The Monster Hero

By KyleBayan

In the land of Melromarc, the four cardinal heroes were summoned, each wielding a single weapon spear, bow, s... More

Character Bio
Ch 1: Summoned
Ch 2: Gearing Up
Ch 3: Monster
Ch 4: Lute Village
Ch 5: Preparations
Ch 6: The Wave
NOTICE
Bonus Chapter: Comin' Through
Ch 7: Duel of Heroes
Ch 8: Choice to stay
Ch 9: Gratitude and Race
Ch 10: Journey
Ch 11: Mysterious Overgrowth
Bonus Chapter: Bird Hunt
Ch 12: Curse
Ch 13: Back in The Capital
Ch 14: Trust Issues
Ch 15: Concequences of a Hero
Ch 17: Power
Ch 18: Conspiracy
Ch: 19 On The Run
Ch 20: Evil in The Kingdom
Ch 21: Filolial Queen
Ch 22: Filo's Coronation
Ch 23: Team Battle
Ch 24: The Church Attacks
Ch 25: Light and Darkness
NOTICE

Ch 16: A Challenger Approaches

422 15 1
By KyleBayan

NAOFUMI POV

After getting teleported to a Village near the mountains, we saw a flying ghost ship emerging from a crack in the sky along with many interdimensional monsters.

Ake: shield hero! Ryuji!

Ryuji: so you guys did get teleported

Naofumi: Ryuji, scout out the area for any nearby villages

Ryuji: on it. "Summon"! Rathalos!

After summoning Ratha, Ryuji got on his back and flew off.

As I was Changing to my Chimera Viper shield I heard voices behind us.

???: I'll handle this

???: out of our way

???: no you stay out of our way

I turned around and saw Ren, Motoyasu, and Itsuki along with their party.

They ran past us and charged towards the boss.

Naofumi: Hey, why didn't you guys bring the army!!?

The three ignored me and just kept running.

Naofumi: (damn it! It would be hard to protect the village, but I guess it won't be impossible)

Ryuji: I found a village!!

I looked up and saw that Ryuji and Ratha were already back from reconnaissance.

Ryuji: it's to the west. If you guys hurry you'll be there in a few minutes

Naofumi: can you tell me how far the village is from the capital? those idiots didn't bring the army

Ryuji: what!? didn't they know that trick you discovered?

Naofumi: I'm guessing they didn't think about it. so how long would it take for the army to arrive?

Ryuji: I'd say it might take the knights a few hours to get here

Naofumi: alright, let's focus on evacuating the villagers while the other heroes deal with the boss!

Everyone: Right!

Ryuji summoned his other monsters and we split up, with some knights teaming up with monsters.

Three hours have passed and while we were evacuating the townspeople, we saw an old lady easily defeating hordes of monsters by herself.

Ryuji: that lady is strong

Raphtalia: how did she do that?

The old lady bowed towards me.

lady: thank you very much in the past shield hero, I am indebted to you. 

Ryuji: do you know her?

Naofumi: beats me

Elrasla: my name is Elrasla, you healed me with the potion my son bought

I then remembered healing a bedridden old lady.

Naofumi: You're that same lady!?

Elrasla: yes indeed. thanks to you I feel much better now

Ake: Ryuji, shield hero!

Ryuji: Ake

Ake: we've evacuated all the villagers. Ratha and Avalanche are currently with them

Naofumi: that's great. Now make sure to keep the enemy out

Ake: yes

Ryuji: what's taking those guys so long? It's been three whole hours

I looked at the sky and there hadn't been any changes.

Ake: shield hero, you guys should get going. it would help if you put an end to the waves quickly

Naofumi: you sure?

Elrasla: you leave this village to little ol' me and these whippersnappers, the vassal heroes' monsters too

Naofumi: I suppose you're right. Dont push your luck grandma

Raphtalia and I got on Filo's back while Ryuji got on Akashiro and we left the village, trusting that the knights and the old lady would keep the monsters out.

On our way to the boss, we saw Itsuki and his party attacking the ship.

Ryuji: Itsuki where are the others!?

Itsuki glanced at us and continued to fire his arrows.

Itsuki: they're on the ship. I told them that attacking the figurehead will spawn the Soul Eater, but they wouldn't listen

Naofumi: your attacks aren't doing much damage, why didn't you get on the ship with them and attack from there?

Itsuki: There isn't a strategy like that in the game!!

I was surprised and angry that Itsuki still thinks this is a game.

Ryuji: what are you talking about, this isn't a game! I thought we all established that when we got to this world!?

Naofumi: that's enough Ryuji, he won't listen. Filo let's go!

Filo: kay!

I used "Airstrike shield" so that Filo could use it as a stepping stone while Akashiro just flew toward the ship.

Once we got on board Ren and Motoyasu were fighting separately.

Ren and his party were fighting a skull captain while Motoyasu and his harem were dealing with the Kraken.

Naofumi: Motoyasu!! Ren!! What's taking you guys so long!!?

Ryuji: yeah! monsters kept pouring out from the sky, we can't keep protecting the villagers forever!!

Myne: get lost and focus on protecting some village!

Naofumi: Shut up!!

The Skull captain tried to attack me but knocked it away with his sword.

Ryuji: Itsuki said something about a soul eater, what is that about?

I quickly blocked an attack from the Kraken.

Ren: the wave boss is a "soul eater" and it will appear once we defeat the skeleton!

Motoyasu: you killed it a bunch of times already and the soul eater hadn't spawned. We got to defeat the Kraken!

Ren: we have to kill the skeleton multiple times to make it work!!

Itsuki: your both wrong!!

Itsuki and his party somehow got on the ship, assuming they decided to take my advice and get closer.

Itsuki: It's the ship! we have to destroy the figurehead of the ship to spawn the soul eater!

The three began bickering like a bunch of kids which was starting to get old.

I looked at the Kraken, the figurehead, and the skeleton but my analysis skills haven't shown me anything useful.

Ryuji: Akashiro got anything?

Annoyed, already had my fill of problems because of the three idiots, I looked at Ryuji's monster.

I noticed its ears and head were moving around, almost as if it was looking for something.

Akashiro stared at the skeleton or more accurately, something behind it.

Akashiro leaped towards the skeleton and then smashed his beak behind the monster.

Suddenly a purple-white smog came out from where Akashiro attacked.

Itsuki: so it was the ship

Ryuji: I don't think so. Raphtalia! shed some light!!

Raphtalia: a-alright. As source of thy power, I order thee. Decipher the laws of nature and illuminate my surroundings. Fast Light!!

Raphtalia shot a ball of light into the air which glowed brighter.

Ryuji: there! In the shadow!

We looked at the shadows and saw eerie faces.

Naofumi: Quick attack the shadows!!

Everyone split up and attacked the shadows.

More of the purple-white smog came out of the shadows.

The smoke started swirling into each other and then formed into the wave boss, which resembles a three-eyed white specter with long claws and sharp teeth while being surrounded by a veil of pink flames.

Soul eater: *screech*

3RD PERSON POV

After all the heroes had attacked the shadows, the boss of the waves, the soul eater had appeared.

Ren: "Thunderbolt Slash"!!

Itsuki: "Thunder Arrow"!!

Motoyasu: "Lightning Spear"!!

Ryuji: Akashiro, Go!!

The three heroes and the Yian Kut-Ku unleashed their ranged attack on the soul eater but all the attacks bounced off except for Face Paint's fireball which dealt little damage.

The Soul eater charged in to attack but everyone quickly got out of the way.

The soul eater circled around, preparing for another attack.

Ren: it's stronger than it looks

Motoyasu: aren't our attacks even affecting it!?

Ryuji: it looks like Lightning element attacks are out

Ryuji switched to his bow and prepared a shot.

Ryuji: Akashiro, fire another shot!

Naofumi: Filo, use wind magic!

Filo: Kay! "Fast Tornado"!

Ryuji: "Firestorm Shot"!!

Filo and Akashiro's attack merged with Ryuji's arrow and dealt a strong blow to the Soul Eater.

Soul eater: *screech*

The soul eater backed off and then opened its mouth as it charged up a green ball of energy in its maw.

Ren: come on! We got to take it out before it unleashes that thing!

Motoyasu: right with ya!

Ryuji: wait!

Naofumi: get behind me! Gravios Shield!!

Naofumi changed his shield from its base form into one resembling a boulder with chains.

His team got behind him and he set up "airstrike shield" in the nick of time as the soul eater launched its attack.

The attack caused a massive explosion, tipping the ship and defeating the other heroes and their party at the same time.

Ryuji: you guys alright!?

The three heroes barely managed to get up.

Ren: barely

Motoyasu: that thing is too strong

The heroes faced the monster once more only to see it preparing another blast.

Naofumi: Filo!!

Ryuji: Akashiro!!

Filo: Kay! "High Quick"!

Akashiro: *roar*

Filo zipped towards the soul eater, landing multiple kicks and catching its attention.

Filo: can't touch me~

The soul eater looked up, furious, and was about to fire another blast when Akashiro struck the boss' lower jaw and forced it to quickly close.

The boss' attack exploded in its mouth, taking damage, and lowered itself to the ship.

Ryuji switched to his great sword and charged at the boss while Raphtalia backed him up.

The four continued to chip away at the boss' health while Naofumi was thinking of a way to beat it as fast as possible.

Naofumi: Guys I'm going to use it!!

Naofumi's team (minus Filo) was shocked by what he implied, but the other heroes and their party looked at him in confusion.

Naofumi: Rage shield!!

Upon activating the cursed shield, the gem on the shield turned red, and red markings started to glow on Naofumi's body.

Armor began forming on Naofumi's arms and he heard a voice in his mind.

Naofumi immediately realized that the voice belonged to the dragon zombie as its hatred had combined with the shield's power.

Everyone watched in shock as Naofumi's shield transformed and cloaked in flames.

Naofumi: RAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!

Itsuki: what happened to him!?

Motoyasu: What's wrong with Filo!?

Filo suddenly started to glow purples and rushed to the soul eater.

Filo: GRAAAAAAHHH!!!

Filo kicked the boss, sending it crashing into the ship.

Naofumi ran to the boss and started pressing his shield on it.

The soul eater roared and thrashed in pain as it got consumed by the flames of rage.

Everyone watched as Naofumi overwhelmed the monster.

Myne: he basically turned into a wild beast. that's certainly not how a hero is supposed to fight

Ryuji: *annoyed* zip it!

Akashiro spat a tiny ball of fire which floated towards Myne.

Myne: hmm?

The tine fireball exploded, covering Myne in soot.

Myne: Aaaaahhh!!

Myne fell to the floor, flailing which cracked a smirk from Ryuji.

Motoyasu: Myne!?

The skull captain and the Kraken got up and approached Naofumi along with many flying monsters.

Ryuji: would you guys quit gawking and help!?

Ryuji and Raphtalia charged in to fight and the other heroes joined in.

Ren: "Crimson Blade!

Raphtalia: HYAAAAA!!

Ren and Raphtalia slashed the skeleton.

Akashiro: *roar*

Ryuji: *switch to bow* "Pierce shot"!

Itsuki: "Thunder Arrow"!

Ryuji, Akashiro, and Itsuki fended off the tentacles.

The soul eater managed to throw Naofumi away.

Raptalia: Master Naofumi!!

Ryuji: Motoyasu!!

Motoyasu: *snarl* why should I have to help that bastard!? it's not right!

Itsuki: I hear you but we have no other choice

Akashiro, Ren, and Motoyasu rushed in to help Filo fight the boss while Ryuji, Itsuki, and the other companions fended off monsters.

Naofumi got back up and managed to regain control, much to Raphtalia's relief.

Ryuji noticed Naofumi was back and backed off.

Ren, Motoyasu, and Akashiro backed away.

Naofumi: "Shield prison"!

The soul eater was suddenly trapped in Naofumi's "shield prison", and started thrashing in an attempt to escape.

Naofumi: "Change Shield"!

Spikes appeared inside the prison and impaled the boss.

Soul eater: *pained screech*

A spell suddenly appeared in Noaufumi's vision and he began chanting it.

Naofumi: *corrupted voice* within this virgin of cold ore, who shall swallow even your screams with her embrace, suffer in anguish as your entire body is stabbed and skewered! Iron Maiden!

Suddenly an iron Maiden appeared in the sky, suspended mid-air by ominous chains.

The Iron Maden opened up and the prison started to float up then inside the spell.

The Iron Maiden closed, pushing the spikes inside to pierce the monster as it roared in pain.

The spell fades away, leaving behind the corpse of the soul eater to fall into the valley.

Naofumi: it's finally over

Naofumi fell to his knees and his shield changed back and Filo who slumped onto the floor, calmed down and confused.

Filo: master, what just happened?

Raphtalia: are you both alright?

Naofumi: what do you think? of course, I'm alright

Everyone made a sigh of relief when it all came to an end when another soul eater appeared.

Soul eater: *screech*

Itsuki/Ryuji: another one!!?

Ren: this definitely isn't in the game

Soul eater: *screech*

Just when everyone was about to get ready for round 2, magic projectiles came raining down, killing the second soul eater in an instant.

Everyone: Huh!?

???: How very disappointing

Suddenly a mysterious woman in a kimono fell from the sky.

???: you actually had trouble dealing with weaklings like these? Are you the heroes holding the world's fate in their hands?

The woman scanned the group until Ryuji's weapon caught her attention.

???: that is quite an unusual weapon

Ryuji: so? what of it?

???: it's nothing

The mysterious woman glanced at Naofumi.

???: there is only one among you worthy to be called a hero. and what is your name?

Naofumi: how about you introduce yourself, before asking for someone's name

???: oh, pardon me, whatever happened to my manners. I am called Glass, and that's all you need to know for now. Feel free to consider me your enemy

Naofumi: I'm Naofumi

Glass: Naofumi is it?

The woman who introduced herself as Glass, opened her fans and made a battle stance.

Glass: then may I suggest we begin the true battle of this wave?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54 0 13
Shaun Cross a young 14 year old growing up in Valentine Village eastern boundary of the Casentino a huge Kingdom found 30 miles away from the village...
2.5K 66 29
I was Reincarnated as a villager in another world...The world where horrors happen...A horror that is brought by the invasive hell. that brings both...
19.5K 276 41
When two gamers were chosen to change the course of different worlds to escape the boredom of reality, they go on a crazy adventure through the multi...
56.8K 1.4K 18
Naofumi is an Otaku who is the only thing keeping a homicidal Parasite "Parasite?!" from killing the earth with a steady diet of Chocolate, phenethyl...