Ever After High AU: Book 2...

By RosiePeaks28

A week after Legacy Day and both Raven Goodking's and Apple White's worlds have been rocked. The Storybook of... More

Chapter 1 - A Less than Perfect Start
Chapter 2 - Divides and Food Fights
Chapter 3 - Fairy Intentions
Chapter 5 - A Forest Fight
Chapter 6 - Opening Minds and Revealing Secrets
Chapter 7 - A Plan of Princely Action
Chapter 8 - Crown Flipping Conversations
Chapter 9 -Hard Conversations

Chapter 4 - Cutting Words

68 0 0
By RosiePeaks28

Briar's POV

Briar yawns, doing her best to stay awake as she takes her seat in Damsel-in-Distressing. She already falls asleep at random times thanks to the residual effects of her family's sleeping curse, but it always gets worse when she does not have a good breakfast or at least some caffeine. Neither of which she had today thanks to the food fight.

As Briar gets her books out and a sips on some tea to try and stay awake, she notices Cerise and Ramona Hood-Badwolf enter the classroom. The two sisters were notably wary of Duchess and were giving the Swan Princess harsh, guarded looks, which even Briar found warranted. She always knew Duchess was a haughty and spitefully, but she was downright cruel this morning. Briar would like to say she doesn't know what got into her, but she knows dam well what's got Duchess all ruffled up.

Duchess, despite having one of the worst fairy tale endings, was a staunch Royal and believed in preserving tradition. She already hated the Rebels on the principal that they did not follow their fairy tales, but  with the Storybook of Legends missing and her thinking that the Rebels stole it she probably thinks they are parading around like proud peacocks. 

Which is not true in the slightest! If anything the Rebels have only gotten more subdued and fearful, like they knew that the Royals would blame them and that they would be deemed "guilty" without even a trial.

The bell rang, jerking Briar from her thoughts as everyone took their seats. Madam Maid Marian took role call. All the students were here except for -

"Ms. Apple White?" Madam Marian called.

Everyone looked around. It was very weird for Apple to not be in class right on time.

"Though it is not exactly Apple has been her self these past few weeks," Briar thought.

"Maybe she ran off into the Forest," Duchess snickered.

Briar snapped her head towards Duchess. "Duchess, will you just -"

Briar was cut off by the classroom door opening and Apple walking in.

"Ms. White, there you are. Is everything alright?" Madam Marian asked, concern plainly written on her face.

Apple mumbled something that Briar couldn't make out, and judging by her expression their teacher could not either.

"Okay then, why don't you have a seat. You didn't miss anything, just attendance so I won't mark you down and this is also the first time you have been late, so don't worry about this going on your record."

Apple gave a small nod and took the nearest available seat, which just so happened to be next to Darling Charming.

"Alright then, let's get on with today's lesson."

The lesson for the day was identifying sounds, particularly sounds that might be if you are getting kidnapped or a rescue is coming. Most were nothing special. A horse galloping, dragon wings flapping, the sound of clanking armor, etc.

At some point during the lesson, Duchess starts making snarky remarks that are just unnecessary - like how she does not need to know this stuff, how boring it must be to be one of the characters who get stuck in towers - but this latest one was the worse.

"I am surprised that Madam Marian is still teaching this class," Duchess's signature snark was clear in her voice.

The recordings stopped. Madam Maid Marian fixed Duchess with a stern glare. "Ms. Swan, care to repeat that for the class?"

Duchess lifted her chin up, showing that she was not scared of the teacher, "Gladly, Mrs. Hood. I was just saying that I am surprised that you are still teaching this class, given recent events. I am just surprised that Headmaster Grimm has not kicked you all out yet since you and your people have little to no respect for Ever After's long held traditions."

It was so quiet that you could have heard a dormouse yawn. Briar saw that all of her classmates had different reactions. Most of the Royals were either shocked that Duchess would say something so blatantly rude. Helga Crumb - daughter of Hansel from Hansel and Gretel - looked like she agreed with Duchess. Ramona and Cerise, obviously looked shocked, angry and like they were ready to pounce, but were restraining from doing so because they know that if they did it would just put more blame on them. Ashlynn looked both pale as she stared at Duchess, as did Darling Charming. Apple though....

Apple looked like she was just slapped awake. She was clearly shocked and appalled by Duchess's tone... but it was clear she was thinking on her words.

Madam Marian's face, meanwhile, was stony and serious as she got out a piece of parchment and wrote something down on it. "Ms. Swan," her voice was serious and firm, not wavering for a second, "I am very disappointed in you. This is not how a princess should behave herself. You will serve detention for the rest of the week and will use that time to research and write a report for me on why you value these traditions."

Duchess sneers at these words, "Fine. It's not like a punishment given to me by a Rebel means anything anyways," she leans back into the plush seating.

~~~~~~~~~~

"You know, Duchess's words might have some value."

Briar whipped her head around to Apple just as Ashlynn walked right into her. The three were on their way to Kingdom Management when Apple suddenly blurted out those crazy words.

"How in Ever After does what Duchess said have any value?" Briar bit out every word, doing her best not to shout at Apple.

While Briar would never deny that fact that she is a Royal and is willing to go through with her destiny - despite knowing that she would sleep for 100 years - that does not mean she thinks she is better than the Rebels or thinks that everything should just go back to the way it was before the war. In fact, Briar actually secretly supported most of the changes that the Rebels are trying to implement - including the Replacement Character system.

Apple's gaze looks both faraway and focused, almost like she was thinking of something else, "What if this is all part of some grand master plan? The Storybook of Legends going missing would help further the Rebel's agenda of riding Ever After of the old traditions and it would also ensure that no one would be able to sign."

"Apple do you hear yourself!" Ashlynn snapped, "'The Rebel's agenda' 'grand master plan', you talk like we are still in a war! The Rebels were all just as blindsided by the Book going missing as we were! This does not have to be an Us vs Them scenario! Also, it does not make sense - Raven was terrified when she saw her story in the fake book and you are really gonna try and say that that was faked! Get off your high throne and face the real story!"

Apple reeled back as if she had been struck. She was looking at Ashlynn with an almost betrayed look on her face.

"..Why - why would you say that, Ashlynn?" Apple's voice trembled. Briar almost felt bad for her.

"Because I am tired of you pushing the idea that the Rebels are 'enemies' or that they are trying to destroy everything good in Ever After. They. Are. Not. And I am tired of having to listen to you try to justify yourself!" Ashlynn was angrier than Briar had ever seen her.

Apple blinked taking a step, "Ashlynn - you - you don't know what you are saying!" She was looking at Ashlynn like she did not recognize her, "That's - that's your - that's Hunter Huntsman putting ideas in your head -"

"Don't you dare try and blame my realizations on my boyfriend! I came to these conclusions myself - not because he 'turned' me to the Rebels, not because I was 'indoctrinated', but because I have barely recognize you Apple since we have come here! Our first day here you violently overstepped Raven's boundaries, borderline harassed her, and have done everything in your power to discredit her, her friends and their beliefs!" The hallway was nearly empty by this point, everyone else in their classes, but Briar barely cared, to invested in her friends' argument. "I came to my conclusions about you based on your own actions. Nothing else."

Ashlynn then turned and marched off to class. Leaving a stunned Apple - and Briar - behind.

After a few seconds, Apple turned to look at Briar. Her face was pale, like usual, but more ghostly this time, like she just had the shock of her life.

"Do you... do you think that too?" Apple's voice was small, like she was afraid of the answer.

Before Briar could respond, the bell rang. "Come on," Briar linked her arm through Apple's like they were kids again, "Let's go, Mrs. Her Majesty the White Queen is way more stricter than Madam Maid Marian."

Apple nodded, letting Briar drag her along. Briar could not help but be grateful to the bell. Because she was also afraid of what she would have answered with.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33K 890 6
Male! Cinderella [1950] Book 2 " They can't order me to stop dreaming! " Being a princess comes with far too much expectations. Which is why Y/n snea...
1.1K 9 27
The origins of Ever After High has begun, and its NOT what you've probably expected (at all). Ashlyn Ella is struggling to hide her relationship with...
914 176 43
After many years of what seemed like a blink of an eye, the legendary fairytales of the fairytale world are back, more spellbinding and diverse. Have...
14.3K 448 26
This is a long story skip to the lemon if you want ya weirdos **slow burner with a lot of lore** A famous pure blooded young witch seems to have caug...