Player's Guide To Catfishing...

By papa-reckless

Ever heard of reverse catfishing? A drunk night out with her housemates, leads Odessa to get dared to send L... More

!!!!!!!!
PROLOGUE: From the beginning
CHAPTER 1: Too good to be true?
CHAPTER 2: My new best friend!
CHAPTER 3: Anything can happen...
CHAPTER 4: Stranger Danger?
CHAPTER 5: Real eyes, realize lies
CHAPTER 6: Don't mess with a Russian temper!
CHAPTER 7: Revenge of the Campus Playboy
CHAPTER 8: Extra, extra read all about it?
CHAPTER 9: NB- Always keep one eye open.
CHAPTER 10: It's wise, to always know thy enemy.
CHAPTER 11: Never judge a book's cover, they lie too
CHAPTER 12: Nobody's Fool.
CHAPTER 14:...and it all comes DOWN
CHAPTER 15: A coin with two sides.
CHAPTER 16: When the bough breaks...
CHAPTER 17: Oh, how the tables have turned...
CHAPTER 18: "Worst regret..."
CHAPTER 19: Consequences of getting Tonya Harding
CHAPTER 20: Practice makes...things more awkward?
CHAPTER 21: Field day One.
CHAPTER 22: The only exception
CHAPTER 23: About Last Night...
CHAPTER 24: True intentions
CHAPTER 25: Things I hate about you!
CHAPTER 26: 99 Problems that start with 1
CHAPTER 27: Killing me softly...
CHAPTER 28: All couples fight, even fake ones?
CHAPTER 29: Reunion night.
CHAPTER 30: Honor among liars
CHAPTER 31: When in doubt, drink!
CHAPTER 32: The worst lies are the ones we tell ourselves
CHAPTER 33: Ditzy and very Dizzy
CHAPTER 34: Touched and Plucked
CHAPTER 35: Quid-Pro-Quo
CHAPTER 36: World's best fake boyfriend?
CHAPTER 37: The warning bells of a wild fire
CHAPTER 38: The bliss of Ignorance
CHAPTER 39: Stairway to Heaven
CHAPTER 40: A beautiful day in the neighborhood
CHAPTER 41: Big reality checks from Oakwood
CHAPTER 42: Biting the bullet before dinner
CHAPTER 43: Dinner with the modern-day Kennedy's
CHAPTER 44: The Oakwood Spring Showcase
CHAPTER 45: The 6 week expiry date
CHAPTER 46: Aloha?
CHAPTER 47: That Hawaiian sun...
CHAPTER 48: Breakups that make hell seem like paradise
CHAPTER 49: The new Partner.
CHAPTER 50: The new boy in town...
CHAPTER 51: A simple favor...
CHAPTER 52: It's not over till the rich lady sings...
CHAPTER 53: Vegas baby! Anything can happen
CHAPTER 54: An outsider's perspective
CHAPTER 55: What did happen in Vegas?
CHAPTER 56: The worst breakup ever
CHAPTER 57: Even the Weak can be Wicked
CHAPTER 58: The Choi Dynasty makes a move
CHAPTER 59: A plan crazy enough to work
CHAPTER 60: Re-write the stars
CHAPTER 61: School's out, buns out?
CHAPTER 62: Dinner with the Russian mob!
CHAPTER 63: Noble Reason or blackmail?
CHAPTER 64: What goes up, must come...
CHAPTER 65: Star crossed lovers?
CHAPTER 66: Six months later
CHAPTER 67: Castle on the Hill
CHAPTER 68: Opening old war wounds
CHAPTER 69: Mob History 101
CHAPTER 70: The beginning of an end
CHAPTER 71: Always read the fine print
EPILOGUE: Player's Guide to Catfishing

CHAPTER 13: Friend or Foe?

1 1 0
By papa-reckless

ODESSA

Liam and I are in an intense stare off and—oh if looks could kill we'd both be dead.

He's looking at me like I killed his childhood cat and I am looking at him like I want to punch him—maybe it's because I am about to.

Who knows?

"Come on guys, let's just relax." Jonathan smiles nervously from my peripheral view. "We're all friends here," that sentence makes me break first.

God, they really like to use that word.

"Is this your plan?" Liam is still staring. "To continue to fuck with me and do my head in?"

"What is your problem?"

I look at Jonathan but his eyes are jumping between us. I was hoping he'd have an idea since I don't have a clue what all this is really about.

It can't be because his roommate took me to a fundraiser, where he left with another girl. And if it is, why does Liam care if JJ bribes me with Pinkberry sundaes. He just wants me to teach him how to play the acoustic guitar, so he can impress the said girl he left with.

"Drop the innocent act Vecker." He says when I stand up.

"What are—"

"Is that why you catfished me? To fuck with my head."

"What are you talking about?" I may look calm but my heart is threatening to jump out of my chest.

I really hope I misheard him.

"I know what you did. How you lied to me, how you made me think someone was using your pictures to catfish me when in truth it was you all along."

He says the last part louder making some people gasp. Or is it me?

"That's right, I was never catfished." He looks at a perplexed Jonathan. "It was her all along, she's the liar."

I can't believe this is really happening. I feel stung and...oh my God this is really happening.

Shit.

"Odessa Vecker..."

Liam's voice overpowers the thundering in my chest. I don't even care that he mispronounced my name.

"...had me looking for a ghost all these months and didn't even bother to tell me the truth when we became...friends. You called us?"

He's talking to JJ but the scornful way he says friends is crippling me.

So yeah, this is my life now...super great (queue the ominous music and dark themes.)

"Is this true?" Jonathan's eyes are on me, "it was really you all along?"

"Yes Vecker." Liam is like a dog with a bone. "How about you tell JJ the truth. Might as well tell someone, right?"

This was the worst the playboy could do.

Public humiliation, really?

Are we back in high school?

I look at everyone in the shop and to my surprise nobody has their phone out to record this moment. Then again about 6 people are in here (including the staff) and they all look too shocked to even move.

"What was your goal huh? What was the end game?" My silence seems to be fueling his bubbling anger.

Hint: I'm quiet because I'm focused on holding back my tears. This is not how I saw this fight going.

"What? You couldn't get me so you went after my housemat—" enough!

I blink to find my hand disconnecting from Liam's face as the echo of the slap travels around the quiet room and someone gasps. (I'm still not sure if it's me or not)

"How dare you?!" I hiss.

The truth was bound to come out sooner or later, I knew that. I'm not stupid. I knew I hurt him too but I was trying make up for it—I let him sleep in my freaking bed for Christ sake. (Which by the way no man had ever slept in.)

So for him to do this...like this... is so...

"You're a bastard Liam!" I grab my bag on the chair and head for the door.

"Shit—Vecker." He reaches for me but I jerk his hands away.

"Don't touch me!"

He clearly doesn't understand that I am not for whatever he is trying to do. Slapping him was the calm reaction—and leaving is the best choice.

"Please just—"

"How could you?" I push hair off my face and look around again.

Everyone is still watching. (Of course they are.) We are the freak show that the entire school will hear about soon, they were just lucky enough to see it courtside.

God, this is so stupid...and humiliating and—so fucking stupid.

"Screw this," I throw my bag over shoulder and storm out of the store.

"Vecker wait!" Liam shouts behind me. "Odessa!" I feel his hand as my body suddenly turns to face him.

Don't cry Odessa, don't you dare cry.

"I didn't mean—I didn't mean to..." He stammers, the anger from earlier gone. "I swear I wasn't trying to—"

"Let go of me Liam." My eyes are on the hand wrapped around my wrist.

I'm giving him 3seconds before I bite it off.

"Just hear me out okay?" He raises his hands. "You were the catfish—you—the real person was the one all along and you lied to me so—"

"You thought let me befriend her and embarrass her?" I shake my head, "who even does that shit?"

Like what sick, low budget, poorly written movie has my life turned into? I'm getting humiliated at dessert stores now... like WTF?

"That's not what I was trying to do." He pleads, "things just got out of hand okay? I was mad and you were..." I'm already walking away.

To think, I actually believed Liam and I were friends. But it's clear now that he wanted to get his revenge and expose me.

Fucking pig.

"You lied to me Vecker!" I stop. "You looked me dead in the eye and told me it wasn't you...Who does that shit huh?"

"Someone who was wrong," I face him.

I'm not prideful. I am man enough to admit what I did was messed up. The guilt alone was eating me but I also paid the price, his little fans stalking me and all.

"I was overwhelmed at the time. I didn't expect to meet you that day—or ever if I'm being honest...but Liam I was going to tell you the truth."

"Yeah right." He scoffs.

"I realized late how far it had gotten okay?" I point an accusing finger at him.

I am not letting him make me feel bad after his stunt.

"I was going do this nice, ridiculous and over the top apology but then you started the catfish hunt and you showed up to my house..." where I stupidly let you in my private space.

"...somehow we became friends and then you said you didn't even care about the catfish mess." Which was a clear lie. "Because you had me—the original."

And like a fool, I believed him.

"So I thought..." I bite my lip to stop the tears pricking my eyelids. "...do over because I didn't mean to lie or hurt you."

"Vecker—"

"But it was all a lie," and that's okay.

What's not okay is stunts.

What's not okay is silly high school games and—

"No, it wasn't Vecker!"

"Really? Then when did you find out?" I am getting even angrier. "Is it the reason you wanted to hang out? Because you found out the truth?"

"Vecker—"

"Is it?" I step forward.

"Yes." He's barely audible but I hear him and all I can... say is

Oh God.

I already knew it but having it confirmed makes it hurt so much more. Now I know that everything after Valentine's Day was a lie.

The nondate.

The lunches.

The advice.

Everything.

"Well congratulations Liam Griffith," I slow clap. "You caught the big bad catfish," I stop.

"Vecker..." he steps forward but I move back.

"Man, you're so good because you really had me fooled there." I shake my head in disbelief.

I trusted him blindly and in the end, I'm the one that got played. I got hackled for no reason, had different people take my pictures for no reason and all I want to do now—is cry because...

"You got your revenge playboy." I'm walking with my backside facing front, "hope it was worth it." I turn and he still calls my name.

By the time I reach my car across the road, I'm wiping tears from my cheeks as my phone lights up with notifications and calls. I already know what's coming for me.

I'm about to be crucified

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

313K 4.4K 41
He stalks her all through out the day and night, she please herself to the thought of him, they both have high end jobs but Believe the other one has...
4K 119 7
What would you do if your boyfriend broke up with you for someone else? Even worse. She is that girl. Popular, shallow and horribly perfect. The one...
551 15 31
'Well, will you be my girlfriend?' 'You're supposed to be on one knee, idiot.' I get down on one knee. 'Will you be my girlfriend, Skye?' She acts...
7.1K 90 35
June's senior year in high school starts probably the worst way possible - her first boyfriend and supposedly love of her life cheats on her and dump...