A missing piece... The other...

By 3HaNaNa3

Salvatore Smith meets a woman with whom he shared few nights after loosing his wife. It was 12 years ago, sh... More

Characters
Chapter 1 - Fumiko Tanaka...
Chapter 2 - Make a choice...
Chapter 3 - I am your father...
Chapter 4 - Strangers...
Chapter 5 - Give me a chance...
Chapter 6 - She was murdered...
Chapter 7 - Time to say Goodbye...
Chapter 8 - Make your choice...
Chapter 9 - One day after another...
Chapter 10 - New School...
Chapter 11 - New friend...
Chapter 12 - Where is Suki???
Chapter 13 - Onii-san...
Chapter 14 - School bully...
Chapter 15 - Otรด-san...
Chapter 16 - Normal days...
Chapter 17 - A day with you...
Chapter 18 - Paparazzi...
Chapter 19 - Takeshiro Tanaka...
Chapter 21 - Unexpected visit...
Chapter 22 - Gianni's training...
Chapter 23 - Weird...
Chapter 24 - Fight at school...
Chapter 25 - Valentina...
Chapter 26 - Uncle's attack...
Chapter 27 - Feelings...
Chapter 28 - Long night...
Chapter 29 - Mr Rossi...
Chapter 30 - The package...
Chapter 31 - Back to school...
Chapter 32 - School Festival?

Chapter 20 - Happy birthday Mom...

2.2K 101 16
By 3HaNaNa3

While Suki was changing in her bedroom, Salvatore exchanged with his sons about the update he received in the morning concerning Tanaka's business. They were talking when the twins joined them.

Davide: Aldo prepared a cake for us in advance? Cool...

Gabriel: Don't touch that! Suki baked it for her mother's birthday.

Davide: Her dead mother? Or in addition to that unexpected grandpa, a new mother showed up this morning?

Salvatore: (He sighed.) Davide, can't you be less stupid for once?! Until when do you plan to be an asshole with everything that concerns your little sister?

Davide: Well,... I don't consider that thing as a little sister... so, I guess, I will stay an asshole for a very long time...

Gabriel: My patience with you is coming to an end...

Davide: (He smirked.) Sorry... but not sorry! (He opened the fridge.)

Salvatore: Enough! I don't want to you see argue with each others today.

Dante: Enzo, any news about Tanaka son's schedule the past few weeks?

Enzo: It's complicated to hack every independent planes' companies, so I asked a friend of mine to check the government recordings. Even if he entered the country in private flights, they have to communicate the passport information. He will keep me update.

Salvatore: Good. We need to know if that man has something to do with Fumiko's murder.

Davide: I'm just asking, so don't kill me, but... why that girl doesn't want to go to leave with her mother's family? She looks more like them than us... physically and mentally...

Salvatore: Stop your bullshit!! (He was angry.)

Enzo: Bro'... stop now. We get it, you and Vito doesn't like her, even if she never did anything to you... but come on, we are checking if they are linked to her mother's death... how could you even think about that option?!

Gabriel: I'm wondering if you ever considered me as your brother...

Gabriel said those words without change of tone. He was more disappointed than angry at this level, and everyone stared at him.

Davide: It's different... and you are the one that forgot that we are your brothers since that girl was brought here!

Gabriel: So, what? You're acting like a jerk because you are jealous of an 11 years old child? That is your mean reason for rejecting her so badly? For treating her like shit? (Davide stayed silent.) It is not because you are a fu** asshole with a close mind, unable to see what he has to gain to open up to his little sister?!

Salvatore: Gabriel, that's enough. Davide, you too. Suki will come downstairs soon, and I don't want her to see the two of you fighting. Not today. 

Davide left the kitchen, not in the mood anymore to tease the others. He wanted to change his mind and walked to the room where they had games and a bar, the boys' room.

He passed in front of the library where Suki had planned to do her little ceremony and the door was half opened. He heard someone sniffing and when he looked inside, he noticed the little girl. She was holding the photo frame of her mother.

The young man observed her few seconds without saying anything. She eventually felt his presence and turned herself to look at the person in the frame of the door. She stared at him with her teary eyes, not knowing what to do or what to say. Davide was so unpredictable and still super scary.

Davide: Fu**... you're pissing me off! 

He made a step ahead and Suki dropped the photo frame. Davide's gaze was so intense that she thought that he could be kill her in an instant. But instead, he stopped in front of her and stared at her with intensity and his fists clinched.

Davide: Afraid?

Suki: I... I didn't do... anything...

Davide: Your existence is enough to give me a murder desire... what should I do about that? Hum? Tell me!

Suki: I... am sorry... I don't know... I won't bother you... I promise...

Davide smirked, satisfied of the fear that he created in her. It was puerile but he couldn't help it. It was his way to express his feelings, that anger that grew inside of him for the last decade.

After her mother passed away, he lacked a motherly affection, and his father and older brothers were always busy and too manly to give to the 3 youngest the love that they needed and properly take care of them, other than providing financial support.

Enzo, his twin brother, chose to bury himself in the virtual world, finding imaginary people more interesting... until that girl showed up. Because when that illegitimate child entered their family, his brother changed; he opened up to her and Davide didn't understand why. Why with her? He felt that his special link with him was stolen to her profit. Only Vito, who always followed him, stayed faithful. They had the same way of thinking and always back up each others. They didn't need that girl in their lives.

Davide: You are living your life pretty comfortably in my house, hum... having my dad and brothers doing all that you wish for... 

Davide bent to pick up the photo frame of Fumiko. He stared at it few more seconds in a heavy silence. Suki was staring at him, waiting for his mean words to come but surprisingly, he handed her the photo frame.

Salvatore: What are you doing here? What's going on?

Davide: Nothing... (He turned himself to face his father.) Your dear daughter was crying... and it was not my doing... so don't need to threaten me or anything else...

Salvatore: Suki?

Suki: (She whipped her eyes.) I was surprised and I dropped it...

Davide: Happy... Dad... I didn't do anything to your precious princess...

Salvatore: I guess that you don't plan on participating to Suki's ceremony? (Davide shook his head.) That's what I thought.

Davide: I'm leaving... have fun with the dead... (He left.)

Salvatore: Davide!!! That... (He looked at Suki.)... Sorry...

Suki: (She tried to smile.) It's nothing... thank you... to be here...

Salvatore smiled and patted his daughter head with affection. A minute later, Gabriel and Enzo entered the library. The little girl was touched by their presence, and she lightened the candles, then the incense. She hadn't notice that Dante was on the back, near the door, arms crossed, his back against the wall.

She said few words to her mother in Japanese before seating at the piano. She was shy and a bit embarrassed, even more now that she saw Dante, but she prepared a short song for her mother as a gift. Maybe her mother's soul would be able to hear her music. It was a childish hope, but who knows... Whenshe finished, her emotion was visible.

Salvatore: It is a really nice gift. Your mother would be proud of you, just like we are.

Suki: Thank you... Otô-san... Onii-san, Onii-chan... and Dante too...

She faced her mother's photo and bowed for long seconds. When she was done, Salvatore approached her he put his hand on her back. She lifted her head to look at him and she was trying her best to not cry. Her father authorized himself to hug her.

She was surprised but she let herself go on this unusual embrace. It was new and recomforting. She felt loved and safe. She hugged him back and cried in silence for few more seconds. Enzo looked down, feeling the sadness of his little sister. Dante left the room without a word while Gabriel stayed with an impassible expression but inside, he was sad and angry to see that little angel crying.

Salvatore: (She calmed down.) Suki... Are you alright?

Suki: Ah... (She detached herself from him.)... yes... sorry...

Salvatore: You don't have to apologize, I'm glad that you trust your father enough to let me comfort you. What did you plan after that?

Suki: I was just going to eat a piece of the cake.

Salvatore: Sure, let's go. (He grabbed the plate with the cake.)

Gabriel: You prepared a great ceremony for your mother. (He smiled.)

They went to the living room and Gianni was there with Dante. Davide and Vito, who finally woke up, preferred to stay upstairs. Salvatore put the cake on the table while Enzo brought the necessary from the kitchen. Suki cut pieces and put the first one in the middle of the table. They all understood that it was for Fumiko.

Then, the little girl offered one to her father, then to her brothers, starting by the eldest Gabriel. She handed one to Dante and Gianni, ready to be rejected by the two men but they accepted it. To finish, she gave one to Enzo.

Suki: Hum... do you think that Davide and Vito would like to eat it too?

Salvatore: I saw that you already cut it so that there are a piece for each of your brothers... I am sure that they would not resist if you let its on the kitchen counter. (She nodded.) Now, let's try your cake.

Enzo: It's good... You can bake cakes for me whenever you want!

Gianni: Hum... not bad... not too sweet... one good point for you...

Suki: Thank you... (She blushed, happy to be complimented.)

Suki was glad that everything went well, just as she planned it. She was even positively surprised by some of her brothers. She thanked them and her father told her that it was not necessary, that they were a family. When they were done eating the cake, the little girl took everything back to the kitchen with Enzo's help.

Enzo: Eh Suki... (She looked at him.)... I find the way you decided to celebrate your mother's birthday pretty cool... and I think that it would be nice... if I do something similar for my mom... you will help me?

Suki: Yes, with pleasure! (She smiled.)

Enzo: It's not before few months but instead of being sad and angry that day, it could be nice to remember the good times instead...

Suki: Onii-chan... (She called him with a little voice.)

Enzo: (He looked at her.) Hum...

Suki: Do you... still miss your mom a lot?

Enzo: Days like today... yes... a lot... but with time, things get better.

The siblings were done putting everything in place. Suki thanked Enzo once again then she decided to taka a walk in the huge garden, the weather being pleasant.

Vito and Davide entered the kitchen just few seconds later. Enzo was still there, observing his little sister from the window.

Davide: So,... your little party with the ghosts is done?

Enzo: Yes, it is... and I think it was pretty cool...

Vito: That cake is still here? I thought that it was for her dead mother? Did she come back from the dead to eat it?

Enzo: Don't be stupid, she kept a piece apart and she shared the rest with us. Those two are for you, brothers... and you should give it a try, it's pretty good!

Vito: Hum... not sure... I don't want to be intoxicated by that girl!

Enzo: Be reassured, we all ate him and are perfectly well!

Davide: Ahhh... I'm starving... (He looked at the cake.)... If I'm sick because of that shit, I will kill that useless girl! (He took a bite.)... hum... not bad... at least... I can use her to cook for me...

Enzo shook his head in front of his twin brother's stubbornness.

Enzo: Do that and Dad or Gabriel will kick your little ass... but it can be fun to watch...

Vito: Bro'... your twin is a fu** traitor... I'm so sorry for you...

Enzo: Vito, stop your bullshit!

Vito: Really? Bullshit? You sided with that girl as soon as she entered our house and now, you even participated to that masquerade of birthday celebration! For the woman that Dad had that illegitimate girl with!

Davide: He gets a point...

Enzo: Yes, I decided to be open mind. I decided that Suki was not responsible for our Dad's behavior and even if I don't agree with what he did... Mom was already dead! She was... dead... and I am sure that she would have prefer to see him happy with someone else that living alone for the rest of his life or in a weird fake love business relationship... just like now... with that bit** of Valentina! 

This time, Enzo was scoring a point. And his words were right, even for his two stubborn brothers, but they won't admit it. Enzo was sincere, talking with emotions as he mentioned his late mother.

Enzo: Guys... I get that Suki's arrival in our lives was disturbing and we all dealt with it differently... just like we managed with Mom's absence differently. The three of us... know more than anyone... what it feels to suddenly lose our mother... but even if Dad was a bit distant and our brothers too busy... we were there for each others...

Davide: And you want to say not her...

Enzo: She was losing her world and she had to live with strangers overnight... strangers that hated her as soon as they had found out about her. But despite that... she tried to not bother us and...

Vito: Ahh... okay okay, we get it... you accepted her, lucky her... but she is still annoying and, the less I see her, the better I am!

Davide: Me too... (He finished his cake.)

Enzo: You are both reacting like kids... and I won't try to convince you... one day, you will understand by yourselves... 

Enzo left his brothers. He was confident that they would change their behavior toward Suki. They were maybe tough and stubborn, but they valued family a lot and little by little, the little girl was gaining her place in that family.

Vito: That girl, she changed them... not only Dad and Gabriel... but even Dante and Gianni have a soft spot for her...

Davide: (He was staring at Suki in the garden from the window.) Hum... and now, it's impossible to have her leave our house...

Vito: Dad will be piss off but there is still that grandfather's option that showed up yesterday...

Davide: Trust me, the second guy, her uncle, seems more ready to kill her on the spot than to welcome her with open arms... and if something happens to her... Dad will turn the world upside down to revenge.

Vito: So, you also think that that guy killed his half sister?

Davide: Nothing is impossible... we almost did the same, after all...

While talking with his little brother, Davide was following Suki's walking in the garden and his attention was attracted by one of the guard. His behavior was suspicious for the young Smith.

He observed him for a moment, and he noticed that the man had his phone on his hand, probably filming the little girl. Hesmirked,finding someone he would dischargehis anger on.

Vito: Where are you going?

Davide: Tell Dad that I found a rat outside...

Vito saw his brother leaving by the kitchen's door to the garden and when he looked through the window, he didn't understand the situation. Did Davide was talking about that girl? If yes, he wouldn't want to inform his father. It was weird.

Outside, Davide approached discreetly. Suki was not paying attention to her surrounding, she was looking at the first growing flowers, wondering what they would look like. Everything was calm and she liked that peaceful moment.

She saw the numerous guards on duty on the propriety, but she was now accustomed to their presence. They were very discreet, and no one dare to talk to her, she was the boss' only daughter.

So, when one of them was following her at distance, she thought that it was simply her father's request, and she didn't try to know more about it.

Davide: You really have guts... (His cold and deep voice resonated.)

Suki: (She quickly turned herself, startled.) I... I didn't...

Davide: (He smirked.) For once, I'm not talking to you... idiot... you... (The bodyguard lifted his head to look at Davide.)... Yeah, I'm talking about you... You must not care about your life, to dare go against the Smith family...

Guard: I don't understand.

The guard pretended not to know but there was someone who really didn't know what was going on, Suki. She had her gaze fixed on her brother, worried about what he could do, with that dark look. 

Davide: I'm sure that you understand pretty well... you should come clean if you want to have a little chance to stay alive! (His tone became more menacing.)

Suki: D... Davide...

Davide: You, go inside!

At the same time, inside the house, Vito went to inform his father. 

Vito: Dad... it seems that something's going on outside... with your daughter. Davide went to check but you should probably go too!

Salvatore and his sons quickly went out. They saw Suki with a worried expression staring at Davide and a guard not far. They approached and the tension became denser. When the other guards saw Salvatore and his sons out, they also changed their attitude, they were in alert. Suki saw her father and brothers coming and it made her make a step in their direction but with her attention still on Davide.

Enzo and Vito stayed on the terrasse, observing what was happening. Dante, him, was ready to take out his gun, thing that he did few seconds later. Because, suddenly, Suki froze and closed her eyes, hands in up in front of her, in a defensive way when she saw Davide running toward her.

Salvatore: Suki!

Davide: Fu** jerk...!!! (He punched the guard who was now in the little girl's back.) You're a dead man!

Gabriel ran and enveloped his little sister in his embrace, surprising her. She opened her eyes to understand what was going on.

Gabriel: It's me, don't be afraid!

Suki: Onii-san... what... (She wanted to look behind them, but he blocked her view.)

Salvatore: Take her inside! (Gabriel nodded and left with Suki.) Davide, stop, we need to interrogate him. Take him to the meeting room!

Davide stopped at his father's order. He had punched the guard several times. Dante had his gun pointed at him. Gianni asked the other guards to take him to the room for interrogation. Salvatore picked up the phone from the grass and they walked to the little house where his office was.

Enzo: Suki, are you alright? Are you hurt somewhere?

Suki: No... but Davide... he...

Vito: He just saved your life! (She looked at him, surprise.) What? You hadn't notice that someone was behind you?!

Gabriel: Vito, it's not the time for that. Suki, please take a seat. (He touched her hair.) It must be confusing, but Davide was not trying to hurt you. There was a guard that was a bit too close from you and it seems that your brother finally acted as a brother.

Suki: He... he is fighting with that guard? Because of me?

Gabriel: It's nothing serious, don't worry. Enzo, please, take her to her bedroom so she can refresh herself and I will check on Davide.

Suki followed Enzo with a lot of questions in her head. She was worried for Davide, even if she was most of the time scared of him, he was still her brother. When she entered her room, she tried to see him in the garden through the window, but he was not there anymore.

Enzo: I'm sure he is okay... that guy probably didn't even understand what happened to him... Davide is a pretty rough fighter.

Suki: I can imagine...

Enzo: Try to forget that incident, okay? (She nodded.) Good, I will see you later...

Suki went to her bathroom to refresh herself, and after a while, she dared to go downstairs. The living room was silent. She took a look outside through the big window and she saw her 3 youngest older brothers coming from the little house. She waited for them to enter, and she immediately noticed Davide's red hand. She was scared to ask him if he was alright, and he noticed that.

Davide: Stop staring at me like that...

Suki: Sorry... are you... alright?

Enzo: Davide, just tell her that you are fine, don't be mean, she was sincerely worried for you.

Vito: He hates you, so why are you worried? It's stupid!

Davide: She is stupid! A stupid and useless thing... (He smirked.)

Enzo: You see... Davide is still the same Davide, so don't mind him!

Davide mimicked to flick Suki's forehead without touching her and shook his head when she closed her eyes, ready to be hit. He left to his room without a word.

Suki opened her eyes after few seconds and saw Vito laughing. She sat, embarrassed and played nervously with her hands. Enzo handed her a bottle of water with a small smile.

In the house of the garden, the ambiance was less childish. The Smith brothers were interrogating the guard with the help of their fists while Salvatore was exploring his phone.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.3M 164K 101
Carlotta Angela Vasiliev is a 17 year old girl living with her adoptive Russian mafia family of 4 brothers and father. Ever since she was a child, sh...
520K 10.3K 105
violet jones grew up around people that she feared. one day she got thrown a massive curve ball, her whole life blowing up just within just two days...
725K 17K 74
Book 1 of the ๐•ฑ๐–Ž๐–Œ๐–๐–™๐–ˆ๐–‘๐–š๐–‡ series {Duology} ๐–ค“ ๐”–๐”ฅ๐”ข ๐” ๐”ฌ๐”ซ๐”ฎ๐”ฒ๐”ข๐”ฏ๐”ข๐”ก ๐”ž๐”ฉ๐”ฉ ๐”ฅ๐”ข๐”ฏ ๐”ก๐”ข๐”ช๐”ฌ๐”ซ๐”ฐ ๐”ž๐”ซ๐”ก ๐”ด๐”ฌ๐”ฏ๐”ข ๐”ฅ๐”ข๐”ฏ ๐”ฐ๐” ๐”ž๐”ฏ๐”ฐ ๐”ฉ๐”ฆ๐”จ๐”ข...
Macrina By Maya F

General Fiction

80.5K 2.9K 65
"Honestly, I think you're really gonna like New York." "New York? Like New York City, New York?" "The one and only," my cousin grinned, taking a swig...