π“π€πŠπ„ 𝐎𝐍 πŒπ„ || π˜”π˜ˆπ˜Ÿ...

By maxmayfield85

"π•š'𝕝𝕝 𝕓𝕖 π•”π• π•žπ•šπ•Ÿπ•˜ 𝕗𝕠𝕣 π•ͺ𝕠𝕦𝕣 𝕝𝕠𝕧𝕖 π• π•œπ•’π•ͺ?" in which stephanie harrington starts to have f... More

i.
ii.
iii.
authors note!
1. 751,300 points?!
2. hi, im stephanie
3. venkman vs. venkman
4. shut up, michael
5. what is a d'artangan?
6. hallelujah, my ass
7. this is too intense
8. difficult words and a musical number
9. practically a love square
10. the olive theory
11. at least we're getting our steps in
12. its a manual
13. dots and dashes
14. we're on the bench
15. give the harrington's a break
16. i think i pulled a muscle
17. time after time
iv.
18. starcourt mall
19. time zones
20. possibly committing fraud
21. he's a little boy
22. we finish each others...sandwiches!
23. totally not batshit crazy
24. code red, code red
25. sauna? more like trauma
26. fearless together
27. i like girls
28. time to panic
29. ich liebe dich
30. a lot of yelling
31. t is for trauma
32. three months later
v.
33. how did i end up here
34. do i still have friends?
35. here we go again
36. cultastic
37. connecting the dots
38. splitting up
39. seven hours
40. oh shit
41. kate bush is cool
42. life is like a horror movie
43. it's always an attic
44. boom, nostalgia
45. snack sized
46. minor misdemeanors
47. i didn't die today!
vi.
48. not-so safety scissors
49. the final fight
50. L stands for lets not die today
51. bloody, beaten, and bruised
51 1/2. through her eyes
52. take on me
vii.
*i.
*ii.
*iii.
*iv.
*v.
*vi.
*vii.

*viii.

531 13 31
By maxmayfield85

18 YEARS LATER

May 30th, 2004
11:30 am, 📍Los Angeles, California

༺♥༻ Stephanie Harrington closes her laptop shut, yawning and checking the time on her nightstand, glancing at an old framed picture of herself and an old friend.

Impatiently tapping her fingers on her laptop, she opens it again, closing a Microsoft Word tab named "Mean Girls—Final Draft", and news articles of the box office records. She opens a Yahoo! tab, only to close it after.

Stupid. I haven't thought of her in years. There's no point now.

Scoffing at her own idiocy, Stephanie gets out of bed and goes into the kitchen, where various pieces of mail lay untouched. Influenced by mere boredom, Stephanie sorts through the pile, a red envelope catching her eye with her name—rather, her nickname—written in half print-half cursive handwriting.

She rips open the envelope to see a folded up handwritten letter. She quietly gasps as she starts to read.

Dear Steph,

It's been years since we've talked. I know I should have been reaching out more, but I just didn't know if you wanted anything to do with me anymore. When your movie came out and I saw you in magazines and news articles, I decided it was probably time to rekindle. I left my phone number. Call whenever you want.

Love, Max

"Holy shit," Stephanie whispers to herself. She immediately searches for her phone, running into her room and grabbing it off her desk. Stopping in front of the mirror, she thinks. Looking into her reflection, she asks herself if she really wants this. Her gaze travels down to three faded scars on her stomach. Does she really want to go back? To those memories? Everything that happened in Hawkins? If it means reconnecting with Max, Stephanie would just about to anything.

Once she punches in the numbers, she brings the phone to her ear, praying Max will pick up.

"Hello, you've reached Maxine Mayfield, who's this?"

Stephanie's eyes well with tears once she hears Max's voice.

"Hello?"

"Sorry, Max. It's me, I got your letter."

"Steph?" her voice sounds deeper now, less fake as before.

"Yeah?"

"I can't believe you actually called."

"I can't believe you actually reached out."

"It's not like it's been almost two decades."

This is it. What Stephanie has been missing.

"When can I see you? In person, I mean."

"As soon as possible."

"Where are you even living now?"

"I moved back to San Diego after college, I wanted the nostalgia back."

"San Diego? That's...that's only two hours from here. Send me your address, I'm on the way."

Stephanie hears Max laugh. "Keep your pants on, God."

Stephanie scoffs. "Let me live, Annie."

"Not a chance, Chrissy."

————
3:00 pm

༺♥༻ Stephanie pulls into the driveway of the house that Max gave her the address to. She never thought she'd be this nervous to see her.

After the party graduated, they all went their own ways. Nobody left off on bad terms, they all just needed to leave Hawkins and any reminders behind them. Even if that meant leaving their best friends behind.

Stephanie and Steve still talk, he inherited the company after their father's passing. Believe it or not, he's planning on proposing to his girlfriend soon.

Stephanie walks up to the front door and knocks. There's barely any room for awkward silences because Max immediately opens the door, engulfing Stephanie into a hug.

"I can't believe it's actually you," Max says into Stephanie's shoulder.

Stephanie hugs back, never wanting to let go.

Max pulls away first, taking in a few deep breaths as she studies Stephanie's face. Stephanie looks back, seeing how her blue eyes never changed, and how her red hair got slightly lighter, or how she has more freckles splattered across her cheeks.

"Come in," Max smiles, pulling Stephanie by the wrist through the door.

It's like they never left, it feels exactly the same as it did back then; almost as if no time has passed.

Sitting on the couch next to each other, Stephanie says something first. "So, when was the last time you talked to the boys?"

"I haven't talked to Dustin or Mike since graduation, and Will has tried to reach out. I think he's going by William now."

Stephanie smiles, thinking of all the boys living their own lives. "What about Lucas?"

Max pauses for a second. "He's called, but I haven't picked up. It'd just be too weird since we dated, you know?"

"We dated," Stephanie says, giving Max a sad half smile.

Max looks to the ground. "We did."

After a few seconds of awkward silence, Stephanie changes the subject. "So, what have you been up to?"

Max sighs, readjusting her position so she can face Stephanie. "Graduated, got a job, moved back here, then this. Nothing fun compared to what you've been doing."

"Oh, please. I bet you're plenty fun."

"Not as fun as writing and directing your own movie." Max playfully rolls her eyes. "You're basically famous now."

Stephanie scoffs. "I'm not famous!"

"You know, that plot of yours felt a little familiar, didn't it?"

Now, Stephanie won't openly admit this, but it's pretty obvious that the story is loosely based on Max. New girl at school with red hair, becomes friends with a blonde girl. See? Not that similar.

"Anyways," Stephanie starts, sitting up. "Tell me about your dating life. Who's the lucky guy?"

Max gives a small smile as she looks away. "Actually, the last person I've been with is you."

Stephanie almost thinks she's joking. "Really?"

Max only nods.

"The last person I've been with is you," Stephanie faltered, studying Max's facial expression with every word. "I guess I had always thought we'd end up together again. That maybe we would find each other someday."

Max puts her hand on Stephanie's knee. "I always wished that too."

They lean closer, as if there's magnets pulling them together. Closer and closer.

Once Stephanie realizes what she's doing, she pulls back. She notices Max trying to cover up her sad smile. "Sorry," Stephanie says, touching the back of her neck with her hand. "I just don't know if I'm ready to go back right now."

Max inches closer. "I still have nightmares. Of those demo-dogs."

"I do, too," Stephanie admits, feeling all the memories rush back at once. "The Mind Flayer. What happened in the attic. I can't escape it."

"Maybe it'll be easier to deal with it together?" Max offers, sliding her hand into Stephanie's.

"Yeah, maybe it will," Stephanie responds, barely in a whisper.

Max leans her head on Stephanie's shoulder, keeping their hands interlocked. "I really missed you."

Stephanie plants a kiss on Max's head. "I missed you, too."

"Promise me we won't grow apart again?"

"I promise."

༺♥༻
AH SO CUTE

(this was kinda inspired by it chapter two)

anywaysss,
this is a ONE YEAR SPECIAL!!!!! YIPPEE!

i started this series february 7th, 2023 and i finished writing season 4 on july 22nd, 2023. those months were probably one of my favorite times and when i was happiest. starting this has been a whole journey and i love reading back my notes for the early chapters and being able to have feedback and support in real time. i loved watching my reads go up and opening the app to so many positive comments, those will always put a smile on my face. anyways, thank you to every person who read this in the past year and thank you so much for all of the support.

now since you've finished take on me....GO READ CRAZY KID!!! (if you thought the writing was unbearable in this story, crazy kid is a gazillion times better. and if you love stephanie...SHES IN IT TOO!!!! go read rn 😡

honorable mentions (people who are very active and cool)
stxrry_n1ghts
hearts4sadie
Sarahs4Hearts

2/7/24

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9K 186 30
──⠀Ϋͺ β™‘ Ϋ« 𝐈𝐍 π–π‡πˆπ‚π‡: You never thought you'd find love until, you met him. Max mayfield, he was everything you wanted in a guy. 𝖬𝖺𝗅𝖾!𝖬𝖺�...
37.8K 1.4K 41
COMPLETED UNTIL SEASON FIVE "We wanna talk about sex, but we're not allowed" [SEASON TWO-FIVE] max mayfield x fem!oc x mike wheeler
107K 3.1K 35
COMPLETED UNTIL SEASON FIVE "And I know we weren't perfect but I've never felt this way for no one" [SEASON TWO-FIVE] max mayfield x fem!oc