Love at Sea (Finnick Odair)

By BeachSunshine

โFinnick and Taiya have kept up with their training more than any other tribute,.โž Haymitch said shaking his... More

Cast
Playlist
ACT ONE - The Beginning
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Tributes of the 67th Hunger Games
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
ACT TWO - The Recovery
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
ACT THREE - Catching Fire
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
ACT FOUR - Mockingjay - Part One
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
ACT FIVE: Mockingjay - Part Two
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
ACT SIX - The Aftermath
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3

Chapter 24

2.6K 143 299
By BeachSunshine

"Hey," Taiya waved at Johanna as she stepped around her hospital curtain.

"Hi," Johanna greeted, relieved to have some company before her smile dropped. "Why are Gloss and Plutarch here?" she had to ask. It seemed like a weird trio to be hanging out together.

"Plutarch is my hostage," Taiya immediately explained.

"No, but seriously. Why is Plutarch here?"

"Seriously," Taiya flashed Johanna the knife. "He's my hostage."

"Holy shit. What did you do?" Johanna panicked.

"Oh relax," Taiya waved the knife through the air dismissively as she opened the cabinet next to Johanna's bed. "Here you go, Heavensbee," she aggressively threw some disinfectant at him. "Clean up the nick," she pointed at his throat. "I am headed to the Capitol," she explained to Johanna as she stood back up.

Johanna's eyes widened. She knew how against getting involved Taiya was. "Why would you want to go there?"

Taiya leant her hands on the bed and got close to Johanna's face. "Where's Finnick, Johanna?" she asked.

Johanna didn't answer. But her face dropped in realisation. Taiya had found out. Finnick confided in Johanna; he'd come to say goodbye, but he'd sworn her to secrecy, and Johanna agreed. She thought Finnick should have told her the truth. But now that Finnick was gone, no one could effectively calm Taiya down. So she knew if Taiya found out the truth without him around, it would not go well. Evident by her taking Plutarch hostage.

"Exactly," Taiya smirked. "I'm off to the Capitol to go and scream at my very stupid husband," she stood up. "Plutarch here is being kept under my watchful eye until I'm on that hovercraft."

"I already told you," he sighed as he wiped his throat with the disinfectant. "I won't tell anyone you attacked me. I always thought you getting involved would work to our advantage. I think it's a good, strategic move. I'm not going to ruin that and get you locked up. Not when we're at this stage."

"Yeah, well, you're slippery. You once told me you could get us all out of the arena," she smiled at him sarcastically. "Liar, liar, pants on fire. Anyway Jojo, I just came to say bye. Might come back, might not, who knows!" she laughed to herself, tapping the side of her head lightly to just try and hear one voice and clear out the others. "Did you know Peeta's coming with as well?"

"What?" Johanna's eyes widened. That was a horrible idea. She wanted to jump up and tackle Taiya to keep her there, but she didn't know how that would go with Taiya holding the knife. But when she heard Peeta's name, that train of thought froze. "Peeta?"

"President Coin's idea. Isn't that right Heavensbee?"

"Yes," he nodded stiffly.

"I can't let my little baker boy go alone now, can I? Katniss might kill him," Taiya snorted. "So I'm going to go and scream at my husband, and watch out for a member of the elite trauma bro squad. I'm very, very busy lately. Anywho, must be off. Enjoy the hospital life, tree girl!"

"Taiya! Taiya!" Johanna yelled, but Taiya was already walking away. Johanna was hooked up to so many machines she wasn't able to follow. "Gloss," she pleaded with the man who was lingering.

"I think I may have messed up," he rubbed the back of his neck. "I think she's lost it."

"So knock her out!"

"Well how did you idiots think she was going to react when she found out!" he argued.

"Finnick didn't exactly think ahead on that one," Johanna snapped back. "Blame him."

"Oh, I am," Gloss retorted. "It was a dick move and now I'm stuck with the nut job here. And I am genuinely worried she may kill Pultoarch!"

"His name is Plutarch..."

"What did I say?"

"JUST GO!"

*********************

"Beetroot," Taiya snuck up behind Beetee in the weapons room.

He didn't startle though. "I saw you coming," he revealed, clicking some buttons to show he'd been watching their approach on the security cameras. "Tyler came looking for you earlier. Don't worry. I didn't tell him where you were."

"Now why would you do that?" Taiya tilted her head curiously.

"I disagree with your friend's methods," Beetee explained.

"I'm headed to the Capitol."

"I assumed as much when I saw you with Plutarch," Beetee acknowledged, subtly exchanging a glance with Plutarch.

"Don't look at him," Taiya pulled her knife out.

Beetee rolled his chair back nervously. "Taiya, there's really no need for violence."

"I won't hurt you," Taiya assured. "I will hurt him though if you don't help me out," she pointed the knife over her shoulder in Plutarch's direction.

"I've already said I'm more than happy to help Taiya," Beetee cautiously moved forward.

"Good," she smiled. "I'm going to need all the rest of those cool knives you made for me, please."

Plutarch gave Beetee a nod, signalling to the man that it was ok. "Let me go and get those for you," Beetee rolled his chair away.

Taiya spun around to look at Plutarch. "Sorry about this, Plutarch," she jumped up so she was sitting on a table. "I know how much it sucks to be collateral damage."

"Hey, Tay," Gloss stepped forward. He was about to try and get her under some semblance of control when Beetee reappeared, a nice collection of weapons resting on his lap.

Taiya grinned when she saw the man's loot. "Thanks, Beetroot," she smiled as she took the belt of knives he'd gotten and strapped it around her hips.

"There's a second belt as well," he handed her the other set and she strapped it over her shoulder.

"You know, if I make it back, I owe you a drink," she smiled at her fellow victor.

"No need, Taiya. Just come back in one piece. Both you and Finnick," Beetee replied.

"I will," Taiya nodded. "Although, right now I think I might scare Finnick more than anything in the Capitol," she joked. "How much longer Plutarch?" she asked the older man.

"45 minutes until you need to be at the hangar."

Taiya nodded and stepped closer to Beetee, her voice dropping to a volume just over a whisper. "Where's Tyler and Buck?"

Beetee nodded, immediately turning to his laptop. She wasn't very impressed with either one of the men at that moment, but she couldn't leave without saying goodbye.

"It looks like they went into Compartment D 5 minutes ago," Beetee pointed at the screen, showing them entering the room. "That reminds me," Beetee stuck his hand in his pocket, pulled out a small thumb drive and placed it in her hand.

"What's this?"

"The footage of your wedding. I saved it and then deleted it from the system. That's the only copy," he closed her fingers around it.

"Thank you," she said, and she meant it.

"You better invite me to your proper wedding."

"I will," she nodded. "Thank you Beetee."

"NO!" Beetee yelled suddenly, making Taiya spin around, worried someone was sneaking up on her.

But then she heard the clatter as Gloss dropped the weapon he had picked up.

"Please don't use that one inside," Beetee moved quickly over to snatch the sword up from the floor. "If you hold that just the wrong way you'll blow the whole room up."

"Should probably keep that locked behind a cabinet then, Beetee," Gloss retorted.

"Gloss!" Taiya reprimanded as she walked towards Plutarch. "Don't off me before I even get to the Capitol," she huffed. "Alrighty Plutarch. What's the best order to do this? Uniform, mentors, hangar? Or mentors, uniform, hangar?"

"Uniforms first.

"Let's hop to it then!" Taiya beamed. "Come on shiny boy. Bye Beetee," she waved at him before marching out of the room.

*********************

"I'm not joking Plutarch. This uniform is a joke," Taiya tugged at the sleeves. "I mean who's picking these fabrics."

"I can honestly say you're the only one I've heard complaints from," Plutarch sighed. The entire walk from the storage room to the compartments she'd been complaining. "It's an agile fabric. You'll be able to move well."

"I hate it though," she shook her arm.

Gloss knew what was going on. She wasn't complaining about the uniform. Not really. She was trying to distract herself from the stress she felt about telling Tyler and Buck she was leaving. He watched her fidget with her sleeve one more time before he realised he should probably step in and say something to her.

"Hey," he lowered his head slightly in an attempt to keep their conversation somewhat private from Plutarch. "Not liking the uniform doesn't change the fact that you're worried about how Tyler and Buck will react. I'm not going to lie, they're going to be upset, but they'll understand. They know you."

"I don't want to disappoint them," she mumbled. "I don't want to leave them. But I need to. I hate this."

"I know you do," he tried to be sympathetic. "But sometimes, you've got to prioritise the bigger picture. This conversation is going to suck, but now that you know the truth, you'll lose your marbles if you stay here. They'll come around. You're not abandoning them. You're going after the love of your life. That's important, and they'll see that."

"Thanks for sticking with me today," Taiya smiled up at him.

"Hey if I let you lose unsupervised who knows what you'd do?" he joked as they arrived in front of compartment D. "You going to knock?"

"Let's just get this over with," she groaned, taking a deep breath before knocking on the door of compartment D.

Buck was the one who answered. He let out a sigh of relief when he saw her, at least he and Tyler could stop stressing now. "Tyler, the problem child's back!"

Tyler rushed to the door on his crutches, he'd been tearing out his hair with stress. He had a wide smile on his face that was quickly replaced with a look of horror. He recognised the uniform. "No," he breathed, then noticing Gloss and Plutarch. "What's going on?"

Gloss and Plutarch exchanged glances, silently agreeing they were both staying out of this.

"So funny story actually," Taiya stepped into the room. "Gloss and I snuck into a meeting and got the whole scoop on how the war's going. Turns out, my husband is right there in the Capitol!" she let out a loud gasp. "I was shocked. But you two, are not. Because you've both been keeping me distracted the past few days." Tyler sighed, he knew they'd been caught. And they were in the wrong. "I'm sorry."

"I don't want to hear it right now," Taiya shook her head. "I just came to say bye."

"Taiya please."

"Tyler," Buck placed a hand on the man's shoulder and shook his head. They weren't going to be able to convince her to stay. He then turned to look at Taiya, sorrow evident in his eyes. "You just make sure you come back ok? And bring your husband with you."

"I will," she promised, grabbing Buck and pulling him into a hug.

As they parted, Taiya turned to Tyler, the man who had watched over her like a guardian for years. She stepped forward and enveloped him in a warm hug, holding him tightly.

"Take care of yourself. Please?" Taiya whispered, her voice filled with emotion. "Watch out for each other."

Tyler wasn't able to speak. He knew if he did, he'd cry. Both of the kids he'd looked after were going to be gone, fighting in a war that was started well before their time. So he just tightened his hug on her.

"I'll miss you both, so, so much," she breathed, before attempting to break the hug, but Tyler wouldn't let go. "Hey, you should be glad for the break. It'll be good for your nerves," she tried to joke, but his grip was relentless.

"Tyler," Buck had to intervene to pry the man's arms away from Taiya.

Taiya stepped back, sniffling as she tried to stop herself from crying. "I love you both," she said before leaving the compartment.

"You ok?" Gloss asked cautiously.

She didn't answer him with the sarcastic comment he'd been expecting, she just hugged him.

"Wow, hey, you're not saying bye to me yet," he chuckled.

"Yes I am," she nodded against his shoulder.

"What do you mean?"

Taiya pulled away from the hug, looking into Gloss' eyes with sadness. "I have to do this part on my own."

His eyebrows immediately furrowed as he shook his head. "No, you don't. I can wave you off. We're Team Trouble, remember?"

"We did have some good pranks," Taiya smiled.

"Nothing beats the olive oil one though," Gloss smirked.

A loud gasp from Plutarch made them both grimace. They'd forgotten he was there.

"So it was you two who put the olive oil out front of my door! Haymitch told me it was ridiculous thinking someone was targeting me," he folded his arms and turned to face the wall. "Unbelievable."

"Oops," Gloss chuckled. "Look. I know you're going to get to Finnick. But do your best ok? Wreck hell on those Capitol pricks. Get revenge for us. For Cashmere."

"I promise Gloss. If I cross paths with Lucius Creed, he's a dead man," she assured.

"I hate that guy."

"Everyone does."

*********************

"What are you going to do?" Peeta asked quietly, he'd listened to her fill him in for the past 15 minutes.

"Probably give him a wedgie or something," Taiya dropped her head against the hovercraft, squeezing the boy's hand even tighter.

She'd been holding his hand the entire time. From the first moment they met in the hangar she grabbed onto his hand. He didn't question it. It was a little uncomfortable though with his shackles.

She had to hold his hand or she'd have a panic attack. She didn't know if she'd ever be able to ride in a hovercraft again without panicking. Without having bad memories come bubbling up.

"I'm trying to think of some good opening lines," she told the boy.

"What've you got so far?"

"Well the first one I came up with was just 'Hey idiot, surprised?' but I thought that was a little too obvious."

"You could do better," Peeta agreed.

"How about something like 'Did you miss me, or were you too busy playing hero?' I felt like that was a bit more sassy."

"I think there's a chance Finnick would just hear the 'do you miss me' part," he tried to joke.

"Yeah, you're probably right," Taiya admitted. "Maybe I'll just start with a good old-fashioned 'What the hell were you thinking?' That seems like a safe bet."

"Maybe too safe?" Peeta squeezed her hand. "He needs to know how you feel, but let's not try to start a fight in your head before we've even landed."

"Too late," Taiya chuckled. "He definitely deserves a wedgie though."

"Oh for sure."

"How's 'fancy meeting you here, husband?'"

"Marginally better."

"'I guess war is more important than communication these days'?"

"I like that."

"'Did the Capitol forget to teach you about honesty'?"

"You're on a roll, Taiya."

"I feel like they're all just coming to me now. 'Oh, look there he is, the disappearing hero.' 'Why hi there Soldier Secrecy, did you miss the part where married people share important life decisions?' 'Next time, a simple, 'I'm going off to fight, see you Friday' note would suffice.'"

"He's not going to know what hit him," Peeta shot her a thumbs up with his spare hand.

"That should wipe the smirk off his smug face," Taiya nodded her head. He was going to be hit with a wicked opening line.

As the hovercraft approached its destination, any nerves Taiya had were replaced with a fiery determination. She was ready to face Finnick, armed with a mix of anger, frustration and a large amount of longing that she refused to acknowledge.

*********************

The holo map wasn't completely accurate. They'd found that out to their detriment the other day. One of the Legs sisters had shot at a mislabeled pod. It was meant to unleash a swarm of mutation gnats, which the squad was ready for, but instead, it shot out a sunburst of metal darts. She died instantly.

Now Squad 451 was just hanging out waiting for her replacement to show up. It should be any moment now.

The mood had been sombre. The death of one of their squad members, within a team that wasn't even engaging in combat, reminded everyone just how dangerous the Capitol streets were at the moment.

Finnick glanced at the sky. It was dusk. Not that the colours of the sunset were even visible behind all the smoke.

A grumble of a truck caught everyone's attention. That'd be the replacement. But they couldn't be too sure. Everyone in the squad immediately picked up their weapons, on edge in case it was Peacekeepers.

"451 to base," Jackson consulted on her walkie-talkie. "We've got a truck coming in from the south. Over."

The rest of the team made their way outside, ready for whatever or whoever it was.

"Copy that. Over," Jackson answered. "Stand down everyone, it's friendly. Just the replacement soldier. They've sent us two."

Finnick was right behind Katniss. He'd noticed the way she'd been eyeing off that holo in the last couple of days. She was ready to strike out on her own, so he was determined to keep her in sight. She was his friend but he also didn't want a runaway 17-year-old on his conscience.

The camouflage truck pulled to a stop and the back door opened and the replacement stepped out.

It was Peeta.

Katniss was the first to react, immediately drawing an arrow.

But Peeta wasn't moving towards them. No. He'd turned back to the van and held his hand up to help the other replacement out of the van.

Finnick didn't even need to see them. He had a pretty good idea who it was. His Taiya. How had she found out where he was?

Finnick's heart pounded in his chest as the realisation hit him like a tidal wave. Panic surged through his veins, a wild desperate fear that clawed at his insides. The dangers of the Capitol paled in comparison to the overwhelming dread that gripped him now. This was his literal nightmare. He'd been miserable enough when she hadn't reached out with any calls the whole time he'd been away. But now he felt even worse.

The kindness Peeta was showing this other soldier was what gave it away. That kind of kindness seemed reserved for Taiya alone lately. He wouldn't be helping any random soldier out of the van. No. He was helping Taiya.

He couldn't even comprehend the notion of Taiya being here, in the midst of this chaos and carnage. The woman he loved, the one he'd tried to protect from coming here, now stood on the same treacherous grounds. The smoke-infused air he'd been breathing in for days seemed to thicken as he sucked in a breath.

Katniss glanced back at him, with a confused frown, not having connected the dots yet.

As Peeta helped her out of the van, Finnick's eyes caught the first glimpse of Taiya. The whole squad around him seemed to melt away. He had tunnel vision. His sole focus was on Taiya.

He watched as she looked around, trying to orient herself and work out where exactly they were. And then her gaze brushed over the awaiting squad, immediately hardening as she froze her stare on Finnick.

She ripped her hand out of Peeta's and stormed forward.

Finnick had been frozen with worry for her safety, but now he was jolting as he realised just how much trouble he was in.

"How dare you, Odair!" she yelled, freezing in her spot and grimacing. "Shut up," she turned to Peeta and held a finger towards him in warning. All that rehearsing of zingers and that's what she came up with in the moment? It was disappointing. But her focus didn't stay on Peeta for too long though, she was back marching towards Finnick. "What the hell were you playing at?" she shoved his chest.

Finnick felt the force of her anger in her shove, he saw it in her eyes. He was speechless. He didn't have a clue what to say. He'd been expecting to grovel when he got back home, he hadn't been expecting to beg for forgiveness in the middle of a war, but then again, he hadn't been expecting her here at all.

"I-" he started, but Taiya wasn't interested in hearing excuses.

"You don't get to play the 'I thought I was protecting you' card this time, Finnick," she snapped, her eyes ablaze. "You lied to me. You came here to the Capitol without a word. District 12, my ass. In case you hadn't realised, this is not 12," she waved her hand around. "Snow in 12. You dick!" she shoved him again before glancing over at Katniss. "Oh hey swamp potato, in case you hadn't realised, your boyfriend over there," she gestured to Peeta. "He's Mr Cool. Mine is Mr Idiot Head."

"How about Mr Seaweed Brain?" Finnick nervously chuckled, quickly falling silent when Taiya's glare landed back on him.

"Don't," she shut him up.

"Let's just... can we talk inside please?" Finnick tried to usher her away from the squad, it wasn't exactly the way he wanted to go about this discussion. Having every squad member listen in on their biggest fight.

"You don't want to touch me right now," Taiya warned, her eyes narrowing at him when his hand got too close to her.

"Ok," he held his hands up. "I won't. But let's," he gestured inside.

"Fine," Taiya nodded before she looked at the squad members around them. She hadn't paid them much attention, but now that she looked, she noticed all their weapons were pointed at Peeta. "Drop your weapons or you'll have me to deal with," she hissed.

Peeta was being led closer to the squad, but no one was relaxing. He had no manacles at this point. No guards. And he had a gun. The closer he got, the more on edge everyone got.

"Hey stop!" Gale warned and Katniss drew her bow and aimed it.

Now Finnick knew he needed some brownie points with Taiya right now, but he also knew what was right. So he was moving forward to defend the younger boy.

"Hold up," Finnick walked towards Peeta, holding his arm out to try and keep Gale and Katniss at bay. "Everyone relax."

"What are we doing?" Gale asked, turning to Boggs.

"Jackson, cuff him. Take the gun," Boggs stormed inside.

This was not the replacement they'd been expecting. An angry, unstable wife, and an unstable bread boy.

Jackson walked towards Peeta, pulling cuffs out of her belt. "Soldier this is just a precaution. Until we can get everything straightened out. Yeah?" she spoke softly to him.

He just nodded, holding out his hands as he muttered to himself.

Finnick glanced back at Taiya, hoping to see some relief that Peeta was being helped, but instead, she was glaring at Katniss.

"Lower your bow, arrow girl," Taiya slapped out at the girl's weapon, knocking it down. "He didn't come all this way just so he could murder you. President Coin assigned him to this squad herself. Your propos have been rubbish and they know Peeta makes everything look better."

"How'd you get an invite?" Katniss asked. "Thought you were staying home."

"I thought so too. But then I heard about what this massive moron over here was keeping from me. So I kidnapped Plutarch and bullied my way onto this mission," she turned her smirk over to Finnick. "Now about that chat."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

239K 3.6K 35
"I did not pull that trigger." "...But you handed me the gun." (timeline) Catching Fire - Mockingjay Part 2 #1- finnickodair #1- catchingfire #1- the...
13.6K 359 28
The Hunger Games | Finnick Odair ----------- โDon't leave me, please don't leave me. Don't leave me alone.โž โI won't leave you Finnick,โž She kissed...
5.3K 95 13
"One, the Princess of Panem. Extremely dangerous took out sixteen tributes during her Games. Do not underestimate." "How is she a weakness then." "...
127K 4K 44
"...the other Capitol Darling. Incredibly popular in the Capitol they love her here, she has been a favourite of many for years. Charismatic, charmin...