Be so Very Cautious of The Wi...

Por bsowman

"I can't stop." He paused before talking again. "No, let me paint a better picture for that thick skull of yo... Mais

Tired Eyes
Warming Up
Secrets of The Past
A Date? Part 1
A Date? Part 2
Unexpected Plans
Unraveling

A Change in The Wind

21 1 0
Por bsowman

As they stared one another down, a sudden knock made them both jump. Maggie turned her head to look at the door just as Frank did and Grandpa looked at them both in confusion.

"Why are you two acting so jumpy? It's just the door." Grandpa started to get up as Maggie walked over to him and held her hand up.

"There was a robbery last night Papa, why don't you let Frank answer the door instead?" Papa stared at her apprehensively before slowly sitting back down in his chair.

"Oh, alright. I didn't hear about a robbery. Is everyone okay?" He asked as Frank walked over the door slowly as he leaned down and patted his leg for a moment. Maggie felt a swell of anger as she realized he was carrying a gun on him and probably had been this entire time.

"I think so, yeah. Just can't be too cautious." Maggie explained as he nodded. Frank answered the door a crack then before sighing and opening it the rest of the way.

"Red." Frank muttered as Matt stood at the door in a grey suit, his cane, and a satchel bag.

"Oh Matt! How are you my good man?" Grandpa called from his chair as he gave a wave. Matt smiled charmingly at him in his general direction as he stepped in.

"I'm good George. How are you?" He asked as Grandpa shrugged.

"Same old, same old. Maggie keeps me in line like always."

"I can imagine. She runs a tight ship." Matt tilted his head. "But I'm here to come get our mutual friend Frank here."

"You know Frank?" Grandpa asked in surprise. "He's a nice lad! You two should introduce me to your friends more often."

"You'd steal them all if I did that Papa." Maggie teased as he waved at her dismissively with a grin.

"I can't help it if your friends like me more. Anyways, I'm going to go and lay down for a bit. 80 is too old not to take naps. Also Maggie, I can't find Donut anywhere. Have you seen him?" Grandpa asked with a frown as Maggie's face fell slightly.

"Donut died a long time ago Papa. Remember? We had him when I was a kid." She gently reminded him as he averted his eyes in embarrassment as he got up.

"I see.. Well you two have fun talking." He was clearly upset and Maggie was tempted to follow after him but instead just watched as he went into his room and softly closed his door.

"Is he taking his medicine like he's supposed to?" Matt asked as Maggie sighed, walking to the kitchen and putting on a pot of coffee with a nod.

"Yes. It's only getting worse though."

"You can't fight dementia, Mag." Matt spoke solemnly as she turned around, crossing her arms as she watched him carefully, trying not to say anything in her upset.

"I know." She told him simply as Frank cleared his throat.

"Sorry to interrupt, but is everything situated?" He asked Matt as Matt nodded his head.

"We're clear to leave. Maggie, again I can't tell you how grateful I am that you let us stay here last night and let Frank stay here all day today. If you hadn't, things could have been a lot worse." Maggie nodded silently as she watched them, looking at Frank briefly before looking down.

"Yep, don't mention it. Hope you get whatever you're looking for, Frank." She murmured as she turned her back to pour herself a cup of coffee, feeling a knot in her stomach as she did so.

"We'll wanna go now while we have the chance." Matt told him lowly as Frank hummed in response as he walked towards Maggie who was facing the kitchen counter. He reached out and his fingers briefly brushed her shoulder, her head turning to the left to look slightly at him.

"I'll be back to get you that coffee." He said as she nodded with a blank face.

"Yeah, of course you will." Maggie turned back to continue pouring her cup of coffee before turning around as he retreated towards Matt before they walked out of the door.

"Bye Maggie." Matt waved to her as he closed the door behind him and Maggie stood in her once again empty apartment, staring at the floor for a few minutes. Soon, it started getting dark outside and Maggie fell back into her usual routine. Jumping into the shower, she contemplated the last 24 hours and the excitement of it all.

It had shaken up her usual ritual and made her feel more alive then she had in such a long time. The only thing she had been doing for the last two years was taking care of her Grandpa, going to work, grocery shopping, reading, and repeating that process. This had thrown everything out the window but it made her crave more from life, and her mind went back to what she used to do with her weekends which was singing at the local club. "Maybe I'll go back to doing that." She muttered to herself as she slowly massaged shampoo in her hair.

Soon Maggie was clean and got dressed in her pajamas before exiting the bathroom and walking into the living room. It was late now, around 10 PM and Maggie sat on the couch for a few minutes as she thought as the tv played black and white shows. "You seem distracted." Grandpa said as his eyes remained glued on the tv.

"Just thinking." Maggie replied, staring down at her hands for a moment.

"About?"

"Going back to Aster's to sing again." Grandpa didn't say anything for a moment but paused his show as he turned his head to stare at her in surprise.

"You think that's a good idea?" He asked as Maggie sighed.

"It would bring in extra money, and it would give me something to do."

"But you remember how Aster is, don't you?" His eyebrows were raised as Maggie bristled.

"He's been asking me back for a while, Papa. It wouldn't be that bad of an idea." What Maggie didn't reveal to him was that Aster guaranteed her protection by working for him again, something that was seeming more appealing by the day with how much Hell's Kitchen was going to shit.

"I won't tell you how to live your life. If that's something that you feel would give you purpose, do it." After that, he unpaused his show and went back to watching it as Maggie got up to go to bed, telling him goodnight before shuffling into her room for the night.

Weary eyes stared back at Maggie. "I want you to be prepared for the worst." Maggie's mother spoke softly, her voice rough as she talked. "I'm not going to be around much longer, Magpie. You have to be strong when I'm gone." Maggie's eyes filled with unshed tears as she viciously shook her head.

"No Mommy! Daddy told me you're not going to die. He promised." Maggie's mother sighed, turning her pale face away as her dull green eyes looked down to the hospital floor.

"I know what he said, baby. But your Daddy doesn't know everything."

"Daddy told me that Uncle Fisk was going to get you in that experimental program." Her Mom let out a scoff and sharply turned her head back to look at her.

"Don't ever talk about that man again! Do you understand me, Magnolia?" Maggie jumped at her Morher using her full name, slowly nodding her head as she blinked at her. "Your Father's brother is not a good man. When I'm gone you have to promise me you will have nothing to do with him, promise me now." Maggie stared at her Mother for a moment before speaking. She could tell that she meant it, and if that was what she wanted, Maggie would listen.

"I promise Mommy." Her Mom nodded in approval.

"There are some men in this life who wear a mask. Some of them play at being good, and some bad. Your Fathers brother is a man wearing a good mask, pretending he is someone he is not. And.. so is your Father to a certain extent, Maggie. Once I'm gone, I don't know how he'll react. Which is why you're going to stay with Papa, okay?"

"I'm going to stay with Papa?" Maggie was trying to digest everything her Mom was saying but it all felt so surreal.

"Yes. Papa will take care of you and make sure you are okay."

Maggie sat up in a daze as her alarm went off. With a groan, she slowly gathered the strength to roll out of bed and got in a pair of black scrubs a white sleeved shirt underneath as she checked the weather on her phone. Then she threw on a cardigan over it and braided her brown hair. Slipping on her sneakers, and grabbing her bag, she opened her door and saw Grandpa in his recliner with a banana.

"Papa, have you changed you colostomy bag already?" Maggie called to him as she walked into the kitchen to pour herself a cup of coffee that was already brewed.

"Yes! Specifically so you wouldn't get on to me this time." He teased as she rolled her eyes but smiled to herself.

"Well if that's what motivates you to do it, I'm not complaining." Grandpa chuckled quietly as he went back to watching tv.

"Have a good day at work, Maggie Darling. Be careful." Grandpa called as she started towards the door.

"I will, Papa. I love you." She blew him a kiss as he caught it and put it gently on his cheek. This made Maggie grin before she walked out the door. As she did, Tom was tiredly climbing the stairs in a white coat.

"Oh, Maggie, hi." His voice was tinged with exhaustion as he gave her a smile.

"Tom, hi. You look like you had quite a night." Tom sighed with a nod.

"Hells kitchen is getting worse by the day but at least most of them have been thugs lately. That daredevil guy has been working a number on them." Matt must have been active last night. Maggie thought to herself as Tom kept talking. "But there's someone else who's popped up in the last few months. They call him the punisher or something? He just kills them. Wouldn't wanna get on that guys bad side." He muttered as Maggie nodded, absently listening.

"Sounds like a nightmare, especially for the health professionals like us who have to deal with the aftermath." Tom nodded in agreement.

"You're telling me. Sorry, you're going to work and I'm talking your ear off. Be safe out there! The streets have been scary lately, even during the day."

"I will Tom, don't worry." Maggie gave him a small smile before she walked past him with a wave and pulled out her phone, walking down the stairs as she called a number. The phone rang twice before a voice spoke.

"Magnolia, have you reconsidered my offer?" Aziel Aster asked through the phone, his voice a purr.

"As a matter of fact, I have. Coming back does guarantee mine and my Grandpa's protection, right?" Maggie asked as he hummed in confirmation.

"That it does. I can even sweeten the deal and offer you more if you quit that little day job of yours and come sing every night. How does that sound?" He asked as Maggie contemplated it for a moment as she walked.

"Thanks, but no. I like my job."

"You'll reconsider eventually but for now, I'm just glad you're coming back. I'll see you tonight then starting at 7:30 until 3. Got it? Good. Wear something pretty." And then he abruptly hung up. Maggie couldn't help but feel like she had just sold her soul to the devil but shrugged it off as she got on the train to go to work. The rest of the day went by in a blur, trying to keep people alive on her ER shift as everyone was stressed with the amount of people coming in.

As soon as Maggie was off, she sighed in relief as she quickly made her way to the subway and to home as she felt herself feeling giddy at the opportunity to sing again after so long. When she made it back to her apartment she was silently relieved to not run into Tom in the hallway and let herself into her apartment. A smiled graced her face as Maggie saw him playing chess with Hubert, the older gentleman that lived downstairs.

"Oh Maggie Darling, how was work?" He asked as she sighed as she kicked off her shoes.

"Oh boy, it was something." Grandpa smiled in sympathy.

"That bad, hm? Well you're home and it's the weekend! So you can just relax."

"Actually.." Maggie trailed off for a moment as he raised his eyebrow at her curiously and Hubert turned to look at her as well. "I'm going to go and sing at Euphoria tonight, tomorrow, and Sunday." Grandpa's face fell as she said this.

"That quick? Well.. okay. I guess Hubert and I will be playing for a while so I'll be busy anyhow."

Maggie smiled hopefully at him. "See? That'll be fun for you.. but I have to hurry and shower then get dressed. I love you!" Maggie called as she started walking towards the shower. As she got in, she decided she would wear something cute but safe until she got more into the ease of things and Aziel got more lenient.

Soon Maggie jumped out and blow dryed her hair then brushed it out and put it in a low ponytail then quickly ran to her room in a towel before slipping on a pair of panties, tights, then shimmying into a silver dress, doing her makeup then slipping on a pair of heels and finally grabbing her phone, coat, and purse.

Maggie looked in the mirror in her room for a moment as she inspected herself, having a hard time even recognizing herself for a moment. It had been a long time since she had gotten dressed up and it made her feel like she was in someone else's skin.

After a minute, she finally walked out of her room and received a whistle from Hubert who got a slap on his arm from her Grandfather. "Shut up you old geezer." He glared at him before returning his attention to her. "Maggie, you look beautiful! Have a good night and don't let weird old men whistle at you." Grandpa stared at Hubert pointedly as he shrugged sheepishly.

Maggie walked to Grandpa and leaned down to give him a hug. "Thank you Papa, hopefully this is a nice night for me. I will see you in the early morning, don't wait up. Okay?" Grandpa nodded as he hugged her back then squinted at the chess board.

"Can't promise that I won't, Magpie." He murmured as she shook her head with a sigh before going towards the door.

"Please don't, I won't be home until late."

"All the more reason to stay up and wait until you get home." He told her before he shooed her out the door with his hand. "Get out of here before you're late for your first night." Maggie rolled her eyes but waved by and then walked out. As soon as she got downstairs, she hailed a cab and gave them directions to Euphoria. It took about ten minutes for her to get there and once she did, she was greeted with an impossibly long line. Instead of waiting, she walked right up to the night guard, Marcus, and smiled.

"Maggie!" He grinned at her in disbelief. "I heard rumors you were coming back but I can't believe it. How are you honey?" Maggie grinned back and felt a swell of joy at seeing an old friend. Marcus was around 6'2, dark skinned, about 200 lbs or so, with striking black eyes, a goatee, and handsome face. He wore his hair in a short fade but had cycled through different styles, rocking each one he chose to do.

"I'm good, I'm excited to be back! How are you? How are things here?"

"Busy, as per usual. I'm sure it's gonna get busier with you back and all the girls will be excited to see you. You better go in and talk to Aziel though, don't wanna keep him waiting." He opened the gate then and let her walk through before closing it back up as people in line groaned. She waved before walking inside and quickly made her way to Aziel's office. With a knock, she waited for him to answer.

"Come in." She heard his muffled voice behind the door and as she opened the tall black wood door, she saw Aziel sitting behind his desk, his sunglasses on and a sharp suit as he looked over paper work.

Aziel was a deviously handsome man and he knew it, wearing it with all the confidence in the world. With a grin, he got up and walked over to Maggie as he put his hands on her shoulders. "Magnolia.." He breathed as his fingers gripped her somewhat hard and she struggled not to wince. "I've been longing— no I've been envisioning the day you come back to me." He let go of her shoulders then and one hand came up to stroke her face for a moment before pulling away.

"Well, here I am." Maggie told him somewhat nervously, a forced smile.

"Yes, indeed. Here. You. Are." He emphasized each word as he rubbed his hands together before one hand reached out and tugged a bit on her ponytail. "You look wonderful, although you always do. Nice choice, playing it safe I see. Always smart and thoughtful, which I've always liked." He paused for a moment before talking again. "Now tell me, what changed? Wait no, let me guess." He held his chin with a hum before pointing to her left hand. "You don't have that ring on your finger. Not with ol' Willy boy anymore? Good, didn't need that dead weight."

Maggie had forgotten just how lively Aziel was. "Um, well yes but that's not the only reason. I- I missed singing. Life has been boring without it and I wanted to get back into it." Aziel nodded as he leaned back in his desk.

"Plus my protection." He added as Maggie nodded as she rubbed her hands together nervously.

"And that, yes."

"Smart decision, you know? Things are getting.. very unpredictable out there. Wouldn't want anything to happen." He licked his lips then as he stared at her, where his eyes lay indecipherable behind his sunglasses. "I'm very glad you're back, I don't think I can state that enough Magnolia Fitzgerald. That is your maiden name, right? Now that you're no longer with that idiot." Maggie slowly nodded, wondering just how he knew but really, she knew why he knew. Aziel made sure to know everything about everyone.

"Yep, that is my maiden name."

"Weird that it's not Fisk." He murmured as Maggie froze as he said this, looking at him with wide eyes in shock. He shrugged with a smirk at this. "Don't worry, I won't say anything to anyone. You should know though, your uncle does do business here. I'm sure he's kept tabs on you, as one does with family." He threw it out casually before pushing himself off his desk. "But I doubt it'll be any problem."

"I can see you've done your research." Maggie spoke lowly as he tilted his head and gave her a half smile.

"I've always been privy to the information of the girls I employ, especially you. You're one of my favorites, and your voice has always brought attention to our wonderful little palace." He started walking around her as he put his arms behind his back.

Maggie simply stood there, her hands clasped together as she fidgeted at his stare. "So, am I cleared to go back stage and start rehearsing?" She asked, feeling irritation at Aster's little game as he said nothing for a moment, still walking back and forth behind her like a shark laying in wait for its meal.

"Stop fidgeting, it's unbecoming of someone so elegant." He admonished, his voice tight as Maggie became deadly still then. "There you go. What do you plan on singing tonight?" He asked as Maggie held out her song list as he took it from behind her where he stood somewhat close now. "Mm no, no, not that.. hmm I like that." He murmured as he went through the list. "Sing Greedy for a little bit of a seductive atmosphere andddd.. Girl I used to be. We'll do that near closing. I expect you to be serving drinks to our guests when you're not singing and taking them back to talk to me if need be."

"I know, Aster. I worked here for 3 years remember?" She reminded him as he grunted in response as he walked up behind her until he was only an inch or two away and she felt him grabbing her coat.

"Shed this thing, you don't need it." He pulled it off of her swiftly and hung it up in the corner on a coat rack as he turned around to look at her with a grin. "Magnificent." He breathed before walking back to his desk. "Come back at the end of the night for your coat." He motioned to it before shooing her out. "Don't disappoint me on your first night back."

Maggie didn't say anything as she walked out, closing the door behind her and started towards the back where she walked into the powder room and loud high pitched squeals all rang out. "Maggie!" The girls voices rang out as Maggie laughed as she spread her arms.

"Hi babes! I missed you all!" She grinned as everyone ran in for hugs.

"You fell off the face of the planet for the last year and a half! Where have you been?" Erika asked her. She wore a gold romper that shimmered, her eye makeup white and gold that complimented her light tan skin with a red lip. She had dark green eyes and a full set of lips, her bottom lip being fuller than her top lip. Her hair was black and wild, going down the middle of her back.

"I've been working as a nurse at a hospital in Hell's Kitchen." Maggie explained as each of them looked impressed.

"And you're not with that cunt anymore?" Jessica asked her bluntly, her eyebrow raised. Jessica had almost white blonde hair and blue eyes, her skin fair with rosy red cheeks. Jessica was wearing a black long sleeved dress, sequins sewed to the front.

"Nope, I divorced him and got a restraining order." Maggie said as Jasmine clapped with a grin. Jasmine was a very polished woman, dark skinned with a gorgeous face that was always schooled. She had pretty blue polished nails that matched her maxi dress that had a slit in the leg.

"Finally! God I was afraid you'd stay with William through all of his awful shit. You look so happy and healthy now." She cooed as her hands rested on either of Maggie's cheeks and she looked her over with her big dark brown eyes. "But why are you back really? I thought you'd wanna leave all of this behind." Maggie shrugged as she smiled softly.

"I missed it here, missed you guys. I needed the excitement in my life again and feeling like I have friends. I've never made any friends at my new job, and you guys know me better than anyone else. Besides, I can do this on the weekend to make some extra cash, and maybe get a better place for Grandpa and I to stay."

"Not to sound harsh, but why don't you put your Grandpa in a nursing home, Mags? You can't really have any kind of normal life or relationship taking care of him." Erika asked as Maggie turned to her with a glare.

"I would never do that to him. He took care of me my entire childhood, made sure I was okay and devoted his later life to me. I can have a normal life with someone who is willing to accept that I take care of my Grandpa. If they don't then I don't want them. Another reason I finally rid myself of William, he kept trying to put Grandpa into these shady-ass nursing homes."

Erika held up her hands as she apologized. "Alright, alright, sorry I brought it up. The love you have for him is special clearly, and I am not the person to get in the way of the love of a girl and her Grandpa." Maggie smirked at that as she bumped her with her hip.

"I'm not trying to bite your head off or anything, Erika. Anyways, what time slots do I have? I'm sure one of you have the updated schedule." She asked them, looking around at each of them as Jasmine pulled out her phone and held up a finger.

"Gimme oneeee second.. Okay here, I'm first up tonight at 8 and I have two songs back to back, then Jessica at 9, Maggie you start with your first song at 10, then Erika you have your song at 11, back to Jessica at 12 and she has two more songs, then Erika again at 1, we have a break at 2 and 2:30 right before closing you sing again Maggie." Maggie nodded at that as she put her times in her phone.

"In the mean time then? What am I listed for on the schedule?" She asked as Jasmine looked down at her phone again and hummed with her lips pressed together.

"Um.. You're going to be taking guests back to Aster's office all night. You're not scheduled to serve any drinks from what it looks like." Maggie groaned, blowing some air of her mouth in frustration.

"Welp.." She drifted off as Erika murmured,

"Yikes."

"I mean you're single now so you could always indulge him in what he wants." Jessica told her as Maggie shook her head with furrowed eyebrows.

"Absolutely not. We all know what he does and how he is as a person, Jessica."

"Yeah but he would treat you like the princess you deserve to be treated as and he would financially support you and your Grandpa. Just looking at it realistically, ya know?" She asked as Jasmine chimed in.

"Nu-uh, Jess! He has an unhealthy obsession with her and she should not indulge that. Maggie, for the last year and a half he has not hired anyone in your place because he's been waiting for you to call him. It's weird— no it's creepy actually." Erika rolled her eyes at that.

"If it was me, I'd have jumped on that. I mean how often is a man with good looks and money gonna be interested in someone like one of us? No offense because all of us are beautiful and we're cool as fuck, but we're poor girls from Hell's Kitchen with bad upbringings."

"Jeez Erika, way to sell us." Jessica scoffed as Erika threw her hands up.

"Want me to lie?"

"No! But we have more to us than just that. Maggie is a nurse, you're great at accounting, plus you're smart as hell, Jasmine is basically a human goddess walking around, and I'm.. well I'm sure I'll figure out what I'm good at besides singing and being a pretty face one of these days."

"Jessica," Maggie started. "You don't have to find something you're good at because that doesn't define your worth. You're a lovely, bubbly, funny woman who can sing, and is also great company."

"Well thank you Maggie!" Jessica beamed at her then stuck her tongue out at Erika. "See, that's what I'm talking about."

"Okay girls, no more arguing." Jasmine cut in. "Listen, we all know how.. prickly Aster is. Realistically speaking, I doubt he'd be much better dating him so." Everyone nodded at that.

"We better get to work." Maggie told them as soon, each of them dispersed to go do what they were assigned to and Maggie waited near the DJ booth with James, a skinny, pale, lanky man who had spiky neon green hair and a sickly appearance. He wore a tight black long sleeved shirt with Beige jeans and converses with big hoop earrings dangling.

"Nice to see your face, lovely." He told her as he leaned on the counter as they watched Jasmine sing.

"It's nice to be back, feels like home really." She told him as suddenly a man came up in a brown suit and a nasty scar across his eye. He was around 6'5, and had a very grouchy look on his face. Both James and Maggie glanced at one another before she looked back to the man.

"Here to see Aster." He muttered as Maggie nodded, running her hands down her dress for a moment to smooth it out before turning towards the hallway.

"Yes sir, follow me back to his office." She motioned for him to follow and he did but she suddenly felt him touch the middle of her back as they were nearing his office. Just as soon as she tensed up, Aster was coming out of his office and walked around Maggie to snatch his hand up.

"Dom, nice to see you." He told him pleasantly as he squeezed his hand. Dom cringed in pain as Astor got closer, glaring at him. "Never touch my staff ever again if you value your hands." He hissed out as Dom nodded over and over again, sweat beading down the sides of his head.

"Of course, Aziel, of course. I didn't know." Astor straightened up as he threw his hand down then stormed back into his office, grabbing hand sanitizer then squirting a large amount in his hands as his face scrunched up in disgust.

"Don't just stand there!" He barked out as he glared at Dom. "Get in here you idiot." Dom quickly went in and as he passed Maggie, he apologized several times as Aster told him to shut up. "Magnolia, shut the door please." He told her as Maggie nodded and quietly shut the door before walking away quickly.

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

2K 53 13
Matt Murdock and Foggy Nelson are finished their second year in college and decide to head off on a road trip together. By accident they arrive in a...
395K 18.4K 136
"Why are you doing that!" she whisper-screams while her eyes flit to the other guys, who are now immersed in something else that isn't us. I kiss th...
10K 166 74
"You don't want me..." I breathed, selfishly leaning into his touch. But I quickly pull away. "I'm different and so not your type," I muttered, looki...
64.6K 1.2K 52
This story is purely made from my Imagination. A Mafia Romance By Dylanobriensmami ---------------------- 𝐌𝐈𝐑𝐀𝐁𝐄𝐋𝐋𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐕𝐀𝐑𝐄𝐒 I was sen...