The Walking Dead Season 3: A...

Sundance364 द्वारा

When family is all you have left...how far will you go to protect it? After society was ripped apart by undea... अधिक

Character Descriptions
Season 3 Episode 1: Ties That Bind Part 1
Season 3 Episode 2: Ties That Bind Part 2
Season 3 Episode 3: Above The Law
Season 3 Episode 4: Thicker Than Water

Season 3 Episode 5: From The Gallows

3 0 0
Sundance364 द्वारा

(A/U: The outfit on top is Winona's outfit and the outfit on the bottom is Sequoia's)

FLASHBACK

Third POV

Javier, David, and Salvador are playing dominoes.  "While we're still breathing, Javi..." David Said. "I'm letting the bones speak to me." Javier said. "Heh... Oh, my God." David said. "Oh, I think I can hear them! They're saying, "You're gonna lose, come mierda (shit), so play already." Salvador said. "I must've inherited patience from Ma." Javier said. Salvador and David's Comments: "Oh... Come on, man!" David said. "Calm down, David. No one is ever in a rush to lose." Salvador said. "My beer's getting warm!" David said. "Drink faster!" Salvador said. Javi plays his domino. "¡Victoria! (Victory)!" Javier said. David plays his domino. "¡Carajo! (Damn) I was so close! You're now my least favorite son, Javier." Salvador said. "Hey, he's the one who beat you!" Javier said. "Fine. It's a tie. I hate you both equally." Salvador said. Javi plays his domino. "If he plays his last bone..." Salvador said. David plays his domino. "You're out of the will, Javier." Salvador said. "Kicked out of baseball. Can't play dominoes. What exactly are you good at again, Javi?" David asks. "At least I can actually play baseball. Slugger..." Javier said. "That's enough, both of you! It's not Javi's fault he's a disgrace to the game of dominoes." Salvador said. "I won. That's ten bucks you owe me. Both of you. I know you're broke, Javi. You should sit out the next game, since we all know I'm gonna win. No shame in surrender. We would all understand." David said.

"Good game, David. Nicely played." Javier said. "Nice or not, a win is a win." David said. "Pay up, little brother. If you can..." David said. "I'll cover for Javier." Salvador said. "Oh, is it your turn to do that now? I lost track. Poor, helpless Javi." David said. "Get my wallet, mijo (Millet)." Salvador said. "Keep an eye on him. You don't want him snatching an extra 20 for gas money." David said. "It's on the counter." Salvador said. "Yeah. Sure, Pa." Javier said. Javi opens Salvador's wallet and takes out a piece of paper. "Pa, what's this?" Javier said. David takes the paper from Javi. "Hey, man, I was reading that! What? What's up?" Javier said. "What the fuck is this?" David asks. "None of your business!" Salvador said. Salvador takes the paper from David. "He has cancer." David said. "What?! Pa, really?!" Javier asks. "I'm old. Old people get cancer. You didn't need to know." Salvador said. "That's not for you to decide! Oh, my God!" David said.

"You really should have told us. It's the right thing to do." Javier said. "It's my cancer. I get to do whatever I want. You know now! What difference does it make?" Salvador said. "How... bad?" Javier asks. "It's okay, mijo (darling). Ask me." Salvador said. "How bad is it?" Javier asks. "You won't have to worry about paying me back that ten bucks." Salvador said. "Oh, Jesus fucking Christ, Pa!" David said. "Ay! Settle, David! Now!" Salvador said. "You haven't told Mama!" David said. "And neither will either of you. You hear me? Mouths shut." Salvador said. "That's not okay, Pa! You have to tell her!" Javier said. "Agh. When the time is right, I... I will." Salvador said. "That's not good enough!" David said. "It's good enough for me." Salvador said.

"You're going to need her help with this, Pa. Driving you to the doctor, getting prescriptions..." David said. "Wait. What are your options? Treatment, stuff like that?" Javier asks. "(sits down) Chemo, radiation... All that expensive mierda (shit)." Salvador said. "Great! When do you start?" David asks. "I turned it down." Salvador said. "Turned it down? You don't get to turn it down!" David said. "So much money and for what? Another month? Another game of dominoes to lose? It's not worth it!" Salvador said. "If I was still playing ball, I... could've paid for it." Javier said. "I'll pay for it!" David said. "It's not happening. Save your money." Salvador said. "Fuck the money, I can afford it!" David said. "You can afford it, David, but my pride can't! Let's play another game." Salvador said. David sweeps the dominoes away and slams on the table. "You're a fucking coward! A selfish coward! Javi, can you believe this shit?!" David asks. "David. I get it, man. It's not fair, but come on! Take it easy!" Javier said.

"Sit down." Salvador said. David sits down. "Both of you." Salvador said. Javi sits down. "You know, I prayed for daughters, every night your mother was pregnant with both of you. "Please, God! A daughter! Anything but a son, anything but another me. Anything but another hot-headed idiot with his heart in the right place. Anything but another foolhardy, handsome gambler. Anything at all." Salvador said. "Please, Papa. Don't give up. Fight. Fight for our name. For our blood! For our family! Please! Fight!" David begged. "You have to fight, Pa. We don't just give up. Any of us." Javier said. You told him to keep fighting. "Okay." Salvador said. "Okay?" Javier asks. "Okay... I'll think about it." Salvador said. "Oh, thank you, Pa. Thank you, Javi." David said. "Now, can we play another game?" Salvador asks. "I'll grab some more beers." David said. David leaves. "So, what are you really gonna do?" Javier asks. "Truth be told? Whatever gets your mother off my ass. You think you two were mad at me for keeping secrets? But it's good to see you and David on the same side of things, for a change. I'm gonna be a name carved in stone before you know it, Javier. That'll be me: letters on a rock that nobody wants to visit. I know you think you're strong enough to handle that alone. And so does your brother. And you're both wrong. You have to take care of each other. You two are all I'll leave behind. Like Gabe and Mariana will be for David. Legacy, Javier. It's all anyone leaves behind. That and their... bones. Be brothers. Before it's too late. That's not too much to ask. One last favor for your old man." Salvador said.

"Okay, Pa. I'll try." Javier said. "As hard as you can?" Salvador asks. "As... as hard as I can." Javier said. You promised to be a good brother. "I still need to pay David." Salvador said. "Pa..." Javier said. "¡Oye! (Hey) If you had just won the game, we wouldn't have had this problem!" Salvador said. "So you're blaming me for all this?" Javier asks. "I'm depending on you, mijo (millet). We both are." Salvador said.

TOWN SQUARE

Winona's POV

"Kate!" Javier yelled. Javier either shoots a walker or dodges it, then starts to run up to the truck. They take cover as the New Frontier fires at them. Javi tries to kill a walker nearing the truck, but just shoots off its leg. Javier fires at the New Frontier, injuring a soldier. A civilian wrestles for the other soldier's gun. As Javi leaves cover, a walker knocks him over, and he shoots it. Javi reaches the truck and kicks the nearby walker. "Kate?! Kate?! Gabe?!" Javier called. A walker grabs his ankle, and Javi shoots it. He runs through the square. "Kate?! Gabe?! David?!" Javier called. "Over here?! Where's Kate?" David asks. "She's not here. She must've gotten out." Javier spoke up. "If something's happened to her, if you've gotten her-- You better hope she's alive." David said.

(If David didn't punch Javi in the cell.) "How about a "you're welcome"? I just saved your life!" Javier said. "Is that what you're thinking about? Kate's more important than your ego!" David said. "Javi and David run through the square. "Kate!" Javier yelled. "Kate!" David yelled. David sees a walker resembling Kate fall nearby. "Kate!" David yelled. "David, wait!" Javier said. David inspects the walker, and it tackles him. Javi tries to pull it away with his bat. Kate hits it in the head with a crowbar. "I found you!" Kate said relieved. "Kate, I'm so glad you're--" David said. "Javi! thank God you're alright! (hugs Javi) I'm just glad you're still in one piece. Thanks for making it back to me." Kate said.

"You're alive! I thought I'd lost you back there." Javier said. "Same." Kate said. David shoots an approaching walker and stomps on its head. "What the hell's the matter with you two? Focus on your surroundings!" David said. Nearby, Gabe, Winona, Sequoia and Clementine are surrounded by walkers. "There's Gabe, Winona, Sequoia and Clem!" Javier said. "Lead the way, Javi." Kate said. Javi, Kate and David run up to them, killing walkers on the way. "Get the knee, like this!" Clem said. Clem kicks a walker's knee, then stabs it in the head. Gabe does the same. "Nice!" Clem said. "I got a great teacher." Gabe said. "You guys alright?" Javier ask. "Yeah." Clem said. "I'm fine!" Gabe said. "Look at them. There's so many!" Kate said. "We'll be safer inside! Get in!" David said. The group enters the nearby building.

STAIRWELL

Sequoia's POV

The group barricades the door. "That should hold them for now." Javier said. "You put up a good fight out there." David said. "I don't care what you think." Gabe said. "Gabriel, do not take that tone with me!" David said. "You murdered that man! After they let you go. You're a killer, just like they said." Gabe said. "You did that?" Kate asks. "You don't understand. It was them or us! I had to do it! They would never let us go! They still would've killed us, sooner or later." David said.

Gabe walks away and stands behind Javi. "Hey, you do not walk away from me! When someone speaks to you, you stand up and answer them. Even if you don't want to." David said. "He's scared. Cut him some slack." Javier said. "He's scared because you've coddled him! He has to learn to deal with his problems. I'm just... I'm trying to protect you, Gabe. I lost you once. I won't let it happen again. Okay?" David asks. "You screwed up, David! You were completely out of control! Now everyone in town's going to think you've lost your mind." Javier said. "You know I'm right. I had to strike first!" David said. "His brains... splattered all over me!" Gabe said. "You are my son. I'm doing what any parent would do to keep you safe. You do not get to judge my actions. Do you hear me?" David asks. Gabe walks away and stands behind Javi. "Hey, you do not walk away from me! When someone speaks to you, you stand up and answer them. Even if you don't want to." David said. "David, that's enough. He's not a little boy! He doesn't need that from you." Javier said.
David: What he needs is to learn to keep his opinions to himself until he understands what the hell he's talking about." David said.

"We made it through alive. Let's just be glad about that." Javier spoke up. "We need to check the other entrances. Make sure we're safe. Gabe, wanna help me out?" David asks. "Javi?" Gabe asks. "Gabriel!" David said. "Go help him, Gabe. It's okay." Javier said. "He doesn't need your permission!" David said. "I'll help too." Clem said. "Okay." Gabe said. "Gabe, Clem, and David go downstairs. "Hey, Clem's with them. It's fine." Javier said. "It's not that. It's-- let's just... I'm all over the place. I need to focus on something. Anything. Just need to focus. On... whatever." Kate said. "Let's just go upstairs. The further we are from these doors, the happier I'll be. I just want to get as much distance between us and the muertos as I can." Javier said. "Yeah... yeah, okay." Kate said. "Let's go." Winona said. Javi, Winona, Sequoia and Kate go upstairs.

HALLWAY

Third POV

There are several survivors in the hallway, most of which are wounded. "Oh, my God. This is a fucking nightmare." Kate said. "Mommy, it's them!" A child said. "I'm glad Mariana didn't live to see this. To her what her father's become. To see what I've done. She'd be just like that little boy, scared that the monsters are coming after her next. She would never trust us again. And I wouldn't blame her." Kate said. "Kate, come on. We're not monsters." Javier said. "I don't know who we are anymore. But it's not the people she knew." Kate said. They walk through the hallway and see someone crying over the body of their loved one. "I did this to them. That hole is there because of me. This is all my fault." Kate said.

"I'm just as responsible for it as you are." Javier said. "You weren't behind the wheel, Javi. It's different." Kate said. "I can't leave until I make this right. All of this. Let's fix this. As best we can." Kate said. "Alright, Kate. Let's make things right." Javier said. "I don't know if it's actually possible. But I feel a lot better knowing you're there too." Kate said. Javier and Kate enter one of the rooms.

APARTMENT

Winona's POV

Eleanor is treating Rufus. "You've got a lot of nerve showing up here, after the bullshit you pulled! You're unbelievable. Absolutely unbelievable." Eleanor said. (If Javi took the deal) "You saw what happened, Eleanor! I tried to negotiate. I wasn't the one who started shooting! But still...Why did you tell Joan what we were doing?" Javier asks. "I was triaging a bad situation. Their doctor is dead. And before you guys fucked it all up, their walls worked. It's not only about me. I can actually save lives here, not just stitch them up and hope for the best. These people will die without me, Javi." Eleanor said.

"I know she... well, fucked us over, but she's trying to help them. She's trying to make something right. That's worth forgiving, right? She's trying. That counts." Kate spoke up. "Eleanor's one of us. Maybe she forgot it, but I haven't." Javier said. "Thank you, Javi." Eleanor said. "We should try to help. Not everyone here is guilty." Kate said. Gabe, Clem, Winona, Sequoia and David enter the apartment. "Fern? Is that you, darlin'?" Rufus asks. "I'm here, handsome." Fern said. "Fern and Rufus. What's wrong with him?" David asks. "Bitten. He's slipping in and out of delirium." Eleanor said. "We have to find Ida. We have to find our daughter." Rufus said. "I... I know, hon." Fern said. "I know that guy. We had a... situation. He's lucky I didn't shoot him." Javier said. "Looks like his luck just ran out." David said.

"Let them have a minute. It's the least we can do." Eleanor said. "(holding axe) Y'all get over here! You gotta... cut his arm off!" Fern said. "It's too far along. I'm sorry." Eleanor said. "Bullshit! It can work! I've seen it!" Fern said. "Do you want his last moments alive to be more painful than they need to be?" Eleanor asks. "I just want to try. I can't... lose everyone. Please, I'm begging you. Please!" Fern begged. "I'll try. Hand over that axe." Javier said. "Thank you. (gives axe)" Fern said. "Don't thank me yet." Javier said. David moves the coffee table and places Rufus' arm on it. Javi amputates it and Rufus screams, then dies. Fern checks his pulse. "No. No. No! No! (crying)" Fern said. "I told you. He was too far along. The blood loss didn't help either, I'm sure." Eleanor said. "I'm sorry, I tried." Javier said. "(crying) No!" Fern yelled. "So what can I do?" Kate asks. Fern pulls out a gun and points it at Javi. "What the...?" Javier asks. "We're all fucking dead because of you!" Fern said. "Hey, easy. We're--" Javier said.

"You blew a hole in our wall! Got my little girl killed! Got my whole fucking family killed! Richmond was fine until your stupid ass showed up!" Fern said. "Easy, Fern..." David said. "We're dead fucking meat, David! Might as well take out this asshole while I can!" Fern said. "Fern..." David said. "Shut up!" Fern said. "Put it down. You don't want to hurt anyone." Javier said. "Ida was my baby!" Fern yelled. "Stand down. That's an order." David said. Kate steps in front of the gun. "Kate, no!" Javier said. "Fern, this is all because of me. I caused the explosion. I killed your daughter. Please... forgive me. It's my fault. Please." Kate said. "This won't bring your daughter back." Javier said. Fern's hand shakes and she starts to cry. David grabs her wrist and breaks her arm, taking her gun. "No!" Eleanor said. "Fern!" Kate said. "Holy shit!" Gabe said. "David!" Kate said. "Oh, my God!" Javier said. Rufus starts to reanimate. David shoots Rufus. "Oh, my God! Dad!" Gabe said. "You're welcome, Javi." David said. "That dead guy..." Gabe said. David tosses the gun to the floor. "David, what are you doing?!" Kate asks. "This isn't right!" Gabe said. "David!" Clementine yelled. "Oh, my God!" I said. "This is unacceptable!" Kate said.

"Did you really need to break her arm?! That wasn't necessary!" Javier asks. "Okay. Don't thank me." David said. Fern scoots backward, nearing the gun. David draws his own pistol. "No!" Gabe yelled. Gabe grabs David, and gets elbowed backward. "David!" Javier said. "Gabe! I'm sorry! That was an accident!" David said. "You were going to kill her!" Gabe said. "She was going for her gun!" David said. "Look at her!" Gabe said. David looks at Fern, who is huddled in the corner, crying. "Gabe, I'm--" David said. "She can't even stand up! What the hell is wrong with you?!" Gabe asks.

"He was just being safe, Gabe." Javier said. "That doesn't mean she has to die! That isn't the answer for everything!" Gabe said. "Gabe, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to do that to you... You know that. Why the hell are you all looking at me that way?" David asks. "They're just... They're scared, David." Javier said. "Of what?! I'm protecting them!" David said. "Then why are you pointing a gun at us?!" Kate asks. "So I'm all alone? Fine, then. You people are on your own." David asks. David puts his gun away and leaves the room. "Such an asshole." Gabe said. "I've seen that look in his eyes before. You should go after him." Kate said. Javi leaves the room.

ROOF

Third POV

Javi walks onto the roof of the building. David is standing on the ledge. "David? What are you doing?" Javier asks. "Come on, just take a step back! You wouldn't want to... you know... slip, or something." Javier said. "Come over here. Or are you afraid of me, too? I know the rest of them are. Right?" David asks. "Even if they are, I'm not. I've dealt with scarier than you, brother." Javier said. David will remember that. "There's no "if", Javi. They are. My wife, Javi. My son... They look at me differently." David said. "Maybe you're seeing them differently." Javier said. "I want to show you something. Stand with me." David said.

Javi stands on the ledge next to David. The streets below are swarmed with a large herd of walkers. Javi stood beside his brother. "Uh... why the hell are you smiling?" Javier asks. "See that sewer line over there? Perfect placement for a trench. That hill about a hundred paces west of it. A sniper's wildest dream come true. I'm a soldier, Javi. I see this landscape like a painter sees a blank canvas. Like how you used to see a baseball diamond. I'm a soldier. This makes sense to me. I was made for this. I thrive in this." David said. "Baseball was a lifetime ago. I miss it so fucking much." Javier said. "When I wasn't deployed, I'd miss being out in the field. Now, that's all I am. Every day. A soldier isn't a husband... Or a father. A soldier is a soldier. Nothing else. Nothing... nothing at all." David said.

"Call yourself whatever you want... I still see you as my brother." Javier said. "That is kind of you to say, Javi. I wish... I wish I had your heart, sometimes." David said. I want to change, Javi. I always have." David said. "Really? All you ever tried to do was get me to change." Javier said. "Only because I couldn't bring myself to do it first. It's the one war I could never win. And I'm wondering why. Is it because I don't know how? Or because it's impossible to change who you really are?" David asks. "There's a way. There always is, no matter how lost you are. You just have to keep looking until you find it." Javier said. David appreciates your loyalty. "Looks pretty messy." David said. "For now..." Javier said. "Maybe you're right." David said. "Maybe." Javier said. "Just gotta live long enough to find out." David said. "Just like with anything else." Javier said.

"I did what you asked." Javier said. "You did. Thanks for that." David said. "So now will you step back?" Javier asks. "Sure." David said. David and Javi step off the ledge, back onto the building. Kate opens the door to the roof. "I found them! They're up here! Be careful, Javi. I ran into--" Kate said. Winona, Sequoia, Clem, Gabe, and Tripp walk onto the roof. "He was still outside when we checked on the entrances." Clementine said. "The muertos were everywhere! We got him inside just in time. So we let him in. There were so many muertos out there." Gabe said. "Thank God you're okay, man. I was worried. Tripp, about earlier." Javier said. "Yeah, about that." Tripp said. "I ain't gonna punch you in the teeth. Though I got every right." Tripp said. "Really? Figured you'd put up a little bit of a fight." Javier said. "Oh, I'd love nothing more, but... Ah, just... can't shake this "slippery" feeling I got. Like I'm... standing in shoes that don't quite fit. You picked me to die, and someone else did instead. Ain't sitting right. Not one bit." Tripp said.

"I don't know what to tell you, man. It was... fucked up." Javier said. "No doubt. Top to bottom. I keep putting myself in your position... about Conrad, about all of this. Asking myself over and over again, whether I'd do the same. I'd love to tell you I wouldn't. I really would. But I can't. If someone threatened my family, I'd shoot 'em in a heartbeat. Hell, I'd shoot 'em twice, to make sure the lesson stuck. It's a complicated world. But at least there's people to share it with. Bygones? How about it? I'm in, if you are." Tripp said. "I'm lucky to know you, Tripp. You're a good man." Javier said. "Try not to piss me off again. Please. I ain't gonna ask why you picked Ava. After Eleanor, I'm done trying to sort out what's in other people's hearts. Let's just figure out this shit before more piles on." Tripp said.

"There's so many. They're pouring in." Rani said. "It's even worse than you think. The streets are overrun. Nowhere to go except inside the buildings. And those smelly fuckers are beating down every door. We're sittin' goddamn ducks here. Everyone in town is." Tripp said. "Jesus Christ, what the fuck have we done?" Kate asks. "So what do we do? I don't wanna die up here." Gabe said. "None of us do, Gabe." David said. "Stabilize the city. Figure out how to make it safer for everyone." Javier said. Kate likes the plan. "I saw construction vehicles when we got the armored truck. We can use those to stop the muertos, seal the breach, and save Richmond." Kate said. "That's over by the motor pool at the water tower. We could use the highway overpass to get to the water tower." David said. "Come on. Let's jump!" Javier said. Javi runs and jumps off the roof onto the fire escape. "Come on! It's an easy jump." Javier said. The rest of the group jumps over to the fire escape and climbs up to a different roof.

"Keep your eyes open, stay aware of your surroundings. All of you. Let's move out. When we found Kate earlier, she hugged you. Why do you think she hugged you? Why was that? Just wondering." David said. "You really wanna know? Then ask her." Javier said. "She won't even make eye contact with me. It was just weird. That's all." David said. On the streets below, the soldier who stabbed Javi is devoured by walkers. "We need to be careful up here or else the exact same thing will happen to us. Stay sharp, and do not fire your guns. We're gonna be fine. That guy was all alone. We're not." David said. The group climbs over a fallen billboard and onto the highway.

HIGHWAY

Winona's POV

"Everyone hold back. Let Javi and I clear out these walkers." David said. David and Javi kill the walkers on the highway. "Good to go, let's move." David said. In the distance, a herd of walkers follows the group. "You okay, bud?" Javier asks. "When I was little, Dad used to ask me what I wanted to be when I was a man. And I'd point at him. He always liked that. I thought he was such a great guy. It would always make him smile. Every time." Gabe said. "If he asked you again right now, would you say the same?" Javier asks. "He hasn't asked me yet." Gabe said. Kate kills a nearby walker. "Never be like your uncle." He told me that all the time. "Don't be a man who relies on other people to solve your problems. Because then you're not a man at all." I used to think he was right. Not anymore though, Javi. I can only hope I grow up to be like you. So... here's hoping." Gabe said.

"Oh, well, thanks, buddy. Means a lot." Javier said. "I'm sorry I never really said it before. I should have." Gabe said. "Thanks a million." Javier said. "You're welcome a million! You took such good care of me. Now we need to take care of Dad. He's the one that needs our help." Gabe said. The group reaches a section that is blocked by a pile of cars. "We're gonna have to go around the side." Javier spoke up. "There's barely any room." Kate spoke up. "No time to waste. Come on." Javier said. The group walks along the edge of the highway. "You know, I didn't there was much that could scare me anymore. And yet, here we are. Just goes to show you, life is full of surprises." Kate said. "Oh, my God, oh, my God, oh, my God." Gabe said. "This isn't that bad. I believe in you, guys! You can do this!" Javier said.

Everyone but Javi and Tripp reach the other side. A car behind Javi falls slightly, bumping into Javi. "Take my hand, man!" Tripp said. Javi grabs Tripp's hand and steadies himself. "Thanks, Tripp. That was..." Javier said. A walker in the car jumps out at Tripp. "Shit my nuts!" Tripp said. Tripp throws the walker off the highway. "Aah! Fuck you, fuckstick! Son of a goddamn!" Tripp said. Javi and Tripp reach the other side. "This ain't nothin'. Once we're back on the ground? That's when this shit's really gonna get scary. Got a bad feeling. Good Lord. It's nasty down there. Can't even describe it..." Tripp said. "You just saved my life. Thanks, Tripp. I'm glad you have my back." Javier said. "Lucky catch, that's all." Tripp said.

The group reaches an area that is broken across the middle, with only a helicopter between the two sides of the highway. "We have to get across." David spoke up. Gabe walks over to the edge. David grabs his arm to pull him back, and Gabe shrugs him away. "I know Gabe doesn't see it, but David really is trying to look out for him. He's not doing the best job, but no one gives you a rulebook to raise a kid." Sequoia said. "They sure as shit don't." Javier said. "There's just one thing I don't get, though. Did David really think he was helping AJ by letting him go? Why did he stop guarding him?" Clem asks. "He was afraid. Holding a baby in his arms probably scared him ten times more than any muerto." Javier said. "I don't understand." Clem said. "After you put in all that work. So much of your heart..." I said. "AJ was a brat. He lived with me after we kicked you out, Clem along with Winona and Sequoia. And I had already raised two kids... thought it'd be a piece of cake! Not with that tyrant!" David said. "Is that why you gave him away?" Javier asks. "We had a bad winter. Destroyed every crop we had. I couldn't leave Richmond, and AJ couldn't stay in Richmond. I gave AJ to Lingard and told him to do whatever he had to to save his life. I miss that brat. Never asked Lingard about it again. Though I've wanted to... often." David said.

"Sounds like it was your only option. You did the right thing." Javier said. "I hope so. I think about it... every day. It wasn't easy, Clem. Remember: far as I knew, I had already lost two children. Wasn't any easier with number three." David said. "It's never easy." Javier said. "I'm gonna keep you alive, keep all of us alive, and hope that that's enough. Enough for atonement." David said. "Huh. He was a brat, huh? A goofy little brat... You were trying to take care of him. Sometimes, that's not so easy. Reminds me of someone who did the same thing for me. You did the right thing." Clem said.

David and Clem, Winona and Sequoia walk away. Javi approaches the helicopter and sees a walker cut in half. "Holy shit! Chopped right in half..." Javier said. "What in the world happened here?" I ask. "No way we're jumping across that. Not too far away." Javier said. Javi grabs the helicopter blade. "You're not thinking..." David said. "It's that, or go back." Javier spoke up. "We should go lightest to heaviest, that way it won't break on the first swing." Clem said. "I'll go first, Clem." Gabe said. "Get a long run-up, but not too long. If you take too many quick steps, you'll propel yourself upward instead of out. Same with your jump: just run off the end. Don't leap. Try not to--" David said. "David, he's got this." I said. "She's right. I do." Gabe said. Gabe grabs the chopper blade and swings across to the other side. He pushes the blade back to the others.

"Come on, Clem. Your turn." I spoke up. Clementine goes across. Then Sequoia goes across. "For the record, I do not trust this thing. Not at all. It's one thing for the kids to swing across, but us?" Kate asks. "You've got this. I've seen you do things that are way scarier." Javier said. "Okay. I can do it." Kate said. Kate goes across. Winona went across after Kate. "Alright, David. You're up." Javier said. "You're the little brother... You should go first. You're definitely lighter." David said. "After you. Show me how it's done." Javier said. "Okay. Pay attention!" David said. David goes across, bending the chopper blade. The herd approaches Javi and Tripp.

"I'm going last, brother." Tripp said. "Tripp, you don't have to." Javier said. "Just go, before I throw you across." Tripp said. "As Javi goes across, the blade breaks and bends downward, but Javi manages to hold on. "Javi!" Kate yelled. "Javi!" Clementine, Sequoia and I yelled. "Javi!" Gabe yelled. "Javi, hang on!" David yelled. The top half of a walker is tied to a rope connected to the chopper. It reaches toward Javier as he climbs up the blade. Javi grabs its intestines and swings it to the side, and it gets impaled on a piece of rebar sticking out of the highway. As he continues climbing, the blade breaks again, and he grabs onto a pole. "C'mon, man!" David said. Javi manages to climb up and join the others. "Tripp!" Javier yelled. "It's alright, y'all!" Tripp yelled. Tripp fires at the approaching walkers. "Shit!" Tripp said. "We should go back for him!" Clementine said. "How?" I ask. "Don't be fucking thick! I can... I can handle this!" Tripp said. Tripp continues firing, then runs out of ammo. "Oh, shit." Tripp said. "Tripp!" Kate yelled. "Don't give up!" Javier yelled. "Oh, my God!" I said.

"We gotta try! We can't just leave him!" Javier said. They will remember that. "Y'all head out now. I don't want you seeing this." Tripp said. "No! Come on!" Clem and I said. "Tripp!" Gabe yelled. "No!" Kate said. David fires at the walkers, but several of them manage to grab Tripp. "Tripp, no!" Sequoia said. The walkers tackle Tripp off the bridge, and he gets hit by a piece of rebar. "He went out fighting. I hope I do, too." Clementine said. "I'm sorry about your friend, Javi. He seemed like a good guy. The kind of guy you want on your side in a fight. That's priceless." David said. "Come on. We're almost there." Javier said. "You okay?" Kate asks. The group continues walking.

WATER TOWER

Sequoia's POV

The group reaches the water tower. The garage below is swarmed with a herd. "I miss when all we did was track the herd. From a safe distance." Javier said. "We need to get down there. We're not getting anywhere without one of those vehicles." I spoke up. "It's not like we can just ask all those walkers to move out of the way." David said. "How about we make some noise and distract them? We can use that generator." Gabe suggested. "That's a great idea, Gabe." Javier said. "When'd you get so smart, Gabe? You really aren't the same kid I remember. I'm impressed Really." David said. "Oh... Thanks, Dad." Gabe said. "We still gotta get to the generator somehow." Kate said. "Cut a walker open and cover yourself with its guts. Then you can slip right through them." Clem and mom said in union. "That's a great idea. Gross idea, but great. I could've saved my water bottle!" Javier said.

"So... who's gonna do it?" I ask. "Javi, you've been willing to do some crazy stuff for me before. I know shooting Conrad wasn't easy. But it showed me I can always depend on you. Just like I can depend on Winona." Clem said. "Of course, Clem." Javier said. "Look, it smells really bad, like, way worse than you think." Winona said. Javi climbs down the water tower.

GARAGE

Third POV

Javi hides behind a dumpster. "You'll do." Javier said. Javi whistles, and a walker approaches him. He kills it and drags it behind the dumpster. "Okay. You can do this, Javier." Javier said. Javi cuts open the walker. "Holy fucking God, ugh. God. Ugh, I think I'm gonna be sick." Javier said. Javi scoops up some guts. "Oh, this sucks, this sucks, this sucks, this sucks..." Javier says. Javi covers himself in the guts. "Do you just literally eat shit all day long? Is that why you smell so bad? Okay, that better be enough." Javier said. Javi walks through the herd and turns on the generator. While the walkers are drawn toward the noise, the rest of the group joins Javi in the garage. "You did it, Javi!" Clem said. "Barely." David said. "Now that we're here, we've gotta find something to seal the breach with. All we need is the right vehicle." Javier said.

David walks up to a truck. "Uh, that's not gonna do the job, man..." Javier said. "Yes. It is." David said. "What are you doing?" Javier asks. "The right thing. I'm leaving. We're all leaving." David said. "What? And going where? You saw it yourself, we're surrounded by the herd!" Javier said. "I'm taking my family out of here. You helped keep them safe, Clem, Winona, Sequoia. You're coming, too. Let's go! Everyone. We can't wait around." David said. "This is bullshit, David!" Kate said. "Absolutely not! Everyone in Richmond will die without us!" Javier said. "They don't matter, Javi! Don't you get that?" David asks. "This all started the day we knocked on Richmond's door. We brought this upon these people, all of us! We can't abandon them! Not after what we've done!" Kate said. "We're going home, Kate! Back to the last place we were a family! We're starting over. We're all together again, finally. It's time. All of us. A new day, a new life." David said.

"What about here, man? Make Richmond our new home." Javier said. "Richmond is gone, Javi. I'm not gonna let the people I love die trying to save a dead dream." David said. "I'll go with you, Dad." Gabe said. "Gabe?" Clem asks. "He's my father, Clem. I'm sorry, but... you really wouldn't understand." Gabe said. "Think this over, buddy." Javier said. "Gabe, is this what you really want?" Kate asks. "I know it's scary out there, but... I have to." Gabe said. "You don't have to be afraid, Gabe. I won't let what happened to Mariana happen to you. You have my word. I'll protect you. The right way. I'm not missing another minute with my family now." David said. "This is what I want." Gabe said. "I... I understand, Gabe. I'm still going back. I won't be able to live with myself if I don't try to help the people in Richmond." Kate said. "You won't be able to live at all if you do that! Richmond is compromised! Doesn't matter if there were five of us trying to save it or five hundred! We'd all die! I know a losing battle when I see one! We're moving out! Everybody get in! That's an order!" David said. Kate slaps David. "How fucking dare you! What will it take, David?! What will it take to show you that you do not get to do that?! We are not your soldiers! Run away home! Be a deserter! I am done with you!" Kate said.

"Let's go, Javi." Kate said. "Why the fuck do you think he would go with you?" David asks. Kate kisses Javi. "Tell him." Kate said. "What the fuck is this?! Javi!" David asks. "David, I thought you were dead. We were together in that van for years, David. I mean, years! You... you shouldn't be so surprised!" Javier said. You admitted to the relationship. "I should've known. I should've known the night Pa died. The night you weren't there. Blood is worthless to you. Just like he was to you. Just like I am to you. Well, it's time for you to finally learn what blood really means!" David said. David punches Javi. "David!" Kate and I yelled. "Dad!" Gabe said. "What do you have to say for yourself... brother?" David asked. "David, stop it!" Kate said. "I love you." Javier said. "No. No, you don't get to say that!" David said.

David punches Javi again. "Jesus Christ, stop!" Kate said. David grabs a wrench. "You bastard! You're not taking my family from me!" David said. "David, no!" I said as Chatan held me in his arms protecting me. "Both of you, stop!" Clem yelled. "I love you." Javier said. "No. No, you don't get to say that!" David said again. David hits Javi with the wrench. "Dad, no!" Gabe said. Gabe grabs David's arm, and he hits Gabe with the wrench. "Gabe!" Kate yelled. "Oh, my God!" Clem said. David chokes Javi with the wrench. "David, no!" Kate yelled. "I'm gonna fucking kill you!" David said. Javi tries to push the wrench away.

"I love you, brother." Javier said. You kept your promise to your father. You did not fight your brother. "No!" David said. Clementine shoots David in the shoulder. "Argh! Fuck!" David said. Clementine points a gun at David's head. He gets up and raises his hands. Clem shoots at an approaching walker. "Holy shit!" Kate said. David, Winona, Sequoia and Javi fight off some of the walkers. "Javi!" Kate said. Clem, Javi, Winona, Sequoia and Kate run into the garage. "David?" Javier asks. David closes the garage door. "What the hell is he doing?" Javier asks. Javi opens the door. David and Gabe drive away in the truck, attracting the herd. "David took him!" Clementine said. "We can't wait any longer. We have to go help Richmond. I'm getting on that bulldozer!" Kate said. "But Gabe--" Clem said.

"Gabe wanted to go! He did! We all heard it!" Kate said. "You're... you're right." Clem said. "I'm going to save Richmond. Someone has to." Kate said. "Let's split up, Javi. I'll go after Gabe on that motorcycle if you don't. Otherwise, I'll go with Kate on the bulldozer." Clem said. "Are you sure you'll be okay without me?" Javier asks. "I can take care of myself." Clementine said. Clementine will help the person you don't choose. "We're out of time!" Kate said. "Javi, I'm sorry, Clementine and I've been here before. More than once. It's not gonna end well for everyone. You have to decide." I spoke up. Winona and Sequoia will help the person you don't choose. Clementine's Comments: "It's hard to be caught in the middle. I know that. Don't worry about me, Javi! I'll be okay! We're running out of time!" Clementine said. "I can't let Kate go by herself, it's too dangerous. I'm going with Kate to save the city." Javier said. "Okay, I understand." Clem said. "Be careful out there, Clem." I spoke up. "You too. The four of you." Clem said. Javi takes some guns. "If we're gonna drive into the herd, we're going to need these." Javier said. The group heads out.

STREETS

Winona's POV

The bulldozer mows down walkers. Jesus and other Kingdom soldiers are killing walkers. "Well, there's a happy sight. Can you help us get the gate open?" Jesus asks. "Almost didn't recognize you, Jesus!" Javier said. "Once I got in contact with my people, I headed right back. Had to make sure you folks were safe." Jesus said. "I think I'm getting the hang of this!" Kate said. "We'll keep the muertos away. Just get me to the gate so I can open it up." Javier said. "Sequoia and I got your back, Javi!" I said. Javi and determinantly Sequoia and Winona shoot at the walkers. Kate continues to bulldoze over them. "We're almost there! Javi, get in the busket and I'll lift you to the top of the gate!" Kate said. "Busket?" Javier asks. "The thing in the front! The "scooper" thing. Whatever! Get in it!" Kate said. "We'll keep them off you." I spoke up. Javi starts to climb down and a walker grabs his leg; he kicks it away and it gets run over. "Aw, yuck!" Javier said. "Javi, the busket!" Kate said. "Right. Yeah. Busket." Javier said. "Nice of you folks to drop by!" Javier said. Javi gets into the busket, and it lifts Javi up. He climbs onto the top of the gate.

"I'll have it open in a second!" Javier said. Javi climbs up to the control panel. "They couldn't just have an "open gate" button?" Javier asks. Javi pushes the green button and the gate opens. "You did it, Javi!" Kate said. "Bingo!" Javier said. "Let's get inside and wrangle the walkers together! If we get them in one group, we can lead them right out!" Jesus said. The group moves through the streets of Richmond, soon reaching a large group of walkers. "Full steam ahead!" Javier said. Javi and determinantly Sequoia and Winona fire at the walkers. "There's too many! Try the other setting!" Sequoia said. "Aw, fuck this!" Javier said. Javi and determinantly Sequoia and Winona change the setting on the gun and rapidly fire at the walkers. "They're piling up on the thing! The busket!" Kate said. They fire at the walkers on the busket. "Shit, I'm empty!" Javier said. Kate shoots the walkers. "Here, take over!" Kate said. Javi gets in the driver's seat. "Let's plug the breach with the damn truck!" Javier said. Javi drives through the street and bumps into a truck. "Here we go..."Javier said. Javi uses the busket to lift up the truck. "Fingers crossed..." Javier said.

Javi drives forward and sets down the truck to block the hole in the wall. "That's it! Let's get out of here!" Javier said. The group gets off the bulldozer. The Kingdomers continue killing the walkers inside Richmond. "Jesus! Over here!" Kingdom Soldier 1 said. "We need to round up these walkers!" Kingdom Soldier 2 said. "Head 'em towards the gate!" Kingdom Soldier 1 said. "Welcome back." Javier said. "I thought we were coming back to... Well, not to this. Just a little surprising. That's all." Jesus said. "I'm just glad you didn't give up on us. Real glad." Javier said. "I gave you my word." Jesus said.

"Javi, Winona, Sequoia, look! It's Clem!" Kate said. Clem supports an injured Gabe. "Gabe? Is he...?" Javier asks. "No! No, he's fine. He's just banged up." Clementine said. "What happened, Clem?" I ask. "Their car got overrun with walkers and crashed. I was barely able to save Gabe." Clem said. "What about David?" Javier asks. "David's dead." Clementine said. "I'm just glad you found Gabe in time. Thank you." Kate said. "Thank you for saving Gabe. I don't know what I'd do if I lost him too." Javier said. "Of course." Clementine said.

"When I got there, it looked like David had turned. And that Gabe had to...stop him." Clem said. "Oh, god. Gabe, that's horrible!" Javier said. "Javi... My--my dad...he..." Gabe said. "I know, buddy. He's--he's gone." Javier said. "No, no. He wanted me to tell you... Take care of each other." Gabe said. "Where did you find them?" Kate asks. "A little ways outside of town. Not too far." Clem said. "Can you, Winona and Sequoia take Gabe somewhere safe?" Kate asks. "Yeah, uh... Sure." Clem said. "Come on, Javi." Kate said. "Where are we going?" Javier asks. "A funeral." Kate said. Kate and Javi arrive outside town. "Over here, Kate. This way." Javier said. They follow a trail of walker corpses to find David and Gabe's truck. David lies dead beside it with his head smashed in. "Oh, my god. Poor David!" Javier said. "Poor Gabe. I can't imagine." Kate said.

"I had to do the same thing to Pa. After he turned." Javier said. "Oh, my god. That's right! Oh, Javi, I'm sorry. He talked about this every day. What to do when he died." Kate said. Kate closes David's eyes. "He was convinced it would happen in the field. Every day... As common as talking about the weather." Kate said. "Not surprising... He was a soldier." Javier said. "I used to hate talking about it. But it seemed to... soothe him." Kate said. Kate takes David's dog tags off his corpse. "He'd talk about his military funeral the way that other people talked about retirement plans. He'd only change the subject if I promised I'd bury these. (shows dog tags) He didn't care about burying his body. As far as he was concerned, this was him. Help me dig. It doesn't have to be much." Kate said. Javi and Kate dig a hole and bury the dog tags. "We should probably say something. That's what you do... Usually." Kate said.

"I'm gonna keep watching out for Gabe. We'll... take care of each other. Do you, uh... You want to say something?" Javier asks. Kate puts her ring on David's grave. Kate holds Javi's hand. "Let's go." Kate said.

CHURCH

Third PoV

3 Days Later

Javi enters the church and looks at the memorial wall. He places a photo of David on the wall. "It was his own fault. If you regret helping me... If you're feeling any guilt... Bury it. I mean it. Don't let it eat you up inside." Kate said. "You're right. He dug his own grave." Javier said. "Absolutely." Kate said. Kate places a photo of Gabe and Mariana on the wall.

"Usually, the quiet scares me." Kate said. "What about now?" Javier asks. "There's a lot of work to be done. The herd could come back. Still, though, I feel more calm here than...than I ever did in an old van on streets with no streetlights. We earned this, Javi. We earned feeling calm in the quiet. Let's start a family. You and me. A fresh start. What do you say? I think it'd be good for us." Kate said. "You're on. Let's start a family!" Javier said. Kate will remember that. "You don't think it's selfish? It's not the safest world outside of Richmond. Or inside it, truth be told." Kate said. "So long as I got you? I'm not too worried about it." Javier said. Javi and Kate kiss. "We'll be up there before we know it." Kate said. "Better do something worthwhile in the meantime." Javier spoke up. Javi and Kate step outside the church. Kate walks away.

TOWN SQUARE

Third POV

Javi walks down the church steps and out into the square. Jesus rides up on his horse. "Heading out?" Javier asks. "Yes, indeed. We came here to put an end to the raiding. Looks like that's been done. Glad we got it settled. Gotta move on." Jesus said. "I gotta admit, man. You're a fucking badass!" Javier said. "You're a real charmer. You know that? Through and through." Jesus said. "Meant to tell you... That, uh, armor you got is great." Javier said. "Oh... Oh, uh... Hmm... Well, uh... Thanks, um... It gets the job done. I was worried about you, Javi, about who you are inside. You helped save these people, though. That goes a long way for me. Second chances are in short supply these days. That's what this place can be, if you let it. Trust me, though, life within walls is a hell of a lot different than life on the road. Don't take shortcuts like Joan. You gotta do the right thing. Always. Good days, and especially bad." Jesus said. "Absolutely. The right thing. No matter what." Javier said. "Good to hear! I read people pretty well. Little gift of mine. You're a capable guy, Javi. Change is in the air here. You can lead that change, and I think you should. For the better. God knows this town could use it." Jesus said.

"You know what? I'm gonna step up. Lead this place in the right direction." Javier said. Jesus admires your commitment. "Then as far as I'm concerned, Richmond's in much better hands than it was." Jesus said. "Hey, uh, Jesus?" Gabe asks. "Hey, uh, Gabe." Jesus said. "Thanks for... you know... not letting me get killed. And for coming back to help us." Gabe said. "Yeah, thanks for that, man." Javier said. "Pay it forward. Be vigilant. Trouble never stays too far away." Jesus said. Javi, and determinantly Gabe wave goodbye. Jesus leaves. Clem walks up to Javier with Winona and Sequoia.

"You're outta here too, huh?" Javier asks. "Yeah, it's time. I have to find AJ, Javi. I've waited so long. But could you do me one last favor, before we leave?" Clem asks. Clem takes off her hat and sits in a chair while Javi cuts her hair. "I used to do this for my niece." Javier said while Winona and Sequoia watch. "That's nice of you." Clem said. "She thought I was terrible at it." Javier said. "Were you?" Clem asks. "None of your business." Javier said. "I'm really gonna miss Gabe. I mean he's super annoying sometimes, but... I've gotten used to having him around. At least to have someone to talk to. Even if he is a total dork." Clem said.

"Not that he's said anything to me in particular, but... you know the guy's got a mondo crush on you, right?" Javier asks. "Ah! He does not!" Clementine said. "Oh, my gosh, you have a crush on him too!" Javier said. "I do not!" Clementine said. "Ah, you both have my blessing." Javier said. "I'm gonna stab you with those scissors! I have to see AJ, Javi. I have to see that he's okay. Do you think he remembers me, Winona and Sequoia? At least a little? Maybe?" Clem asks. "Who could forget you, Clem? No one who knew you, I guarantee it." Javier said. "Yeah. Maybe. Everyone told us he was better off. After everything's that's happened, I'm starting to think they're right. I don't know if I was a good mom or not. I can't stop thinking about it. I really wish I could." Clem said.

"Did you love him?" Javier asks. "With all of my heart." Clem said. "Then of course you were." Javier said. "Maybe they're right. Gabe told me you used to play baseball." Javier said. "I did. I loved it." Javier said. "He told me you fucked it all up, too." Clem said. "Yup. Sure did." Javier said. "Well, you survived." Winona said. "I had to." Javier said. "But you loved it. How do you survive that? How? If you really loved it? How?" Clem asks. "You get back out there... And find something better." Javier said. Clementine will remember that. "There may not be something better out there." Sequoia said. "You won't know until you step outside." Javier said. "All done!" Javier said. "Well, how's it look?" Clem asks. "You know what? I'll grab your hat." Javier said. Javi picks up Clem's hat. "Huh. I remember this team. Your dad ever teach you about baseball?" Javier asks. Javi gives Clem her hat. "No, not really." Clem said. Clem puts her hat back on.

"Well, you come back, and I'll tell you all about it." Javier said. "It's a deal." Clem said. Javi and Clem shake hands as Winona and Sequoia walk up. "If we bring AJ back with us, will you teach him too?" Clem asks. "You bet. He belongs with you, Clementine. Bring him back." Javier said. Clementine will remember that.

EPILOGUE

Third POV

Javi, Winona, Sequoia, Clementine, and determinantly Kate and Gabe walk outside the walls of Richmond. If Gabe is alive, Clem either hugs him (if Javi told her he has a crush on her) or looks at him while he looks on shyly (if he said anything else). Javi and whoever else is with him waves goodbye to Clem, Winona and Sequoia and they wave back. Javi and the others go back inside. Clem, Winona and Sequoia walk away from Richmond, past the train tunnel and the gas station, killing walkers along the way. "I'm going to find you, AJ." Clem said determined.

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

2.2K 135 19
𝗙!𝗢𝗖 𝘅 𝗠!𝗖𝗹𝗲𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗲 The dead rising was something no one could have predicted but it tore the world apart. And all that can be done no...
10K 314 30
*SEQUEL TO IN TOO DEEP, first book suggested before reading Life has been as quiet as it can be since you joined a group of kids living in a school...
2.2K 101 25
Lee Everett, a convicted criminal, who was on his way to jail when the undead started to rise, making him get a second chance at life. Soon he meets...
62.7K 2.8K 77
You were eight when the dead began their reign. It happened in the blink of an eye, and the world around you was unprepared. The walkers simply ascen...