Fated to the Vampire Prince

By ajArnault

Twenty-year-old Claire must deceive a vampire prince to infiltrate the monarchy and discover their secrets wh... More

Epigraph
1 • Voir
2 • Mourir
3 • Attendre
4 • Falloir
5 • Toucher
6 • Retrouver
7 • Devoir
8 • Craindre
9 • Haunter
10 • Penser
11 • Expliquer
12 • Dormir
13 • Choisir
14 • Rêver
15 • Demander
16 • Savoir
17 • Sentir
18 • Fantasmer
19 • Découvrir
20 • Vouloir
21 • Laisser
22 • Chercher
23 • Parler
24 • Croire
25 • Regarder
26 • Proposer
27 • Être
28 • Dépouiller
29 • Boire
30 • Prévoir
31 • Rester
32 • Montrer
33 • Appartenir
35 • Pousser
36 • Ensorceler
37 • Approcher
38 • Changer
39 • Ressentir
40 • Combattre
Vote on a Cover!

34 • Explorer

516 37 16
By ajArnault

Explorer (verb) to explore

Arm in arm, Tansy led me around Chateau Rose, showing me the grander parts of the castle while explaining what she knew about each room.

I soaked in every detail, trying to learn all about this place, but it felt like something was missing.

As we traversed each long hallway and climbed the carpeted staircases, I had the sense that secrets weren't just kept in this place, but hidden. Buried with the intent of never speaking of them again.

Very much like Bastien.

I lifted my hand to the bloodstone, which was tucked safely beneath a fur stole, unable to stop thinking of him, regardless of how frustrated I was.

He was everywhere. Under my skin and in the air.

I wondered where he was now, and what he was doing. If he was holding an important meeting, or if he was cloistered in his room, touching himself like he'd done the other night.

Like I'd done this morning.

I bit my lip as a thrill of heady desire surged through me, then shook my head.

Determined to distract myself from my vampire mate, I ran my hand along the wood-paneled walls of the music room as I listened to Tansy list all the musicians that the castle hosted, until I came upon a door.

Something drew me to it. Something I couldn't explain. When I ran my finger over the carved patterns, I realized the wood was warmer than anything else in the room, like it was facing a sunny window—which it wasn't.

But that wasn't the strangest part. I swore I could hear murmuring on the other side. Whispering that I couldn't quite make out. Then suddenly, they stopped.

I didn't need to be magickal to know there was more to this castle than what I could see. Well kept secrets were tucked around every corner.

I canted my head to the side, contemplating the knob.

What else are you hiding from me, Bastien?

As soon as I thought his name, the whispers started again. Murmurs that I couldn't understand. Hesitantly, I reached for the handle, wondering if I'd find the vampire behind this very door, but stopped short of actually touching it when Tansy floated to my side, wearing one of her teasing grins.

"Is everything okay?" she asked.

Startled and oddly disappointed that the whispers had stopped, I nodded, forcing a smile and clasping my hands together. "Of course."

She glanced from me to the door, then back again. Then clasped the handle and yanked the door open. Anticipation flooded my body, but all that was inside was a sheet music library and the scent of must.

No whispering vampire.

She shut the door, grinning wide and open. "I think it's time for my little surprise."

I eyed her suspiciously as she laced her arm through mine and lead me out of the room.

"I don't really like surprises," I admitted, not quite sure what she had planned. As we made our way down another long hallway, I couldn't help but cast a look over my shoulder at the music room.

There was something about that room I needed to explore on my own.

"Well, if it will put your mind at ease, I'm taking you to the ballroom so we can dance like real ladies."

I stopped walking, my eyes widening. "Oh, I don't think that's a very good idea. I don't know how to dance."

"Neither do I!" she said, tugging on my arm to restart my feet. "But after a few sips of wine, it doesn't matter what you know and don't know. Besides, Devlinn and Alec are waiting for us. I told them to bring snacks."

I let her lead me to the ballroom even though nerves twisted inside my stomach.

Wine. Dancing. A huge room all to ourselves. Alec.

The combination would surely draw Bastien who seemed unable to bring himself to spend time with me unless it was to intervene on behalf of my virtue or ensure I was protected.

I resigned to ignore him or send him away when he inevitably appeared and committed to having fun without him.

Finally, after what felt like a mile of walking, we arrived at a set of massive double doors stained black and inlayed with gold roses.

"Welcome to the ballroom," Tansy said, throwing open the doors and revealing an awe inspiring expanse of a room.

The walls were black. The floors were maple. The chandeliers were crystal. Impressive was the wrong word. It was delectable.

A smile pressed itself onto my lips as I marveled at it all. The energy of the room made me want to gather my skirts on a hand and twirl in circles.

I didn't know how to dance, but this room made me feel like anything was possible.

I spied Alec and Devlinn as they stood from a small table that had been placed at the corner of the room which was laden with candles and desserts, walking toward us with glasses of thick red wine.

One glass. I could have one glass and keep my head.

Alec looked at ease as he came closer. Neither he nor Devlinn wore a shirt beneath their open gold and white trimmed jackets, exposing their well-honed musculature.

I accepted the wine glass that he offered me, and we all rang the crystal together in a toast, silently taking a sip of the smooth vintage.

Once glass number one was finished and I was feeling less self-conscious and empowered by Alec's gentle encouragement, I let him lead me out to the dance floor while Devlinn put on a record that began playing a slow waltz.

I laughed more than I could ever remember laughing before as he tried to teach me the steps but the only steps I was doing was stepping on his feet.

"You're too stiff!" Tansy shouted, prancing over to me and taking my hips in her hands, working them back and forth as I giggled into Alec's chest.

"There's no such thing as being too stiff," Alec remarked, which caused the others to explode with laughter.

I, however, had no idea what they meant but laughed anyway.

I quit not long after, feigning hunger. My cheeks hurt from laughing, and I couldn't remember having more fun.

I knew these people had been selected as my harem, but I much enjoyed just spending time with them. Even Devlinn, who I still couldn't believe was a dark witch.

It was almost like having friends. Almost. Because I knew my harem was paid handsomely to spend time with me. For them, this was employment.

We found ourselves seated at the small circular table, sipping chilled herbal tea with lemon and honey and snack-sized cookies.

Staring at Devlinn and Tansy as they continued to sip wine, I wanted to know more about them. And Alec too. How did these three people come to have this job?

"What brought you all here?" I asked, taking another sip of tea to help dilute the glass of wine I'd drank.

The energy around the table shifted as I watched their expressions change. Devlinn and Tansy glanced at each other while Alec focused on his glass.

They remained quiet, which was very unlike this fun-loving bunch. I shifted in my seat, waiting.

"Magick," Devlinn finally said, which seemed to be the answer for all of them as none of them corrected him.

I was taken aback. Magick had brought them here?

"What do you mean?" I asked, my attention shifting to Tansy.

I knew magick couldn't have brought her here. She was far away from all of Diana's altars this far north.

Devlinn rumpled his red hair, then reclined back in his seat, taking Tansy's hand as he did.

"All I'll say is that magick ruined our lives."

The statement hung in the air, heavy between us. Magick ruined their lives? But how was that possible?

Magick was a gift. And besides, Alec wasn't even magickal.

Tansy nodded once, seeming to give Devlinn permission to continue.

"Neither one of us," he said, gesturing to Tansy, "charge our powers anymore. At this point, we're as magickal as you and him."

My mouth fell open. Witches, regardless of where you drew your power, had to charge their magick to use it. Performing sacred rituals when the moon was full. I couldn't imagine why they'd choose to be...normal.

I'd give anything to have such a choice.

I waited for him to say more, but that seemed to be all he was willing to offer, so I turned to Alec, who was spinning his glass over the tabletop.

In the low light, his bronze skin seemed to shine and his dark eyes lifted to mine. I wondered how magick had brought him to this place.

"Everyone says this place is neutral," he said, letting his gaze wander around the ballroom before returning to mine. "No magick allowed to keep the peace and all."

He hadn't exactly stated why he'd come to Chateau Rose, but I had the sense that he'd runaway from magick.

The hard set of his jaw and the look on his eyes said it all.

"But explain why the glass walls of the greenhouse don't have a lick of ice on them. Or why there are hot springs bubbling around a frozen mountain."

At this, Tansy and Devlinn exploded into more laughter. It seemed they were grateful for something else to focus on.

"Of course!" Devlinn said between chuckles, "How could we forget that his lordship keeps a mermaid locked below the castle."

A mermaid? Were they being serious?

Tansy snorted out a laugh as she finished the rest of her wine. "She tends the dragon, who heats the springs with his fiery breath."

Now I knew they were joking, but couldn't bring myself to laugh. Not with how serious Alec remained. I had the sense he knew more about dark magick than he was letting on, and I needed help to carry out my mission.

"There's probably not a mermaid or a dragon," Alec admitted, "but I know magick gets used here, even if they say it doesn't."

My thoughts returned to the whispering at the door, and the bloodstone around my neck. Bastien had some kind of magick, that much was clear. But I had the sense something else was hiding.

"It's not magick, it's science," Devlinn was saying. "The sun warms the glass, and the heat gets trapped inside. What's not to understand?"

Dark witches. I nearly rolled my eyes. I didn't like him making Alec feel stupid. He wasn't wrong.

"Science is magick by another name," I said, reciting one of Mama's favorite phrases.

I smiled at Alec, and he smiled back at me. He had a very nice smile, one that I quite liked, and I hated that it didn't do more for me than make me feel happy.

Now, I knew it was because my heart was fated to another. As much as I hated that fact.

"Funny. My mother used to say the same thing," Tansy admitted. I could see the sadness in her eyes as they met mine, but curiosity sparkled behind her irises. "Where did you say you were from?"

Swallowing hard, I realized I'd said too much. I was just as foolish as Mama said. These people weren't my friends. If anything, they were traitors to their covens for leaving. Besides, I was supposed to be spying, not making friends.

"Nightfall Convent," I answered, covering up my embarrassment with a sip of sweetened tea. Thankful I had a good cover story.

Tansy nodded, and I saw understanding resonate in the sympathetic smile she gave me. "Looks like we both escaped Diana," she said, lifting her freshly refilled glass in a toast.

I hadn't escaped Diana. Not by a long shot. My hand floated to the lace choker around my neck, reminding myself of the spell I was beholden to.

When I glanced back over at the two witches seated across from me, I saw their mood had shifted yet again. They wanted a distraction from the pain, and I couldn't blame them.

"Us misfits should stick together," Tansy said, rising from her chair and sauntering around the table toward me. Her hand lazily grazed Devlinn's shoulder as she passed by him. "Celebrate our liberation."

She came to stand behind me, her hands finding the slope of my shoulders. Fingertips trailing up my neck to cup my face. Then she leaned in, her cheek pressing against mine.

"We brought pillows. And blankets," she said. "Enough to make a cozy little pile on the floor." Her voice was a coo in my ear. "Can we play with you, Mademoiselle? I promise we'll be gentle."

Nerves and uncertainty curled in my stomach as my gaze trailed the table. There were three of them. Three very skilled pillow whisperers. I barely had experience with one.

I wasn't adverse to the idea of them showing me some things, but I was embarrassed by how inexperienced I was compared to them.

At any moment, Bastien would catch the scent of wine or sense that I was in a compromising position and burst through the doors.

I didn't want him to have that kind of power over me again. I didn't want to be the one he caught. I much preferred catching him. Like the night I'd found him in the tent.

Alone. Vulnerable. Moaning my name.

Just the thought of him made me squeeze my thighs together in anticipation.

As much as I wanted to enjoy the feel of Tansy's hands or Alec's lips, I didn't desire them in the deep, needy way I desired him.

Besides, Bastien was the secret keeper. He knew what I needed to know. He trusted me enough to give me this necklace.

I had more questions for him. Questions that needed answering.

I stared at the door to the ballroom, and the whispering started up again. The murmuring I couldn't quite understand, but that I knew no one else could hear.

"If you'll excuse me, I need to use the restroom," I told Tansy.

I didn't know where I was going, but I knew I would find him if I went looking.

"Nearest one is back through the doors and to the right. Do you want me to come with you?"

I shook my head. "No, thank you."

As I left the table and began walking to the door, I had the sensation that I was underwater once again. Just like the night of Bastien's Sanguination ball. Like our connection had reopened and he was whispering to me inside my head.

"Claire. Claire."

Beckoning me toward the door.

It became louder the closer I came, and when I lifted my hand to the handle, I heard his ragged breath like he was standing directly behind me. Moaning my name.

I wanted to see him. Despite everything.

The door cracked open before I could touch the handle, and when I pushed it open an inch, I didn't find the hallway behind. No. What I found had me gasping and scurrying through the opening as fast as I could.

Ahhh! What's she going to find? Any guesses?

Do you think the whispering is related to the bloodstone? Or to the castle?

Also, I love that the rumor about Imogen is that Bastien keeps a mermaid 🤣 But is the rumor about the dragon true or false? 👀

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

160K 3.8K 53
A simple mute girl who lives in a world of silence and serenity with her grandmother. A ruthless cruel mafia who lives in the world of women,drugs an...
13K 1.3K 52
Skylar didn't know what was happening when Claire suddenly showed up at her doorstep. Her best friend begged her to help save her dad. Though hesitan...
14.5K 1.1K 28
This is not a love story... He doesn't believe in love. Or forever. Or soulmates or any of that shit. She believes in love. She just believes it wi...
51.2K 4.5K 62
Help him!? Help the prince of the kingdom that locked me up? Joining that man is the second last thing I want to do. The very last thing is to go bac...