. "And he knows you care. He loves you, E, you know."

  "Yeah, I know." He didn't mind smiling at that. "Is he with you? I haven't got long, we're just dropping a friend off."

  "He's right here." She promised. "I'll talk to you soon, okay? Take care of yourself."

  EJ just chuckled. "Of course, and you."

  There was a shuffling on the other end of the line, which was welcome, because after a moment, Josh's voice sang through. "Daddy!"

  "Hiya, baby." It forever made him grin. "What's been happening?"

  "I drew a picture for you yesterday. I want you t'have it."

  "I will get it the very next time I see you or your mummy, okay?" EJ promised, imagining exactly how his little boy would've looked in that moment. "Is that a little scouse accent I hear in there?"

  There was a great giggle on the line. "Maybe!"

  EJ had always wondered who he was going to sound more like, himself or Zoë. It seemed now that he wasn't there so often, his slight Geordie twangs were disappearing. EJ would do his best to bring them back, one day. "You sound just like mummy."

  "Mummy says you're with Doctor."

  "Yeah, he's here." EJ's eyes flickered over to the console, to see the Doctor, who was so obviously listening in. "Do you want to speak with him?"

  "Nope." He popped the p cheekily like a little madame. "It's time to eat."

  "I'll let you go then, Joshy, okay?" EJ wished he could have held his little boy, just to say a proper goodbye. "And call me whenever you like."

  "Bye bye, Daddy."

  "Bye bye, monkey." He whispered. "Love you, alright?"

  It would have made him grin, EJ knew that. "Love you, Daddy."

     When the phone hung up, and the static of the line ceased, the Thompson boy would have sworn that his heart broke for a second. There were tears in his eyes, which stung. EJ moved towards the Doctor, and wrapped himself in his arms.

     It hurt him to be so lonely, to be without the only person in his life he ever thought he would be attached to. The first person he ever truly loved. EJ needed Josh to be around, because it gave him purpose. Being a father made him someone, long before he ever was.

     "Are you alright?" The Doctor whispered, looking down to the black haired boy at his chest. "Is there something I can do?"

  "You're already doing it." He promised, taking a deep breath to centre himself. "Just be here, please. Just always be here."

  "I will."

They stayed that way got a few minutes, just mulling over their intentions. Then, the Doctor let him go, and turned to Martha. He pressed a few buttons on the console as if they were starting to move again.

"Just one trip," The Doctor rubbed the back of his neck. "That's what I said, one trip in the Tardis and then home. Although, I suppose we could... stretch the definition. Do one trip to the past, one into the future, how do you fancy that?"

She laughed, gleefully. "No complaints from me."

"How about... a different planet?"

"Can we go to yours?" Her eyes widened with wonder.

EJ would never forget the look on the Doctor's face from that moment. It was as if someone had walked over his grave, pale as a ghost. His face fell, gently, almost impossible to tell. But the Thompson boy could.

"Nah," The Doctor played it off. "There's plenty of other places."

"Come on, though." She stood to join him, looking up at him wistfully. "I mean, planet of the Time Lords! That's gotta be worth a look. What's it like?"

EJ's face hardened. "Maybe leave it alone, Martha."

"Well, it beautiful." He nodded courteously. "Yeah."

"Is it, like, you know, outer space cities, all spires and stuff?"

It was so clear that the Doctor was trying to avoid the conversation. "Suppose it is."

"Great big temples and cathedrals?" The mere idea made her grin wider.

"Yeah."

"Martha." EJ warned again, his voice growing lower. "Stop it."

She didn't take his warning, and stared magically. "With lots of planets in the sky?"

There was a pause as the Doctor stared down at his hands. The hands that EJ loved, the hands which changed with his face. The hands which had changed so much.

The Thompson boy took his hand, the newer of the two, gently. A simple squeeze was enough to bring him back to reality. They shared a glance, where nothing transpired other than trust.

"The sky's a burnt orange with the Citadel enclosed in a mighty glass dome, shining under twin suns." The was a sadness to the way that the Doctor spoke, taking EJ by surprise. "Beyond that, the mountains go on forever, slopes of deep red grass, capped with snow."

His despondence was depressing, and EJ wasn't sure how he was supposed to help. They'd not talked about Gallifrey yet, not like this. "It's alright."

She was practically begging as she looked up at him. "Can we go there?"

"Nah, where's the fun for me?" He shrugged it off, playfully, clicking his tongue as he pulled the the monitor around. "I don't want to go home! Instead... this is much better! The year 5 billion and 53, planet: New Earth! Second home to mankind. 50,000 light years from your old world, and we're slap bang in the middle of New New York."

The Doctor hurried to find his jacket which EJ passed him, without so much as thinking about it. Then, he pushed towards the door. It was amazing the way that he had changed his tune. He was like another person, someone who hadn't gone through something horrific. However, EJ didn't really know what had happened in the Time War for the Doctor to lose his entire race, but he didn't ask.

"Although, technically, it's the 15th New York since the original so it's New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New, New York." He smiled as he opened the Tardis doors. "One of the most dazzling cities ever built."

"Oh, that's nice!" Martha scoffed as they stepped out into the rain, perhaps just shocked. "Time Lord version of dazzling."

"Nah, bit of rain never hurt anyone."

EJ grinned as he stared up, not able to see the sky. "That's if it is rain. It's pretty bleak up there, but I can't see any clouds."

The Doctor hummed in response, and guided them down the alleyway they'd landed in. "Let's get undercover."

As they moved, EJ pondered on their last visit there. New Earth was EJ's first real planet and he would remember it for as long as he lived, not least because he'd been possessed by a narcissist for a short time. Though, he didn't mind. At least then he got to meet the Face of Boe...

EJ wondered if he was still alive. It would be nice to see him again.

✯ ★ ✯

hello my loves!!!

I'm doing a huge block of planning for the rest of Cosmo, as well as the rest of the Doctor and EJ's story together (with no spoilers to how long)

Any ideas or requests for anything you want to see would be great! It doesn't only have to be for this book, but for anything at all, which includes EJ's relationships with other characters, or any original characters you think should be brought in!

10th Doctor ideas - comment here!

11th Doctor ideas - comment here!

12th Doctor ideas - comment here!

13th Doctor ideas - comment here!

14th Doctor ideas - comment here!

15th Doctor ideas - comment here!

Any and all ideas will be appreciated and welcomed! And I would personally really appreciate it because I love EJ and the Doctor so much and I never want to run out of interesting things for you all to read!

Thank you all so much,
Love you all
Emma <3

✯ ★ ✯

✯ ★ ✯

Disclaimer!!!
I do not own Doctor Who, it's characters and original storylines. The only things I do own are my own characters, my addition to the series and my own storylines. Any similarities to real life are purely coincidental.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

87.6K 3.8K 75
"I thought I told you not to wander off," the Doctor reminds her but she ignores him. "I changed my mind," Cherry muses, a small smile playing on he...
5.4K 265 11
Where someone new joins the Doctor's life. A mystery, an impossibility he can't seem to decipher. A question he can't seem to answer, and he doesn't...
2.1K 79 11
𝘊𝘶𝘱𝘪𝘥 /ˈ𝘬𝘫𝘶ː𝘱ɪ𝘥/ (𝘓𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘯: 𝘊𝘶𝘱ī𝘥ō [𝘬ʊˈ𝘱𝘪ː𝘥𝘰ː], 𝘮𝘦𝘢𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨 "𝘱𝘢𝘴𝘴𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘢𝘵𝘦 𝘥𝘦𝘴𝘪𝘳𝘦") 𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘨𝘰𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘥𝘦...