**OLD DRAFT**Sworn: Book 2 of...

By TheDowny

Destiny is not guaranteed. It is not written. It is earned. It is lived. After leaving behind everything she... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Watty's 2015
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Author's Note and Some Updates!
New Story
Authors Note

Chapter 9

4.6K 376 106
By TheDowny

******Don't forget to vote and as always I try hard to return comments!!******

                Jade was confined to bed rest for another day before she deemed herself well enough to leave. On the morning of the third day she made it halfway out of the corridor before Hamlin cut her off. "Where do you think you're going?" he asked, his eyebrows rose on his forehead.

"Out of here," Jade stated firmly. "Bedrest will not cure what ails my body."

"How are you feeling?" Hamlin asked.

"Fine," Jade said and went to step around Hamlin. Spry, despite his old age, Hamlin jabbed a finger into Jade's stomach. She slapped his hand away and cursed as the sharp pain erupted deep in her gut. It was almost enough to bring her to her knees but she took a deep breath and fought through it.

"Uh huh," Hamlin said skeptically as Jade took a step back away from him.

"I'm fine Hamlin," Jade said again. "Just as long as you don't follow me around and jab me in the stomach."

"How do you expect to protect Reiner in your state?" he asked. "You're not in any state to even protect yourself."

"We're working that out," Jade assured him.

Hamlin sighed, "I haven't found anything yet in my inquiries. I'd like for you to stay a big longer where I can examine you when needed."

"No," Jade shook her head. "I'm not staying her a minute longer. I'm sorry Hamin, but I've lived and survived with this thus far and I will continue to do so. Do what you want and inquire where you will but don't expect me to slow down and wait for you."

Hamlin grunted, "Fine."

Jade nodded, "Fine."

He let her go without another word and Jade made her way back to her quarters. Reiner could be anywhere in the palace so she decided she would take a bath and change her clothes. After lying around in bed for two days, Jade was ready to return to normality as quickly as possible. When Jade was clean and had changed they went in search of Reiner.

Phantom put his nose to the ground the moment they stepped out of the room and led the way down the hall. Jade watched with interest as people moved out of the way for the large wolf. He barely lifted his head while he focused on Reiner's scent. Jade knew she could have simply asked someone where to find the prince, but she was fascinated by Phantom's ability to track.

They made their way out of the palace and across the grounds toward the training barracks. Royal guards shifted out of Phantom's way and gave Jade strange looks. She wondered what sort of rumors had spread during her short absence. Reiner was in the training yard, surrounded by a large group of Royal Guard. The men all had their backs to Jade and so Phantom let out a growl to gain their attention. When they noticed a large black beast they quickly moved aside and Jade followed in his wake.

When Reiner and Jade first met they had challenged each other with their swords. Little had Jade known at the time that he was testing her skill, assessing her worthy of his employment. The fight had been cut short when Charles had arrived with the Royal guard, but Jade has quickly realized that Reiner was not a pampered prince. He had been masterful with his blade; it was only Jade's edge with her katana that had given her the ability to end the fight so quickly.

Now she was able to watch from the side as a spectator. Reiner was in training leathers and swinging unmercifully against his opponent. Jade noticed the Master of Arms watching the fight from the side. Jade focused on Reiner's opponent and was shocked to recognize him.

"Come on prince, I have five gold heads on you to win!" someone in the crowd shouted and laughed. The master at arms didn't even blink away from Reiner, he was watching him carefully and Jade knew he would critic Reiner at the end of the fight. Lander thought he was doing well by the look on his face. He wore leathers like Reiner's and was deflecting Reiner's moves to attack with precise movements. Jade had never gotten the chance to witness Lander fight, but he was a soldier, and seeing him move with a sword in his hand made that more evident. Jade noticed however that Reiner did not look worried; despite being on the offensive and having every attack blocked he was calculated. Jade knew he was testing Landers skill, the same as he had done with Jade.

Should I break it up? Jade felt Phantom's concern and she eased his worry with a simple touch. "Finish him off, Reiner!" the Master of Arms seems annoyed that Reiner had not ended the fight already. Reiner moved and with a simple twist Lander was dead, or he would have been if they had actually been fighting. Reiner's blade kissed Landers neck and Lander backed up a step and bowed with a smile.

The crowd clapped and Jade stepped forward, along with the Master of Arms. Lander looked over when he noticed Phantom and saw Jade. "Jade," he said with a smile.

"Lander," she greeted. "I see you got your ass kicked."

He laughed, "I was holding my own."

"No, you were being played with. Reiner could have ended you any time he wanted," Jade informed him with a smile. "You fight well though."

He frowned. "It's not nice to tease Jade," he said.

"It's true son. Don't take it too hard, Reiner is among the best swordsmen that I've taught," the Master of Arms piped into their conversation. Reiner looked over to Jade and smiled at her.

"How are you feeling?" he asked softly while Lander argued with the older teacher.

"I'm fine," she told him. "What do you think of Lander?"

"It's hopeful," he said honestly.

The arguing was growing louder and finally Jade couldn't take it. "Lander, Reiner won and you lost. He also could have ended it at any moment because every time you go on the defensive you're predictable. I watched for a matter of seconds and could see that you leave yourself exposed." Landers eyebrows shot up.

"She's right," the Master of Arms piped in and Lander glared at him.

"Stand down soldier," Reiner held up his hand to Lander and lander shut his mouth and bowed again. "You fought well."

"Thank you my prince," Lander said.

"Why don't we see how the girl fares?" the Master of Arms suggested and there were shouts of agreements from the men who were still gathered. Jade spotted Merek and he smiled at her, she returned it.

"I don't think that's a good idea," Reiner shook his head.

"Nonsense, she's a trained Felkorian. You could learn something."

"Sir Ariston," Reiner said firmly. "I do not wish to fight Jade."

"Why not?" Sir Ariston asked and Jade stepped in.

"It's fine sir, I would be honored to fight you," she gave Reiner a meaningful look. She didn't want more rumors to spread about her absence and if they made excuses for her not to fight then people might suspect something.

Reiner looked at her, "You're sure?"

She nodded, "I'm sure."

"Good, grab a sword Jade," Sir Ariston pointed at the rack behind him full of practice blades. Jade made her way over and the men who were still gathered moved aside and started making bets. Reiner joined her a moment later, feigning the need for a fresh sword.

"You don't have to do this," he said.

"You need a chance to redeem yourself," Jade told him lightly and picked out a sword. It was a long and but light. Jade spun it in her hands a few times to test the weight. After all the time she had spent practicing and getting used to the feel of her Katana it felt odd to hold a normal sword again. She unstrapped her cloak and her Katana and handed them to Merek to hold.

"Jade," he greeted and took her things.

"Merek," she nodded and walked to the middle of the rough circle. Jade swung the sword around to loosen her arm. The pain in her stomach was nothing but a dull ache and moving a sword didn't seem to bother it.

Phantom moved off to the side to watch and Reiner stepped up. "Fighters ready?" Sir Ariston asked.

"Ready," Jade said.

"Ready," Reiner echoed.

"Fight!" Sir Ariston shouted and backed away. The crowd that had watched silently the fight before now shouted and cheered, mostly to Reiner's favor. Reiner attacked like a snake and she saw in his form and by his face that he wanted to end the fight as quickly as possible. Jade however, was no going to allow him to coddle her. She danced to the side knocked his sword away from her torso. He spun back to face her and attacked again without hesitating.

Reiner was fast but what was more was that he was precise and fluid with is motions. Jade found that she could barely defend herself while she was focused on adjusting back to the double edged sword. Reiner saw her hesitation and didn't leave her an opportunity to find her rhythm. Back off Reiner.

Jade deflected Reiner's blade almost too late and it grazed off her arm, as blunt as the practice blade was it scrapped against her skin painfully. Jade stepped in closer to Reiner and locked the guard of her sword with Reiner's and twisted. "What are you doing?" Jade demanded. "You're acting like a small child."

"You're the one acting like a stubborn child," Reiner argued. "There's no reason for you to be doing this so soon after your attack."

"I don't need your protection," she said and Reiner tried to pull his sword free but Jade twisted her foot and pushed forward, keeping them locked together so she could talk.

"I'm not trying to protect you Jade. I'm just looking out for your health," he said angrily.

"Well I didn't ask you to," she said growing angrier.

"You didn't have to," he retorted and Jade shoved him away and took a few steps back. She took a breath and adjusted her grip so she held the sword lightly with one hand. She shut herself down, blocked out the world and focused solely on the fight, as she should have done to begin with. Jade lifetime of training filled her body down to her core and she shivered at the sensation of how easily she tapped into her Felkorian self.

Don't overthink. Breathe and react. Nemroy's voice echoed in her mind.

Jade locked eyes with Reiner and did not break from his gaze. Too many swordsmen watched an opponent's blade and moved accordingly. Jade had moved past that method after the first five years of her training, after memorizing multiple forms of the blade Jade was taught to watch the eyes and then the feet on an opponent, but more importantly she was taught to trust her instinct.

Jade moved before Reiner had the chance. She swung low forcing Reiner to dance back as her blade slashed across the cobblestone and sent sparks flying. Jade swung low again, doing the same in the opposite direction, forcing Reiner back before he was able to bring his sword up press an attack. Jade felt him move toward her before he actually made the move. On her next low swing at his feet he jumped forward instead of backward, bringing his sword up for an attack from above. Jade jumped toward him and they collided. Reiner managed to keep hold of his sword but lost his footing and fell backward.

Stunned silence followed while the crowd registered that the edge of Jade's blade was at Reiner's throat. Reiner's arms were splayed out on either side and Jade held his gaze while she straddled his chest. Reiner's hair was wet with sweat and odd strands clung to his forehead. "Alright, everyone back to their training. You've seen enough, go on!" Sir Ariston shouted and crowd slowly dispersed.

"Jade?" Reiner asked.

The pain was almost unbearable, but Jade was stubborn she didn't want to admit that she was hurting. Not after she had made her point. The impact had caused her stomach to erupt painfully as it had with Hamlin. Jade took a shaky breath, trying to hold back to scream, her eyes watered. "Jade," Reiner said firmer, noticing something was wrong.

"Fine," she managed to say and shook her head.

Reiner gently moved the sword away from his neck and Jade let the blade drop loudly onto the stone. She felt as though she was on the verge of an attack and yet she had never anticipated one before. She forced herself to back off of Reiner and he got to his knees and took her shoulder in his hand. "Is it an attack?" he asked quietly.

Jade could only manage a single nod. Reiner stood and Phantom came to her, she reached out with one hand and gripped his fur, "What happened?" she heard Sir Ariston ask. Jade didn't listen for Reiner's response.

Get up Jade. Stand up, damn it you're stronger than this. Get. Up.

Jade took another sharp breath and push herself to her feet. The pain increased but she forced herself to breath, a tear ran down her cheek and she quickly wiped it away. "I'm fine," she said through her teeth.

"It was just an accident," Reiner assured Sir Ariston.

"Let me take a look," Sir Ariston moved toward Jade but Phantom let out a vicious snarl and he quickly backed away.

"Watch your wolf!" he said angrily and looked at Reiner.

"Thank you Sir Ariston, you're dismissed," Reiner squared his shoulders. Sir Ariston huffed out a sharp breath and bowed then walked away, taking the practice swords with him. Merek and Lander stepped up but Reiner sent them away.

"Put your arm around me," Reiner told Jade and she slipped an arm over his shoulder. Jade was surprised at the ease of which he took her weight. Reiner led her away from the training grounds. The pain ripped through her gut and Jade bent over and clenched her teeth. It wasn't an attack, but Jade felt as though she was on the verge of one.

"Get me out of here," she said when she caught her breath.

"Working on it," he said looking around for somewhere that Jade wouldn't be seen. They were already catching too many eyes.

Phantom yapped a short bark and disappeared toward the stable. Reiner moved and followed him while Jade struggled to keep her feet under her, even with Reiner's help. Reiner followed Phantom to the carriage house. The door was open but there was no one inside. Reiner eased Jade down and closed the door behind them. Jade doubled over and coughed as the attack manifested itself fully. She gripped Phantoms fur and Reiner moved his hand back and forth gently across her shoulders. She had always been alone when the pain hit, swallowed by helplessness and misery. It was different his time, she wasn't alone and somehow it made it easier.

The attack passed and Phantom licked the blood from Jade's chin. "Thanks," she whispered to him. The carriage house smelled like wood and leather.

"Are you alright?" Reiner asked quietly.

"Yeah," Jade said. The pain was less noticeable again, but she wondered if the attacks would always be so easily triggered now. She would be truly useless to protect Reiner if that were the case.

"I'm sorry," he said.

"No, I'm the one who should apologize," Jade told him. "I let my pride get in the way of sense. I have to learn to accept the fact that things are changing in my life, again. I shouldn't have gotten angry, it was stupid and I'm sorry."

Reiner sat down next to Jade, much like they how they had sat and slept on the night of his most recent nightmare. "Well I accept your apology, but I do owe you one too. We were both being foolish back there."

Jade chuckled. "Maybe, but I still kicked your ass," she pointed out.

Reiner laughed, "I suppose you did. You'll have to show me a few things sometime."

"I'd be happy to," Jade said earnestly. There was a moment of silence. "What did you think of Lander and Merek?"

Reiner let out a sigh and ran a hand through his hair. "Well I haven't had much of a chance to gauge them yet," he said. "But from what I can tell so far I know you've made a solid suggestion. Lander has great credentials as a captain and the men that have worked under him have nothing but good things to say. Merek is a loyal solider, you can see it in the way he carries himself and he's been a valuable asset to Lander's promotions." It interested Jade to hear an outsider's opinion of two men that she has come to value.

"They helped save my life," Jade told him. "They are good men and I would trust them with my life."

Reiner looked at Jade sideways. "Yes, but do you trust them with my life?"

Jade raised an eyebrow. "Do you think I would have suggested them if I thought otherwise?" she asked.

He shrugged, "It's happened before." His eyes darkened at the thought and Jade pushed herself up to her knees to face Reiner and slapped him hard on the cheek.

His eyes widened and he touched the spot where Jade had struck. "Never insult me like that again," she warned him darkly and Phantom rumbled a growl. She wasn't sure to whom he was warning, maybe both of them.

"I didn't mean-"

"-I don't care what you meant," Jade told him. "As your new personal advisor or whatever the hell my title is I'm telling you not insult me again for your own safety."

Reiner chuckled, "You're right. Sorry...again."

Jade sighed. "You're always apologizing. Aren't princes supposed to be stuck up and arrogant?"

Reiner threw her a grin, "It's only because you bring out the worst in me."

"I take offense to that," Jade said with a smile.

"Don't," Reiner reached out and took Jade's hand. His face had turned serious and Jade's smile faltered. "I mean it in the best possible way," he assured her. Jade realized how close she was to Reiner, and how alone they were in the dark carriage house. Phantom had moved off to sit by the door.

"Reiner..." Jade said. He was staring at her lips. She wasn't even sure if he realized what he was doing. "We should go," she said and stood up quickly. She ignored the pain in her stomach and the ache that seemed to have spread through her entire body. Jade clearly remembered the way that Reiner had watched and looked at her during the solstice ball. She wondered if he now constantly saw Jade's femininity instead of his sworn. She found herself wishing that she had never put on that dress.

"Right, of course." Reiner seemed to remember himself and stood up. He avoided Jade's gaze and pushed his sweaty hair away from his forehead.

"I need to get my things back from Lander and Merek," Jade told him.

Reiner nodded, "Lead the way."

Reiner spoke again with his father that evening around the dinner table about Lander becoming captain of his personal guard. Jade stood in the corner of the room while the family ate a private dinner. She listened with interest as the entire family spoke back and forth. Louisa and Charles sat at the end of the table across from each other. Reiner was at his father's left hand across from Jack and his wife.

Jack was a part of the conversation with Reiner as much as the king was. As he was being trained and incorporated with the duties of the king he made a point to ask questions about Reiner's intention with the soldiers that would be assigned to him. He was making sure that his younger brother didn't have the intention of starting a rebellion and Reiner assured him that he swore an oath to protect and serve his family.

It interested Jade to realize that while they were all a family unit that they still had to worry about loyalty of their brothers and sisters. Jade realized that it was a great trust to give Reiner soldiers on the faith that he would not turn them against the crown. But as ambassador the crown also had to show a level of faith. Charles and Louisa talked in hushed voices and laughed mischievously. They sent Jade knowing glances and made faces and she had a hard time keeping a straight face.

Thatcher stood on the opposite wall his wolf Astral sat and stared at Phantom and Phantom stared back. There was no given emotion from Thatcher. In fact he seemed to be doing his best to ignore Jade entirely. The queen was an entirely different matter. She sat in the middle of the table with her children so she could speak with them, instead of at the head with her husband. Throughout the evening she continually observed Jade and offered her discreet smiles.

Sometime before dessert was served Charles stood up with his glass and clanged a delicate fork against it. The room hushed. "Reiner my brother, you've proven us all wrong over this past year and since the attack on your life you've shown your quality. I speak for myself when I say that you've inspired me to push myself and do better for this family and kingdom. I would like to offer myself to you in whatever way I might be of use. If father approves and if you'll have me I'd like to come with you as you venture back to your estate and then onward to Felkor." The family seemed as surprised as Jade was by the announcement.

Reiner stood up and walked to Charles. "I'd be honored to have you," Reiner said and hugged his brother tightly.

"Bravo Charles," the king called down the table. "I will speak with both of you later about this, but you have my blessing."

"Thank you father," Reiner and Charles said at the same time. Louisa and the queen seemed to be the only two who weren't surprised. Jade remembered that Louisa had asked Reiner about Charles going with him. Louisa seemed sad and the queen didn't seem pleased and she wondered why. Perhaps it was the thought of two of her sons leaving the safety of her nest, but somehow Jade doubted it. Jade looked to Thatcher and found that he was watching her. She swallowed when he didn't look away; instead he barely gave the smallest of nods to Jade.

What is he up to? Jade wondered.

Later that night when Jade was asleep in her bed a small knock came to Jade's door from the hallway. Jade kept a knife in her hand and opened the door. It was the queen, again. Jade quickly let her inside and looked both ways down the empty hall before closing the door behind her. The queen stood in the middle of the room and looked around the quarters.

"We really need to stop meeting like this," the queen said softly when Jade had closed the door.

Jade bowed her head, "It's an honor to have you at any hour your majesty."

The queen smiled, "You know I would give almost anything to have someone like you in my court Jade." She took a seat by the fire and motioned for Jade to also sit. "Where is your wolf?" she asked looking around the room.

"Phantom sleeps with Reiner your majesty," Jade told her.

"Interesting," the queen said.

"Can I ask what bring you here tonight?" Jade asked her carefully. She knew the queen did not make late night visits a regular habit.

"You may, Jade," the queen said with a smile. "I came to talk to you about Charles."

"Your son?" Jade asked surprised.

"Yes," she said with a nod. "He and Reiner have always been close, and I have no doubt the two of them will make a wonderful team. However, I do not wish for him to accompany Reiner."

Jade leaned forward. "What is that you fear my queen?" she asked curiously.

"Reiner is about to push boundaries, Jade. I admit that it's a risk we have to take and it could lose our trust with Felkor. It's something we've known all along but still we must take action before war comes. If Felkor cannot see reason we must close the borders and guard them carefully, it will mean alienating them. What Reiner is doing...he will make enemies if he does not succeed." The queen took a breath and rubbed her finger along her thumbnail.

"I admit that while I fear for Reiner's life during this time I now fear more for Charles. Not because I love him more or care less for Reiner, but because he's at more of a risk. You are not Felkorian, you're an exile. I do not fear you turning on my son or putting him a risk should your people lash out. I cannot however, say the same for Thatcher. He's a highborn Felkorian and Protector. What happens to my sons' life when his people demand reparation for Reiner's actions? If they cannot have Reiner, they will take what is available to them. I wish to keep Charles away from Felkor but what can a mother do? My sons are grown men and my husband the king will not order Charles to stay." The queen stared at the empty fire place and Jade slid off her chair and made a fire for the queen to keep warm by.

After some silence had passed and Jade had time to think about the queen's word she finally spoke. "I do not think Thatcher would turn on your son," she said carefully.

"Why?" the queen asked.

"He's served Charles a long time," Jade said. "I have to believe that he doesn't serve Charles solely for the money." And he helped me get away from Hevic when he came to take me.

"Perhaps, but do you have proof?" the queen demanded.

"No," Jade admitted. "I only have my gut feeling."

"Do you trust Thatcher? Would you trust him if your life depended on it?" the queen asked carefully.

Jade sighed. "No," she admitted. For as much as Jade wanted to hope that Thatcher was an ally, she could not bring herself to trust me.

"Then you understand why I have my reserves," the queen said.

"I do," Jade admitted. "So what do you wish me to do?"

"I asked you to protect Reiner, when the time comes will you do what you can for Charles?" she asked.

Jade shivered. "I can't do that your majesty. I am sworn to Reiner, by my blood I may only be sworn to one. It's how this all works."

"I understand you cannot swear yourself to protect Charles like you have Reiner, Jade. All I am asking is that when the time comes you will do your best to keep Charles from harm. If Thatcher should turn and show his color will do your best to stop him?" the queen asked.

Jade bit the inside of her cheek, "I cannot make any oaths to you my queen. All I can promise you is to keep my eyes open and of course I will do my best to keep your sons safe...but Reiner comes first to me, always."

"I understand," the queen nodded. "I just wish Charles were more like Reiner. He's always had a head for games and strategy like his father but Reiner has been masterful with sword since he was a child. The sword master who taught him growing up called him a natural; never to his face of course. He didn't want Reiner to become arrogant. He was always beautiful to watch fight though, he learned different techniques quickly and surpassed his older siblings in their talent." The queen sighed, "Before the attempt on his life I used to think he was untouchable. It's humbling reminder to understand that we are all still human." The queen looked up at Jade. "You've beaten him twice by the sword have you not?"

"I have, but each time has been..." Jade searched for the right word. "Unfair."

"How so?" the queen asked.

"I'm not sure I can explain it, but I have a feeling that if your son wished me true harm I would not make it away with my life," it was the honest truth. When Jade fought Reiner the first time, the Katana had given her a great advantage. Any more time fighting against Jade and she knew Reiner would pick up on her techniques and learn. Today Jade had beaten him by sheer surprise and she had known that she wasn't risking her life. She would not catch him off guard again. If he was a true natural Jade would quickly run out of tricks. Jade might have grown up with a sword in her hand, but instinct was not something that could be taught.

The queen took a deep breath and stood from her chair. Jade jumped to her feet. "I enjoy our chats Jade, thank you," she said.

Jade bowed, "It's always a pleasure your majesty."

"Goodnight," the queen said and Jade went and opened the door.

"Goodnight," Jade watched the queen disappear down the hall and shut the door.

Lander and Merek swore their oaths to Reiner at the end of the week. The two men were dressed in their full uniforms and looked rather dashing. Jade couldn't help but smile at them from behind her station behind Reiner. Reiner was given a list of names from the king, names of soldiers of whom Reiner was allowed to make a part of his personal guard.

"You will be stationed here on palace grounds until we depart for my estate," Reiner told the two men when they walked toward the barracks. "You take your orders from me but Jade is in charge of my safety."

Jade flashed them a grin and they tentatively smiled back. They were still tight around Reiner, they spoke to him formally and bowed and showed him every bit of respect he deserved. Jade wasn't sure if Reiner would allow them the same ease of friendship that he had extended her, but she was sure with time he would loosen up around them. Even with Jade's assurances he was keep his cards close to his chest. "Any questions?" Reiner asked when he handed the paperwork over the barrack master. The man looked at the seals and looked up to the soldiers.

"No sir," Lander said to him.

"Good, get settled. I will call for you after dinner." Reiner nodded to the barrack master and he led Lander and Merek to their rooms. Reiner watched them go and turned to Jade.

"No turning back now," he said and left to go back to the palace.

"No," Jade agreed. "So now what?"

"Now we must find the rest of my guard. Lander and Merek will make good leaders, but now it's the rest we must worry about." Jade wished Reiner had the status to swear Reed back into service, along with his men. For all of her past grievances with Reed she knew they were good men, they would have made a fine personal guard for Reiner. Still, Jade kept them in the back of her mind. She knew there may be a time when she needed to call upon them for help.

"So where do we start?" Jade asked.

Reiner snorted, "Your guess is as good as mine. The commander made a few suggestions but many of the men on the list are unseasoned. They cannot afford to give me veteran soldiers, so we must use our own intuition and judgement."

Jade looked down at Phantom and then touched a hand to Reiner's elbow. "Phantom can help with that," she said. "He has a good sense about people. I say we start with the list. We ask Lander and Merek if they recognize any names, along with the ones the commander gave, and go from there."

Reiner nodded, "It's a start anyway."

"It's a start," Jade agreed. She knew there would be more to choosing a guard than good feelings and intuition. Just because someone was a good or loyal person didn't mean they would be adequate at protecting Reiner or work well as a group. She knew they would each need to be tested. The list was long and Reiner was anxious to leave, she wondered how patient he would be with the process.

Much to Jade's surprise Reiner showed his quality as a leader over the next two weeks. While in private he bickered and complained about being kept at the capital longer than he wished, during the day he was attentive and poised. Lander and Merek also proved their worth. Jade, not for the first time, was able to see why Lander was a captain and why Merek made such a good soldier. They helped Reiner cut through the list of names, inquiring among the other soldiers in a more effect manner than Reiner or Jade would have been able in such a short time.

In the end the list was narrowed to only a handful of names. "Eight of these men will be my guard," Reiner said one evening while tapped at a piece of parchment that was sprawled across his knee.

"How does that make you feel?" Jade asked sipping at a cup of warm tea. She could smell the only the slightest hint of lavender.

"Uneasy," Reiner admitted.

"I'd be surprised if you weren't. You're putting your faith in people outside of yourself, but this time you have me and Phantom to trust," Jade smiled encouragingly at him.

He nodded. "Lander and Merek are good men. I have no qualms with them thus far."

"I trust their judgement also," Jade set down the tea on the table and pressed her black handkerchief to her mouth and coughed a handful of times. There were a few dots of blood when she pulled the cloth away, against the black it was barely noticeable but Jade was looking for it.

Reiner frowned from his chair, since the attack in the carriage house Jade hadn't had another violet bout. Instead, she had a nagging cough that came went throughout the day, each time there were droplets of blood and the pain in her gut was constantly there like a dull headache had fallen from her head and settled low in her stomach. To Jade it didn't feel like she was having a lack of attacks, but rather that she was constantly under attack. While the blood and pain was less violent, she found that this new development was more difficult to live with and harder to hide.

Every time Jade stood guard with Phantom in a meeting outside in a hall or whenever they walked in the gardens she had her black handkerchief at hand. She was often offered a glass of water and she felt ashamed that she had drawn attention to herself and disrupted the conversation. Thatcher was as watchful as ever. Since Charles had been signed on to accompany Reiner he'd been busy with his own affairs and preparing for his departure. Jade ran into Thatcher a handful of times in the kitchen and baths but he never spoke a word, he silent stepped to the side to let her pass then then disappeared.

She wanted to catch him alone and have a private word with him, but every time she saw him she lost her nerve. There was something bugging Jade, it tugged at the back of her mind since her latest conversation with the queen. Doubt whittled its way into her blood. Can Thatcher be trusted? Jade remembered telling Reiner and the queen that she didn't think Thatcher would be one to break his oath to Charles. After six years of serving Jade wanted to believe that she could trust him to Protect Charles, even against his own people. But could she really?

You have no proof that you can trust him Jade. Thatcher is a tightly shut book of which you've glanced only a handful of words. Phantom gave no indication one way or the other. He seemed rather neutral toward Astral and Thatcher which perplexed Jade even more. Jade also not bring herself to ask Reiner his opinions or share her own. She knew Reiner was wary enough when it came to Protectors, and she wanted to believe that there were more Felkorian's like her parents and like Gregor.

"Are you alright?" Reiner asked. Jade jerked her eyes away from the drops of blood and brought her attention back to the present.

"Yes," she said.

"Hamlin is stumped you know," Reiner said looking at the black cloth in Jade's hand. He had stopped panicking about every cough after Jade finally snapped and yelled at him to stop bothering her every time she made a face of discomfort. He still looked concerned but he kept his feelings contained. Jade was grateful, she didn't want to be seen as needing coddling. She was accustomed to pain and nothing had changed, not truly. "He's been inquiring and searching his books and scrolls for answers or hints of your illness and can find nothing."

Jade shrugged, absently trailing her fingers over the scar on her left hand. Recently it had taken to tingling during odd hours of the night, as if the scar had fallen asleep and was suddenly receiving blood flow, or as if someone had pricked it with a needle. While everything was looking hopeful for Reiner and their preparations, it felt to Jade a dark mist had crept into her soul and dampened the light and warmth. There were other things tugging at Jade's mind, a dark memory that was shrouded like a fog. Every time she thought she would grab hold of it, it slipped between her fingers.

"I never truly expected him to find a solution," Jade told Reiner.

Reiner frowned, "I refuse to let you be so negative, Jade. I'm the one who pouts and you're the one who charges brazenly ahead remember?" He tried for a smile and Jade returned it halfheartedly.

"Of course," she said, feeling tired. Reiner had three nights in a row in the past week in which he had woken in terror, the second night he had tried to strike Jade and strangle her again but she was become more accustomed to his movements. She hadn't been bruised this time and said nothing to Reiner since he had enough going on. The lack of sleep, the constant pain, and the loss of blood had been wearing on Jade. She worried what the long Ride to Felkor might do to her health, but she didn't linger on the thought. As always, she would do what needed to be done when the time came.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

159K 6.3K 17
Destiny is not guaranteed. It is not written. It is earned. It is lived. Jade was born to fight, to protect, and to lead. She was born of a bloodline...
10.2K 710 29
Wattpad Exclusive! Nearly beaten to death, a man wakes up in a place he does not know. Neither can he remember how he even ended up there. Waking up...
937K 37.1K 23
My name is Ruby. I'm the first born of the stronger royal bloodline. Unlike most of my family, I cannot be killed, I'm stronger than the royal family...
10 0 6
Jade is a young woman with a gift of healing, and is the Healing mage of Nosswe. Rain is the King of Nosswe and best friend to Jade. They have known...