The Arsonist's Web

By Zymfoe

Virgil's wife, Jules, is dead, taken by an act of arson. Who could have started the flame? A crooked mayor, a... More

Hello
Prologue
Chapter 1: The Fire
Chapter 2: The House
Chapter 4: The Illus
Chapter 5: The Neon Dreamland
Chapter 6: The Caves
Chapter 7: The Conspiracy
Chapter 8: The Monster
Chapter 9: The Monarch
Chapter 10: The Father, The Encounter
Chapter 11: The Plot
Chapter 12: The Lie
Chapter 13: The Nukes

Chapter 3: The Prisoner

3 2 0
By Zymfoe

The air was silent, hanging still before the ominous building that was Berkley's Prison. Brick by brick the strongest prison in all the kingdoms stood in the middle of the field, daring anyone sane to enter. With four towers defending its four corners, each with twenty guards manning its catwalks, it was a well-fortified fortress against anyone attempting to break the ex-king out. The cloudy sky only added to the sense of gloom engulfing the area, swallowing any remains of joy or humanity. It was just another day at the prison, Virgil supposed.

Legend had it that Berkley, the architect of the prison, worked for Trojan during the war. Villagers say that he'd once been a reputable man with a growing small business of renovating houses. That all changed when he met Trojan. The man was instantly corrupted. He grew irritable and angry, wily in a way that had his colleagues cast him out in a heartbeat. The man left his wife and kids to become the premier architect of the kingdom, working to build palaces for Trojan, among other ventures. He most famous work was this prison, an abomination to his earlier, simple life, but a masterpiece to him now. It was created with the idea of trapping some sort of unnamed monster, one that would grow into a mega-beast.

Rumor has it the monster was unlike any other, a titan among men with claws that rip through bone like butter. With a roar louder than the marching of armies, a soldier in the next town owner could have heard this beast announce its arrival. It's said that the being could have turned the war in Trojan's favor with ease. The allusive monster, however, never saw the light of day, and may have only been a bit of lore to scare the rebels, but it was an effective tactic nonetheless. Villagers still shuttered their homes at night in fear that one day, the cursed creation Trojan had but mentioned would return, seeking revenge on the new post-war settlements.

Virgil tried not to believe the rumors, especially since he'd been housed in a tower-like prison for some time, but staring up at the prison made him question his resolve. He shook his head to clear his mind, and proceeded with the plan, approaching the prison doors. He signaled to the guard atop the corner tower to let him in, and soon enough, the doors slowly creaked open. Virgil held his arms in a hug as he forced himself forward; there was no turning back now.

After being led down many hallways by another guard, Virgil stood before the final room, the prison cell of all prison cells, what the villagers called "Hell's Keep". The room was massive, able to hold the silent cries of thousands that Trojan had taken during the war. A single bridge closed the gap between the prison and the cell, a room constructed as a human-sized bird cage suspended from the ceiling. A thin walkway circled the cage for visitors to view the criminal within, but there were no guard rails to save them from the threat below. Beneath the cage by hundreds of feet was a vat of acid, able to tear flesh from limb and cook any species. All Trojan's visitors had suffered the same fate, and had been swallowed alive by the acid. Virgil wondered if he'd end up the same. No, he told himself. That won't happen. I'm stronger now. He can't control me anymore.

"There he is," the guard said, interrupting Virgil's thoughts. "Go on."

The humanoid held back a fearful whine in the back of his throat and simply nodded; he wouldn't let fear stop him. One step at a time, Virgil made the perilous walk across the bridge. He eyed the bird cage with a growing sense of dread as he recalled the abuse he'd suffered. With little lighting in Hell's Keep, all Virgil could make out in the cage was one, shadowy figure that stood solemnly, waiting for him. The humanoid shivered. Facing one's abuser was never easy- he just thought it'd be easier than this.

Finally, when Virgil came to end of the platform, he heard the evil ex-king's chuckle. "Why, hello, Virgil," Trojan purred. "How have you been?"

The being glared at where he believed Trojan's eyes to be. "You know why I'm here, Trojan," Virgil spat. "What are you planning now?"

The mastermind hummed. "I forgot to ask, how's your family?"

The humanoid's eyes went wide as rage clawed up Virgil's consciousness. He pointed an ivory finger at the man veiled in darkness. "You were behind the attack on my family, weren't you?!"

Trojan laughed in the most sarcastic of tones. "yes, I did it," he taunted. "I attacked your family. Although, I wouldn't say that's entirely true, Virgil." The words whispered through the air dared Virgil to defy him: "You and I both know who's actually responsible, or did you forget your place?"

Virgil clenched his fists. "I'm tired of you thinking that you can manipulate me with words to activate my curse. I am not your slave anymore! You don't own me!"

The humanoid didn't need to see the ex-king to know he'd have the most wicked of grins on his face. "Do you doubt my power, Virgil? Do you doubt my ability to put you under my thumb?"

The sentient spluttered for a response. Denial had tunneled into his brain like a lethal parasite. The only man who had historically sent him into a violet trance was Trojan, but fear challenged those facts. Virgil didn't want to believe that this man, the terrorist who'd incited multiple wars, could control him. Shivers ran down the humanoid's spine. Even the thought of becoming an impressionable zombie, sent him gasping for air.

"No, no. Of course, you can't," Virgil lied, nearing hysterics. The sentient dug his trembling fingers through his hair, hoping to slow the building panic. "You can't control me!"

"Can't I?" trojan trained his predatory eyes on his newest victim. "Virgil," he purred, "why don't you step to the edge of the walkway for me?" The reaction was instant. Something primal snapped at Virgil's core. The humanoid gasped as his heart seemed to drop in his chest. A dense fog clouded the being's mind, making it hard to form new thoughts. A bright, violet light leaked out of Virgil's eyes, suddenly he wasn't Virgil anymore- he was a slave, a mere pawn in an endless chess game. He lived to obey.

With rigid, stiff joints, the creature turned to face the sea of acid. He crept closer and closer to the edge, step after step until he reached the precipice. "Oh, Virgil," a sinister voice called. "Time to wake up." The creature blinked slowly as he transitioned back to his humanoid state. The violet light in his eyes faded back to their usual sky blue hue. As the fog in his mind cleared, Virgil began to take in his new surroundings; the sentient yelped. The sudden jolt of his body caused him to stumble. One of his feet missed the edge of the precipice, and suddenly, Virgil was falling. He blindly shot his arms out as he twisted around in the air. His hand grabbed the edge just in time. Using all the strength he possessed, the being hoisted himself back into the box, where he collapsed to the floor.

Panting, his thoughts racing, Virgil tried to process what had just happened. I almost died. I almost died, he screamed inside his mind. I- I can't believe it. Trojan really can control my violet trance. I always had a feeling that would be the case, but this just proves it. He's psychotic!

A stereotypically evil cackle assaulted Virgil's ears, stopping the whirlwind of thoughts that tore through his mind. The being looked up to find the mastermind holding his belly as he laughed heartily. Rage coursed through Virgil's veins. How dare Trojan laugh at his pain? Was there no low this man wouldn't reach, no right he wouldn't breach? Virgil scowled; he'd had enough. The being shot up to a stand, ready to confront the dangerous criminal. "How- How dare you use my curse!" he yelled. "Stop getting inside my head!"

"I'll do whatever I want," Trojan replied. "You can't stop me. No one can."

"You're wrong," Virgil argued. "I can. I will put an end to whatever you're planning, once and for all. You'll be sorry you ever abducted me, Trojan. I promise you." The humanoid straightened his posture, stared into the dark void of his abuser, and turned away. Virgil released a breath he didn't know he'd been holding; he'd made his point, it was time to go.

Trojan started with a chuckle, then a laugh, then a fit of laughter echoed through the chambers like an ugly melody. Just as Virgil made it to the door to rejoining the twisting tunnels out, he heard Trojan's reply: "It's only a matter of time, my loyal servant. It's only a matter of time before you come home."

A lot of changes to the setting here at the prison, and a lot more lore. What do we think? Which prison is scarier: Pandora's Box or Hell's Keep? Let me know in the comments! 

Will Virgil be able to hold his own against Trojan? Will he end whatever Trojan is up to before it's too late? Stay tuned to find out!

-Zym

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46.1K 1.9K 21
Virgil has a dark secret that he has been keeping from the other sides. How long will it take until one of them finds out? ⚠️WARNING⚠️ swearing, angs...
2.5K 438 32
The road home is gone, the path ahead is all that remains. The Godslayer returns, finally free of the scheming of gods and men. Unchained, unleashed...
144 11 10
In a realm of magic, where demonic and divine creatures roam, Ferndall, the Prince of Necropolis, inherits a kingdom scarred by war. His birth marked...
13.5K 430 56
Virgil has secrets. His magic, his past and his love for Princey. He can't control his magic, hides his past and loves from afar. Dee wants to take c...