Home Sweet Girl

By SleepingBeau_

Will there ever be a home as sweet as she? Homelessness is all Maryanne knows. Yet, sheltered by her fairly o... More

Author's Note
Chapter | One
Chapter | Two
Chapter | Three
Chapter | Four
Chapter | Five
Chapter | Six
Chapter | Seven
Chapter | Eight
Chapter | Nine
Chapter | Ten
Chapter | Eleven
Chapter | Twelve
Chapter | Thirteen
Chapter | Fourteen
Chapter | Fifteen
Chapter | Sixteen
Chapter | Seventeen
Chapter | Eighteen
Chapter | Nineteen
Chapter | Twenty
Chapter | Twenty one
Chapter | Twenty two
Chapter | Twenty three
Chapter | Twenty four
Chapter | Twenty five
Chapter | Twenty six
Chapter | Twenty seven
Chapter | Twenty eight
Chapter | Twenty nine
Chapter | Thirty
Chapter | Thirty one
Chapter | Thirty three
What is going on?
Chapter | Thirty four
Chapter | Thirty five
Chapter | Thirty six
Chapter | Thirty seven
Chapter | Thirty eight

Chapter | Thirty two

736 38 11
By SleepingBeau_

An interesting week has gone by and Dario and Angeline are working on their roles as caregivers while helping Mary to become more in-tuned with her little space. It's a work in progress. They are moderately incorporating the 'small things' to her daily life and starting to grow that list of needs, wants and limits because neither them or her know what her little side is to it's full extent. Moreover, somewhat agreeing to let the girl strive at her 'own' pace is significantly improving her relationship with both of them as her caregiver and foster parents. Mary is comfortable and her enthusiastic self shines more each day. Whereas, she's on both sides of the fence when it comes to being little.

Meanwhile, Dario is taking Mary to his law firm for the very first time. Angeline had appointments and other personal duties to take care of and didn't want Mary to suffer at the hands of boredom. Not that being with Dario would be any better, She was hoping it's much more interesting for her to see what he does. It was a stretch to have her around a lot of people. But she wouldn't be appointed to interact with them.

"I have your tablet, workbook and I packed you a small lunch. Was there anything else you wanted to bring?" She pry. The woman holds out the strawberry printed backpack for the girl. It is a replacement for the old one that she eventually trashed. She fell in love with it The moment she picked it out—so much that she was convinced that it did smell like strawberries.

The girl shakes her head and says,"No".

"You'll be leaving soon. So be a good girl for Dario," Angeline gushes over her attire. The girl insisted that she wear something suitable for the office. So Angeline selected A pink polo shirt and long khaki pants and her boat shoes for her. She obviously is wearing the necklaces that she cherishes and wears conservatively. Even though the gold chain is old and has lost its goldness. She has on the bracelet that Angeline made for her. In return, Mary finally made her one also. It's red and green and spells out 'Angel' because Mary didn't know how to spell her full name. To say, Angeline was over the moon and has vowed to wear it religiously.

"I'm always good," she justifies.

"I know, my baby. You're such a sweet girl," She squish her face and pecks kisses on her cheek. A little laugh slips from the girl. "There's that laugh I love so much". Mary secretly loves the attention and Angeline knows it.

"Mo-Angeline..." she hasn't called Angeline mommy again. Still, Angeline, even Dario uses the title often to get her used to it without feeling ashamed. And Mary is really close to doing it.

"I know you're a big girl, but there's no shame in getting a kiss from mommy," Angeline claim. "See you later, sweetheart" she says softly with a last kiss on the forehead.

"See ya later".

"Ready. Bambina?" Dario has a board meeting with the executive committee and needed to be there early. The man is wearing his truffle brown suit. His hair is shiny making his loose curl pattern pop with a fresh tape line and clean cut facial hair. He was ready to start the day as the meeting's show runner.

"I can walk, Dario, " she says when he tries to pick her up. It wasn't a huge rejection. Dario is understanding. Although, he wants to encourage her little side he is less demanding than Angeline is. He isn't even begging for her to call him dad or daddy. The girl wasn't trying to avoid being little in front of his associates because It wouldn't matter anyway. Based on her appearance, she can easily get away with it. In general, She wasn't feeling little at the moment.

"Have a good day, Love. I know that you'll be in the meeting, but be sure that she eats and does some work," She pecks his lips.

"No problem. I have someone keep an eye on her, Love you," he reciprocate.

"Bye, Frenchie and Lola," Maryanne yells to the cats that are somewhere in the kitchen eating their food.

Mary look at the big glass building as Dario drives into the parking lot. He has his own personal parking spot. Dario gets out of the car first to open the door on Mary's side. He grabs her backpack and put it over his shoulder.

They enter the lobby that is nice and clean with marble floors, just like any important place. Everyone is styled in business clothes. She tenses up to security at the front in their uniform, looking stern and intimidating. Yet, they greet them with a smile. "Why are police here?" Mary ask.

"They're our security. People try to come in and want to seek revenge, making a scene or barge in for their own selfish reasons. It's for the safety of all of us," He walks up to the front desk where the receptionist greets him and takes a few candies from a bowl. It how the staff members know when he's in a preppy mood or he has something important to prepare for.

The receptionist at the desk smiles at Mary and offers her the caramel. She immediately unwrap the candy and drops it in her mouth.

"Nice backpack. Mr. Morello," one of the associates point out.

"Yeah, I want to do something new for a change. You should try it," Dario nonchalantly walk past the few people who have eyes on him and Mary, in particular.

"Are you babysitting?. Who is she?". Someone inquired.

"She's my new assistant," Dario is the type of person who likes to keep personal life filtered. He appraise those he trust and expect them to respect his wishes and leave it as it is, Not those who gossip or spread misinformation.

"Ooooh. Natalia isn't going to like that".

"I'll tell you when I'm ready," he leads her into an elevator that has music. An undirected choice that lightens the atmosphere. Mary is looking around to find out where the music is coming from. She is marveling the candy in her mouth on the way up and it makes her wiggle about—humming and smiling. Candy is one of her motivations he notes. He is amazed at how Mary quickly switched her attitude. He displays an approving smile and rubs her hair that in a half up and half down fashion. She's unpredictable.

When it opens, a few people are seen roaming. The sound of paper shuffling and quick steps are heard. There are some curious eyes, leading to smiles. Dario walked swiftly, with Mary holding his hand. There are small whispers and 'good mornings'. It's early, so the hustle and bustle of the day is eager to erupt.

Terri, his secretary, is at her desk across from his office. A young woman in her early thirties. She wears cat eye glasses to pair with her everyday professional makeup and dark brown eyes. She is an attractive woman who also happens to be happily married and she cannot say this enough for the sake of her having a reputation for being his secretary. To him she's like a little sister and to her a big brother. She sees the girl and goggles at her charming appearance.

"Good morning Mr. Morello," she says cheerfully.

"Good Morning. This is Maryanne she's going to be hanging out with me today," he clarify.

"Hello" Terri says to Maryanne. "I like your hair,"she compliments.

"Thank you. I like your glasses," Terri awes and thanks her for the returning compliment. The girl isn't shy when it comes to strangers. It normally depends on her mood and how she reads people. At the moment it's the candy that's taking affect.

"This is Terri. If you need anything she's the one you can go to" Dario explain to Mary.

"Okay," she bounce on her feet.

"Has any of the members come in yet?" Terri hands him a paper.

"Only Smith so far. The others are on their way, I'm sure. One said they will be a little late. Their daughter got sick this morning," She comment. "-and your father contacted me because he couldn't reach you. He won't be able to make it to the meeting, something about an injury".

"What?" He checks his phone "Oh shoot! I left it on do not disturb all yesterday. I hope he's alright". It was a sort of a relief for him. "Natalia says she's in traffic...this early?" He mention.

"Please inform me when the rest have arrived. I'll be in my office getting prepared".

-||-

Dario has the biggest office in the whole building. A large window so you can see the town roads. It was accents of black and purple in there. Mary remembered that was his favorite color. There is a globe with the Empire State Building on his desk and other pieces of mementos. He has dark matching seats. It is similar to the office at home, though it is staged to look the best.

"Make yourself comfortable," He set her backpack on the couch and reads from his phone "Hes going to zoom us during the meeting. I have to let everyone know," he thinks out loud.

The girl jumps on the couch, taking him by surprise. "Silly goose, did you have sugar for breakfast?"

"No," she responds.

Right, it's the candy.

"You fancy the headquarters?" Mary tilt her head and He chuckle "Do you like my office?".

"Yup! Do you have video games in here?" she hops on her feet.

"No, but we do have a room for games and fun things". The girl spins around and explore the room."Your mommy said that you have workbooks you should be practicing with. I have no doubt that you are perfecting it already".

"You don't have to call her that. I'm not little right now, " Mary tells him.

"I know," He grins. "So you think you're ready for school soon?"

"Yeah I think so. Can I use the bathroom?"

"Yes, it's the door right there".

After Mary uses the toilet, she perceives a cool soap dispenser that distributes foamy soap. She accumulates a big amount and rubs it in her hands to see how much soap can make bubbles, while she comes up with a master plan to get Dario to play with her before his important meeting.

She breaks out of the bathroom, spotting Dario with his back almost fully turned. It is the perfect moment for a sneak attack. She creeps up behind him and forcefully pushes herself against his back "Boo!" She shouts. The man turns around slowly.

"Woah!" He reacts.

"Did I scare you?" She guessed, putting on her mischievous smirk.

"A little," The man verbalize.

Was her wearing that the whole time or did he change? The man is in a blue suit with no tie—a few buttons undone on his shirt. Not only that, his tone is off and she isn't familiar with the smell of his cologne.

"Dario?" She scans his face and tilt her head. He has the same green eyes.

"Yes?" He sneer. He is acting strange. Mary finally notices that the man has no beard and his hair is slicked back, which stetches his curls.

The girl back away slowly.

"What's wrong? You look like you've just seen a ghost," the man ask the uncertain and cautious girl.

"You're not Dario".

Abruptly, Mary hears the voice of Dario returning to the room. "Can you have Josh come by my office," He's looking down at the papers he's reading. The minute he looks up, he becomes startled by what he sees, or rather who.

"Dante?" He gapes.

"In the flesh," Dante shrugs.

Terri appears at the door, "I'm sorry. He slipped past me sir".

"That's fine Terri. Thank you". she close the door behind.

"What are you doing here?" he ask, then looks at the confused girl "What's wrong, Mary?"

"Well hello. Nice to see you too," he mocks.

"Did you tell her that you were me? Seriously, That joke is getting stale".

"I couldn't help it," he shrugs "Remember that one time I almost got Angeline?" Dario narrowed his eyes at him. "Oh, Never mind. I'm sorry young one," He offers his hand. "My name is Dante, your-" he looks to Dario. Unclear of how he should address himself.

"My brother-"

"Twin brother," Dante add.

She knew Dario had a brother, unlike an identical twin.

This is mind blowing.

-|||-

"Joshua is here for you," Teri says on the speaker phone. Dario agree to send him in. Second later, Joshua barges in.

"Good morning, You ask for me boss?" Joshua and Dario developed a close friendship. They met at the gym. Dario was in his first year of managing partner. The former firm Joshua was employed by was going out of business and he was desperately seeking employment.

"Hey Dante. It's been a minute," he's notices the other individuals in the room "Oh. Hi Maryanne. You remembered me?" Maryanne nods with a tight lipped smile.

"Josh I need you to fill in for Thomas, while he's in the meeting," Dario adjust his tie.

"Yes. Certainly," Joshua beams.

"Now, all I need is for someone to look after her, so I can get stuff done-." His mumbles are loud enough for everyone to hear. Dario is trying to get Mary to leave the room because of Dante. "At this moment".

"I can watch her," Dante volunteer first.

"No," Dario says without a doubt.

"I'll do it. I can even show her around," Joshua offers. Dario has uncertainty in his mind—a finger placed under his chin. "It's no problem, I'm not busy right now".

Dario nods his head "Alright. Is that okay Mary?".

She nods

Joshua clap his hands, "Alright Mary. You ready for a tour around the place? It has lots of cool features," he gleams at her.

"Can you take me to the game room?!" Her eyes light up.

"Yes ma'am".

"Mary. I might be in a meeting before you get back, I want you to go to Terri right after and sit in my office. Angeline will be picking you up at—,".

"Two". Dante look at the girl in a peculiar way as she walks past him. The wires in his brain are connecting.

When they go off scene, Dario makes a quick announcement to Terri on the office phone. He taps the button quickly.

"Is that little Ebony?" Dante ask and Dario shushes him.

"Find someone to inform all the women on each floor to keep an eye on her. No one should leave her alone". His brother gives him a questionable expression. Because of the information Angeline she shared with him about Mary's history with men, He nor Angeline is cautious of her being around any male without a woman on site. No disrespect to Joshua.

"What was that about?" Dante ask. Dario responds by saying 'It was nothing'.

"And is that her? I can definitely see the resemblance". Dario slowly nods his head. "Really? Why do you call her Maryanne?!". His twin shushes him once more. "Quit shushing me".

"For starters you have a loud mouth and people can hear you. Second, that's the name she goes by," he bits his lip. "Why are you here?".

Dante quietly walks up to his brother and gives him an open hug. He pats his back and tells him to inhale and exhale."I love you too,"he says. "If you checked your phone. You would know that Pops pulled something in his back yesterday, trying to 'wrestle' with one of your nephews. He's recovering".

Dario glances at the device, "I got that and I will call him later. But you didn't say nothing about showing up here".

"I wanted to surprise you. Christmas was the last time we saw each other. I wasn't going to waste a first class ticket to see my brother. Aren't you happy to see me?"

"I was caught off guard. That's all. Did you come here for money or help funding your latest project?" He smite.

"I'm heartbroken" he dramatically holds a hand to his heart. "I don't need your money baby bro. I got a job at a tech company, a managerial position. I given my input on improving their marketing strategies. The company will be bigger than Adobe," Dante brags.

"Good for you!".

"Yes. You should be happy for me," smoothing his hair back.

"Let's skip to the fact that you have Ebony here. Where did you find her? Did she cry? When did you tell her the news? "Did the police arrest the kidnapper? Is he in prison? As your older brother, I demand to know," he exhales, spitting out the questions in a fast manner.

"Cool it for a minute," Dario tells his brother "It's Maryanne. Angeline found her on a business trip in Seattle, something the police couldn't do" he withdraw for a moment "She doesn't know who we are to her".

●●●

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

264K 6.9K 34
As far as streetrat, Jamie was concerned, they were 17, a teenager. And despite what their body is telling them, not a god damn puppy. After a botche...
293K 5K 17
In this world you get classified as either a Master , pet , Mommy/Daddy , Little or Neutral Leo finds out he is a Little and quickly gets kicked out...
34.7K 1.6K 29
What if ohm brings a baby in nanon's home? What if they adopt the baby? What if they become fathers before boyfriends? What if ohm has a painful pas...
873 42 19
She's been lost for 4 years and everyday that goes by the whole in there heart gets bigger and bigger. They channel there everlasting pain into there...