The Eminence in Shadow: The D...

Par Lighningtzzz

Kazuto Kirigaya had finally found the tranquillity he'd longed for. With his beloved circle of dear friends... Plus

Chapter 1: When It All Started
Chapter 2: Pursuit of Shadows
Chapter 3: Clash of Blades and Revelation
Chapter 4: Kirito's Intervention
Chapter 5: Yukime's Resilience
Chapter 6: Mastering Magic and Unlocking Potential
Chapter 7: Whispers in the Shadows
Chapter 8: Undercover Charades
Chapter 9: An Interrupted Date
Chapter 10: Moonlit Pursuit
Chapter 11: Clash of Fates in the Underground Abyss
Chapter 12: Shadows Converge
Chapter 13: Shenanigans Around
Chapter 14: Market Mayhem
Chapter 15: The Unseen Gambit
Chapter 16: Shadows and Synergy
Chapter 17: The Mundane Masquerade
Chapter 18: The Unwanted Charade
Chapter 19: Blades of Defiance
Chapter 20: Bonds of Steel
Chapter 21: Theatrical Intrigues and Daring Rescues
Chapter 22: Cleansing the Shadows
Chapter 23: The Powerful Convergence
Chapter 24: Shadows and Secrets
Chapter 25: Portals and Punishments
Chapter 26: Veiled Prophecies
Chapter 27: A Mission From Mitsugoshi.
Chapter 28: Secrets and Strife
Chapter 30: Dancing with Danger
Chapter 31: The Academy's Incident
Chapter 32: Kirito's Resolve
Chapter 33: Kirito, Shadow And The Mysterious Clock Tower
Chapter 34: Decisions and Departures
Chapter 35: A Day With A Princess
Chapter 36: Ticking Time of Misfortunes
Chapter 37: The Knight and the Enigmatic Spirit
Chapter 38: Kurumi Versus Kirito
Chapter 39: A Pact Sealed in Light and Shadow
Chapter 40: Kirito, Aurora and Cid's Odyssey
Chapter 41: Chains of Aurora's Past
Chapter 42: Confrontation In The Holy Ground

Chapter 29: Kirito's Unexpected Duel

927 41 31
Par Lighningtzzz

Cid staggered to his feet, blood staining his clothes, his legs and hands trembling as he struggled to steady his sword in the relentless match against Rose Oriana. Wiping the blood from his face, he mustered the strength to declare he could continue.

"I can go again," Cid uttered defiantly.

Observing his resilience, Rose remarked, "I've lost count of how many times you've risen, Cid Kageno. Your soul is unbreakable."

Rose's eyes blazed with determination as she channelled magic into her sword, the blade glowing with an ethereal light. Shifting into an offensive stance, she confronted Cid with newfound intensity.

"I apologize, Cid Kageno. I underestimated you," Rose admitted, her voice firm. "Now, prepare for a proper fight."

The referee, noticing the heightened tension, nervously wiped the sweat from their brow and glanced at Cid, who smirked confidently at Rose. Unfazed, the referee muttered, "That guy is more than stupid. He has no idea what's coming."

Interrupting the impending clash, the referee hurriedly rushed between them, announcing, "The match is finished! Rose Oriana is the winner."

The crowd erupted in cheers, an ocean of voices praising Rose Oriana's triumphant victory. Rose graciously acknowledged her supporters, waving at the elated spectators with a genuine smile.

Amidst the cheers, Cid stood disappointed, a mix of exhaustion and frustration etched across his face. Rose approached him, her sword now at ease.

"Your determination is unmatched, Cid Kageno," Rose commended sincerity in her voice. "I've never faced someone so courageous. You truly are a man of valour."

Later on...
"You are way too stupid."

Kirito frowned at Cid, his tone stern. "Getting involved in some shady deal just for a bit of money to enrol more people in the Bushin Festival's preliminaries? You're not only embarrassing yourself, but you're dragging both of us down with your recklessness. We can't afford to compromise our integrity for a quick payout."

"Calm down, Kirito," Cid chuckled, adjusting his stance. "You've got your sword skills, and this isn't your first public brawl. Besides, you handle a blade like a pro."

Kirito raised an eyebrow, unimpressed. "Doesn't change the fact that your schemes are questionable at best."

Cid grinned mischievously. "Well, if you're so concerned about embarrassment, maybe you should check out my highlight reel with Rose Oriana. I've been the star of some epic embarrassment moments."

Kirito sighed, shaking his head. "That's not something to be proud of, Cid."

Undeterred, Cid continued, "And here I thought getting beat up in public was an art form."

Suddenly, Kirito approached Cid with a serious expression. In a swift motion, he undid all of Cid's bandages in an instant.

Cid winced, feigning pain. "Ouch! What are you doing, Kirito?"

Kirito narrowed his eyes at Cid, a smirk playing on his lips. "Nice try, Cid. You're not wounded at all. This whole act, the blood, the struggle – it's all a performance."

Cid looked at Kirito with a surprised expression, realizing he had been caught.

"Seriously, Cid," Kirito continued, "you've been messing around this whole time, haven't you? The match with Rose, the blood, it was all just a show."

Cid scratched his head, grinning sheepishly. "Well, you know, drama adds spice to the fight."

Kirito sighed, shaking his head. "You have enough bravery to play around in a serious situation, Cid. If you put that energy into actually fighting, who knows? You might have beaten Rose for real."

Looking thoughtful, Kirito added, "I can't decide if you're utterly stupid or if you genuinely don't know your true power."

Cid chuckled, "Maybe a bit of both, Kirito."

Cid, contemplating Kirito's insights, thought, (Well, Kirito might be way smarter than the average NPC.)

Before he could finish his thought, Kirito interjected, "But let's be clear, Cid, being less dumb than others doesn't make you a genius. You're still undeniably dumb."

Cid rolled his eyes, about to retort, but their attention was diverted as the match announcer declared, "Next up, Kirito Kuroha!"

Kirito sighed, "We'll continue this conversation later, Cid. Right now, I've got to deal with these preliminaries nonsense."

In the grand arena...
As Kirito confidently strolled into the grand arena, the crowd erupted in cheers, creating a symphony of excitement. He gracefully waved at the spectators, basking in the adoration.

Suddenly, a chorus of voices rang out, declaring, "It's Kirito! The one who defeated a Knight Order member and saved Princess Alexia!" The cheers grew louder, turning the arena into a shrine of Kirito worship.

A group of girls, their voices rising above the rest, began gushing about Kirito's "cute face" and deemed him a "knight in shining armour." One even shouted, "I wish he could save me from some bad guys too!"

However, on the other side of the spectrum, a bunch of envious guys couldn't handle Kirito's popularity with the ladies. Boos and insults filled the air, creating a cacophony of discontent.

One disgruntled guy yelled, "Who does he think he is, stealing all the attention? Probably has hair more polished than his sword!"

Another one chimed in, "Look at him, acting all heroic. I bet he even saves kittens from trees on weekends!"

Despite the mixed reactions, Kirito continued to wave with a playful grin, seemingly unfazed by the comedic spectacle of envy and admiration. The grand arena had transformed into a theatre of absurdity, with Kirito playing the unwitting star in a chaotic comedy of conflicting emotions.

Kirito took his position in the grand arena, observing the chaos of adoration and envy surrounding him. With a smirk, he mumbled to himself, "Well, looks like the fan club and the haters society are both in full swing today."

Hoping for an easy match, he muttered, "Maybe I'll get lucky and face someone weak. Make it quick, you know?"

As if the universe had a sense of humour, the match announcer's voice boomed, "And now, stepping into the arena, a prodigy with a bright future, a contender for the Bushin Festival crown! Let's welcome Claire Kageno!"

Kirito's eyes widened in disbelief, and he exclaimed, "This is the opposite of bingo!"

Cid glanced at his sister Claire making her entrance into the arena from the crowd and remarked, "Well, looks like someone's Canon Event is happening."

He chuckled and continued, "Definitely not mine, though." Then, with a casual wave, Cid made his way out of the grand arena, leaving the unfolding events behind.

Claire stood in front of Kirito, her cheeks tinted with a gentle pink hue. Her eyes flitted nervously, avoiding direct contact with Kirito as she fidgeted with the hem of her dress. In a display of shyness, she mustered the courage to make a quick, fleeting eye contact with Kirito.

"Um, hi, Kirito," she stammered, a smile playing on her lips.

Kirito, recalling their previous encounter, felt a sudden rush of embarrassment. He scratched the back of his head, his expression mirrored Claire's unease. "Hey, Claire," he replied, a sheepish grin spreading across his face.

The referee stepped forward, a stern expression on their face. "Are you both ready?" they asked, looking at Kirito and Claire.

Claire hesitated for a moment, then spoke up, "Um, Kirito, I... I won't go too hard on you, okay? Let's just keep it simple and not make things more complicated. I hope you understand."

Kirito raised an eyebrow, contemplating Claire's words. (Is she implying she can beat me easily?) he wondered, a hint of confusion in his eyes. (Or is she just trying to spare me from embarrassment out of pity, thinking I have a crush on her?)

As Kirito contemplated, the referee announced, "The match has started!"

Considering his priorities, Kirito decided it might be best to go along with Claire's request and let her win, especially given his concerns for Sherry's safety as his top priority. He adopted a defensive stance, allowing Claire to take the initiative in the match.

Claire, determined and focused, launched the first attack with a swift strike towards Kirito. He skillfully blocked the attack, stepping backwards with agility to maintain his balance. The clash of their swords echoed through the grand arena, captivating the audience's attention.

The intensity of their sword fight escalated as Claire continued her assault, each movement deliberate and precise. Kirito, still in a defensive stance, strategically parried her strikes, showcasing his expertise in the art of swordplay.

The dance of blades unfolded with a rapid exchange of attacks and blocks. Claire's eyes sparkled with determination, while Kirito's focused gaze revealed a thoughtful strategy behind his defensive manoeuvres. The crowd watched in awe as the two skilled fighters engaged in a captivating display of skill and technique.

As the match progressed, Kirito began to subtly guide the flow of the fight, allowing Claire to lead while maintaining control over the pace. The grand arena became a stage for their synchronized movements, blending power and finesse in a captivating duel.

Kirito smirked to himself, thinking, "Well, since everyone seems to have high expectations, might as well give them a show." He decided to play along and give Claire a bit of a challenge before planning to gracefully let her win.

As the duel continued, Kirito, amid his calculated performance, caught sight of Princess Alexia in the crowd. Suddenly, his confident demeanour wavered, and he mumbled to himself, "Wait, is that... Alexia?"

Alexia, with a fake smile that could rival a theatre mask, subtly gestured to Kirito, as if warning him. In a comedic fashion, she mouthed, "Remember, dear Mentor, if you dare hold back and lose intentionally, I might just have to spill the tea on some of your deepest, darkest secrets."

Kirito's eyes widened in mock horror, realizing the stakes were higher than he thought. Amid the grand arena's spectacle, he whispered, "Well, looks like I'm in for a real 'sword'-swallowing act if I mess this up."

Alexia, watching the ongoing match with a furrowed brow, mumbled to herself, "I can't afford for Kirito to lose intentionally. People might start questioning my training if even my teacher can't secure a victory."

As she pondered the potential consequences, she heard a familiar voice behind her. "What did I miss?" a curious Iris Midgar inquired.

Alexia turned to see her sister, Iris, completely excited about the ongoing match. She raised an eyebrow and asked, "What brings you here, Sis?"

Caught off guard, Iris struggled to find the right words. People around them began whispering, finding it strange for Iris to be interested in the preliminaries.

Trying to justify her presence, Iris stammered, "I just got curious, you know? Heard there were some impressive participants this year."

The whispers continued, with some sceptical glances directed towards Iris. Alexia, sensing the tension, sighed and replied, "Well, enjoy the show, then."

Claire took a moment to catch her breath, her chest rising and falling with each inhale. She looked at Kirito with a mixture of admiration and apprehension.

"Kirito, you're really skilled," she admitted, her voice a gentle whisper. "But I'm afraid this is where it ends for you."

Kirito let out a heavy sigh, his demeanour suddenly sombre. "Maybe you're right," he mumbled, catching Claire off guard. "Perhaps it's better if we just end it all right now."

Silence hung between them, the weight of their words lingering in the air. Suddenly, Kirito's demeanour shifted. Locking eyes with Claire, he adopted an offensive stance for the first time in the match.

"Here we go," Kirito declared, surprising Claire with his sudden change in approach.

Claire's eyes widened in astonishment as Kirito unleashed a flurry of precise and rapid attacks. His movements were a blend of grace and power, catching Claire off guard. She struggled to keep up, realizing that Kirito had been holding back during their previous exchanges.

Claire, slightly breathless, looked at Kirito with a mix of surprise and realization. "You were holding back, weren't you? Because you didn't want to hurt me?"

Suddenly, Kirito appeared in front of Claire, his sword poised for an attack. "Don't lose focus."

Claire, determined not to be caught off guard, swiftly blocked Kirito's attack and gracefully stepped back, maintaining her balance. She looked at him with newfound determination.

"If you're willing to fight me with all your might, then I'll do the same," Claire declared, her eyes gleaming with resolve.

She imbued her sword with magic, the blade glowing with a radiant light. A confident smirk adorned Claire's face as she prepared for the intensified clash that awaited them in the grand arena.

As Kirito swiftly vanished from Claire's sight, a moment of tension hung in the air. Claire, however, remained composed, her senses heightened. She closed her eyes, focusing on the subtle shifts in the air and the faint vibrations beneath her feet.

Suddenly, she sensed Kirito's presence behind her. Reacting instinctively, Claire spun around, her sword meeting Kirito's in a resounding clash. The grand arena echoed with the intensity of their exchange, and the crowd gasped in surprise at the sudden escalation of the match.

Their swords clashed with such force that cracks began to form on the ground beneath them. Claire's eyes widened, realizing the magnitude of Kirito's true abilities. The once-controlled duel transformed into a chaotic dance, with each strike threatening to shatter the very foundation of the arena.

The crowd watched in awe as Kirito and Claire engaged in a fierce battle, their swords creating sparks that illuminated the arena like fireworks.

Alexia watched from her seat, her eyes widening in surprise as Kirito unleashed a level of skill and intensity she hadn't expected. "He's actually putting more effort into this," she muttered, a hint of amazement in her voice.

As Kirito continued to engage Claire with newfound vigour, Alexia observed closely. "He hasn't taken the fight seriously yet. Not a single ounce of his magic has been used," she remarked to herself, realizing that Kirito had yet to reveal the full extent of his abilities.

Amid the intense swordplay, Iris Midgar couldn't contain her excitement. She jumped up from her seat, clapping her hands enthusiastically. "Kirito Kuroha is truly exceptional! His swordsmanship is mesmerizing," she exclaimed, her eyes sparkling with admiration.

Turning to Alexia, Iris added, "This is the first time I've seen him fight. I can't believe I've been missing out. I want to fight against him too!"

Alexia slapped her forehead, exasperated, and thought, (Of course, Iris came here to see Kirito too.)

As the dust settled, Claire wiped away her sweat, collecting her breath. Determination sparkled in her eyes as she whispered to herself, "I can't give up now, not when I'm the person Cid looks up to."

With renewed resolve, Claire got into her stance, sensing Kirito walking slowly towards her from the dissipating dust, his blade gleaming.

"I've finally made up my mind about your feelings," Claire declared, her voice echoing in the grand arena.

She shouted to Kirito, "I'll take into full consideration your feelings, but I'll only give you a true answer if you can defeat me!"

"Wait, Claire, this is all a big misundersta—"

Before Kirito could finish his sentence, Claire, caught up in the heat of the moment, swung her sword with a powerful slash, dispersing the dust and cutting short Kirito's attempt to explain.

Claire looked around, expecting to see Kirito, but he seemed to have vanished again. Her eyes widened in surprise as she scanned the arena.

Suddenly, Kirito reappeared right in front of her, catching Claire off guard. "This is where it ends," Kirito declared with a determined expression.

Claire, shocked and unable to react in time, found herself at a disadvantage. Before she could gather herself, Kirito began to imbue his sword with magic, a sight that surprised both the audience and Claire.

However, just as Kirito started channelling his magic, he felt a strange sensation. His magical energy began to vanish, and when he looked at his sword, it was full of cracks, and on the verge of shattering. A sense of urgency swept over Kirito as he realized his sword couldn't withstand the magical power he was attempting to unleash.

In a split-second decision, Kirito halted his magical infusion, trying to salvage what remained of his sword.

Claire, seizing the opportunity, reacted swiftly. With a determined expression, she lunged forward, her sword slashing through the air with precision. Kirito, caught off guard by the sudden turn of events, attempted to block her attack.

In an attempt to counter Claire's strike, Kirito poured his magical energy into his sword, but the cracks on the blade multiplied, signalling its imminent demise. As Claire's sword connected with Kirito's, the clash echoed through the arena.

In a split-second decision, Kirito realized the potential danger of his crumbling sword. With a quick motion, he withdrew all his magic, hoping to prevent a catastrophic explosion. However, this left him vulnerable to Claire's relentless assault.

Despite Kirito's efforts to block, Claire's sword found its mark. With a resounding crack, Kirito's sword shattered into fragments, leaving him defenceless against Claire's final strike.

The referee, witnessing the dramatic exchange, hurriedly stepped forward and declared, "The match is finished! Claire Kageno is the winner!"

The crowd erupted in a mix of gasps and cheers, witnessing the unexpected outcome of the intense duel. Claire, panting slightly, stood victorious over the shattered remnants of Kirito's sword.

Kirito rubbed the back of his head with an awkward chuckle. "Well, that didn't go exactly as planned," he admitted, glancing at the shattered pieces of his sword.

Claire, approaching with a triumphant smile, remarked, "You were formidable, Kirito, but it seems that wasn't enough to defeat me."

Kirito scratched his head, a playful grin on his face. "You're strong, Claire, but this isn't over. I'll bounce back, just wait."

Claire blushed slightly, trying to maintain her composure. "If you're truly committed to winning, then I'll definitely consider your feelings," she teased, struggling to find the right words.

Kirito, not catching the underlying meaning, asked, "Wait, what did you say?"

Claire, now flustered, stumbled over her words. "I, um, I said nothing! Just focus on getting a new sword, okay?"

Lutheran watched Kirito from the crowd, his expression stoic and serious. Observing the intense battle and the eventual shattering of Kirito's sword, he shook his head in disapproval.

After the match, Lutheran commented, "Kirito Kuroha, for all his flashy moves, is nothing more than a weakling. A true warrior would never let their weapon crumble under the pressure of a battle."

Special Swords:
In the Bushin Festival, swords are required to be imbued with magic to maintain their condition during battles. This magical infusion acts as a protective barrier, keeping the blades polished and sturdy. Kirito, accustomed to his Dark Slime Elucidator, didn't anticipate the need for magical reinforcement, resulting in his sword weakening and ultimately shattering during the intense duel with Claire.

Magic Explosion:
In this world, attempting to infuse magic into an object that cannot withstand it results in a catastrophic explosion. Whether it's a sword, a ring, or any other item, pushing magical boundaries beyond an object's capacity can lead to its destructive demise. Kirito's careful decision to halt the magical infusion during the match was a strategic move to prevent such an explosive outcome, showcasing his awareness of the risks involved in wielding magical artefacts.

Who Doesn't Love Money:
Cid, unaware of Lutheran's true intentions, was deceived by one of Lutheran's underlings into signing up Kirito for the Bushin Festival. The plan was orchestrated to allow Lutheran to observe Kirito's skills firsthand and assess his true prowess in the arena.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

71.5K 2.7K 37
Shiroi Kaslana is a woman who has always desired more out of life than the humdrum reality she finds herself in. To her, the world has always seemed...
264K 5.9K 38
While Claire Kagenou works among the Crimson Order, The Shadow Monarch, Kagari Kagenou watches and over their idiot little brother Cid Kagenou and hi...
74.9K 2.8K 23
"What exactly are you?" "I'm a demon, wait no... That will be an understatement... I'm the Devil of the Flame Underworld." ---------- "Love, huh? I'v...
5.4K 342 102
Elysia has lived countless lives, constantly reincarnating into another world. Sometimes she picks the world, other times the goddess gives her a mis...