The Royal Sacrifice

By ragini_rakesh

Ujjayini - The land of eternal Victory. Its kings were known for never losing their Shridevi - women and Bho... More

Prologue
Characters
1. The start
2. The Queen questions
3. Avanti
5. The festivities start
6. New Ties and Old Wounds
7. The Marriage
8. Hastinapura
9. A Lesson forgotten
10. Gandharnaresh
12. You can't keep everyone happy.
Hiatus

4. Glimpses

120 11 11
By ragini_rakesh

Please do vote and comment!

Avantiraj had taken the groom's family to all the famous temples of Ujjayini. The Kurus felt immensely blessed that they got to see the temples which the bards sung about.

The senior men were taken with Avantiraj, while the princes went with Ashutosh and Vinayak. The women went with Maharani Gayathri and Rani ma Bhavani whereas Rajkumari Dushala went with Devi Shambhavi to visit the gardens.

Niranjana sat in her chambers, looking out of the window. Over the hours, a small wish had grown in her immature heart. She wanted to see Yudhishtira for once. But she knew, if any of her family members realised she would be severely scolded. But, she was up for a little challenge.

She stood up and opened her chambers door, and called a guard who was patrolling the corridors.

"Go and call Kushalini, nobody should know I have called her." She whispered to him and he went to carry out her orders. She then closed the door.

"Didi, you called for me?" Kushalini asked.

Sunidee Chauhan as Kushalini (i always imagined Kushalini to have curly hair!)

"Kushu, mere liye ek kaam kar do?" Niranjana asked.

(Kushu, do me a favour please)

"Aagya do didi!" the ever obedient Kushalini said.

(Order me, elder sister!)

"Arey pehle beto! Phir baat karte hai." Niranjana said buttering her. Kushalini was very obedient, she could never lie to her father. Niranjana said making her sit on the bed.

(Sit down, lets talk then)

"Kushu, I want to see the Yuvraj once." Niranjana whispered.

"WHAT!" Kushalini exclaimed standing up.

"Arey! Don't scream, somebody will hear." Niranjana said making Kushalini sit down again.

"Didi, with all due respect, aap pagal ho gaye hai! Apshakun ho jayega." Kushalini exclaimed.

"Arey, apshagun to tab hoga, jab ham dono ek dusre go dekhe to, agar sirf me dekhu to kya ho sakta hai." Niranjana explained a loophole.

( You have gone crazy. It would be inauspicious!

It would be inauspicious, when we both look at each other. if I am the only one to see him, what could happen?)

"Please Kushu, do something. I haven't been given a chance at a swayamvar, I have never seen him. What if he looks like a bear!" Niranjana said faking her worry.

Kushalini was naive and she got into thinking. She herself had not seen the prince. What if he did look like a bear. She didn't want ugly nephews and nieces.

"Ok then. I will figure something out. But promise me you won't get into trouble." Kushalini said.

"I promise. I wont get you into trouble.." Niranjana smiled and hugged her sister.

:~~~:

Ashutosh, the Pandavas, Duryodhan and Dushasan were walking in the gardens of Ujjayini. The other Kauravas had gone riding in the city with Vinayak.

Ashustosh and Yudhishtira engaged in small conversation. He also managed to keep the other princes entertained. He also judged each one of their personalities.

Yudhishtira was the calmest of them all. He always smiled and always spoke the truth. He was good looking standing tall, with a fair complexion and sharp eyes. His eyes showed a sense of maturity. Ashutosh also realized the eldest prince loved the game of dice, but he was very bad at it.

Bheema the second of the cousins. He was a very well built man. He always joked and a happy go lucky man. He loved eating and loved cooking as well. He was very protective of his family.

Next came Duryodhana. He too was well built. But, his arrogance could be sensed. His ego and pride could be sensed. He was too full of himself, and prided himself too much.

Then came Dushasana, he was a copy of his elder brother. Ever obedient and mirrored his brother's words and actions. He supported his brother without a question.

Next in line was Arjuna. The balanced and serious one of the brothers. He had his fun but was mature enough when required. He was lean unlike his elder brothers and cousins, buit his body was well toned. His fingers were calloused by his usage of the bow.

Then was Nakul. Nakul was breathtakingly handsome. The naughtiest of all the brothers. He pulled his elder's legs. He had well built arms suitable for a swordsman. His smile had captivated the palace's maids. He was an incorrigible flirt.

The youngest of the cousins and brothers was Sahadeva, Nakul's younger twin. He was the most silent and spoke very less. He spoke only when necessary. Just like his twin, his arms were well built, unlike his brother he was an axeman.

Ashutosh was under the orders of Maharaj to study the behaviour of the princes. He was impressed at the choice of his brother in law. He knew that his sister was in safe hands.

"Yuvraj, Rajkumar, tonight Pitashree has organised a small leisure evening fo rus near the banks of Godavari, in the Saraswati Mahal. Dinner will follow right after." Ashutosh said smiling.

"If your kitchens don't cheat us Yuvraj, then we shall be contented." Bheema joked and the other laughed.

:~~~:

A huge stage was set up and seatings were arranged. Dancers and singers were practicing and food was being prepared in large vessels. The marriage rituals were to start from tomorrow and this was one of the last leisurely evenings they would spend.

Kushalini slipped from the celebrations and walked towards Niranjana's quarters. She planned to take her to Yajna mahal behind the stage facing the spectators. She had already taken a look at the seating arrangements, at a particular angle a person standing on the upper balcony could clearly see the spectators.

Kushalini knocked at Niranjana's door.

Niranjana opened the door, and asked her to come in.

"Didi lets go. I have worked out something. Lets go." Kushalini said leading Niranjana out.

Niranjana recognized the path. She realized what her sister had planned.

The Yajna Mahal was meant for royal yajnas. It faced the Mahakal Mandir, and from the terrace of this structure, the temple's flag could be seen. It had a huge yajna mandal and seats for the guests. They climbed the stairs to reach the upper balcony and sat waiting for the guests to arrive. The Mahal was dark, and their only light was from the festivities taking place next door.

"Kushu, have you met the Yuvraj? How is he in person?" Niranjana asked in curiosity.

"I have seen him, but havent talked to him. I have heard him talking to Badi maa." Kushalini honestly spoke.

"Is it! What kind of a person is he? Please do tell me." Niranjana pleaded.

"Oh didi! He is such a good person. He is oh so kind. His words seems so sweet. He seems the kind of person to never get angry. He is a prize catch!" Kushalini teased, and Niranjana blushed.

The conch shells were blown symbolising the entry of the groom in whose honour the programme had been organised.

"Didi, the programme has started. Yuvraj has arrived." Kushalini said standing up and peeking out of the balcony making sure no one saw her. Niranjana rushed to peek from the window.

"Wo, waha pe pitashree ke bagal mein. Wo hi hai Yuvraj Yudhishtira" Kushalini said making sure she didnt point.

But, Niranjana had already recognized him. His eyes shone even in the dark. He sat there respectfully next to her father.

In the gardens of Saraswati Mahal, maids came to serve wine to the guests. The women were served with an exquisite mango drink, whereas the men had wine. The musicians entered the stage and their performance began

Avantiraj was carefully observing Yudhishtira. The man was very respectable. He made sure his elders and younger ones were comfortable before taking a seat himself.

The performance started and various instruments were played. The dance drama showing the story of ramayana started on the stage.

Ashutosh sensed something. He had eyed the Yajna Mahal once. For some reason, he thought he was being watched. He called a soldier and pointed at the Yajna Mahal asking him to check the balcony. He then ordered him to check on Niranjana and order Kushalini to come to the programme.

The soldier scurried away to carry out the Yuvraj's orders.

Niranjana was lost in Yudhishtira, but Kushalini noticed her brother ordering something to the soldier. She didn't think about this much, but she kept alert.

For a moment Yudhishtira looked at the upper balcony, and he saw something glistening. He smiled, knowing what it could be.

Niranjana caught his smile. She was caught. He had probably seen her.

Kushalini saw the guard entering the saraswati mahal and panicked. She grabbed her sisters arm and ran from another flight of stairs to the back door. Niranjana was shocked.

(A map for reference 😂)

"Arey! Kushu! Kya kar rahi hai?" Niranjana whisper shouted.

(What are you doing?)

"Didi, ek sainik yajna mahal ke saamne dwaar ke paas aa gaya hai, agar ham yaha se nahi jaate hai, to pakde jaayenge!" Kushalini replied stopping for a second and turning to face her sister.

(A soldier is coming inside, if we don't go in, we will be caught!)

The sisters escaped through the gardens and safely went to Niranjana's quarters, surprisingly no one was patrolling the corridors.

The sisters panted and looked at each other for a second and burst out laughing. They were never the ones to break rules, it had always been their brothers.

"Rajkumari ki jai ho! Mai Arun hu! Ujjayini ke sena me shaamil hu, me andar aane ki anumati chahata hu! " A voice boomed from outside.

(Hail the princess! I am Arun, a soldier in the army. I await your permission to enter!)

Niranjana took her time to open the door.

"Thoda dheere bolo, Rajkumari Kushalini so rahi hai!" Niranjana said peeking out.

"Yuvraj Ashutosh ka aadesh hi ke mai dekhu ki aap surakshit hai" Arun whispered.

"Me surakshit hi rahungi, mujhe kya hoga? Aur ha Jyeshta se bol do ki Kushalini ke sar dard ke wajah se wo yaha pe so rahi hai. Bolo ki jab wo uth jaathi hai to me swayam use Saraswati Mahal bhej doongi" Niranjana whispered back.

(Speak softly, Kushalini is asleep.

The crown prince Ashutosh has ordered me to check on you.

I am fine only, what will happen to me? Tell Elder brother that Kushalini is unwell and is sleeping in my room. When she is up I myself will send her)

The soldier went away satisfied and as soon as he went, laughter continued in Niranjana's room.

:~~~:

Here in the Saraswati Mahal, Yudhishtira looked up once again, but this time he couldn't see anything much to his disappointment.

⨇⨈⨇

Please do vote and

COMMENT!

I REALLY WANNA READ SOME FUN COMMENTS!

ragini

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

146K 8K 53
She was a princess, he was a prince, it could have been a simple story but no, life isn't simple and love is not easy and it can never be simple and...
379K 20.9K 74
BOOK 1 OF 'The WAR of Dynasties' SERIES ✨ Princess Chandralekha was born in a royal family and was promised to the wealthiest king, but little did sh...
29.3K 1.9K 22
Suhana, our lively 18-year-old from the 21st century, enjoying her so-called "once-in-a-lifetime" trip with friends. What could go wrong? Well, cue t...
11.9K 619 23
A Prince. A Princess. The Prince falls for the Princess after some mishaps, overcome problems together, and they live happily ever after. Isn't that...