Primeval's Twist (A Primeval...

By SherlockPhones

Katherina Dracula has been there from the start. Her father, being one of Professor Nick Cutter's closest fri... More

Chapter 1: The British Museum (part 1)✔️✔️
Chapter 2: The British Museum (part 2)✔️✔️
Chapter 3: The Abandoned House (part 1)✔️✔️
Chapter 4: The Abandoned House (part 2)✔️✔️
Chapter 5: Helen's Hospital (part 1)✔️✔️
Chapter 6: Helen's Hospital (part 2)✔️✔️
Chapter 7: The Airport & The Fake Anomaly (part 1)✔️✔️
Chapter 8: The Airport & The Fake Anomaly (part 2)✔️✔️
Chapter 9: Fungus (part 1)✔️✔️
Chapter 11: Birdy Escape (part 1)✔️✔️
Chapter 12: Birdy Escape (part 2)✔️✔️
Chapter 13: Dracorex In Shining Armour (part 1)✔️✔️
Chapter 14: Dracorex In Shining Armour (part 2)✔️✔️
Chapter 15: A Dead Future (part 1)✔️✔️
Chapter 16: A Dead Future (part 2)✔️✔️
Chapter 17: Camping With Rhinos (part 1)✔️✔️
Chapter 18: Camping With Rhinos (part 2)✔️✔️
Chapter 19: Don't Leave Me Behind (part 1)✔️✔️
Chapter 20: Don't Leave Me Behind (part 2)✔️
Sequel (part 1)
Sequel (part 2)

Chapter 10: Fungus (part 2)✔️✔️

1.6K 36 32
By SherlockPhones

10/7/15

I don't own any of primeval, it's plot or characters unfortunately. However, Katherina and her family are mine. All credit and rights go to impossible pictures.

I stayed up specifically late so I could post this. Be thankful💁

Picture is Katherina's car, 2008 Ronn Scorpion. Dream car😍

~~~~~~~~~~

"Do I really want to ask why you had 10 flamethrowers in your personal arms?" Lester asked as we walked to load them into the cars.

I looked at him and flashed him a sweet smile. "What you don't know, can't hurt."

He rolled his eyes and muttered. "Thought so."

"These things are going to be even better." Connor walked into the garage with a flamethrower in each hand. "It's going to incinerate it."

Danny smiled as he followed him.

"Wow, what do you think you're doing?" Lester spoke as he saw Danny heading to the car.

"What does it look like I'm doing?"

"Oh yes that's a great idea," Lester's tone screamed sarcasm. "Let's send the criminal out on the city streets with a flamethrower."

"I'm not a criminal." Danny spoke with a frown.

"Well you broke in here." Lester retorted.

"Yeah, and I didn't steal anything did I?"

"You're splitting hairs, the point is a) you should be in custody and b) you're not part of this team."

"He's done a pretty good job for us," Connor butted in. "Twice."

"Three times." I corrected.

"We need all the help we can get Lester," Sarah strode over. "You're going to have to trust him."

"Oh great," Lester folded his hands behind his back. "You've been here 5 minutes and I've already got a mutiny on my hands." Lester looked at Danny. "Do you know how to use that thing?"

"Well," he tilted his head to the side. "No, but how hard can it be?"

"Right," Lester started. "He goes, you three geniuses stay here."

"You're kidding, I so wanted to use this." Connor whined, referring to the flamethrower in his hands.

"Dude they're my weapons." I added.

"You can find a way to stop this thing before it affects anyone else!" Lester raised his voice slightly. "I don't want anymore fungus the bogey men."

Danny started the car as we all moved out of his way. Lester turned to him and called out. "The management takes no responsibility for personal loss or injury!"

Danny simply drove off as we all headed inside.

Sarah and I stood facing the lab, having no idea where Connor had drifted off to.

"Abby is so gonna kill us." I whispered as I looked at her fungus covered plants.

Sarah leant forward with her chin resting on her hands.

"Yep."

I looked into the room and saw movement towards the vent in the back.

"Sid?! That's where you are."

Sid barked at the glass.

"Great now I have to go back in."

I zipped my biohazard suit back up, forgetting my helmet in my rush to get to Sid. I opened the door and crept towards the vent where Sid hid.

"Sid what are you doing sweetie, stop messing around."

I speak to animals more nicely than humans, to be honest. I find them easier to get along with.

I jumped on the counter next to the vent. "Come down from there you! This isn't funny."

I jumped forward to try and grab him, knocking something off the side and onto the floor. I looked down to see what I had dropped and noticed it was the solution Connor had tested on the fungus. Where the solution had dropped, the fungus came back and began to multiply.

"Katie!" Sarah slapped her hand on the glass.

It crept up the counter to my feet, leaving me cornered. My heart began to beat rapidly as shock took over.

"Katie get out of there now!" Sarah screamed.

"What we thought was ash is just millions of spores!" I shouted back. "It's reproducing itself, if it gets into The ARC we're finished!"

I stepped higher to try and avoid the fungus.

"Fire won't kill it!" Sarah panicked.

"Listen," I tried to calm myself. "Tell Danny if he tries to burn it, it's going to spread through half of London."

Sarah immediately picked up her phone to call Jenny.

"Jenny!" She said as the phone answered. "Don't use the flamethrowers.... No! No listen!... The call broke off she couldn't hear what I was saying!"

"Keep trying!" I shouted.

She tried again and as soon as Jenny answered the phone: "DO NOT USE THE FLAMETHROWERS! FIRE DOESN'T WORK!"

"Did they hear!?"

"Yes!" Sarah sighed as she placed her phone down.

The fungus continued to creep closer to me and I continued to try and avoid it.

"What is it now?" Lester's voice came from the other side or the glass.

"Heat," I whispered to myself. "It likes heat... Well logically..."

I reached up to the vent and pulled down a metal pole. I reached to the fridge below me and smashed it open with the pole. The fungus around it immediately began to disintegrate.

"We can freeze it!" I smiled. "Sarah we can freeze it! Turn the temperature gaze to as low as it will go!"

"What about you? You'll freeze to death!"

"No Katherina!" Lester growled.

"Do it!" I ignored him. "I'll be fine."

I continued opening the fridges.

Sarah walked to the temperature controller and told it to drop. I stood in the corner on top of the fridges and prayed it would work.

~~~~~~~~~~

It had only been around 2 minutes and I already couldn't feel my fingers. My body shook, seeking heat, and my lips turned blue and trembled. I've always preferred and worked better in cold, so I know any normal person would probably be reduced to their knees by now. I suppose that's one good thing about it being me and nobody else stuck in here.

"C-carry on!" I shouted to Sarah.

She moved it down even more.

After another 2 minutes my muscles gave way and I fell to my backside, knees in front of me and arms wrapped around my middle. Frost had begun to form around me and was no doubt picking up in my hair.

I picked a bad day to wear a low cut top.

Another two minutes and I could no longer move. My eyes only opened half way and I could no longer focus on anything, I merely drifted in and out if consciousness.

"Come on Katie..." Lester stood at the glass, hands together in front of his lips.

"It's dying." Sarah pointed out. "Come on give us a sign..."

I noticed the final fungus disintegrate and poured my strength into lifting my arm so they could see. Black spots swirled in my vision at the effort but they saw.

"Right, get her out of there!" Lester shouted.

Security piled in and lifted me from the room. I was fairly sure I was frozen solid.

"Alright, where are those blankets, come on!?" Sarah screamed.

Connor rushed over with a foil blanket and he and Sarah wrapped it around me while Lester knelt in front of me.

"Katherina?" Lester spoke slowly.

"I'm f-fine." I gritted.

He looked at me for a moment before snapping into action.

"Alright let's get a refrigerated truck to the others." He walked away.

"Oh yeah, w-where were you while I-I was risking my t-toes for your D-Diictodon?" I spoke to Connor, teeth chattering.

"Oh you know, stopped for coffee." He chuckled.

~~~~~~~~~

I've finally warmed up and can feel all fingers and toes. Yay. Connor, Sarah and I finally came up with a plan to get rid of this thing. People rushed around the hub, moving things and people while we tried to clear it. We connected foil tubes to the air conditioning and led them into the hub. Our plan was to turn the place into a freezer and force the fungus creature in here.

"Sarah, you're on!" Connor shouted for Sarah to turn the temperature down to the minuses.

She did and Connor cheered as cold air began pouring in.

"It's working." He spoke to Lester and I. "In a few minutes this place is going to be colder than the North Pole."

Everyone filed out the room.

"I'll ring Danny." I said as I picked up my phone.

I put him on speaker for Connor to hear.

"There's pretty much everyone out now," I spoke as I heard Danny answer. "We're dropping the temperature in the main room, you need to keep the creature there until we're ready for it."

"When I give the word," Connor continued. "You need to get the creature into the main operations area so we can freeze it."

"You make it sound so simple." Danny spoke sarcastically.

"Listen Danny we're going to need a little more time, I reckon 5 minutes will do."

"Got it."

Suddenly a loud bang came over the phone.

"About 30 seconds."

"Huh?" Connor and I spoke in unison.

There was a long pause before: "We've lost it."

"What!?" We shouted.

"Oh yeah, no," Danny began nonchalantly. "It's definitely in the building, we just don't know where."

~~~~~~~~~

Connor, Sarah and I stood in the main corridor as Danny, Jenny, Abby and Becker strode towards us.

"Guys listen up," Connor spoke. "The creature is going to be hiding somewhere dark. We need to find it, force it down this corridor and through those doors."

"How do we do that?" Abby spoke.

"Freezing carbon dioxide." I smiled.

Connor pointed to the fire extinguishers by his side as the team moved to grab them.

"Whatever you do," Connor continued. "Don't let it touch you."

"I wasn't thinking of shaking hands with it." Danny said dryly.

Becker, Danny, Sarah and Jenny began running to find it while Abby turned to me.

"Right, there's two extinguishers in the office area."

We both ran to the hub to find them.

As we stepped through the doors we both slowed at how cold it was. We looked around, the place converted in frost, and shared a look.

"Ohhh," Abby sighed. "The temperature is dropping... Fast."

I nodded in agreement, clouds coming from our mouths as we breathed.

"Let's find these things and get out of here." I shuddered.

It didn't take long to find the extinguishers, and as Abby and I moved to leave my phone rang.

"Go on ahead." I spoke to Abby before placing my extinguisher on the floor and answering my phone.

"Danny?" I answered.

"Katie, good news. The creature is heading straight back to the operations room."

I froze.

"But I'm still in here..." I whispered.

"Kate get out of there..." His voice held dread. "GET OUT OF THERE NOW!"

I heard a gurgling noise as I put the phone down and slid it into my pocket. I slowly turned towards the sound, and saw the creature standing directly before me.

"God I'm sick of you fuckers." I growled. "And the cold."

Abby appeared in the window of the lab as I tried to bend slowly and grab my extinguisher from the floor.

I grasped it in my hand as the creature came closer.

"Katie!" Abby shouted as I made to run away from the creature.

The creature followed, blocking off the door and my escape.

"Abby stay there!" I shouted as I noticed her come towards the door.

I began to panic, watching the creature in front if me and not seeing a way out.

Okay seriously? The one day I'm unarmed and get the opportunity to use my kick-ass martial arts skills, yet I can't touch the bloody thing.

Great.

I ripped the pin out of my extinguisher as I squeezed the handle, pointing the hose towards the creature. I blasted it with cold air as the creature began to thrash and shake. The others appeared in the window.

"What's going on?" Connor's voice came over the open intercom.

The creature kept trying to get forward to me, but was pushed back by the frozen air coming from my extinguisher.

And again, the cold was beginning to seep into my bones, slowing my movements and reaction times.

"It's trying to find heat!" Connor shouted.

"Katie's freezing in there." Becker spat, anger and worry flushing through him.

"It's Kate's body heat, it's trying to get to her." Danny spoke lowly.

The creature kept trying to find a way around the air to get to me. I backed towards the ADD, wondering when this thing would start to bloody freeze.

"Come on!" Abby begged.

Then my worst nightmare happened. The extinguisher began spluttering.

It had ran out.

The creature roared as it realised there was no more air attacking it.

"KATIE!" Becker screamed as he slapped his hands against the window.

The cold began to get to my brain again, as the temperature continued to drop. My body immediately became sluggish as the adrenaline wore off. Spots fought across my vision and I stumbled backwards into the side of the ADD.

This is it. I've been defeated by a giant mushroom. That is my legacy. I'm glad I don't have to see my own grave stone.

Becker's POV:

I watched, helpless as her extinguisher ran out and she stumbled backwards from the cold.

"No stay on your feet Katie!" Connor, Abby and Danny screamed.

Jenny began to cry as Lester arrived, seeing the situation he began shouting.

She collapsed to the floor, her back against the side of the ADD and faced the creature. She was paler than paper with rosy cheeks and a rosy nose. That was the only colour and it wasn't good colour.

I felt dread take up housing in my stomach as pressure that I hadn't felt since childhood built up behind my eyes. I've never been so god damn helpless. She can't go now, not when I never got to tell her... Not after I stupidly pushed her away.

Katie picked up the extinguisher and tried to raise it, but found she couldn't lift her arms, let alone swing.

"It's going to kill her." Connor whispered.

"TURN OFF THE COLD AIR!" Lester ordered.

"The creature isn't dead yet!" Sarah argued.

"Katie's going to die if we don't!" Danny and Abby cried together.

The creature stormed towards her as the extinguisher dropped out of her hand. It closed in on her, hand outstretched and I didn't let myself see if it touched.

"No!" I bellowed as I ran out the door and into the hub.

"Becker!" Abby shouted.

"OI!" I screamed as I entered, extinguisher in my hand.

I sprayed it in the air and tried to get it's attention.

"OVER HERE!"

I ran towards it as it turned away from Katie's limp body, arm spun out to hit me. I ducked, it's arm just missing me and spat in it's face.

"Pick on someone your own size!"

I smacked the bottom of the extinguisher in it's face and it was knocked backwards. It swung at me a couple more times and again, I just managed to dodge. I tried spraying in it's face and found the extinguisher wouldn't work. I threw it to the side, useless, just glad that I managed to get the thing away from Katie before it took my life.

It reached out it's hand to touch me, yet it's movements slowed the more it reached. It's hand was centimetres away from my face before it froze completely. Time froze with it, but then not a moment later it disintegrated into a pile of ash.

The guys cheered as they headed into the hub, all of us rushing to Katie. I knelt in front of her and froze.

Fungus was creeping up her face.

"No!" I whispered, my throat dropping into my stomach. "We need to get her out of here!" I shouted in frustration.

"No!" Conor argued. "The only chance she has is if the cold kills the fungus... We wait."

The others nodded in agreement, leaving me to groan helplessly.

I stared at her beautiful face, a face that fungus threatened to take over, and prayed it would stop growing.

"Come on." I whispered. "Please!"

Her body was lifeless, her eyes open and staring into nothing as the fungus continued to take over her skin.

"Screw this!" I shouted, reaching for her.

"No!" Connor pushed me back. "Leave her or she'll end up like that thing over there!"

He looked into my eyes, his hand on my shoulder.

"Trust me."

I followed his instruction and merely knelt as close as I could to her without touching her. I placed my elbows on my knees and did something I haven't done since I was a child.

I prayed.

I prayed that the fungus would go, I prayed that she would live, I prayed that she would be okay, I prayed that it would be me and not her. I begged, I pleaded, I prayed for her... I realised just how much she meant to me and just how much I couldn't have her go like this.

Not when we're arguing, please. God, I've only known her for a few short months but we've been though so much and I really can't afford to lose her. Please, God. I swear if it means me being a man and telling her how I feel I'll do it. If she... No WHEN she wakes up I will tell her exactly how I feel I swear. Just please let her wake up.

I opened my eyes from praying and looked to see the fungus no longer growing up her face. A relief like one I didn't even know existed flew through the room, as the fungus disintegrated off of her. 

"Okay she's clear!" Connor shouted.

The same moment he opened his mouth I dove forward and picked up her cold body in my arms. Abby and Jenny threw blankets around her as we rushed into the lab. Lester swept everything off the table so we could lay her down.

"Take her head!" Danny shouted.

"Hurry," Sarah added. "As long as she's been frozen quickly there's still a chance we can bring her back."

"Keep warming her!" Lester shouted as he worried behind us.

Abby quickly placed an oxygen mark over her face and began to pump it, in time with her own breathing. Sarah quickly attached an IV into her arm as Danny squeezed the liquid into her.

"Anything?" Connor begged.

"No pulse..." Abby whispered in dread.

Tears sprang to my eyes and I didn't even fight them.

They continued pumping and squeezing as Lester prayed out loud for her to open her eyes.

"Not again." Connor begged.

"If she stays like this for another few minutes, we've lost her." Abby said lowly.

I shook my head.

"No. No. You keep trying until you get a pulse."

Connor placed his hand in my shoulder.

"No again," Connor looked up as tears filled his eyes. "Please not again."

"Come on," I placed my hand on her jaw. "Don't die on me now."

We continued like this for another minute. Yet there was no change.

"Anything?" I begged, desperate for her to open her beautiful eyes.

"We've got a pulse!" Abby laughed.

A chorus of "yes" and "whoo" echoed throughout the room.

"Thank you." I whispered.

Abby lifted the oxygen mask from Katie's face as her head began to move from side to side.

"She's coming around!" Danny shouted as I leaped forward and wrapped one of her small, cold hands in my own.

"Hey." I whispered with a smile.

"Kiyo.." She whispered before opening her eyes.

The sound of another man's name on her lips would have usually frozen me, however to be quite honest I couldn't care if she started talking about a party with the devil. I was just too happy to see her eyes, filled with life.

"Not here." Danny whispered sadly.

Okay so he knows who this dude is, what have I missed?

A tear rolled down her cheek, which I softly wiped away with my index finer.

"You can let go of my hand now." She whispered in a weak voice.

"Right," I rubbed her hand before letting go. "Sorry."

"Welcome back." Danny chuckled to which Abby joined in.

"You scared us." Jenny and Connor spoke.

Lester walked around the top of the bed and placed his hand on Katie's forehead.

"You father is going to lynch me..."

Katherina's POV:

It took a good hour before I could properly function, when I could, I walked out into the hub where everyone stood. They all turned to me and I hugged them all one by one, chuckling and teasing. When I came to hugging Becker, he squeezed me as tight as he could, so I almost couldn't breathe. He also didn't seem to want to let go.

"Becker." I choked. "Don't kill me again please."

"Sorry." He whispered as he refused to take his eyes off me.

"You were frozen solid!" Sarah exclaimed.

"Even harder than Becker." Connor snickered.

Becker's face filled with colour, up to the tips of his ears as I laughed loudly. The rest of the team stared, confused as they didn't know what he was referring to.

Suddenly, Christine Johnson entered the room as Lester walked down from his office.

"Glad you could join us on such short notice!" Lester greeted her. "Now, Christine. I thought about it and I decided that you were right. I am going to need a man like Captain Wilder to replace Cutter."

She smirked in triumph.

"Well, I'm glad you've come around to my way of thinking."

There was a pause for a moment.

"Oh not Wilder himself of course," the smile dropped off her face. "He's playing much too vital a role on your staff."

Lester turned to face us.

"Danny Quinn here, is just like him."

Christine turned to face Danny too.

"Background in the police, firearms training, management skills: the perfect choice. I've already cleared it with the minister."

Danny laughed shortly as Christine looked around, angry and displeased. She slapped that fake smile back on her face before stepping up to him.

"Congratulations." She shook his hand. "I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of each other."

Danny simply smiled.

She turned to leave, stoping long enough to glare at me. I smirked at her and mimed punching her in the face with a wink. She flinched and stepped back as I chuckled.

She nodded to Lester before immediately leaving The ARC, Wilder on her tail.

Lester turned back to Quinn.

"I presume that's alright with you?"

"Well if it's alright with the team." He looked around at us.

"Their idea." Lester answered as he turned to go to his office.

"Where's Jenny?" I asked.

The team all looked at each other before looking back at me.

"Is there something you're not telling me...?"

"Or me." Danny chimed as he came to stand next to me.

They continued to look between each other.

"What's going on?" I growled.

~~~~~~~~~~

I ran into the locker room as fast as I could and arrived in time to see Jenny pick her bag up.

"You were going to leave without saying goodbye?" I asked quietly.

She smiled sadly before looking at the ground.

"You can't leave." I whispered desperately. "We're your team."

"No." She smiled. "You guys were Cutter's. And now you're Danny's. I don't belong here anymore."

"Of course you do!" I argued.

"Katie you nearly died today. Cutter did die. Stephen did die. I think I should just quit while I'm ahead. It'll be my turn next."

I shook my head and laughed a humourless laugh.

"I know you. And I knew Claudia Brown. I'm sure there's some perfectly rational explanation." I sat on the bench in the locker room as she joined me.

"Yeah," she said disbelievingly. "That's what I used to think."

"Maybe we've all lived other lives, except the only difference is that Cutter and I remembered yours." I looked at her intently. "But what matters, is who you are now."

"You're absolutely right." She smiled. "And that's exactly why I have to go. Katie I'll always be wondering who I really am. I just need to go and forget about The ARC, forget about the creatures, forget about the anomalies and most of all, forget about Nick Cutter and Claudia Brown."

"You can try to forget it Jenny, but you never will. We have that effect on people."

She tilted her head to the side before standing and grabbing her bag in one hand. She lent forwards and hugged me, giving my shoulders one hard squeeze before straightening.

"Do me a favour Katie," Jenny smiled at me as she turned to leave. "Don't make the same mistake I did. Don't let your soldier get away."

With that she turned through the door frame and exited my sight.

~~~~~~~~~~

I strolled down the corridor on my way home, passing the kitchen where Connor was saying good night to Sid. I looked around the kitchen before turning to Connor, who currently had his back to me.

"Are you living here?" I asked, causing him to freeze up.

He spun around quickly and stared at me, perhaps worried I would tell Lester.

"Yes." He reluctantly admitted. "It's strictly temporary."

"Have you any idea how many health and safety hazards this is causing?" Said Lester from behind me.

We were leaving together, since I'm picking my brother and father up to stay with me for the next couple of days before they go home.

"Sorry." Connor cringed.

I reached into my pocket and pulled out my keys.

"You do know you can ask for a room at mine? We're friends Connor, I've known you as long as Abby has." I dangled my keys in the air.

"Really?" He gasped.

"Really." I smiled.

"Great, now that that's sorted, Connor," Lester turned to leave. "Put some trousers on." He glared over his shoulder at Connor.

Connor looked down in panic and realised he only had his boxers on. I laughed loudly.

"Hurry though Connor, I need to pick my brother and father up."

"Right." He rushed to get his stuff together as I crawled over to Sid's cage.

"I have a little play mate you're going to have a lot of fun with!" I smiled at him. "She's a girl but I didn't realise that when I named her, so let's pretend that Diddle is a girls name."

I chuckled as he barked in happiness, hoping I wouldn't come to regret this choice.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.6K 472 36
When a dark and powerful entity threatens the very fabric of space and time and puts the entire system of multiverses in peril a team of special char...
30.6K 862 11
*Completed* When Y/N finds her life completely flipped upside down and her world completely shattered, she must decide wether to continue pushing fo...
75 0 19
After the events of the Unquiet Woods, Danny Quinn back from the past but now finds himself stranded in another country during a global pandemic. Bef...
25.4K 4.1K 62
❝The universe is full of stars. If it weren't for them, the galaxies wouldn't be bright and the night sky would be a lifeless veil of blue because on...