Home Sweet Girl

By SleepingBeau_

Will there ever be a home as sweet as she? Homelessness is all Maryanne knows. Yet, sheltered by her fairly o... More

Author's Note
Chapter | One
Chapter | Two
Chapter | Three
Chapter | Four
Chapter | Five
Chapter | Six
Chapter | Seven
Chapter | Eight
Chapter | Nine
Chapter | Ten
Chapter | Eleven
Chapter | Twelve
Chapter | Thirteen
Chapter | Fourteen
Chapter | Fifteen
Chapter | Sixteen
Chapter | Seventeen
Chapter | Eighteen
Chapter | Nineteen
Chapter | Twenty
Chapter | Twenty one
Chapter | Twenty two
Chapter | Twenty three
Chapter | Twenty four
Chapter | Twenty six
Chapter | Twenty seven
Chapter | Twenty eight
Chapter | Twenty nine
Chapter | Thirty
Chapter | Thirty one
Chapter | Thirty two
Chapter | Thirty three
What is going on?
Chapter | Thirty four
Chapter | Thirty five
Chapter | Thirty six
Chapter | Thirty seven
Chapter | Thirty eight

Chapter | Twenty five

705 33 7
By SleepingBeau_

Maryanne

The house seems a lot bigger at night with only limited lighting. I fell asleep pretty early. I dont know what time of night it it , but I woke up and felt dry sensation in my mouth creeping up. When I was sneaking into the kitchen, I overheard Angeline talking with someone on the phone."What happened? Do I need to pick him up or...Okay, get here safe, bye". She is wearing her long black satin robe. To avoid getting caught, I steadily made a U-turn back to my room. Too bad my feet likes to make a pitter-patter sound when I walk on the tile, unless she has really great hearing.

"Mary?" She call out. "What are you doing up? it's a quarter to ten". I don't even know what that means. I stopped and turned around. Her expression is considerably undisturbed.

"I-im thirsty," I stutter.

"Oh, I'll get you some water," She enter the kitchen, retreive a small glass cup and fill it up, "Here you go honey" .

"Thank you," I chug down the water and sigh with satisfaction.

"Better?" she smile smugly. I nod.

"By this time, I'm usually waiting for Dario. I got off the phone with his associate and he said that Dario ate something bad and his stomach has been running off," She describe. "He was so weak that he couldn't drive for himself".

"Did he throw up?" I asked holding the empty glass in my hands.

"I'm quite sure," she takes the cup from me. "Why don't I take you back to bed". I m not tired and I don't think I can go back to sleep after knowing that Dario isn't well.

"Can I stay up and wait for Dario to come?" I put on my soft voice and genuine smile.

"Ummm, okay. But I want in bed before midnight. I need you right as rain in the morning" Works for me. I think I'm going to use that tactic more often.

She set out medicine and prepares tea for Dario in her kitchen. By that time, Lola starts pawing at the pantry with upright ears. "Princess you ate already. It's bedtime," Angeline says, while setting the kettle on the stove top. Lola relies on meowing and rubbing her body against Angeline's leg. She sighs, "Mama has you spoiled," she mumbles. She caves and ask me to get a small treats for Lola and Frenchie.

I go in the pantry and scoop out the bite sized treats out of the white jar that is labeled 'Small Cat Treats'. Lola sits outside the door to watch me. I throw it down for her and look for Frenchie, finding her asleep on the ottoman. I inform Angeline of her state and she tells me to give the rest to Lola."No more for you missy," I say to the kitten.

Angeline examines the security footage on the screen in the kitchen. "They're here," she scurry away to the front door and I follow behind. The outdoor lamps automatically turn on to brighten up the driveway and I now can clearly see Dario slowly coming out of the car. He starts power walking like an old man,"You alright. Dar?".

He shakes is head and sprints his way into the house,"Can't talk right now".

A man appears out of the driver side in a dress shirt and tie. He looks around the same age as Dario, if not younger. Angeline addresses him as Joshua.

"It was coming out of both ends," I make out their conversation—distance away. He gives her a set of keys.

"Do you need a ride back?" She ask. I shiver when a wave of cool air hits my body.

"No, I'll call an Uber," he rubs the back of his neck and cover his mouth when he yawns.

"Okay, come inside and make youself comfortable," Angeline offers. They tread near the space I'm standing.

"Hello," he stops in front of me.

"Hi," I wave. He is the fourth person I've met so far. He seems like a nice guy.

"Josh, this is Maryanne".

"Oh, I've heard a little bit about you, I'm Joshua or Josh". I look down at his rolled up pants and he has some cool looking socks of duck wearing glasses. I wanted to compliment them, but I thought it might be awkward. We walk inside and Dario is no where in sight. We wait around before he returns with damp hair and a change of clothes. He cautiously sit on the couch.

"You should be in bed. I have tea and medicine for you," Angeline gawks at him.

"I will," Dario lays a hand over his eyes.

"You need to take the car to the cleaners and you might want to replace the seat cover," Josh advise. Dario shrugs, keeping his hand over his face.

"Was it really bad?" Angeline ask. Running her hand through Dario's hair.

"I had to keep the windows open the whole time. I thought I was going to be sick". I'm guessing that Dario pooped his pants.

"Where do you guys go?" she says across the room. She walks away to put his tea in a cup.

"The late afternoon staff wanted to go out for a late lunch...Mr. Smith picked some mediocre restaurant. I was fine until we were back at work," he catches his breath.

"Him and Mr. Smith had the fish. I did not thank god," Josh raises his hands.

"Please, Josh I don't want to hear anything about the 'f' word," Dario pleads.

"You got it boss". Angeline returns with a pill and his tea.

I stand over Dario and stare at him,"Are you okay?". Beads of sweat are on his forehead. His face turns a different hue.

"I'm okay Bambi-" he jumps up and runs to the nearest bathroom.

"It's going to be a long night," Josh tries to keep a serious demeanor. Although, I can tell he wants to laugh. The apples of his cheeks are raised.

"Come here sweetheart," Angeline calls me over and I sit next to her. She kiss my head. "It's time for bed. Okay?".

I shake my head. I need to be here for Dario he's sick,"I want to stay with Dario".

"I know you do, but he's probably going to be like this all night. I don't want him keeping you up".

"Mmph" I lay my head on her shoulder and start to rub my eyes. Then I slip my fingers in my mouth.

"Someone looks tired," Josh says. I offer him a slick side eye that causes him to snicker. Angeline brushes my cheek and I sink into my feelings even further. Why does she do this to me?

She begin to rub my back in circles "He'll be okay. I will watch him overnight and in the morning I will wake you up, so you can be with him". I don't respond. "Come," she helps me stand and I hold her hand as she leads me back to my room.

"Good night Maryanne. Don't let the bed bugs bite," he says. I really hope not because those things can spread like wildfire.

-||-

Dario is feeling better the next morning, he is regaining his strength and appetite. Angeline thought she had to take him to the hospital for severe food poisoning because he couldn't stop throwing up and had massive diarrhea. Thankfully, he survived overnight as the symptoms subsided. I was helping her tend to him. Giving him liquids and making sure he wasn't throwing up again. I like taking care of people. When I get older I want to be a nurse or a doctor.

I dash into the kitchen, where Angeline is majority of the time. She is stirring something in a pot. "I see you have a lot of energy today. Be careful, though. I don't want you to slip and fall".

"Okay. What are you making?" I ask, bouncing on my feet.

"Broth with a little bit of vegetable for Dario". I eye the piece of carrot left on the cutting board. "You can have it," she offers. I shake my head. I remember trying it last time and I spit it out. I don't like vegetables. She sighs and shakes her head in amusement.

"You wanna go take him some napkins, while I handle this? my little helper". I nod and smile. I've been helping her a lot today. I was given the title 'little helper' and I like it.

I carry the stacks of napkins to their bedroom. Dario is focused on the big screen above. Sprite and pedialyte by his beside table.

"Thanks bambina," he kisses my cheek. His facial hair is prickly on my skin. His hair is rugged and he's still in his pajamas. His third set of pajamas, I might add.

"You're welcome," I say.

"How much do I owe you?" he says. I can't tell if he's joking or not, so I take the offer.

"I don't know," I think. "One thousand dollars?"

He almost chokes on his drink. "For bringing me napkins?".

"You asked".

"Okay, you have a point. I'll give you five dollars. A thousand is a lot for a girl your age". No it's not.

I shake my head, "I want fifteen".

He leans over and says, "Ten"

"Thirty," I copy his body language.

Dario squints his eyes and bites his lip,"Twenty, and not a penny over. Final answer".

"Okay," I fold my arms.

Angeline finally shows up with a bowl, "Did the attorney get bamboozled?".

"You drive a hard bargain. I tell you what, when you get older and finish school you can work at my firm," he reaches for his wallet and pulls out a twenty dollar bill. I used to watch my dad make bargains to get what he wanted all the time.

"Okay, miss negotiator, do you want a smoothie for lunch?" Angeline asks.

"Yes, please".

Later in the day, I was supposed to be helping her prepare dinner, I got distracted by a more important task that needed my attention.

I sat on my floor in the room, playing with my stuffies. Mr. Raff and Lady are on a date. What lady doesn't know is that Mr. Raff is going to propose to her.

"Lady, we've been together for two months. That's a long time. But I want to make it forever," I make my voice deeper. The giraffe bend his knee and holds up an invisible box with a big diamond ring inside.

The bunny gasps, "Mr. Raff!".

"Will you Mary me?" he says.

She wipes her eyes and says,"Yes, totally". They hug and mash lips.

"Where did you go? my little helper," Angeline walks in during the intimate moment. I shuffle off my knees, throwing the stuffed animals into my pile collection. "I already started on without you, if that's okay. You can go back to playing".

"I-I want to make something for Dario, a card or something," I quickly change the subject.

"That's sweet, he will love that".

I decided to make him a bracelet with my kit. Angeline had free time and joined me.

"What is his favorite color?" I say lining up the colors of beads.

"He likes purple. I find it very attractive," she smiles to herself.

"Angeline, what is your favorite color?". I ask.

"Well, I have always been a fan of red for the longest time. As I'm older now it I don't think I have a favorite color. It just depends on my mood. Lately, I have been interested in sage green. But I still like red,". I can see red being her favorite. It brings out her eyes when she wears that color. Frenchie sits next to me on the floor, making her biscuits.

"Angeline, what does Piccola and bambina mean?" I give the cat a few starches on the head and listen to her purr.

"It means, little one and little girl" she simply says. Im asking because they call me that a lot.

"But I'm not a little girl".

She pushes back her hair back and lick her lips, "Its a term of endearment. In your eyes, you aren't little. To us you are young because we are older than you".

"How old are you and Dario?" She laughs, putting beads on a string.

"You're a curios one today. I'm glad you feel open to ask. Dario tuned forty last month and I'm almost thirty eight". I look widely at her. I knew they were grown adults, but I didn't think they were that old.

"You older than my dad," I state.

"Oh really?". I nod.

"I finished," I hold up the purple one for Dario.

"Me too," she shows me. "This is for you, darling". The bracelet has pink breads all around and has the name Mary spelled out in the white.

"No one has ever made me a bracelet before". I never made many friends growing because I was constantly moving from place to place. The community in grace town barley had any children around. I was the only one that stick around for so long.

"Well now you have," she put the bracelet on my wrist. I have to make her one now.

"Thank you" I smile looking down at my wrist.

"Your welcome, sweetheart".

-|||-

Then next time, I'm in the kitchen helping her set the table for dinner.

"So the menu for tonight is cheesy pasta, salad, and garlic bread. I made Dario a soup hopefully he will eat it when he wakes up. Nothing could keep that man away from his love for food".

We sit down at the kitchen nook instead of the dinning room table. That is usually set up for special occasions. Half of the time it's just me and Angeline.

"Mary about school...I was wondering what would you prefer to attend school, stay home and I can teach you, or have a teacher online?".

"Do I get to see kids, if I stay home?" I would like to hang out with other kids my age and make a friend.

"Well, I would have to find a group, and set up dates where you can meet up," she says.

"Will I eat luches and have recess?" I stab the pasta with my fork.

"We can do that. But it will be a little different from your traditional setting".

"Can I think about it?".

"Yes, we have all next week to decide". I look at her plate and it's empty. I look at mine and it still has food on it. I push back my plate. The smoothie is still settling in my stomach. "One more bite of salad for me sweetheart, then you can have, a cookie." She points out. It's not fair that I have a smaller stomach.

"Oreos" I confirm.

"Yup, one bite,". She watches me closely as I take a pieces of lettuce, tomato and cheese and scrape it off the fork with my teeth."Proud of you," she takes my plate away. Then hands me three cookies from the jar in the pantry. I sit there, licking the icing in the middle of the cookie.

"Guess, what!" She exclaims.

"What?".

"You can finally go on the carousel tomorrow. The weather has been awesome, so fingers crossed it stays that way". I nod.

Dario appears shifting his feet across the room and stretching, "You two look happy. Did I miss something?". He's wearing the bracelet I gifted him.

"Not too much, are you well enough to eat soup?" Angeline asked, taking out a bowl from the top cabinet.

"Yup, I think this iron gut is almost back in business," He pats his stomach.

"What was the name of that place again?".

"Don't remember and don't care".

●●●

The girl is at a shelter sitting with a group of kids at the table. The shelter provided an area for kids to do homework and other activities. She sat across the table with another young girl, coloring a picture.

"What are you drawing?" The other girl asked.

"I'm coloring a house," she hummed a tune in her head.

"Oh. mommy I need help on this one!," The little girl called out for her mother.

"I can help" the young girl comes over to other girl. She examined the paper that had a lot of words and no pictures. She wasn't going to back down after she promised to help. She concentrated her attention on the paper and read out loud, "if - Sydney h-aa-ss thhh-

"It's okay," the other girl said.

"Okay," she shrugged and went back to her seat.

"Need anything?," a boy that volunteer at the shelter comes over.

"I need help with this?" She gestured to the homework in front of her.

"Oh that's easy, the answer is eight".

'Thank you." She wrote the answer down then whispers, "She doesn't know how to read" to the boy.

The girl overheard the comment. An unsettling feeling washed over her and she suddenly felt sad.

"Don't be mean," the boy responded. "Hey you, what school do you go to?" He asked the sad young girl.

"Nowhere...I don't got to school" she said.

"Why not?" He asked.

"I don't know," she shrugged.

"My mom's a teacher. She can help you get into a school. I have to ask her, though. You can ask your parents too".

"Okay" she smiled. Later, she searched for her dad and found him playing cards with an older man.

"Daddy, I spoke to a boy. He says his mom is a teacher an-and that she can help me go to school". The girl said with excitement.

"What boy?" He peered at his daughter.

"I think he works here, so can I?" She asked.

"Can you what?". He asked

"Go to her school".

"No," he harshly said. The older man next to him gave him a disapproving look.

"Bu-but why?" her voice shakes.

"Because school cost money and we don't have that," he lied. " I'll teach you".

"You said that last time". She walked away. Stomping her feet.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.4K 742 50
I wanted a little, I got one, all that's left is for him to understand he's mine, and that I'd never let him go. #Thalia. The world is theirs, and...
579 1 14
Lydia and Ava are living the dream. Things couldn't be better for them. But a trip to the doctor's office changes all of that in an instant. Obstacle...
264K 6.9K 34
As far as streetrat, Jamie was concerned, they were 17, a teenager. And despite what their body is telling them, not a god damn puppy. After a botche...
828K 14.1K 37
Ellie is a 30 year old woman with a very troubled past. To cope with her past, she frequently enters "little space". Ellie has never had a caregive...