I Am Guilty

By itsworthreading

Mathur family is well respected and belongs to an elite class. They have everything a happy family could ask... More

Description
1. Denial
2. The Phone Call
3. Questions
4. Stunt
5. Abduction
7. Threat
8. Refusal
9. Proven Guilty
10. Realization
11. Friend
12. Mistake
13. His Princess
14. Wants And Needs
15. Some Half-truths
16. Expectations
17. Face Off
18. Visitor
19. Impatient
20. That Dreadful Night
21. Illusion
22. Attack
23. Blurting The Truth
24. Unveiled
25. Yes, I Am Guilty
26. Dilemma
27. Genius
28. Manipulative
29. Truth and Lies
30. Moments
31. Guilty Again
32. Trying To Trust
33. Accusations
34. Guest?
35. Laid Back Life

6. The Scam Of Marriage

348 63 21
By itsworthreading

"Looks like she really heard your name." Kunal commented as Arjun effortlessly placed his glass on the coffee table while he held Veena's limp body secured with one arm around her.

"And... Maybe, much more than just the name." Kunal could not stop the chuckles.

Arjun gave him a stink eye.
"Shut up  Kunal."

Without further arguments, Arjun picked up the now limp body and walked towards the bedroom. He gently placed her on the bed and covered her with the duvet. He looked back at his friend standing at the door frame.

"What now?" Kunal asked, pushing his hands in his pockets.

Arjun sighed as he sat on the foot of the bed. He turned back to look at her and then looked at his friend.
"Now what? We keep her here for two days and then let her go."

"And you think you will be able to stop her from marrying that scumbag, once you let her go?" Kunal asked.

Arjun went silent for a moment.
"Is she fine? Do you think we should call for a doctor?"

Kunal checked her and confirmed that she was fine. Next moment, Kunal dragged Arjun out of the room to have a detailed discussion.

"You did not answer me, Arjun." He pestered.

Arjun closed his eyes briefly and rubbed his forehead.
"I don't know, Kunal. You know, it was not impulsive. We had no other choice. I don't know what happens next."

"Tell her why you don't want her to marry." Kunal suggested.

"And she will believe me. She collapsed just hearing my name. Why would she believe a murderer?"

"You are not left with any choice, Arjun. Until she is available, he will keep on chasing her." Kunal put down his point.

Arjun was at loss of words.

"Listen, keeping her here for two days will do no good. We can't decide for her. And what are you going to tell her? It's not like you can marry her and save her from life long pain." Kunal said, trying to get a reaction from Arjun.

Arjun was flabbergasted as he snapped his eyes towards Kunal.

"Actually, you know what? I will marry her."

"What? Arjun? Are you crazy?" Kunal was taken aback.

"Like not literally, just until the chaos subsides. Once he is thrown out of her life, I will let her go too. This way, he will stay away from her, and she will be safe. I will get some time to talk to her and explain her the situation." Arjun explained.

"This is a bad idea, Arjun. Looks like you forgot the consequences." Kunal warned him.

Arjun raked his fingers in his hair in exasperation.
"Its already too late to think about the outcome. We need to handle the situation at hand. Tell me if you have a better option."

Kunal groaned.

Arjun looked at his friend thoughtfully.
"You can walk away any moment, Kunal. I need to do this for the family I left behind. I cannot let that man near the innocent girl. She means a lot to Samrat."

Kunal looked at him with blazing eyes.
"This same Samrat hates you, Arjun."

"But I don't." Arjun retorted.

Kunal sighed in defeat.
"Is this final?"

Arjun held his gaze for a moment.
"Do you think there is a better option?"

"Fine, as you say. What do you want me to do now?" Kunal commented in defeat.

"I guess, arrange for a priest."

The priest was bribed with a hefty amount and he gave a list of necessary items that needed to perform the rituals of a marriage. He was ordered to keep the rituals to the bare minimum.
They waited till Veena groaned in her sleep. She opened her eyes to unfamiliar surroundings and was shocked to see the arrangements of a wedding. She tried to protest, but had to give in when Arjun threw one threatening glance at her.
She had cried bitterly and helplessly while the priest chanted the Holy mantras. Unwillingly she walked around the fire behind Arjun and had cursed her fate when he filled her hair partition with vermilion. She was forced to exchange the flower garlands with Arjun and the priest left with the amount playing in his hands.

She broke down again, hiding her face behind her palms and Arjun looked at his friend and nodded discreetly.

"I will take you home." Arjun told her and she looked up at him, not believing him.

She was rooted to her spot and her brain refused to cooperate.

Arjun's eyes softened.
"You can trust me once. I will really take you home."

She wiped her eyes and nodded. She held the flower garland in her neck and was about to take it off when his dangerous voice boomed.
"Don't you dare to take it off, Veena."

She looked up at him startled and took a step back in fear.
"I want the world to know that you are no longer available. Follow me."

She looked at the other man, whose name she did not know and walked away behind Arjun, silently.

Arjun opened the passenger door for her to get in. She was too drained emotionally to protest. She just had a hope that she would be able to see her family and get some help.
Arjun settled behind the wheel and his hands shook for a moment. His heart was filled with fear momentarily, before he reminded himself of why he did whatever it was. He stoned his heart and ignited the engine.

Veena had her eyes clouded with tears. Her mind was fogged with questions and she wanted this all to be just a dream. Arjun on the other hand, was filled with fear. He knew he was not ready to face the hatred in his family's eyes.
The car stopped at the entrance of Mathur Residence. Veena looked at him and he was looking at the wide doors. She pushed opened the door of the car and stepped out. He gave her a  head start of a minute, before following her, where he was not allowed.

Veena entered the house and found the lights of living room still on. Fresh tears found their way when she saw the entire Shukla, Mathur and Khanna family, worried for her.

"Mom!" She managed a shaky whisper.

Everyone looked at her and they realised something with a start. While she threw herself in her mother's safe embrace, Sahil's eyes blazed with fury. Like others he too had noticed the vermilion and the garland in her neck. It did not take him another moment to put two and two together.

"Veena!" The vehemence in his voice was not unnoticed.
While everyone else was still in the state of shock, he had the audacity to pull her away harshly and raise a hand to hit her.

Veena shrunk back and closed her eyes on instinct to avoid the slap that never reached her. She was startled when a loud thud was heard. She opened her eyes with a gasp to realize that Sahil was pushed back and had fallen to the ground, while Samrat stood protectively in front of her.

"How dare you do that to my sister?" Samrat seethed in anger.

"You are taking that tone to me? Did you just miss what she did? She cheated on me, Samrat." Sahil growled in anger.

"From where I see, she is safely back at the moment. Let her tell her side of the story." Samrat retorted.

Sahil looked at the door and furrowed his eyebrows. He lowly gasped as he tried to recognize the man standing at the doorstep with garland in his neck. Samrat and others followed his gaze to notice the same thing. Veena looked back and realized that the reason for her misery was standing there proudly, without remorse.
She hugged Samrat and the latter was taken aback.

"He married me forcefully, Samrat. Look what he has done to me." She sobbed harder and everyone went numb.

"Arjun?" Samrat whispered with shock laced voice.
He did not expect his cousin to stand at his doorstep after ten long years.

Arjun saw the way Samrat stood for Veena and he found his acts justified. No girl deserved to be with a man like Sahil who could not think twice before raising hand, and here he was talking about a girl who was important to his cousin.

Arjun was not surprised when a sharp slap landed on his cheek. He closed his eyes to suppress the pain as his face was jerked to his right. He did not dare look up and was very well aware of the touch. His father had just started. The worst was yet to come. He sighed when he found the hurried footsteps running away upstairs. He knew, his sister would hate his existence forever. Sahil and his family left without another word. Sahil knew, Veena was out of his league now.

--------------------------------------

Another chapter up.

Next chapter after 30 comments.

Vote and comment.

Love.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

776K 47.1K 49
𝐈𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐓𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐰𝐞𝐛𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐬, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐩𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐮𝐢𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐓𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐬, 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐰𝐞𝐚𝐯𝐞𝐬 𝐢𝐭𝐬 𝐦𝐞𝐬𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐳𝐢𝐧𝐠 �...
31.2K 674 12
it's a loveable college Love story of a college girl ( Manvi) and a police officer Raghav. Manvi was kind and sweet . She is a bubbly girl, who is...
30.6K 1.6K 36
Police x cyber! As unknown murders keeps happening in Chennai an aspiring ACP is appointed to investigate the new case ... as he starts to investig...
158K 12.8K 40
#1 police out of 17.7k Stories #9 lovelife out of 11.6K stories #2 crimefiction out of 3.97k stories #20 policeofficer out of 1.57K stories #5 romant...