The Doctor and The Captain...

By Azkickdipstick

The Captain travels with his lifelong best friend, The Doctor. The First Book follows the ninth Doctor. More

Author's Notes
S1 EP1: Rose Part 1
S1 EP1: Rose Part 2
S1 EP1: Rose Part 3
S1 EP2: The End of the World Part 1
S1 EP2: The End of the World Part 2
S1 EP2: The End of the World Part 3
S1 EP3: The Unquiet Dead Part 1
S1 EP3: The Unquiet Dead Part 2
S1 EP3: The Unquiet Dead Part 3
S1 EP4: Aliens of London Part 1
S1 EP4: Aliens of London Part 2
S1 EP4: Aliens of London Part 3
S1 EP5: World War Three Part 1
S1 EP5: World War Three Part 2
S1 EP 5: World War Three Part 3
S1 EP6: Dalek Part 1
S1 EP6: Dalek Part 2
S1 EP6: Dalek Part 3
S1 EP7: The Long Game Part 1
S1 EP7: The Long Game Part 2
S1 EP7: The Long Game Part 3
S1 EP8: Father's Day Part 1
S1 EP8: Father's Day Part 2
S1 EP8: Father's Day Part 3
S1 EP9: The Empty Child Part 2
S1 EP9: The Empty Child Part 3.
S1 EP10: The Doctor Dances Part 1
S1 EP10: The Doctor Dances Part 2
S1 EP10: The Doctor Dances Part 3
S1 EP11: Boom Town Part 1
S1 EP11: Boom Town Part 2
S1 EP11: Boom Town Part 3
S1 EP12: Bad Wolf Part 1
S1 EP12: Bad Wolf Part 2
S1 EP12: Bad Wolf Part 3
S1 EP13: The Parting of the Ways Part 1
S1 EP13: The Parting of the Ways Part 2
S1 EP13: The Parting of the Ways Part 3
The End?

S1 EP9: The Empty Child Part 1

95 13 0
By Azkickdipstick

The Tardis is in pursuit of a small spacecraft.

"What's the emergency?" Rose asks.

"It's mauve." the Doctor says looking at the monitor and controlling the Tardis.

"Mauve?" Rose and the two men grab hold of the console to ready themselves from falling backwards as the journey takes a bumpy turn.

"Yep, he did say mauve. It's the universally recognised colour for danger." the Captain explains concentrating on trying to keep them steady while the Doctor follows the spacecraft.

"What happened to red?" Rose makes her way to the Doctor.

"That's just humans. By everyone else's standards, red's camp." the Doctor tells her.

"Oh! The misunderstandings! All those red alerts, all that dancing!" the Captain exclaims.

"It's got a very basic flight computer. I've hacked in, slaved the Tardis. Where it goes, we go." the Doctor informs Rose.

"And that's safe?" she asks.

"Totally." the Doctor answers, the Captain smirks but eventually nods his head to reassure Rose. The Captain pulls down a lever and the console explodes. "Okay, reasonably. Should have said 'reasonably' there." the Doctor corrects himself after watching the console spark turning to Rose who watches on horrified. "No! It's jumping time tracks, getting away from us."

"What exactly is that thing?"

"No idea."

"Then why are we chasing it?"

"It's mauve and dangerous, and 30 seconds from the centre of London." the Captain says as the two men man the console.

___________

Clothes are hung on some string, which connects the back of two terraced houses. The Tardis materialises in the back alley way of the houses.

"D'you know how long you can knock around space without happening to bump into Earth?" the Doctor asks Rose as the three walk out into the alley way.

"Five days? Or is that just when we're out of milk?" Rose replies.

"Of all the species in all the universe, and it has to come from a cow!" the Captain exclaims. Something watches over the three from above.

"Must've come down somewhere quite close, within a mile.." the Doctor says as the three start walking away from the Tardis. "And it can't have been more than a month ago."

"A month? We were right behind it."

"It was jumping tracks. We're bound to be a little bit out." the Captain tells her.

"Do YOU wanna drive?" the Doctor asks her.

"Yeah. How much is a little?" The three walk round a corner to leave the alley.

"A bit." the Doctor says as something continues to watch them.

"Is that exactly a bit?"

"Ish."

"What's the plan, then? You gonna do a scan for alien tech?" she asks with a skip in her step.

"Rose, it hit the middle of London with a loud bang. We're gonna ask." the Captain tells her as the two men pull out their wallet with psychic paper in to show her.

"Dr John Smith, Ministry of Asteroids." she says looking at the Doctor's paper, before turning her attention to the Captains paper. "Dr Y/n L/n, also Ministry of Asteriods." she sighs, this is not exactly how Rose wanted this to go.

"It's psychic paper, it tells you..." the Doctor starts.

"Whatever you want it to tell me." she finishes. "I didn't know you had one?" she turns to the Captain.

"Didn't know I had to tell you." he smirks, she smiles and playfully smacks the mans arm. The three stop as they walk up to a door.

"Not very Spock, is it, just asking?" she says whilst the Doctor places his ear up against the door.

"Door, music, people - what do you think?" the Doctor asks.

"I think you should do a scan for alien tech. Gimme some Spock for once! Would it kill ya?" she asks the man who is now kneeling down to the lock on the door using his sonic screwdriver on it.

"You sure about that T-shirt?" he asks looking back at Rose.

She looks down at the shirt "Too early to say. I'm taking it out for a spin."

"Muuummyy. Muuummyy." a child's voice captures only Rose's attention, as she takes a few steps back and looks up towards where the Tardis sits.

"Rose?" the Captain asks looking at her.

"Come on, if you're coming. It won't take a minute." the Doctor says as he heads in through the door followed by the Captain.

"Muuummy." the child's voice says again. Rose looks up and notices a child in a gas mask on top of a roof.

"Doctor? Captain? There's a kid up there!" Rose shouts before running towards the building hoping to find a way up to the roof, as something watches her from above.

___________

The Doctor puts away his screwdriver as the two men make their way deeper into the building, they follow the sound of music and see a bead curtain with light shining through it. The two men follow a waiter through the beads, where a saxophonist and jazz band is accompanying a woman in 1940's clothes.

"For nobody else. Gave me the thrill. With all your faults I love you still. It had to be you, wonderful you..." the woman sings.

___________

"Are you all right up there?" Rose shouts up to the kid.

"Muuummyy."

Rose makes her way up a fire escape staircase.

___________

"..It had to be you." the woman points towards the two new men standing at the entrance of the room as she finishes her song. The room erupts into applause, the two men smile and join in the applause.

The Doctor and Captain make their way to the stage "Excuse me! Excuse me, could I have everybody's attention? Just for a mo. Be very quick. Hello! Um..." the Doctor says into the microphone as the applause dies down. "Might seem like a stupid question, but has anything fallen from the sky recently?" he asks looking at the crowd, as the Captain scans the room hoping for someone or something to give themselves away.

The room bursts in to laughter, the two look around now confused. The Captain scans the room again looking for anything he might have missed previously.

___________

Rose is on a flat roof, the child still above her, she slowly makes her way towards the kid.

"Mummy!" the kid says looking off into the distance.

"Okay, hang on, don't move!" Rose shouts looking up at the kid. Rose looks around when a rope appears in front of her out of no where, she pulls on it a few times to make sure its sturdy.

___________

"Sorry, have I said something funny? It's just there's this thing I need to find. Would've fallen from the sky a couple of days ago." he says looking around the room. An air raid siren goes off as everyone starts leaving. "Would've landed quite near here... with a very loud..."

"Quickly as you can, down to the shelters."

"Doctor." the Captain says pointing towards a poster, that says 'Hitler Will Send No Warning!'

"..Bang." he finishes as he stares at the poster the Captain is pointing towards.

___________

Rose climbs the rope towards the child.

"Mummy? Balloon!" the kid says looking down at Rose before pointing up towards the barrage balloon.

"..Oh!" Rose shouts as the balloon drifts away. "Oh! Doctor! Captain! Doctor! Captain!" she shouts as she dangles over the city of London as lights shine up towards the sky. She looks across the city and sees explosions and fires start in various parts of London. A squadron of German planes head towards the defenceless Rose. She looks down "Okay, myabe not this T-shirt."

___________

The Doctor and Captain run back out to the alley, where they left Rose. "Rose?" the two men shout. They turn the corner to the Tardis, the Doctor stops when he hears a cat meow, the Captain carries on walking.

"You know, one day..." the Doctor says picking up the cat, as the Captain stops and turns around after hearing his friend start talking. "..just one day, maybe, we're gonna meet somebody who gets the whole 'don't wander off' thing. 900 years of phone-box travel, it's the only thing left to surprise me!" the Doctor pets the cat, when the Tardis phone rings.

The Doctor pauses and slowly turns around and stares at the Captain before the latter rushes towards the box. The Captain looks at the back of the box confused as the Doctor joins him. The man opens the door and they both look at the phone in the box.

"How can you be ringing?" the Captain asks.

"What's that about - ringing? What are we supposed to do with a ringing phone?" the Doctor says pulling out his screwdriver.

"Don't answer it. it's not for you." a young woman tells them.

The two men look over to her and walk towards her. "And how do you know that?" the Captain asks her.

"Cos I do. And I'm telling ya. Don't answer it."

"Well, if you know so much, tell me this - how can it be ringing? It's not even a real phone, it's not connected, it's not..." the Doctor says as he walks back towards the ringing phone, the Captain takes his eyes off the young woman for a split second and as they both look back she's gone.

The Doctor decides to answer the ringing phone "Hello? This is the Doctor speaking. How may I help you?" the man says speaking into the phone, as the Captain watches on amused but the confused man.

"Mummy? Mummy!" a child's voice says.

"Who is this?" the Doctor asks seriously. This makes the Captain drop his amused smile and walk a little closer to the man. "Who's speaking?"

"Are you my mummy?"

"Who is this?"

"Mummy!"

"How did you ring here? This isn't a real phone, it's not wired up to..."

"Mummy?" the child says and with that the phone lines goes dead. The Doctor takes the ear piece away from his ear and looks at the phone questioningly.

"So, who was it?" the Captain asks.

"A child, I don't know how, though. Rose? Rose, are you in there?" the Doctor says.

*CLATTER*

The Doctor looks off towards the where the noise had come from before closing the hatch on box. The two men run down the alley, a bell from a passing vehicle rings, the two men look around as they reach the bottom of the street, a dog barks and the two men run further down a road.

"The planes are coming. Can't you hear 'em? Into the shelter. None of you nosense. Now move it!" a woman's voice can be heard close by, the two men head towards it climbing on top of a couple rubbish bins to have a look over the wall. "Come on! Hurry up, get in there. Come on. Arthur? Arthur, will you 'urry up?! Didn't you hear the siren?"

The two men watch as a man leaves the house. "Middle of dinner, every night. Bloomin' Germans! Don't they eat?" he complains.

"I can hear the planes."

"Don't you eat?" he asks looking up towards the sky.

"Oh, keep your voice down, it's an air raid!" the woman tells the man. The two make their way into the shelter. "Get in! Look, there's a war on."

"I know there is! Don't push me."

The two men notice the young woman make her way through the garden as the shelter door closes, towards the house.

Once in the kitchen, she starts taking tinned goods from a cupboard.

___________

Meanwhile, dangling over the Thames near St Paul's, Rose has an excellent view of a typical night raid during the Blitz.

___________

An officer in a great coat stands on a balcony using a pair of very non-WW2 binoculars. He spots Rose in her predicament.

"Get those lights out. Everyone down to the shelter." an officer says.

"Jack, you going down to the shelter? Only I've got to go off on some silly guard duty. Ah, barrage balloon, eh? Must've come loose. Happens now and then. Don't you RAF boys use them for target practice?"

Jack zooms in on Rose's derriere and speaks with an American accent.

"Excellent bottom!" Jack says.

"I say, old man, there's a time and a place. Look, um, you should really be off." Algy turns back to Jack.

"Sorry, old man. I've got to meet a girl. But you've got an excellent bottom too." Jack says walk up to and slapping Algy on his backside before walking past him.

___________

Nancy finishes filling her little sack with provisions and heads for the front door. In the hallway she stops and looks into another room and smiles, then goes outside into the street, where she whistles twice then goes back inside. She takes her coat off as a couple of kids run in to see the feast.

"Many kids out there?" she asks.

"Yes, Miss." one of the boys answers.

"..Ah! Still carving. Sit and wait." she tells the two boys who rushed to grab whatever they can to eat. "Got the whole air raid." The two sit down and look at the table hungry.

"Look at that. Bet it's off the black market." 

"That's enough!"

___________

High over Westminster, Rose finally loses her grip on the thick rope. Screaming, she falls, and is caught in a beam.

"Okay, okay, I've got you." Jack announces to Rose.

"Who's got me? Who's got me and, you know, how?"

"I'm just programming your descent pattern. Stay still and keep your hands and feet inside the light field."

"Descent pattern?"

"Oh, and can you switch off your cell phone? No, seriously. It interferes with my instruments."

"You know no-one ever believes that?" Rose says turning off her phone.

"Thank you, that's much better."

"Oh, yeah, that's a real load off! I'm hanging in the sky in the middle of a German air raid, with a Union Jack across my chest but, hey, my mobile phone's off!"

"Be with you in a moment." he laughs.

___________

"The mobile communication device indicates non-contemporaneous life form." Jack's computer says.

"She's not from around here, no. Ready for you?"

___________

"Hold tight!" he tells Rose.

"To what?"

"Fair point."

"Wa-a-ah!" she screams as she hurtles down the light field.

___________

"I've got you. You're fine, you're just fine." Jack says catching her. "The tractor beam, it can scramble your head just a little." he laughs a little.

Rose stares at the man who's holding her in his arms. "Hello."

"Hello." he returns.

"Hello. Sorry. There was 'hello' twice there. Dull but, you know, thorough." she says.

"Are you all right?" he asks.

"I'm fine." she says and Jack lets her down. "Why, you expecting me to faint?"

"You look a little dizzy."

"What about you? You're not even in focus!" Rose says before fainting on Jack. He picks her back up and places her down a bed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12K 417 42
Regenerate alone and losing a certain companion, the Doctor crashed in Earth, and was found by Sam Piper, a tenth years old boy who was alone at Chri...
1.7K 45 21
Stranded alone after the Last Great Time War. Alone with the grief and guilt. One hundred years alone on Earth, forced to become like everyone else...