MELTING A FROZEN HEART

By serene_fictionist

Raelynn Baker A woman who escaped the viciously blinding nights of forced prostitution. Snatched from the emb... More

Author's Note
Meet the leads!!!
MARINO FAMILY TREE
Prologue - HIM
Prologue - HER
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50

Chapter 16

1.7K 211 209
By serene_fictionist

160+ Votes!

********NOTE*******

Hey, dearest readers!!!

So, from now on, the update schedule will be - Monday and Friday. (If time permits, I'll try on Wednesdays too.)

However, I'll try my best to follow the schedule only if you complete the vote target and give me loads and loads of comments.

Finally, enjoy reading!!!

*****NOTE ENDS*****

RAELYNN

I sat there in tense and awkward silence as Mr. Marino continued applying medicine to my wound with a cotton, none of us making a single sound.

The pink hue that had invaded my cheeks has not gone since the moment his breath touched my bare back. My toes stayed curled up, goosebumps still evident on my body and an occasional shiver ran through my spine whenever his rough fingertips grazed my skin.

What kind of weird situation have I landed myself in!

Gulping a little to catch a breath that stood hitched at the base of my throat, I peeked towards the mirror to see his reflection.

I don't know if it's just my eyes or the very subtle shade of warm red still lingering on the edge of his ears is really there.

I looked away, embarrassment sinking in.

The tension in the silence was so thick that I almost felt it palpable.

Relax, Raelynn.

I had to remind myself to breathe every instant.

After a moment, he stopped applying the medicine and picked up a bandage.

Clearing his throat, he looked up, his gray eyes meeting my amber ones through the reflection in the mirror.

"The bandage needs to be wrapped around.", he said curtly, his expression neutral.

I nodded in response.

Unrolling the bandage, he pressed a cotton over my wound and then pressed the bandage over it, rolling along the width of my back, and stopping at the edge, waiting for me to take over.

Gulping subtly, I moved my shirt a little and took the bandage from his hand and rolled it along the width of my front over my ribcage and handed it back to him.

After rolling three layers of bandage, I plastered it over in the front tightly.

"Are you done with the first-aid kit?", he asked calmly.

I looked at his reflection in the mirror and nodded.

He gave me a curt nod, standing up and walked away into his room with the first-aid box in hand.

Why does he need-

My eyes caught the white kerchief tied around his calf and a tie tied around his bicep.

I didn't notice it until now. Or maybe I was too on edge to notice.

He soon disappeared into his room, closing his door shut.

I felt a strange rush to offer help in treating his injuries as he helped me in treating mine, but quickly pushed that thought away, not intending to get any further involved with him.

Putting on the oversized shirt lent by that man, I walked to the other empty room and closed the door, locking it securely, just in case.

There was nothing much in the room.

A medium sized bed that was neatly covered by warm themed duvets, cushions spread across at the headboard, a small bedside table with a lamp, a window covered by curtains and a door beside it, leading out to the balcony.

Making sure I locked the door securely once again, I placed the bullet-proof vest he gave me on the floor and I laid down on the bed slowly on my stomach so as to not disturb the freshly treated injury on the back.

As soon as my body hit the soft bed, the aching in my legs and the extreme exhaustion quickly lured me into a deep slumber and I gave in willingly.

I don't know how many hours passed by in sleep until I woke up at the sudden ringing of the doorbell.

Sitting up abruptly, wincing in pain a little, I got off the bed, clutching the dagger tightly in my hand, I walked out of the room cautiously.

I looked at Mr. Marino's room, but found the door still shut.

Frowning, I ignored him and walked to the main door.

Placing my right hand behind my back to hide the dagger, I slowly peeked through the small peephole on the door to check who's ringing the bell.

There was a middle aged woman standing in front of the door with some clothes in her hand.

Just to be cautious, I still held the dagger and placed my hand behind my back and opened the door with the other.

As soon as I opened the door, I came face to face with an averagely tall middle aged woman, her face wrinkled up moderately, her form slightly chubby and her black hair reaching a few inches past her shoulders, looking up at me with a polite look on her face.

"Yes?", I probed, my voice groggy from just waking up and my eyes squinting at the sudden bright sunlight falling over my face.

"Hello, dear, I'm Margaret Morris, I work for the owner of this house, the woman downstairs.", she introduced herself, extending her right hand for a hand-shake, balancing the clothes in her left.

Tucking the dagger at the back of my pants' hem as subtly as possible, I shook her hand, smiling courteously.

"Raelynn C-Craig.", I introduced myself, making sure to mention the last name he mentioned yesterday.

"That's a good name.", she complimented, both of us retreating our hands.

"Thank you, mam.", I smiled.

"Oh, please call me Margaret, dear, 'mam' and all makes me awkward.", she waved in dismissal.

"I implore you to call me Raelynn too.", I said politely.

"Deal.", she gave me a thumbs-up.

I laughed lightly at her enthusiasm.

She really looked very approachable with that smile and gaze.

I wouldn't have talked like this to anyone this fast, but in the situation we're in, I cannot possibly act aloof. Also, if she calls me 'Ms. Craig', I may not respond, so it's better to go with my first name.

"Right, I forgot. These clothes, Mrs. Ward has sent these for you and your husband, dear. She said your husband seemed quite tall and there aren't many clothes his size and these are the only ones that might fit him.", she said, indicating towards the clothes in her hand.

HUSBAND???!!!

Oh, right!

He introduced us as a couple, but I'm sure he mentioned 'fiancé'.

But before I could clarify it, the woman continued speaking.

"There's a t-shirt and a very old checkered shirt, it's a little faded, that might be useful, so I placed them both, just in case.", she informed.

She might get suspicious if I try to establish our relationship too accurately, so I let it slide this time.

"Thank you very much, mam, and please convey my gratitude to the owner as well.", I thanked politely.

"Mam again?", she gave me a flat look.

"Margaret.", I said her name and she smiled in content.

"Also, you yourself are very tall too, so I think this dress might get a little short for you.", she informed in uncertainty.

"It's fine, I'll manage.", I assured.

"Okay then, I'll take my leave.", she said cheerfully, handing over the clothes to me.

"Thank you again for the clothes.", I thanked yet again, extremely grateful for the fresh set of clothes.

She just waved in dismissal and walked away.

Closing the door and locking it, I took a relieved breath.

Walking to the washroom, I separated the clothes given to me from the ones provided for Mr. Marino.

I was going to place the clothes on a step stool in front of his room, but stopped.

There was a plain black t-shirt and a checkered shirt whose color was almost completely faded.

As an evil smirk curved my lips, I placed the faded shirt for him and hid the black t-shirt in the closets.

Hmph.

Let him wear that old shirt.

Disappearing into the bathroom, I scrubbed my body all over with a wet cloth as I couldn't take a shower with the injury bandaged at my back.

I, then, put on my own undergarments and slid into the half sleeved, pastel lilac, plain chiffon gown that reached right at my knees, with a knot tied to the left side of my torso and the neck an open V-cut.

Looking at my reflection, I was quite satisfied with the dress.

Letting my hair fall freely, I placed my torn shirt, his crumpled one and the bullet-proof vest inside my room and walked out of the apartment, closing the door behind me.

I know which town we're in. I just need to call someone and ask for a ride.

If I hadn't lost my valet in all this fiasco, I would've just taken a cab or a bus.

As I walked down the stairs, deep in thought, I was startled at the sudden voice.

"Wow, you're so tall."

I heard a young female voice cheer when I was at the last step.

I looked to the side and found three teenage girls looking at me, surprised, standing at the diagonal corner of the compound, leaning against the wall and facing the entrance of the house.

I offered them a polite smile in courtesy as I walked past the staircase towards them.

I can ask them for a mobile.

But who should I call?

My secretary, Mr. Brown?

But I don't know how he's doing or if he's even okay or not.

Milan?

I wonder if he's back home or has gone somewhere else for a project.

Who els-

"You're the one Mrs. Ward was talking about.", one of the girls said as I reached them.

"Huh?", I frowned.

"She means to say that Mrs. Ward was talking about someone asking for directions in the middle of the night and that must be you, Ms.", another girl clarified.

"Right. Hi, I'm Raelynn.", I introduced myself, smiling politely.

"I'm Leah.", a mediumly tall girl with black hair tied into a pony said, smiling cheerfully.

"I'm Nancy.", the next one, slightly shorter girl with her black hair falling freely behind her back with a headband over her head, said, waving at me.

"And I'm Mia. Leah and I are twins.", the last one said politely, her hair swept back and held in place by a clutch.

All of them were wearing a set of casual jeans and shirts.

Before I could say something, the first girl, Leah, beat me to it.

"Woah, you have amber eyes!", she exclaimed, looking at me in awe.

"Leah, stop being rude.", her twin, Mia, chastised.

"I'm not being rude. I'm saying her eyes are beautiful. In fact, you look too elegant to handle, mam. When I wore that dress, I looked like a fool.", Leah huffed.

"You are a fool.", their friend, Nancy, commented.

Leah glared at her, making her twin and friend high five.

"But, seriously, how tall are you? Like the dress is supposed to end at the calf and it's gone up to your knees. I'm not trying to offend you, but seriously, you're so beautiful that I cannot help but swoon.", Leah said, looking at me in awe.

"Leah", both her friend and sister chastised her.

Unable to stifle it any longer, I laughed out.

The young girls and their naive compliments, their carefreeness warmed my heart.

Looking at them, it just lightened my mood.

Kids are supposed to be that way.

Cheerful, carefree and happy, without any darkness clouding their innocence.

Feeling light hearted after so long, I looked at their confused frowns.

"Thank you very much for the compliments. Not many people say that to me.", I said, looking at Leah with a grateful smile.

"Now way! I thought you had men swarming around you.", she said, surprised.

Well, men don't offer such decent compliments. They have their own vulgar language that makes me wanna punch them in the guts.

"You look extremely pretty yourself.", I commented honestly, looking at her, dodging the topic.

"Really?", she scratched her neck shyly.

"She's just saying that out of pity.", her twin commented slyly.

"You're just jealous.", Leah stuck her tongue out.

The three of them then started arguing.

I couldn't help the smile lingering on my lips at their banter.

A moment later, we heard Margaret coming from the main door of the house.

"Alright, time out, kids, stop arguing.", Margaret said, coming to us, a soft frown of disapproval etched on her face.

"How many times have I told you to not disturb anyone. I'm sorry for the disturbance, Raelynn.", Margaret chastised them first and then turned to me guiltily.

"That's completely alright. I was the one talking to them anyway.", I defended them.

"They always keep loitering around aimlessly during a holiday.", she shook her head with a sigh.

"They are in an age to be carefree.", I winked at them.

They giggled and flashed a victory smirk at Margaret.

She gave them a stern gaze and they looked away nonchalantly.

I chuckled lightly at their interaction.

"Even Mrs. Ward and their father keep pampering them . They are getting completely spoiled.", she sighed.

"You worry too much, mom.", Mia commented.

Oh, so the twins are her kids.

"I-", Margaret started to say something, but was cut off.

"WOAH", Nancy exclaimed, nudging the twins who were standing on her either side.

The three of them looked behind me, towards the staircase, in awe.

Frowning slightly, I turned around to see what got their attention.

There, walking down the stairs, wearing a faded blue shirt that was hugging his torso tightly, his two uppermost buttons open, giving a slight peek to his chest, his sleeves folded neatly to his elbows and shirt tucked into his black pant, was Mr. Marino, his hand running through his black hair, sweeping it back, making a few strands fall over his forehead, giving him an elegant yet rugged look.

What the hell!

How come that old faded shirt looks good on him?

"That's your husband?", Mia asked in a low tone.

Not 'husband'.

Fiancé.

I mean fake fiancé.

As he reached the ground, he turned to me and headed towards me.

"Didn't Mrs. Ward say he's a gym trainer?"

"I didn't know gym trainers are this handsome."

"I want to join a gym now."

"Shush! Stop talking nonsense about her husband in front of her."

I heard their talks behind me as he was heading towards me.

As he reached me, he stopped and looked past me, at them, and then back at me.

"Am I interrupting?", he asked calmly.

"Not at all. We were just talking randomly.", Margaret answered politely.

His gaze drifted to her and a gentle smile curved his lips, not too wide and neither too small, but enough to be charming.

My eyes widened to no end.

He can smile???

"I'm Margaret, I work for the owner of the house.", she introduced herself.

"Vincent Allegrio, mam.", he introduced himself politely.

Wow, manners.

I turned away from him and towards the girls and Margaret.

"Oh, it's such an ecstatic feeling to be young and in love, isn't it? It just makes you look a hundred times more beautiful.", she commented, gushing, looking at the both of us.

Only if she knew how much I despise this man and how much he dislikes me.

"I'm afraid, however, we are being overshined by your blinding radiance, mam.", he said, his voice flawlessly smooth and gentle.

My brow raised on instinct and I looked at him sideways, shocked.

Really?

Him and flattering?

"Oh, you're just being generous.", Margaret laughed, waving in dismissal, a pink hue coating her chubby cheeks.

I mean the way he's acting, I won't blame if she thinks he's some gentle, kind-hearted, loving gym trainer.

Ugh.

The girls then introduced themselves.

He gave them his so-called charming smile in response.

Whatever.

"Can I borrow Raelynn for a few hours.", his deep voice flawlessly gentle.

Hearing him address me by my first name, I felt strange.

I don't know what exactly, but it felt strange.

I turned away from him and towards the girls and Margaret again.

"Oh, your wife, your right.", Margaret chuckled.

"We left a few belongings upstairs. We'll come back in a few hours. About the payment for staying -", he trailed off.

"Mrs. Ward is a little occupied right now, so you can talk to her about it after you return. You anyway have to collect your belongings, right?", Margaret informed, looking at us.

"Yes, mam.", he answered politely.

He then looked at me and gestured to me to accompany him.

He walked past them and I was going to follow him, but Margaret held my hand, halting me for a moment.

"You have quite a charming husband.", she winked, her tone a whisper and evidently teasing.

I forced out a laugh, tucking a few strands of hair behind my ear, pretending to be happy.

"One last question, how tall is he?", Leah asked enthusiastically.

Oh, no.

But, I can just give an approximation, considering the difference in our height.

"Around 6 '5.", I replied, hoping it's correct.

"No wonder we look so small compared to him.", Nancy commented flatly.

"Okay, let's not stall them any longer. Go on, dear.", Margaret concluded, nodding at me.

I nodded back politely and walked past the compound to where he was waiting for me.

Both of us, then, started walking along the footpath, leading to the central part of the town.

It's going to be a long journey.

~*~

VINCENT

(From a few minutes ago)

It was still slightly dark when I decided to wake up.

Being in the line of work I'm in, I learned to be a light sleeper.

After I woke up, I completed my morning routine with the supplies present in the bathroom.

Seeing how there was everything properly stocked, I concluded that the apartment was really being leased for visitors.

After I was done, I looked at the door of her room, wondering if she had woken up.

The thought suddenly incited memories from the previous night.

Clearing my throat awkwardly, I walked away, pushing that memory aside.

It was the first time I dealt with a woman in such close proximity.

I never had the need to deal with women before and with how the awkwardness spread, I couldn't help the embarrassment that invaded my conscience.

Putting those thoughts aside, I collected a small bowl of water and soap from the bathroom and carried it back to my room and closed the door shut.

I don't need her to disturb me while working.

With the help of hot water and soap, I cleaned the stains of blood and its grease on the dagger blades.

The daggers can be used to pawn for cash.

We need to pay for food, the rent for a day, a mobile, sim and anything else just in case.

As I was engrossed in my work, I heard footsteps climbing up the stairs and through the window that overlooked the staircase a little, I saw a middle aged woman with some clothes in her hand.

Concluding she's not a threat, I went back to my work.

I could faintly hear the conversation from the opened window.

After a few long minutes, I heard Ms. Baker walking out, closing the door.

Realizing it was late enough to visit a pawn store, I opened my door, took a shower and put on the shirt placed in front of my door. The pants size was small and the undershirt was small too, so I tossed them over the counter.

Putting the two daggers and two guns in a medium sized paper bag that was stuffed inside the closets, I set out.

After locking the door, I moved forward to the railing.

The front of the apartment overlooked the front compound of the house.

I saw Ms. Baker with three teenage girls standing at the compound, conversing something enthusiastically.

I could just see the side of her face.

As I was going to move away to climb down the staircase, her sudden laughter halted me in my tracks.

I froze for a brief moment as my gaze captured her laughing genuinely, her eyes compressing as her lips curved up, her wavy hair getting slightly disturbed by the breeze, her laughter strained without any inhibition as the sun rays illuminated her face, highlighting the autumn shade of her eyes.

She looked ........ dazzling.

Even after her laughter died down, her lips still stayed curved up in a gentle smile.

Has she always been this beauti-

I was jolted out of my daze when the same middle aged woman from before came walking to them, chastising the kids loudly.

Looking away, I shook my head.

What was I thinking?

No.

That was just a passing curiosity.

Walking away from the railing, I started walking down the staircase, sweeping my hair back neatly.

As I reached the ground, I turned to Ms. Baker and found her and the others already looking at me.

Ignoring the stares, I walked to her.

After reaching her, I exchanged some pleasantries with the middle aged woman and the three kids.

I walked away and waited for her to join.

"You love flexing, don't you?", she commented dryly.

"Why do you assume so?", I questioned.

"If not for flexing, why else did you leave those buttons open?", she asked sternly.

"Why does that bother you?", I asked, raising a brow, glancing at her sideways.

"It does bother me. Those kids were swooning over you for the way you were flashing your body. They don't even know how dangerous you are.", she stated, displeased.

"The shirt is tight, so I had to leave a few buttons open.", I replied calmly.

Before she could say anything, I cut her off.

"About those kids, they're too young to be thinking about dating. I'm not a pervert trying to flatter kids.", I said sternly.

"I totally trust your words.", she retorted sarcastically.

"You're baselessly judgmental.", I commented.

"My judgments are hardly wrong and I'm kind to only those who deserve it.", she replied in a neutral tone.

As we were halfway through our journey to the central town, she spoke up, breaking the momentary peaceful silence.

"Where are we going?", she asked.

"First, to a pawn shop.", I replied calmly.

"Don't you have any cash?", she asked.

"I do, but it won't be sufficient.", I stated.

"Do you have your cards?", she questioned.

"I do.", came my short reply.

She didn't say anything for a moment.

"Won't you ask me why I'm not using my cards instead?", I probed, curious.

"If you use your card, your location might get traced easily. I am not dumb to not know that.", she replied dryly.

I cast a very brief side glance at her.

She's smart.

"What are you going to sell?", she asked.

"Daggers.", I answered.

"What? Why would you? What if they identify the blood stains?", she asked, confused.

"I cleaned them.", I said.

"But still. Why don't you sell that watch instead. Only the top glass seems to be broken.", she suggested.

"I won't sell the watch.", I said firmly.

"Why not?", she questioned.

I didn't respond.

"That watch isn't even that expensive and I bet you've got hundreds of watches. So, what's with that stinginess?", she asked, her tone giving away her displeasure.

"The watch is not up to discussion.", I said sternly, looking at her sideways.

"Whatever.", she muttered, annoyed.

We walked in silence after that, each engrossed in our own thoughts.

After a few more minutes, we reached the pawn shop.

I went in and presented the daggers to be sold, while she waited outside, uninterested.

As I had expected, the daggers didn't fetch much. They were very ordinary ones.

I need some more cash.

I decided to maybe just swipe a card while buying food at the restaurant as that would not give away our location.

But, the problem is I only have gold or platinum cards.

It would gain too much attention if taken out in a restaurant and our cover would soon be blown.

As I was contemplating what to do, the door opened and Ms. Baker walked in.

She stood beside me and after taking a glance at the cash the vendor put in for the daggers, she pursed her lips.

Before I could speak up, she forwarded a thin platinum chain to the vendor.

I was surprised.

"Could you please check this out for cash?", she asked.

As he walked away with the chain, she looked at me blankly, but didn't say anything.

After standing there in silence, she collected the cash for her chain, though it went for a far lesser price, the amount we gained was enough to last more than a day.

As we exited the shop, I spoke up.

"Why?", was all I asked calmly, walking side by side.

"What why?", she questioned, looking at me sideways.

"Why did you pawn that chain?", I probed.

"Because I'm not as stingy as you and I'm partly responsible for pulling you off the cliff anyway.", she shrugged slightly, her tone tinged with faint defensiveness.

I suppressed a smile at her reply.

This woman isn't that selfish as it turns out.

"Who gave you that watch?", she asked.

"Why do you ask?", I questioned.

"Because I let it slide and pawned my chain off. I deserve an answer.", she said nonchalantly.

"My siblings.", I replied, looking straight ahead.

She didn't say anything to that.

Soon, we reached a diner and she walked in to eat.

I stayed out and went to the public phone booth, situated right at the corner of the footpath, facing the transparent glasses of the diner.

Dialing Cavin's number, I informed him our location in a private code.

As I was going to cut the call, he mentioned something, halting me.

"Sir, Ms. Baker is being targeted too.", he informed.

I already noticed that.

But why?

"Why?", I asked.

"Not certain yet, but Hernan Romero has-", he was saying, but the call cut off from his side as soon as the time limit of 1 minute was over.

It is a security trick to not speak more than a minute during such situations as the call might get tapped or tracked if it exceeds a minute.

Tsk.

I clicked my tongue in disappointment.

However, everything strange about Ms. Baker flashed in my mind.

She has faint scars over her back. Some nails marks and some from physical abuse. It's evident.

She knows combat a little too well.

She knows how to use a gun correctly.

She didn't flinch at the sight of disfigured corpses.

She didn't hesitate to kill.

In fact, she killed two men and left the last one to an agonizing death.

These are not the traits of a normal businesswoman.

All these thoughts had been making me curious before, but now they are sprouting suspicion.

What was Cavin going to say?

Why did he mention Hernan Romero?

The only man courageous enough to go against me, incite rebellion among my territories and the one responsible for this attack.

What does she have to do with him?

With doubts constantly growing, I walked into the diner and took a seat opposite to her.

She looked at me, but looked away and continued eating.

"Order your own food. All these dishes are for me.", she said indifferently.

Ignoring her words, I asked her a question.

Her hand holding the fork froze midair, her form stiffening, fueling my suspicion, when I asked her bluntly,

"Do you know Hernan Romero?"

*********************************************************************************

Phew! That was a very long chapter!

How was the chapter?

Rae is so petty for giving Vince the faded shirt. 🤣

Vince can be flattering too? 😳

And, did he just call Rae beautiful? 😏

Well, what's with his question at the end and why did she stiffen? 😱

Don't forget to vote, comment and follow.

Yours lovingly,

Author.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

226K 4.5K 17
โžค STARTED SEPTEMBER 2021 โžคFINISHED FEBRUARY 2022 adriana hernandez , didn't have the best upbringing of life, her life was always secretive, her fam...
His Angel By J

General Fiction

98.7K 2.3K 25
(Detailed description in the book) A small peek into the book :- I stay there in half lying position whilst my angel sleeps peacefully with her face...
8.6K 135 20
A thirteen year old girl named Rose Thornton was homeless at age eleven after her parents were killed in a car crash. Nobody cared to give her money...
432K 69.3K 34
"Excuse me!! How dare you to talk to me like this?? Do you know who I am?" He roared at Vanika in loud voice pointing his index finger towards her. "...