35. here we go again

HERE WE GO AGAIN

March 22nd, 1986
8:15 am, 📍Hawkins, Indiana

༺♥༻ The championship game was mostly boring, Hawkins won, Lucas scored the winning shot which was obviously a good thing but the only thing Stephanie could think about was Max.

The way that she looked at Stephanie earlier that day and what she said about her — a stuck up cheerleader. Is that how Max really felt?

Anyway, after the game Lucas and Stephanie were invited to the 'after party' with the basketball team to celebrate their win.

Obviously Stephanie counted herself out on that since Matt would be there and who knows what he could do.

She woke up Saturday morning to a note on the counter from Steve, saying he already left for work.

With a newfound sense of happiness, Stephanie starts to makes herself breakfast, until the phone starts to ring.

"Hello?"

"Steph?" A recognizable voice comes through the other end.

Stephanie drops what she's doing. "Max? What-why are you calling?"

Stephanie tries to ignore the bad feeling growing in her stomach as Max takes a deep breath and continues talking. "Something happened last night. Something bad."

"What do you mean? What happened? I thought you hated me?"

"Steph, no. What I said yesterday, I didn't meant it. I was just angry. I need you to understand that. It's too much to explain over the phone, but I think that Chrissy is dead. Meet me at my house as soon as you can. Please."

"Max-" Before Stephanie could get another word out, Max hangs up.

Oh, shit.

She wastes no time biking from her house to Max's.

As she arrives at the trailer park, she sees tons of police cars and caution tape surrounding basically everything. She knew that they wouldn't let her in so she decides to sneak around the back.

As she gets closer to Max's house, she sees her standing behind it with a distressed look.

Stephanie leans her bike against the wall as Max begins to talk. "So, last night I was watching TV and then it started to stop, which is normal. I got up and started to hit it, but the lights started flickering."

Stephanie eyes go wide with realization. "Flickering?" She asks. "Or flickering flickering?"

Max hides back a smile. "I thought it was just flickering, but...I don't know now." She sighs. "I heard a scream so I looked out the window to see Eddie running out of his house into his car and driving away." Max gestures towards the house merely meters from them. "Then I remembered that earlier him and Chrissy Cunningham were together in his house."

"So you think..." Stephanie starts.

"Yeah, I do." Max finishes, reading Stephanie's mind.

"Oh, okay." Stephanie sighs. "This is a lot."

"What do we do?" Max asks, biting her lip.