Primeval's Twist (A Primeval...

By SherlockPhones

Katherina Dracula has been there from the start. Her father, being one of Professor Nick Cutter's closest fri... More

Chapter 1: The British Museum (part 1)✔️✔️
Chapter 2: The British Museum (part 2)✔️✔️
Chapter 3: The Abandoned House (part 1)✔️✔️
Chapter 4: The Abandoned House (part 2)✔️✔️
Chapter 5: Helen's Hospital (part 1)✔️✔️
Chapter 6: Helen's Hospital (part 2)✔️✔️
Chapter 8: The Airport & The Fake Anomaly (part 2)✔️✔️
Chapter 9: Fungus (part 1)✔️✔️
Chapter 10: Fungus (part 2)✔️✔️
Chapter 11: Birdy Escape (part 1)✔️✔️
Chapter 12: Birdy Escape (part 2)✔️✔️
Chapter 13: Dracorex In Shining Armour (part 1)✔️✔️
Chapter 14: Dracorex In Shining Armour (part 2)✔️✔️
Chapter 15: A Dead Future (part 1)✔️✔️
Chapter 16: A Dead Future (part 2)✔️✔️
Chapter 17: Camping With Rhinos (part 1)✔️✔️
Chapter 18: Camping With Rhinos (part 2)✔️✔️
Chapter 19: Don't Leave Me Behind (part 1)✔️✔️
Chapter 20: Don't Leave Me Behind (part 2)✔️
Sequel (part 1)
Sequel (part 2)

Chapter 7: The Airport & The Fake Anomaly (part 1)✔️✔️

1.8K 38 17
By SherlockPhones

4/7/15

I don't own any of primeval, it's plot or characters unfortunately. However, Katherina and her family are mine. All credit and rights go to impossible pictures.

KATHERINA'S OUTFIT TO THE SIDE.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Katherina's POV:

It's been a week. A whole week since Cutter died. With the help of Stephen, I finally started to get over the disappearance of my twin brother, KD. When I finally admitted it to myself, Stephen died. It was like one wound was ripped open all over again while another, just as deep, was created right next to it. Then, with the help of the team, especially Cutter since he grieved for Stephen as much as I, I began to heal those wounds too. Again, I admitted it to myself right when Cutter died. Now, there's three wounds. Cutter's death tore me open as I lost my father from the last 2 years, and a constant figure in my life; his death made me weep for Stephen and wonder if they both watched down on us together now; Cutter's dying words about my brother brought me hope that perhaps my twin still remains alive, but is just trapped in another world. If that is true, he's been alone for the last two years, perhaps more for him, and the chances of him surviving lessen everyday.

Today was no different to any other day, I sat at the back of Cutter's old office as the sounds of repairs echoed throughout The ARC. The first thing I did when we were allowed back in was clear out the back of his office so I had a space to work with the artefact. Currently, I sat staring at said artefact, Cutter's words about it's importance running through my head. Tears dropped one by one down my face and onto the desk, also a constant for the last week.

Even my clothes, always back, are showing my pain over recent events.

"Katie?" Asked Sarah from the doorway to my right.

"Oh!" I gasped as I quickly rubbed my eyes, removing any evidence of tears. "Hey." I whispered as I refocused on the artefact.

She stared at me for a moment in sorrow, before looking at the ground and stepping further into the room with me.

"Let me help you." She said softly. "I'm an archaeologist, I know how to deal with stuff like this..."

I simply stared at the artefact, showing her no response.

"I can clean it up a bit," she continued. "Try to see what's underneath?"

I exhaled deeply and looked up, Sarah's eyes following my movement. Without looking in her direction, I nodded my head once and stood before gesturing for her to sit in my previously occupied seat.

She smiled softly at me, patting my cheek in a motherly way, before sitting down.

I moved to leave before stopping as something crossed my mind.

"Listen," I spoke quietly as I turned to face her. "Nobody can find out about what we're doing here."

"Absolutely." She nodded.

"At least until we know what we're dealing with." I nodded to the artefact as I spoke.

She nodded quickly.

"Do you mind if I stay in here?" I asked hesitantly.

She looked at me for a moment before her usual soft smile returned.

"Of course, Honey." She seemed to have taken to giving everyone in The ARC pet names after what happened last week.

Without saying anything further I turned and walked to the wall on the far left of both Sarah and the door. I sank to the ground, my back against the wall and rested my head on my knees.

We remained in silence, me lost in thoughts and Sarah consumed by the artefact.

My mind drifted to last week and I thought about how one good thing possibly came from Cutter's death. His dying brought my whole family, not just me and my father but my siblings too, together as a whole again. Over the years, having such a big family meant lost of disputes and arguments and drifting away. Many of my brothers even drifted across oceans and in one case even planets...

... Wilfred had to be different and became an astronaut...

Anyway, KD disappearing brought us together for the three months we searched, then when father gave up the whole family spilt in two, people who agreed and those who didn't. Gaps drifted further and all siblings older than myself left our home city. Father was left with the three youngest children: Catherine (my only sister), Jonathan (her twin), and Alan the youngest. I've been told they only stay as they aren't legally old enough to leave, being under 16.

However, all my family knew Cutter personally and all of them grieve him. I've even been told that every single one of my siblings will be attending Cutter's funeral. It will be the first time we've all been together since KD's funeral and before that, since Alan's christening.

I was brought out of my consuming thoughts by Jenny's voice. I didn't even notice her enter the room.

"Any luck?" She asked Sarah, seemingly oblivious to my presence.

Perhaps wearing all black was a bad idea, I'm like that creature from the abandoned house.

Sarah, who also apparently didn't hear Jenny enter, turned and stood at the sound of Jenny's voice.

"Too soon to say," she sighed. "Once it's clean we should have a better idea."

Jenny didn't reply, merely turned around and began to scan different parts of Cutters office. I only cleaned the back area, not the main part, meaning metal poles and debris still littered the most of it.

"Any chance of putting this back together?" Jenny referred to the poles which previously made the anomaly model.

Sarah walked forward to stand by Jenny's side.

"I don't know where to start." She scanned the piles of darkened rubbish. "Give me a few years and I might be able to work some of it out."

Jenny smiled humourlessly.

"Cutter kept a lot of things to himself." Sarah mused.

Jenny sucked in a light breath and nodded her head.

"Tell me about it."

Sarah seemed to feel slightly guilty at talking so carelessly and turned slightly towards Jenny.

"Hey Jenny," she bagan softly. "If you ever need to talk, about anything-"

"There's nothing to say." Jenny said quickly.

She looked at Sarah after staring at the office in silence for a moment, before shooting her a smile and slowly turning to leave.

The moment she stepped over the threshhold, red lights flashed and alarms blared. I shot up from my place on the floor and moved to exit into what was left of the hub.

Finally, a distraction. There hasn't been an anomaly since the hospital.

"Is this a test?" Jenny asked, having been temporarily put in charge by Lester.

When walking into the corridor, I accidentally stepped into Becker. His free hand shot out to steady me before he gave me a soft smile.

"Hey." He mumbled.

I simply looked at him for a moment, before walking through the archway into the hub.

Ever since Cutter I will admit I had been closing myself off to near enough everyone, Becker especially. Everyone I became close to died, I couldn't handle anymore pain.

"I'm checking the coordinates now." Connor rushed as we walked closer to the now working ADD.

"Okay," Connor stood and faced Jenny. "Good to go."

He faced her for a moment and she stared at him, seemingly lost.

"Okay," she nodded unsteadily. "Let's go."

Walking into the garage, Connor, Abby and Jenny jumped into one Jeep, leaving me with no option but to sit with Becker. I jumped into the passenger seat and he immediately turned to face me.

I looked out the windshield, refusing to make eye contact.

He stared at the side of my face for a moment, before sighing and pressing down on the accelerator.

We drove in silence for 10 minutes before Becker flicked his eyes to me.

"You can't ignore me forever." He said lowly. "We do work together."

I looked down at my hands which were resting on my thighs. I then lifted my eyes up to connect with his, staring at him from under my lashes, before smiling slightly and facing forward.

"You do help with my anger." I said softy.

"Sparring?" He chuckled, seemingly pleased I had spoken to him for the first time since before Cutter died.

I nodded my head yet didn't glance at him.

Honestly, I didn't want to push anyone out, I wanted to use them to make myself stronger. I was just afraid that something would happen to one or more of them and I'd be left hurt.

"I know what you're afraid of." It was as if he could read my thoughts.

"I will make a promise to you now," he took one hand off the steering wheel and placed it on my hand. I looked up at him. Switching his eyes between me and the road he continued. "I will never, ever, die on you." He said seriously. "Not in this job."

I looked at him for a moment, my mind battling between cynicism and the naïve want to believe him.

The latter won for a change.

"Okay." I whispered.

I turned my hand over to lace my fingers through his, squeezing his palm. He gave me an answering squeeze.

We remained like that until we arrived at the coordinates: a very large, glass building.

We jumped out of the cars, Abby holding her hand-held anomaly detector, and waited for her direction.

"In there." She nodded towards the building.

Becker took the lead, gun raised like usual, and we all followed behind as he entered the building. The glass automatic doors opened and shut behind us. We filed in, waiting for more direction from Abby.

The building we entered was completely quiet, nobody walked and no sound was made.

"Hello?!" Jenny shouted, only for it to echo unanswered.

"This isn't right," I clicked the safety off my gun. "Reminds me of an ambush."

Becker hummed in agreement.

"It's deserted." Connor pointed out.

Abby walked forward before pointing towards another automatic glass door.

"It should be in there somewhere." She pointed towards it.

Becker handed his gun to me as he stepped forward towards the door. He tried jamming his fingers in the seem and prying it open, but the door wouldn't budge.

"There must be another way in." Jenny said as Becker shook his head.

He made to grab the gun out of my hand before the sound of the automatic doors opening caused him to tense and rip it from me. He spun and pointed his gun at the empty doorway.

The team, who had previously been walking away, turned and began back towards the door. Jenny made to go through before I stopped her with my voice.

"Don't," I growled as I stared down the barrel of my gun. "Something doesn't feel right."

I made eye contact with Becker before he motioned for the two of us to go through first, being that we were the only ones armed. Jenny followed behind the two of us as we carefully entered the hall.

Suddenly, a man in a military uniform stepped around the corner along with some backup soldiers, all armed with rifles.

"Captain Wilder..." Becker said to the newcomer suspiciously.

"Becker." The older man nodded slowly.

"You two know each other?" I asked, my glare fixed on the older man.

He looked at me, then seeming to decide I wasn't a threat, looked away.

"Sandhurst." Becker said with a quick, confused glance over his shoulder.

"Top of his class," the other man said. "One of my best cadets."

"If you two are gonna hug," Connor interrupted. "Can you do it later cause there's an anomaly in here somewhere."

"Move back into the foyer." Wilder ordered.

The door behind us opened as more armed military appeared on the other side of it.

"What's going on here?" Jenny demanded.

The frown never left Becker's face, neither of us lowered our guns.

~~ 10 minutes later ~~

The soldiers had rounded us back up into the foyer. The men surrounded us as Becker took one hand off his gun to place on the small of my back. He could feel my anger rising.

The elevator to the side opened with a whoosh and a brunette woman walked out, dressed in an expensive pantsuit. She strode confidently over to us before addressing Jenny.

"You must be Jenny Lewis." She smiled an incredibly fake smile. "I'm Christine Johnson." She held her hand out for a shake. "Nice to meet you."

Jenny shook her hand but didn't return the thanks.

"What is this place?" She demanded.

Connor turned to get Jenny's attention.

"Jenny," he pointed to his hand-held detector. "This definitely detected an anomaly less than 10ft from here."

Jenny looked at Connor before looking back at Christine. Connor mimicked the action.

"I know that might not mean much to you," he said to Christine. "But trust me, not a good thing."

"There's really nothing to worry about." Christine said with a shake of her head before flashing a fake smile. "There's no anomaly here."

"What do you know about the anomalies?" I growled.

She gave me a disgusted look out the corner of her eye, completely ignoring me. My anger rose again, as did Becker's at her disrespectful action.

"Let's just have a look," Abby cut in. "You know, just to be sure."

"I can assure you," Christine raised an eyebrow. "You'd find nothing."

"Right," Jenny said loudly. "I want access to the whole place and a full explanation of what it is you're doing here."

Christine's fake smile never left her face.

God I wanted to punch it off.

"In afraid that's not possible." She droned.

"I can make it happen with just one phone call." Jenny said confidently.

"James Lester has no authority here." Christine warned.

At James' name I stepped forwards and let a growl escape my lips.

... Slightly protective now I've lost Cutter.

"Who the fúck do you think you are?"

She sneered at me as her 'security' stepped closer and raised their weapons. In reaction to this, Becker's and my weapons also went back up as Becker stepped closer to me.

"I suggest you turn and leave." She ignored my question.

"Did you hear what we just said," Abby begged. "You could be in danger, just let us in."

"That's very thoughtful." Christine said sarcastically. "But we'll be quite safe."

She turned to me and stepped so she stood in my space.

"Do give my regards to James." She smirked.

My gun instinctually went up so the barrel touched her cheek. Her men stepped forwards, weapons all directed to me as Becker placed his back to mine and pointed his weapon to them.

"I don't know who you think you are," I spoke in a threatening tone. "But you better check who you're talking to before you run your mouth."

She motioned for her men to lower their weapons. All but Wilder obeyed, his rifle still trained on me. Becker switched his attention to just him.

"Oh I know who I'm talking to." She laughed maliciously. "Why don't you run along, try and find your poor brother."

I lowered the gun and she released a slight sigh of relief, one you had to be watching for to notice. Her relief amused me as I leant back on my left heel, before high kicking her with my right foot, in the centre of her face.

She fell to the floor, blood spewing out of her newly broken lip. Becker and Wilder began shouting at each other and me about standing down. I ignored then both as I stepped forward and grabbed Christine by the back of her hair.

"You should research said brother's father before mouthing off." I spat, quite literally spat, in her face. "James Lester may have no power, but I can guarantee that Tirigan Shadow will."

Feeling satisfied by the blanching in her cheeks at my fathers name, I threw her back on the ground before storming towards the doors.

"Captain Becker isn't it?" She said as she stood and tried to act unaffected, speaking to the soldier who held my wrist.

He stopped, stopping me with him and turned to face her. His face was a blank sheet to anyone who didn't know him, yet it was clear to the rest of the team and I that he was absolutely livid.

... He just had good self control... *cough**cough*

"I gather you and Captain Wilder are old colleagues." She tried to act like blood wasn't dripping down her face.

"Yes ma'am." Becker gritted as he swallowed deeply.

"I hope you get the chance to work together again someday." She sent a quick, threatening smirk my way.

Becker said nothing, merely turned his back and pushed me out the door.

The sound of a car alarm resonated through the air, I didn't even notice it though as Becker's grip on me tightened, knowing I was in for it due to that little display in there.

Jenny ran towards the car to investigate.

"What the hell was that?" Becker hissed in my ear, his hand griping my arm to the point of pain.

"She provoked me." I glared at him. "She deserved it."

"That's not an excuse to loose control like that!" He whisper-shouted.

"But- even the way she looked at me!" I exclaimed. "Like she thought I belonged on street corners!"

"Well when you act like that you don't deserve much better." He shouted back.

I froze in my tracks at his words. He seemed to realise what he had said as his mouth dropped open. I stared, unbelieving, into his eyes as he stuttered.

"I didn't-" his voice came out a whisper and broke off.

"Okay." I spoke quietly, slowly taking my arm from his grasp and walking towards the cars.

"Katie!" He made a grab for my shoulder but I dodged before he could make contact.

"Whatever, Captain." I walked towards Abby, he frozen behind me at the sound of his title. "Can I ride with you?"

She nodded sympathetically, Becker's shout having not been quiet.

"Sure." She said as we pilled in, Connor being left with Becker.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.4K 4.1K 62
❝The universe is full of stars. If it weren't for them, the galaxies wouldn't be bright and the night sky would be a lifeless veil of blue because on...
14.3K 317 18
Sagelynn has always known that she's different. Why? Because she's been able to communicate with ghosts since she was 6 and view past lives since she...
4.7K 52 35
When a mysterious girl turns up at the Anomaly Research Centre, with a dead body, a velociraptor, and knowledge of everyone who works at the ARC, the...
31.2K 988 98
❝ "Oh, yes," Helen approached her goddaughter. "Clara Fields. The only other person in the world to know Claudia Brown existed; the girl who turned d...