Not So Loved (West Coast Camp...

By BeccaRuth_

"You'd love me even if the star doesn't shine?" "Even then, Nova. Even then." This is a reverse grumpy x suns... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37

Chapter 29

7.3K 255 128
By BeccaRuth_

Rhys

"I think this is the day I quit. I know I say that everyday but I think I'm actually gonna do it." Cam bitches from the back of Noah's truck, his body sprawled across the back seat.

Noah arches an eyebrow at him through the rear view mirror. "Is it because Coach actually made you work today? Because you couldn't play peek-a-boo with the team?"

Cam huffs, giving Capt the finger. "Yes. Of course it's that. Who voluntarily wants to play hockey? Peek-a-boo is so much better. Or hide and seek."

I roll my eyes, shaking my head at Cameron. He does have a position on our team but half the time no one can remember what it is.

"How the fuck do you play hide and seek?" I ask, amused, which makes Noah glare at me for entertaining Cam's foolishness.

Cam lights up, sitting up straight. "Well, today I went and told Tyler he was it and had to come find me. Guess where I was hiding?"

It's silent for a few moments before I realize he wants us to ask him. "Where were you hiding Cam?" My voice is sarcastic.

"I hid behind Capt. He's the best fucking wall to hide behind. Thick legs, broad arms. Tyler didn't find me for the first ten minutes of practice." Cam crosses his arms, a proud smug setting on his face.

Noah let's out a laugh. I blink in surprise. "So that's what I kept tripping over. I thought I left my guards on but it was just Cam."

Cam rubs his side, pouting. "And you kept elbowing me. That shit hurt."

Noah shrugs, not a care in the world. I snicker.

Cam opens his mouth to say something but is fortunately interrupted when Noah's phone goes off, the centre console letting us know it's a call from Allie. Noah answers it and Cam hoots.

"Oh Allieeee. Guess what? Today, I was playing hide and seek with-" Cam gets cut off when Allie starts speaking.

"Noah? Could you come pick me up?" She sounds out of breath. Scared even.

Noah blinks, confused. "Of course. But I thought you were going home with Maeve?"

There's a quiet sob, like she pulled away for a moment before her sniffles become louder again. "I was but she got a call from what sounded like Liam and she got all freaked out and-yeah."

Cam pats my shoulder, worry creasing his eyebrows but all I can do is shrug and listen.

Noah's hands tighten on the steering wheel, his left knee bouncing. He's clearly anxious as I watch him pull into a parking lot to turn around. "Are you still at the arena, love?"

"Yes." Her voice shudders.

"Okay, we're turning around now. I'll be there as quick as I can, Allie."

"O-okay."

I sit up straight, hands clenching. "Allie? What's wrong with Liam?"

"I'm not sure, Rhys. She didn't tell me. But uh-maybe you guys should go check on her first. She sounded like she really needed someone. I'll be okay." Allie explains, and I can hear how worried she is.

I swallow. "Noah I think we should-"

What if something really bad actually happened? What if- I can't live without Maeve again. Or Liam. The thought makes me want to curl up and sob.

His head snaps towards me, jaw ticking and eyes narrowed. "Allie but-" He sounds like he wants to cry.

"I'll be okay, Noah. I promise. The arenas locked for the night but I found a Starbucks to sit at. So I think you should drive Rhys to Maeve's." Allie's tone is light but it's still shaky, like something scared her.

Noah sags in his seat, his left hand rubbing his eyes. Now I really think he's about to cry. I'm practically begging him at this point to turn around and go to Maeve's. "Allie but-" He breaks off, covering his mouth. "-Nothing happened right?"

Cam looks spaced out, and I think we're both remembering walking into the locker room after that home game last season and seeing Allie sobbing into Noah, Mark fucking River passed out in the corner and Noah wiping away his own silent tears.

Thats was fucking traumatizing.

"No. Nothing happened. I'm fine, baby. Please go check on Liam. And Maeve." She almost sounds fine but I've been so worried about Maeve and Liam that I hadn't even realized that Noah turned around a while ago and that we're a few blocks away from Maeve's apartment.

Noah and Allie say something else I don't hear and by the time Noah's parking, I'm fucking shaking like I have the fever.

"Rhys. Breath. It'll be okay. And if it's not, we'll work through it." Cam coos, patting my shoulder as he hops out and comes around to my door, poking me when I don't move. He sighs.

"Listen. You sitting here isn't going to do a damn thing. And neither is Noah and I going up there because we're not the people she needs right now. It's you. So, I know this is scary but you have to pull yourself together and be the strong one in this situation because I have a feeling Maeve needs one day where she ain't that person." Cam lectures, his voice serious, something that has me blinking in shock because Cam is never serious.

I swallow. Nod. "Okay. But you're still going to be here right?"

Cam's my ride or die. Was since I was fifteen.

He grins, slapping my back as we jog up the stairs. "Of course. And Noah's here as well. No one's alone."

Maeve's door is locked when I try the handle so I bang on the door and shout, not caring if it wakes up her neighbours.

The door flings open to reveal Maeve, who looks like she's about to fucking murder me. Oh shit.

"What? I just got Liam to sleep and Ava finally went to bed after watching him all afternoon."

My jaw slacks. "So everything's okay? Everyone's good?"

Maeve hesitates, eyes going over my shoulder before meeting mine. She kicks her feet nervously. "Did Allie get home? I was just about to go back to the arena and see if she did."

"No. She wanted us to come check on you first." Noah says, clearly pissed but he does sound relieved. I know he's glad Liam's okay.

Maeve startles. Like she's surprised that she's a first choice. It breaks my heart.

"Well, Liam called me all upset so I panicked and took the Uber here. I thought our Dad showed up and-well. I didn't want Allie here if he was." Maeve whispers, vulnerability shining in her voice.

"Come here, Nova." I haul her into a hug, not missing the way she shudders into a sob.

"I'm sorry I worried you. You-you didn't have to come here." She glances toward Noah. "And I'm sorry I left Allie at the arena. That was a dick move-"

"It's okay. You were worried about Liam. She understands that. Just to make you feel better, I would leave you at an arena if needed for Allie." Noah says, bored.

Maeve snorts. "Hey, at least you're honest."

"And you're sure everyone's okay?" Cam asks.

Maeve nods, smiling. Cam claps his hand together, rocking on his heels.

"Great. Noah-let's go get Allie and then can we stop for ice cream? Please? I've been such a good boy today." Cam begs, turning to Noah with his puppy dog eyes.

Noah sighs, a small smile on his face. "Sure. Because you worked so hard in practice today."

Cam giggles, winking at me and mouthing something like, "I'll mark it down on the tracker."

After they leave, I make sure Liam's still asleep before sliding him on top of me so Maeve can take a break from being smushed. She stirs on my other side.

"Rhys?" Maeve's voice is full of sleep.

"Nova?"

"I do love you. You know that right? I'm sorry if I don't say it enough."

I kiss her nose, tucking her into my side so I know she's safe. "I do. I know so much."

"Even if the star doesn't shine?"

I grin. "Even then, Nova. Even then."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38.1M 1M 75
In which I fall in love with my brother's best friend. ***** "Don't pretend like you don't feel anything." His voice is low, sending shivers down my...
142K 1.6K 10
My mate. So weak. So pathetic. I have a weak and pathetic mate. I thought as I looked at her in disgust and displeasure. Just like me when I was huma...
43.8K 778 31
(NOT FULLY EDITED) Madison has dealt with abuse and heart ache her whole life thinking that it was what she deserved. First her parents then her boyf...
194K 8.6K 52
A bet. A tape. A betrayal. Two years ago everything crumbled in Nova Jensen's perfect world after trusting her heart to the wrong person only to find...