Bow and Sparrow

By tlquinn

Two countries on the brink of war and Noreena Phillips is caught in the middle. As the daughter of renowned G... More

CH 1
CH 2
CH 3
CH 4
CH 5
CH 6
CH 7
CH 8
CH 9
CH 10
CH 11
CH 12
CH 13
CH 14
CH 15
CH 16
CH 17
CH 18
CH 19
CH 20
CH 21
CH 22
CH 23
CH 24
CH 25
CH 26
CH 27
CH 28
CH 29
CH 30
CH 31
CH 32
CH 33
CH 35
CH 36
CH 37
CH 38
CH 39
CH 40
CH 41
CH 42

CH 34

98 6 4
By tlquinn

"So there's no plan?"

"We did good to get this far. I honestly didn't think we would." Haiden didn't look up from where he was lounging in the armchair. He had reclaimed his cap that was now draped over his eyes and his belt of explosives tossed precariously to the side.

Rylan had taken to pacing again, although every so often he would stop and kneel next to me and his fingers would brush my shoulder, the top of my head, my hand as if he had to reassure himself that I was really here.

Knox was perched beside me, and after a lot of convincing, I was letting him bind my arm in a makeshift sling with the moth-eaten bandages he had found in a cabinet. He wound it around my torso, snug but not too tight. He said it would speed up the healing process

"Well, we can't stay here. It's only a matter of time before someone finds us." Rylan said, wearing a path in the floor.

"Will you stop pacing? You're stressing everyone out." Haiden chided from underneath his cap. Rylan glared but ultimately ignored him, not even breaking stride.

"My father. He'll take us in." We just have to make it that far without getting caught. The others exchanged uneasy glances.

"I'm not sure that's the best idea-" Rylan started but I cut him off.

"Do you have any other ideas? We can't stay in Rezantri." It wasn't just that I wanted to go home, but I really did think my father could help us. He would put aside his hatred for Rezantri, he would have to. "You'll be safe there."

Rylan wasn't convinced. I understand his hesitancy. Walking into the enemy general's home would be almost as foolish as me walking back into Mortham Keep. Rylan looked at Anders, who had been quiet this entire time.

"If Nori says it's safe, I believe her." Anders shrugged. He had discarded the royal guard uniform. It was laying in a crumpled pile on the floor next to him. The only thing that remained was the pleated black pants with a red stripe running down the leg and a black kaftan with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. I knew now why he wore the uniform. It had been him on the balcony in the square that I had seen guarding the king and his council. I wondered how he managed to accomplish that but I couldn't force myself to ask him about it.

"All right," Rylan relented, taking up position next to me on the floor. "We'll set out for Dast when the night breaks."

We still had a few hours left until sunset so we took the time to exchange stories. I let Rylan take control, telling the other about Commander East and the meeting with the king though he kept that brief. He looked at me then, expecting me to fill in what happened after but I just waved him off. Anders jumped in after that, detailing everything that happened after we were taken away along with the twins' interjections.

Apparently, they hadn't realized what had happened until the next morning when neither of us came to breakfast. Instead Commander East had left behind his two lieutenants, the ones with the blue armbands, to keep things running smoothly. After pestering them with question after question, one of them finally slipped that we had been taken to Vinburgh. They had to sneak out which had been difficult since the lieutenants were watching them more closely. They had only just arrived in the capital this morning armed with a plan. Just in time too.

The sun had begun its descent and was brushing against the treetops when an ominous chill settled over the house. The shadows from the broken windows danced on the walls and the boards above our heads creaked as though footsteps were walking across them. It was still light outside when we decided to risk it.

I stood, the blood rushing to my head and my vision went spotty. I leaned against the wall as a warm arm snaked around my waist.

"Are you alright?" It was Rylan's arm around me and his mouth was inches from my ear, his breath fanning my hair.

"I'm just light headed. I'll be fine." I nodded even as I felt the color drain from my lips. I took a wobbling step but even with my hold on the wall and Rylan's grip around me, I stumbled. Rylan swore as he took the brunt of my weight.

"When was the last time you've eaten anything?"

I pressed my lips together, thinking hard. There had been that sweet biscuit but I knew that wasn't what he meant. I shook my head.

"I've got something. Hold on." It was Anders that spoke, rummaging through his bag and pulled a handful of jerky out, holding it out. I reached for it, grateful for Rylan as I leaned into him and tore off a chunk of dried meat with my teeth. It was salty and felt like I was chewing on a piece of leather. It was the best thing I have ever eaten.

"Thank you, Anders. I'm feeling better now." It wasn't the full truth, but I didn't want to hold us up any longer. They've risked their lives for me and now I'm risking their lives all because I was hungry.

"Coast is clear." Haiden said from the window. I hadn't even noticed him keeping watch.

Rylan gave me one last look, his arm still around me. "Let's go."

_____

I thought walking through The Stills during the day was bad, but at night was ten times worse. Every gust of wind, every rustle of dead grass whipped our heads from side to side. We moved faster now, taking the shortest possible path out of Vinburgh. Unfortunately, that meant finding a different way through the large stone wall that surrounded the city. In addition to the main gate, there were several merchant entrances around the city although Rylan thought they would be heavily guarded by now. There was one other option.

The rushing of the river roared in my ears as we approached, the inky black waters swirling in the weak moonlight as they gushed through a tunnel under the stone wall. Metal bars protruded from the wall, plunging into the river.

The twins dived head-first before popping back up near each other on the other side of the wall and shaking the water from their hair. Knox and Anders went next although more carefully than the twins. The water came up to their necks as they waded towards the grated tunnel in the wall.

I stopped short, bringing Rylan to a halt beside me. I couldn't swim in a peaceful pond with two functioning arms, much less a raging river with one. "You're sure there's no other way?"

Rylan shook his head. "Hold tight."

I almost argued, but the way Rylan's eyes burned as he looked at me dissolved the doubts in my mind. I knew he wouldn't let me go so easily. I nodded meekly.

I wrapped my one good arm around Rylan's neck as his arms encircled my waist, holding me close. Probably closer than necessary. I tried not to think about the last time we were in water together. At least this time, I was fully clothed. It was a good thing it was getting dark now otherwise he would've seen my flushed face.

The water was colder than I expected it to be, frigid underneath the fabrics of my dress, its icy tendrils licking the skin of my bare legs.

Rylan took it slow, inching our way into the river. As we approached the tunnel, I tried not to think about the deathly water rushing around us or the fact that we were now wanted by the most powerful man in the country. Instead, I kept my eyes on Rylan, or more specifically the top button of Rylan's shirt. It had come undone at some point and showed a teasing amount of his tanned muscular chest underneath.

"Nori?"

My eyes traveled upward from that tantalizing button to Rylan's face where a smirk waited to greet me. He looked at me expectantly and I realized I hadn't been listening.

"Hmm?" I tried to ignore the way my ears burned.

"I said, hold your breath."

I mimicked Rylan, who took a deep breath, and squeezed my eyes shut, my arm tightening around his neck. It was a wonder I didn't choke him.

Rylan plunged us beneath the surface of the water and everything was quiet. No birds chirping, no wind, just the muffled rushing of the current as it pulled us along under the bars until I was suddenly jerked backwards.

My eyes snapped open, but I couldn't see much in the murky water except Rylan's panicked face as his arms slipped from around me. He tried kicking against the current and I flung my hand out to him just before he floated out of reach. He clutched onto my arm, pulling himself towards me as he tried to see what had caught me.

It was my skirt, snagged on the iron bars. I couldn't tell from the surface but the bars extended at least two feet into the water and now my skirt was tangled in them.

Whether it was desperation or lack of oxygen, Rylan reached for my waist and bunched the skirt in his hands, tearing it free at the seams. I kept a death grip on his shoulder while he worked, keeping him in place next to me. As the last thread snapped, we were at the mercy of the current again. The bottom of my dress drifted in the water behind us like a ghost.

Our heads finally broke the surface and we came up gasping for air. I clung to Rylan, refusing to let go until we were safely on land. The others were waiting for us a ways down the shore. I felt much better when my feet landed on solid ground.

"What were you two doing down there?" Haigen asked when we finally made it to them.

I looked down at my soaked self. My skirt was gone, lost to the river, which left me in just the thin silk lining that was underneath. The wet fabric clung to my thighs, leaving little for the imagination. I tried pulling it away from my legs but it was no use.

Rylan stepped in front of me, shielding me from view. I couldn't see his face but he must've been glaring daggers at Haigen. Haigen held his hands up in surrender.

"Let's get moving."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

66.9K 4.2K 70
(Completed) Two assassins were set to kill a girl. No questions asked. Just kill her and claim their prize. That was their mission. Except one of the...
2.8K 193 39
General's Daughter Prince of Aizaica kingdom And a arrange marriage! Elyse Madden a sweet but Tempered girl, Daughter of General Cyrus is forced a ma...
541 200 21
A team of enforcers. A gang of criminals. One common enemy. Against all expectations, a young woman enlisted as an enforcer, following in the footste...
623K 26.3K 52
Lady Carina is the favored daughter of the lord of the manor. She boldly refuses to marry the man he chose for her. Now, her father's fortress is und...