to you, 2000 days ago

By CitrusMintTea

a chance meeting--a coincidental conversation--and an unforeseen rivalry--was it all fate, or was there someo... More

synopsis
orchestra lingo guide
1
2
3
4
5
6
8
9
10
11
12
13
14

7

4 0 0
By CitrusMintTea

^^ pov vivian in the middle of rehearsal today 

FUN FACT GUYS 7 IS MY FAV NUMBER SO ENJOY THE 7TH CHAPTER BESTIES<33

*** 

The dial on their stovetop made a soft click as she turned it, flames growing on the stove adjacent to it. Callum's elder sister began reheating their leftover dumplings from last night for dinner.

Dinners in the Forger family were always a chaotic, unorganized mess, as everyone seemed to have their own agenda for their last meal of the day. An uncoordinated, yet beautiful mess as the aroma of different foods mingled in their kitchen air.

His mom speared a piece of lettuce with her fork, thoroughly enjoying her pasta salad for dinner. "So, how's school going, Callum?"

Across her, her son sat with a generous helping of lasagna on his plate, courtesy from his dad, who busied himself with fixing his own dinner.

He found it ironic that his parents were the epitome of polar opposites. His mother was Chinese, and grew up there for most of her childhood before immigrating here; she had a long held distaste for cooking. I mean, why spend hours preparing a dish when you're going to eat it within five minutes? It just didn't add up.

His father, on the other hand, grew up in America his whole life and was a natural foodie. Growing up in a loosely monitored family with little to no expectations, it was easy for him to head to culinary school and work in restaurants for several years.

Callum picked up his fork and took a piece of his lasagna. He gave the same response every day: "Good. School was good."

His mom, on the other hand, was unsatisfied with his vague response. "What about orchestra? How'd your auditions go?"

Callum felt his dinner turn sour in his mouth, recalling the new seating arrangement. He never told anyone that he applied as assistant section leader, but he never got the position. Honestly, he was fully convinced that their orchestra teacher didn't like him.

"It's alright," he said, resuming his chewing. While his physical traits were a carbon copy of his mom, his personality was just like his dad. His food definitely needed more parmesan cheese.

"I didn't get first or second chair," he reluctantly admitted, focusing his eyes on his dinner to avoid his parent's eyes.

His mom paused, her lips pressed firmly together in sympathy. "I'm sorry, dear. Is there a chance that your teacher might change it?"

Of course, his parent's hardly understood how orchestra worked, let alone how to play an instrument. But, they were supportive of his efforts to become a musician, and that was all he needed.

Callum shook his head. "Probably not. I mean, there is a small chance..."

"There's a chance to what?" his dad said, poking his head in their conversation.

Callum shook his head again. "Never mind."

"No, tell me, it's okay," his mother urged, her own dinner forgotten now in concern.

"The concert arrangement isn't entirely finalized," he explained, meeting her gaze. "There might be a slim chance that our section leader might not play the solo, and I could take his place as an alternate."

His dad took the seat next to him, enjoying his soup while appearing to be in deep thought.

"Isn't the director of the other music program going to be there? Mr. Quentin?" his mother asked, returning to her dinner.

Callum nodded. After junior high, he planned to go to a private high school that specializes in advanced music programs. However, the entrance qualifications for that program were based on recommendation only.

"If Mr. Quentin saw me play the solo..." he started. "He might actually consider giving me a recommendation into the program."

"Bingo," his sister added, setting a plate of hot dumplings on the table. "He's the director. His word would be considered law there."

"And, you could even sneak in a few words after the concert with him," his dad pointed out. "You know, butter him up, maybe even crack a joke to get in his good graces?"

Callum chuckled, relief settling in. "It's a plan then. I need to do everything I can to make sure I steal that chance."

His future depended on it.

***

"Did you actually bring the music book this time?" Juliette asked, her voice dripping with sarcasm.

"I'm a responsible student. Of course I did," he said triumphantly. While Callum usually played it off as the aloof, casual student that didn't care about music, it worked in his favor as most people didn't consider him as a threat.

Well, everyone except Juliette, who didn't seem to buy his careless facade.

"Change of plans, everyone!" their teacher announced, while rapidly flipping through her binder. Strands of hair escaped from her low ponytail, appearing slightly frazzled today. "We'll jump right into rehearsing October."

Callum huffed, tucking the method book inside his backpack. His stand partner opened her own binder and began perusing the music, familiarizing herself with the key signature. Granted, this piece had multiple key changes and accidentals written in, but it was mostly between the key of D major or B flat major.

Mrs. Moon raised her arms, "from the beginning," she said, waving her baton in a 5/4 pattern to count them off.

Juliette's eyes were trained on the music, following their place in the music. October began with a beautiful viola solo, before the rest of the orchestra came cascading into a crescendo together. It was about halfway down the page that they had to switch into B flat key.

Obviously, they were still a little rough with this piece, needing to get used to the time signature changes as well.

Juliette mentally counted the rests in her head. One, two, play, four. One, two, three, play, and slur to one.

She was so absorbed in the rhythm she hadn't noticed the accidental written in, a clear sharp sign written in when she had so loudly played F natural. She winced, adjusting her finger, but the damage had already been done. Their section had the melody, so naturally, their section was louder than the others.

To make matters worse, she heard someone behind her continue to play in their momentary rest.

That was her last straw--Mrs. Moon stopped them about halfway through the piece.

"Cellos! That was an F sharp in measure 54!" Mrs. Moon announced, a twinge of frustration evident in her voice.

Juliette bit the inside of her cheek, disappointed with her silly mistake.

"Who played F sharp?" their teacher asked, her eyes scanning the cello section.

Juliette averted her eyes in shame. She was about to admit to her mistake when Callum raised his hand.

"I did," he stated.

Juliette's eyes widened, turning to him. What in the world?

"Circle it, mark it in blood, sacrifice a chicken, I don't care," Mrs. Moon addressed the class, and Callum, in particular. "We cannot afford missing accidentals in a concert."

"I want you to play measures 53 to 55 by yourself," the teacher told Callum.

Juliette felt a stab of regret, realizing that he was covering for her own mistake, and that now he would be publicly chided for it.

Without retaliation, he played a few measures, and with perfect intonation and rhythm. Mrs. Moon nodded in satisfaction, and turned back to the rest of the class.

"I'm sorry you got in trouble because of me," she whispered.

Callum appeared completely unaffected. "It's okay," he said, rubbing the back of his neck. "I actually also played F natural--so that makes the two of us."

Her lips parted in surprise, not realizing that he made the same error. After that near-traumatizing incident, she made sure to highlight key changes and courtesy accidentals throughout her music.

At some point, the piece switched into divisi, where one stand played the top notes and their stand partner played the bottom notes. Of course, Eric Whitacre seemed to love writing in accidentals, and they were moving far too fast that her fingers couldn't keep up.

Mrs. Moon obviously sensed their struggle and stopped, asking the top divisi to play their notes by themselves.

"Let's make sure everyone is playing the right notes," she explained.

Callum leaned back in his seat, grateful for the momentary break. Juliette, on the other hand, took up her bow and began to play with Josh and Quinn, who also had the top divisi in their section.

Three people playing by themselves in a classroom filled with over 30 people is more daunting than it should be. Juliette's nervousness caused her to miscount, holding the half note longer than she should have.

Apparently, Callum had been following her part in the music, as following her mistake he said: "is that your best? No wonder you're always in third chair."

She grit her teeth, making a point to use vibrato on the whole notes. "Bold words for the one sitting in fourth chair," she whispered back.

He didn't say anything in response, until a few measures later he spoke again. "Your bowing is off. Start with a down bow so that you can do an up bow by the next measure."

Juliette rolled her eyes, adjusting her bow accordingly. One moment he was a decent person, and the next he was criticizing each mistake of hers.

They were definitely going to be lectured for talking in rehearsal again. Mrs. Moon rested her arms, then asked for the bottom divisi to start playing their part.

Juliette slumped back in her seat, glad that the worst part was over. Her stand partner picked up his bow and began to play. Just as he did, she followed his part in the music.

Naturally, Callum was better at counting rhythms than her, and often kept her in line with the tempo.

"You're off-tempo today," she said, realizing that he didn't hold the dotted quarter note long enough.

He remained silent, but there was a slight shift in his bowing to make up for his rushing.

Surprisingly, he did pretty well, and Juliette had nothing to comment on his playing yet.

It was until he got towards the bottom part of the music that she said.

"That's an accidental, by the way."

"You're an accidental," he huffed, adjusting his open G to G sharp, and praying that no one else noticed.

Her jaw dropped, but she decided against biting out another retort, for fear of getting called out by the teacher. When Mrs. Moon was satisfied with their intonation, she cut them off, and then moved to the opposite side of the room, wanting to hear the first violinists.

"What is your problem?" Juliette bit out.

Callum seemed unfazed, inspecting his nails while leaning back in his seat. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Do you have to point out every mistake I make?"

"Well, it's the only way that I can keep you on your toes, Desmond."

"For what? It's not like we have another audition until January."

"Did you forget? Concert arrangements have yet to be finalized," he pointed out, turning his head towards her to meet her eyes. "That includes soloist assignments."

Juliette scoffed. "You're putting up with this whole challenge just for the slimmest chance of playing the solo? God, Forger, you must be so desperate."

He felt his fingers curl around his bow, forming a loose fist. He felt anger curling inside of him, but a part of him knew that she was precisely correct.

"I think you're confusing desperation with ambition."

She tilted her head. "You think I care? Cute."

"Careful, Desmond, or I might just steal the October solo from you," he said, leaning forward. The action caught her off-guard, Juliette noticing, for the first time, the slight curve of his eyelids above his dark eyes, creating a unique eye shape that she had never seen before.

He seemed to notice that she was staring, and Callum tilted his head a fraction to the right. "Well?"

The corner of her mouth twitched upward. "I seriously doubt that, Forger. You lost our last bet."

"I'd gladly take on any challenge," he replied without hesitation, extending a hand.

Juliette met his hand with a firm shake. 

***

aaand so it begins !

OK GN GUYS IVE STAYED UP WAY TOO LATE TO WRITE THIS FJSDK

(word count: 2027)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.5K 63 18
HSM What If AU What if Gabriella didn't forgive Troy when he showed up at her balcony? How will Troy make it up to Gabriella? What will happen at th...
11.8K 367 14
They've lived together; they've lived apart. Turns out you can miss someone terribly, even if they're just across the room. * * a/n: Most of the st...
51.3K 993 27
"I hate you Jace Lockheart." "Don't worry sweetheart. I hate you more." ---- BOOK ONE IN THE LOVER SERIES: Jace Lockheart met Juliana Walker on that...
5.2K 84 8
MISTER DEMI X M! READER 𓏲𝄢 Being a teacher is difficult, and you realize that about after three months of being on the job. But luckily, you picke...