The Monster Hero

By KyleBayan

In the land of Melromarc, the four cardinal heroes were summoned, each wielding a single weapon spear, bow, s... More

Character Bio
Ch 1: Summoned
Ch 2: Gearing Up
Ch 3: Monster
Ch 4: Lute Village
Ch 5: Preparations
Ch 6: The Wave
NOTICE
Bonus Chapter: Comin' Through
Ch 7: Duel of Heroes
Ch 8: Choice to stay
Ch 9: Gratitude and Race
Ch 10: Journey
Ch 11: Mysterious Overgrowth
Bonus Chapter: Bird Hunt
Ch 12: Curse
Ch 13: Back in The Capital
Ch 14: Trust Issues
Ch 15: Concequences of a Hero
Ch 16: A Challenger Approaches
Ch 18: Conspiracy
Ch: 19 On The Run
Ch 20: Evil in The Kingdom
Ch 21: Filolial Queen
Ch 22: Filo's Coronation
Ch 23: Team Battle
Ch 24: The Church Attacks
Ch 25: Light and Darkness
NOTICE

Ch 17: Power

540 20 4
By KyleBayan

3RD PERSON POV

After Naofumi defeated the soul eater, another one appeared, but it was killed by a mysterious woman who introduced herself as Glass.

The entire group was paralyzed by an overwhelming pressure after witnessing her power.

Naofumi and Ryuji used their analysis skill to check Glass' level but could not determine how strong she was.

Glass: Why aren't you attacking, hero Naofumi? Why not send those servants at me first?

Ren: Servants!?

Itsuki: what the hell!?

Motoyasu: Did you just call us Naofumi's servants!?

Glass' words angered the other heroes and their parties and moved to surround her.

Ren: "Meteor Slash"!

Itsuki: "Meteor Shoot"!

Motoyasu: "Meteor Thrust"!

All three heroes unleashed their strongest attack on Glass, creating a burst of light on impact.

As the light died down, everyone was shocked that Glass was unharmed.

Glass: Is that all you have?

Glass opened her fans and began glowing.

Glass: zero stance rondo, reverse four seasons!

Glass began launching waves of energy. 

Naofumi protected his team from the attack, but the other heroes were blown away.

Glass: As I said, mere servants

Ryuji: Naofumi!

Ryuji tossed some potions to Naofumi, replenishing his HP and mana.

Glass: I hope whoever is next could prove to be more entertaining

Ryuji switched to his sword and shield and got into a battle stance.

Ryuji: Sorry to disappoint, but this isn't a show. Raphtalia!

Raphtalia: Right!

Ryuji and Raphtalia charged at Glass.

Naofumi: "Shield Prison"!

Nafumi tried to restrain Glass, but she immediately broke free, and Ryuji and Raphtalia already surrounded her.

They tried to land a strike on Glass, but their opponent deflected their attacks.

Filo and Face Paint rushed in, but Glass smacked the two monsters away.

Raphtalia attacked Glass again, but her attack was stopped by Glass' fan.

Glass flicked her wrist and destroyed Raphtalia's sword.

Glass swung her fan to hit Raphtalia, but Akashiro fireballs distracted her, giving Raphtalia time to get away.

Filo: "High Quick"!

Filo zipped toward Glass and threw a barrage of kicks.

Glass deflected all of the kicks and then smacked Filo, sending her crashing into Akashiro.

Naofumi: "Kestodon Shield"!

Glass: So you're making your move?

Raphtalia: "Fast Light"!

Raphtalia used a spell, creating a blinding light that disoriented Glass.

Naofumi ran towards Glass while Ryuji started running up the ship's mast.

Naofumi: "Shield bash"!

Naofumi delivered an uppercut, sending Glass up towards Ryuji.

Ryuji: "Switch"! "Crush Slash"!

Riuji leaped away from the pole, switching to his great sword before slamming Glass into the ship using gravity and his strength.

The two fell to the ship, creating a cloud of dust.

Naofumi: Did that do it?

Ryuji suddenly came flying out of the dust and crashed into the mast.

Glass: That was admirable, but it's not enough

Naofumi: Ryuji, you okay?!

Ryuji held out a handle and a broken blade.

Ryuji: What do you think!? She smashed my sword!

Glass: Why don't you use that flaming shield? Well, if you're not going to use it, then I'll just have to force you

Glass began glowing, and Naofumi and Ryuji immediately realized what was coming.

Naofumi: Get behind me!!

Ryuji: Akashiro, get away!!

Everyone immediately got behind Naofumi, except Akashiro, who flew to safety.

Naofumi: "Shield Prison"!!

Glass: zero stance rondo, reverse four seasons!

Glass launched another powerful spell, but Naofumi covered his party in his shield in time.

Naofumi deactivated the shield prison and glared at Glass.

Naofumi: You want my wrath shield? fine! RAAAAAAHHHH!!!

Naofumi reactivated his wrath shield, causing his armor to morph.

Despite Naofumi successfully maintaining control, Filo immediately loses control.

Filo: GRAAAAAA!!

Filo charged at Glass to deliver a kick.

Glass deflected Filo's talons and smacked her so hard that Filo smashed through the ship straight to the ground.

Glass: Oh my... it seems that I overdid it. Shall we change battlefields?

Glass leaped into the hole.

Raphtali: Mr Ryuji! Master Naofumi! Are we going too?

Naofumi: Not like we have a choice

Ryuji switched to his sword and shield and called Face paint back to take them to the ground to face Glass.

Once on the ground, they saw Filo unconscious nearby.

Raphtalia: Filo!

Raphtalia tries to check on Filo, but Naofumi stops her.

Naofumi: Don't go near her! 

Raphtalia: w-what, why!?

Naofumi: she could go on a rampage just like I almost did... we have to settle this now

Glass: well said

Glass launched magic projectiles.

Naofumi blocked it and fire bursts from his shield, hitting Glass head on but it was ineffective.

Glass: you can do better than that

Ryuji charged at Glass.

Ryuji: "Hunter Slash"!

Ryuji swung his sword as fast as he could but Glass parried all of his strikes.

Glass: too slow

Glass shattered Ryuji's sword then struck him in the gut and sent him flying towards the mountain.

Naofumi: Ryuji!!

Glass: that was disappointing. I assumed that you were at least stronger than the minions

Purple light formed in the shape of a blade at Glass' fan.

Glass points at Ryuji and Naofumi immediately rushes to protect him.

Glass: rupture stance rondo, tortoiseshell cracker

Glass fired a purple beam at Ryuji.

Naofumi was able to arrive in time to block the attack, however, Glass' spell pierced through his defense.

Naofumi: (her attack just penetrated my shield's defense!?)

Glass: interesting... even that isn't enough to bring you down. if nothing else your defense lives up to your title, hero. Still though... it seems that those flames of yours will only activate when attacked

Naofumi: Ryuji I'm running out of tricks to pull, Do any ideas?

Ryuji closed his eyes and began racking his brain when suddenly words appeared in his vision and his weapon started to glow brighter.

Ryuji: we use our strongest attack

Naofumi eyes Ryuji's weapon and then faces Glass.

Naofumi: Got it

Glass: what's this? If you have another trick then show me

Naofumi: "Shield Prison"!

Naofumi trapped Glass in his skill and then started chanting the spell for the "Iron Maiden".

Ryuji: "Summon"! Tigrex!

Avalanche appeared next to Ryuji.

Ryuji: let's go Avalanche

Avalanche: *Roar*

Ryuji got on Avalanche and began Scaling up the mountain.

Ryuji: As we claw our path the earth shall tremble, as our voice echoes like an eruption and dread fills the land...

Once Naofumi finished his spell, Glass broke free.

Glass: pity. it's even less potent than I imagined it to be

She noticed the light from Ryuji's weapon was now coming from the peak of the mountain.

Avalanche started Running down the mountain as energy from Ryuji's weapon poured into its claws.

Ryuji: ...as the gods grant our kinship absolute power, to annihilate those who stand in our way! 

Avalanche leaped into the air, falling straight towards Glass.

Ryuji/Avalanche: ROCK SMASH!!/*ROAR* 

Avalanche thrust its claw to strike Glass.

Glass Blocked the attack with her fans but the impact of the strike was so strong, she was brought to her knees and a massive crater was formed.

Glass was shocked by the power of the attack and was starting to regret underestimating Ryuji.

Glass barely managed to redirect the attack, but got blown away by the impact of Avalanche's claws which caused a massive shockwave.

The attack that shook the land and split the ground.

Naofumi quickly changed to his Gravios shield and protected Raphtalia and Filo from the shockwave.

When the dust settled and everyone readied to continue, the flying ship began descending and crashed into the mountain.

A red timer suddenly appeared in their vision, counting down to zero.

Glass: it seems like our time is up. I have nothing against any of you... Until next time

Glass leaped into the air then vanished in a golden light.

The moment Glass disappeared, the wave also dissipated.

RYUJI POV

After we somehow fended off the Glass woman, Naofumi and I went to harvest parts from the soul eater and treated the others.

The next day when the other heroes left with their party the knights finally showed up just when we were handing out food.

Captain: Shield hero!! How dare you take some of my knights!!?

Naofumi: Took you long enough to get here. The wave is already over and your knights are all you care about?

Ake quickly tried to diffuse the situation, the knight captain looked at both me and Naofumi.

Captain: tsk. you two are to come with me to the capital at once!

Naofumi: *annoyed* Huh!?

Ryuji: what for?

Captain: his majesty wishes to speak with you

Naofumi: no way

Ake: Sir shield, I know I have no right to tell you, but please go with the captain

I thought that since we (Naofumi) pretty much defeated the wave boss, the king has no way to make Naofumi the villain and he could get paid in full.

After some convincing, Naofumi reluctantly agreed.

Once we arrived at the castle a mage held a crystal ball, showing the highlights of the boss battle (specifically Naofumi using the "Iron Maiden" spell and me using "Rock Smash").

Aultcray: I saw what happened through the crystal ball. you both did well to quell the wave and fend off that mysterious woman

Naofumi: *sarcasm* (wow, don't be grateful or anything) 

Aultcray: I have a question for you heroes. I want to know exactly how you both attain those incredible power

Naofumi/Ryuji: huh?

Aultcray: it is your duty as heroes to share this information, so spit it out and don't even think about lying!

I noticed that Naofumi was making an evil face.

Naofumi: if you wanna know so badly then kneel

The king and the knights in the room were baffled by what Naofumi said.

Naofumi: you see, where Ryuji and I come from. When someone asks for something, they usually grovel before someone who has what they need

I made a deadpan expression after Naofumi taunting the king.

Ryuji: (That is technically true, I guess. but it's usually if they're really desperate)

Naofumi continued to taunt the king until he had enough.

Aultcray: you insolent cur!!

Many of the knights surrounded and pointed their swords at us.

Naofumi: as things stand now, if I wanted I could kill you all right here and walk straight out the door

Aultcray: *furious* you're bluffing and you know it!

Naofumi changed to his Chimera Viper Shield and three snakes came out of it.

Naofumi: if anyone wants to fight me then come on. just to remind you I killed the wave's boss 

Tensions began rising and the knights began to hesitate.

Ryuji: okay let's all chill out for a second. First of all, your highness. I noticed how much shit Naofumi had to go through so I don't think he's willing to tell you, Im sure as hell am not gonna force him. but if you're curious about how I got that power I don't mind telling you. As long as these guys stopped pointing their swords at us

The king gestured for the knights to stand down which they followed.

He then sat down on his throne, still furious at Naofumi.

Aultcray: then spit it out!

Ryuji: (Rude!) To tell you the truth, I honestly don't

Aultcray: YOU DON'T KNOW!!?

Ryuji: you said it yourself when I was summoned here with the others. My weapon has never been seen in your history, so if you have no clue what it can do then I don't know. I've been figuring out this thing works since day one and because I'm a vassal hero and not a cardinal hero like the others, whatever I have may not work with them

Aultcray: very well. I shall accept your explanation for now. Shield hero, once again I command you to tell your secret!!

Naofumi: I'll do it if you grovel and beg for it

Aultcray: What!?

Naofumi: I'm willing to cooperate only until the waves are gone, then I'm going back home. so don't think of calling me again

Naofumi and I left the throne room.

As we headed back to the others, a walked passed us and struck up a conversation.

Woman: you did well this time, i daresay. heroes, i daresay 

Naofumi: Huh!?

Ryuji: (daresay?)

Woman: the efforts you both made have become impossible for anyone to ignore... including powers who don't take too kindly of the shield

The women brought out a pendant of the Three Heroes Church.

Woman: virtuous on the surface, conniving and conspiring behind the scenes... please exercise the utmost caution going forward, I daresay

The Woman gave me the pendant and walked away.

Naofumi: do you have any idea what she's saying?

Ryuji: I think was she warning us about the three Heroes church

Naofumi: whatever it was about, we should get you and Raphtalia new equipment

Ryuji: that's true

After meeting up with Raphtalia and Filo, we made our way to Erhard's shop to get new stuff.

Erhard: don't worry, I was already working on the stronger ones. it should be ready in a day or so. Anyway what are you guys gonna do about class upgrades, it unlikely they'll let you do it here

Naofumi: we were planning to go to Siltvelt or Shieldfreeden

Erhard: I figure you guys would go there, but I'd suggest going to Shieldfreeden

Naofumi: interesting. that's what Beloukas recommended me to go

Ryuji: I actually heard about that from Ake. he said it's a country for demi-humans, and from what I heard, they can be very extreme about demi-human supremacy

Erhard: yeah, but since the shield hero is here they might go easy on humans associated with him

Filo: are we going on a trip?

Naofumi: *nod* mm-hmm

Filo: yay!

Erhard: Normally it would take four weeks, but I have a little something to help you guys go there much faster

Naofumi: sounds good

Raphtalia: Thank you so much

The next day, we went back to Erhard's show and I finally got new gear along with a few extra stuff Erhard threw in.

After packing the stuff that we needed, we left the capital and made our way east to Shieldfreeden.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 330 76
On Alpha, an earth-like planet, life has developed. I am a wyvern born in a Jurassic world but very colourful. Survival is difficult, especially when...
19.5K 276 41
When two gamers were chosen to change the course of different worlds to escape the boredom of reality, they go on a crazy adventure through the multi...
19.9K 231 34
Sword. Bow. Spear. Shield. Individuals from a faraway land are summoned to a mystical world to wield these legendary Cardinal Weapons to save the wor...
6.2K 158 16
Toshiro Kujou, an young American, is summoned into another world to save it from monsters and stuff. He already disliked the king and the Bow and Spe...