Scope of Life || Yeonbin

Oleh txtbtskpop

Yeonjun and Soobin cross paths when Yeonjun's been hired onto the swat team that Soobin has been on for years... Lebih Banyak

introduction
chapter 1: the meet cute
chapter 2: the first call
chapter 3: secret session
chapter 5: dinner and a nightmare
chapter 6: the morning after
chapter 7: old friends
chapter 8: call back
chapter 9: the compulsions
chapter 10: realizations are horrifying
chapter 11: risks of the job

chapter 4: potential panic

168 18 11
Oleh txtbtskpop

Soobin's POV:

We're on a call, receiving it at the last-minute before we were going to start packing up for the day. There was an active shooter reported in an office building. Something about an ex-husband trying to get revenge on his ex-wife's new boyfriend. But by the time he was about to escape with the boyfriend, the police had the building surrounded and called us. So, they were stuck outside the building in the courtyard with nowhere to go. The ex-husband had the boyfriend in a head lock, and I was still trying to set up my sniper rifle.

I rushed to the building across the street, getting access to the roof from one of their employees since this was an emergency situation. I had the perfect view of the scene, still setting everything up as Chan tried to calm him down, "Sir, we're just here to help—"

"I don't want your help!" I heard him scream from all the way up here.

I laid down on my stomach, my rifle in front of me. I put the buttstock to my shoulder and put in the magazine, flipping the safety switch. I quickly looked down the scope and got him in my sights, knowing how badly Chan needed me, "Subject on target. I have the shot." I said, and then started my special breathing to calm myself down.

"On my command, Soobin..." He replied quietly to make sure the guy didn't hear. I could see through my scope that the guy didn't know what to do, and I think the whole situation was a bit overwhelming for him. There were at least a dozen cop cars with their lights flashing, along with an ambulance and the two cars we drove over here. Chan kept going, "I don't want anyone getting hurt, alright? I just want to understand the situation a little better. Is that alright?"

Chan has been trying to start this conversation for the last two minutes with no luck. He said his name was Roger, but then he wouldn't answer anything else after that. I mean, they've been going back and forth for long enough for me to get up fifteen floors and get set up. Roger spoke quieter this time, not being able to read his lips through my scope, but Chan replied, "I have a wife too. I understand what you're going through."

I focused on my breathing, needing to get my heart rate down to at least fifty beats per minute to be accurate. I think it was almost there, taking slow and long breaths to stay calm. He kept moving around, and I needed to constantly move with him. He almost had the boyfriend too close, but there was just enough space to get a good shot off. I need to have laser focus right now because if Chan gives the command, I need to be there for him.

"Can I ask how you feel about all this? I know it must be a lot to take in." Chan said, and I don't think Roger liked that very much.

His expression changed in a second, and he looked angry. That's when I knew something went wrong, "They're only here to make sure everyone is safe, ok? Focus on me—"

He cut Chan off by saying something, hearing it muffled a little since he must've raised his voice. Chan knew he was losing him, "Roger, that's not at all what we're doing. I just want to be civil and talk."

Roger said something, and then suddenly pushed the boyfriend to the side. He lifted up his gun, pointing it directly in front of him instead. I knew what was coming next, and I don't know what happened to make this escalate so quickly. I knew who he was pointing his gun at, and I felt like everything was in slow motion. Maybe it's just because my heart rate was so slow, but it was like someone was stretching time. It was like a movie in my scope, watching as Roger put his finger on the trigger and pointed his pistol at Chan. I couldn't do anything until I got the command; the one word that makes my life flash before my eyes. I guess the same thing happens to Chan as well, since he's the one being threatened. I swear, I don't know how he's able to put himself in front of armed people on their worst days without a weapon. The amount of faith and trust he has in us is ridiculous, and it's times like these where that faith and trust is put to the test.

As soon as the gun was pointed at him, Chan didn't have a choice, "Scorpio."

BANG

I didn't hesitate, pulling the trigger of my rifle as a reaction to the command. When the recoil of my rifle settled back down, I saw that Roger was on the ground now through the scope, and I had to avert my eyes. I picked my head up, looking down at the scene with my bare eyes instead of magnified on one person. It was chaos. People were screaming all over the place, and I could see the pool of blood underneath him from all the way up here.

"Subject neutralized." Chan said after a moment, his voice small and quiet.

I felt sick to my stomach, taking my hands away from my rifle and sitting up. I sat with my legs folded under me, putting most of the pressure on my knees and placing my hands on my thighs. I looked down at the surface of the roof instead, pebbles and stone scattered everywhere from me rushing over here. I didn't know what to do. I didn't know what to think. My mind was going all over the place—

"Soobin? Soobin, say something." I heard Chan over the radio, and it made me shake my head out of my thoughts.

I gulped, forgetting how to speak for a moment, "Just stay there... Changbin, can you go get him—"

"I-I'm fine..." I cut him off, finding the strength to speak again, "I'm just packing everything up. I'll be down in a minute." I replied, not moving and still staring at the rocks.

"Are you sure?" Yeonjun spoke this time, hearing the concern in his voice.

I took a deep breath, "Y-Yeah..." I shook my head to snap out of it, leaning forward to unload the magazine and put my rifle away, "I'm fine. I'm sorry."

I didn't hear them say anything, or maybe I was just tuning everything out. I tried to be calm, starting the breathing exercises that Dr. Hwang taught me. Once I got my rifle packed up, I slung the case over my shoulder and took a deep breath, heading back to the roof access door. I gripped the strap going across my chest, walking into the elevator once it got up to me and pressing the button to go back to the first floor. I closed my eyes for a moment, taking another deep breath.

You're ok. Just breathe.

I opened my eyes when the elevator dinged open, and there were people looking in my direction as I took a step out. It made me anxious, probably knowing exactly what I did. I lowered my head and walked passed them, not needing my social anxiety to sky rocket right now. Nobody seemed to notice me when I exited the building, walking quickly across the street to get to the rest of my team, and that's when one reporter noticed me.

She ran up to me, a camera man following right behind her. She had a stack of papers in one hand and a microphone in the other. How did she even get passed the barriers the police put up to block the road?

I flinched and took a step back when she got close, hearing her frantically say, "Was it you who shot this man? Why were you in the building across the street? What exactly happened?"

I froze, tensing up from the overwhelming nature of the questions. I was still trying to do those breathing exercises, but they were helping less and less as time went by. I didn't know what to say. I didn't know what to do. It's like I didn't even know how to speak anymore, and it was making me anxious. I could see Roger on the ground, the image of his lifeless body still fresh in my mind. It almost made me panic, feeling my hand begin to shake—

"Hey!..." I heard a voice say, making me turn my head. It was Taehyun running over to me, quickly putting himself between me and the reporter, "What're you doing? You're not supposed to be passed the barrier. This is a crime scene."

I flinched when I felt a hand on my shoulder, but calmed down a little when it was just Chan. The reporter and Taehyun were arguing when I turned around, but I couldn't hear them too well since Chan said, "You're alright, I promise. Come on."

I walked with him, taking deep breaths as he had a hand on my shoulder. He was walking me over to one of our cars, seeing Changbin, Yeonjun, and Ryujin packing up our stuff. I could see the forensics team and the medics in the courtyard as well, and that's because of me. Yeonjun turned his head, our eyes locking in a moment. He was looking at me for longer than I was expecting, pausing what he was doing and trying to speak to me through his eyes. It made me anxious and more embarrassed, so I quickly turned away.

The trunk of the car was open, and Chan pulled me over and sat me down on the edge to take a break. I was tightening my grip on the strap of the case, and Chan rubbed my shoulder lightly, "You don't have to see forensics right away. Just breathe."

I sat there for a moment, but then I saw everyone else coming closer to me. I shook my head, clearing my throat as I stood up, "I'm fine..." I said, not having the strength to look at my boss, "Y-You wouldn't hire me if I wasn't able to do my job. I'll go to them now." I added, and didn't wait for a reply before I walked passed them.

~ ~ ~

I rubbed my eyes when I was finally done with all the processing. It took two and a half hours, finally being able to take off my vest and hold it in my hand instead. I guess a weight was quite literally lifted off my shoulders since I took the vest off, and it felt better since it was really pressing down on my chest. I took a few steps out of the conference room, pausing when I saw my whole team in front of me.

They stayed.

They all looked like they were ready to leave, but were waiting for me. I softly smiled, looking down so they didn't notice, "You guys don't have to do this every time."

Ryujin rolled her eyes, "Shut up. We're a family."

"Yeah, we don't leave a family member behind..." Taehyun added, taking a step closer to me. He gave me a little smile, reaching out and patting my upper arm, "How're you doing, big guy?"

I picked my head up, noticing how everyone was looking at me. Their expressions filled with curiosity and laced with concern, but I honestly just wanted them to get home, "I'm alright..." I replied, trying to put enough confidence in it, "You guys should've been home like three hours ago."

"We wanted to make sure you were ok, dummy..." Changbin replied, taking a step closer and hugging me lightly. I hugged him back, and then he whined, "Yah~ You don't need to crouch down so much to hug me!"

I laughed, and everyone else did too. It honestly helped me feel a little better, so I played along, "It's not my fault I'm tall."

He pulled away from me, crossing his arms over his chest, "I know." He looked like he was fake mad, and it just made me laugh more. He's always such a jokester, and he knows how to crack a joke when I'm upset.

Ryujin came over and gave me a hug as well, "Get some sleep tonight, ok?"

I nodded as he pulled away, "I will."

Taehyun gave me a hug, and quietly said, "Let me know if you need anything, hyungie."

"I will." I said again as he pulled away, just to have Chan hug me right after.

He whispered to me, "Call Yeji and talk to her if you want." I nodded as he pulled away, but I already knew I wasn't going to call her. I didn't want to bother her this late at night.

Yeonjun hugged me after, smiling as he moved closer. I don't know why, but he just feels the warmest for some reason, like a cookie that comes right out of the oven. He didn't say anything until after he pulled away, "I'll walk with you to the locker room. I need to grab something."

I wasn't expecting that, but I nodded in response anyways. I said 'goodnight' to everyone else, and Yeonjun and I walked next to each other back to the locker room. He used his swipe card to get in, and he said as soon as we were inside, "I wanted to ask you something."

I was confused, but replied anyways, "Ask away." As I made my way over to my locker. I placed my vest down on the bench, knowing I need to put it back in our equipment room later.

"Do you live alone?..." He asked, and it made me pause my movements and turn to him instead. He quickly brought his hand up and rubbed the back of his neck, "That came out weird. Umm... I-I just wanted to ask because I don't want you to be alone tonight. You're free to stay at my place if you'd like."

I raised an eyebrow, "Do you live alone?" I asked back, somewhat avoiding his question, but I was actually curious.

"Yeah. Why?" He replied, moving his hand so he was holding onto the strap of his duffle bag.

I shrugged, turning back to focus on opening my locker, "I guess I just assumed you had a girlfriend."

I got my locker open, and it surprised me when he chuckled at my response. It made me look back at him, "I actually just broke up with my girlfriend a few months ago..." He replied, and I wasn't expecting him to be so open, "Because I'm gay."

Now that was something I definitely wasn't expecting, and I don't think he was expecting to be able to say it so easily. He avoided my eyes, "She didn't take it very well when I told her either. Went a little crazy, actually..." He shook his head, clearing his throat before he said, "Sorry, this isn't the point."

"It's ok..." I said, not wanting him to get so uncomfortable, "I'm bi – I get it."

I thought my reply would help him feel a bit better, and I think it worked because he softly smiled and quietly said, "Thanks umm..." He finally looked up at me, "Anyways, my offer still stands. You can either come to my place or I can come to yours. Only if you want to, of course. It's not an obligation."

I don't know why, but he made me smile. I guess nobody's ever offered it before, so I didn't really know what to say. I thought about it for a moment, and then replied, "I could use a change of scenery..." His smile started going wider, and I added, "Want to get some dinner on the way to your place?"

This is the most I've ever seen him smile, nodding as he said, "Yeah, my treat."

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

4.7K 396 22
" You couldn't hate me more than I hate myself. " Soobin would do anything for his bandmates. This is the time that it's put to the test. ...
48.4K 2.9K 52
"I've always liked reading about the cute clichΓ© couples, but I've never been very affectionate or found of it happening to myself..that was until he...
11.6K 527 23
Soobin might be falling for his group member? What happens when Soobin's feelings starts to get in the way of his career as an idol? What happens whe...
501 10 9
Seo and Kim family never be in good relationship. They always fight whenever they see each other. Except, their child. They never care about their fa...