Rooming with Maddox

By BookishSerenity

As my first semester at college rolled on, things took an unexpected turn-I found myself homeless, tossed out... More

Characters:
Character relationships/links:
Chapter One:
Chapter Two:
Chapter Three:
Chapter Four:
Chapter Five:
Chapter Six:
Chapter Seven:
Chapter Eight:
Chapter Ten:
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve:
Chapter Thirteen:

Chapter Nine:

7 1 0
By BookishSerenity

━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦.·:*¨ 🌹✘■□R■♚■W□♚■M□■✘☄❥¨*:·.✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Today was a new day, carrying the weight of recent events left me weary, my mind overburdened with incessant thoughts, leaving me restless and unable to sleep recently.

My friend Adele suggested we meet up today, and despite my exhaustion, I agreed.

As I stepped out, Phoenix intercepted me on my way, catching me off guard with his sudden appearance. "Hey!" I greeted, a mixture of surprise and joy evident in my voice.

"Hey!" his greeting filled the air, prompting him to hug me.

Our paths had crossed just last Friday at the hectic pizza place where we both worked. Fridays there were always a whirlwind, offering little opportunity for conversation.

"You look nice today," he observed, his words lingering as our hug dissolved.

In response, I playfully twirled, a smile adorning my face when I turned back to him. "Thanks," I said, laughter bubbling up in the shared moment.Today was a new day, carrying the weight of recent events left me weary, my mind overburdened with incessant thoughts, leaving me restless and unable to sleep recently.

My friend Adele suggested we meet up today, and despite my exhaustion, I agreed.

As I stepped out, Phoenix intercepted me on my way, catching me off guard with his sudden appearance. "Hey!" I greeted, a mixture of surprise and joy evident in my voice.

"Hey!" his greeting filled the air, prompting him to hug me.

Our paths had crossed just last Friday at the hectic pizza place where we both worked. Fridays there were always a whirlwind, offering little opportunity for conversation.

"You look nice today," he observed, his words lingering as our hug dissolved.

In response, I playfully twirled, a smile adorning my face when I turned back to him. "Thanks," I said, laughter bubbling up in the shared moment.

"So... how is it?" he inquired, a sense of confusion lingering with his words. "Living with Maddox," he concluded, clearing up my confusion.

I shrugged, "It is what it is," I stated, a nonchalant tone framing my response.

He nodded, understanding in his gaze, "I bet it's better than sleeping on that bench," he joked, injecting a touch of humor into the conversation, drawing up that memory from a week ago.

"You'd think, huh?" I quipped in response.

Maddox suddenly chimed in, defensively proclaiming, "Hey, I'm not that bad!" I shifted my gaze to find him comfortably seated on a chair, positioned at the bar on the opposite side of the kitchen.

Phoenix and I shared a laugh, and then a sudden realization dawned on me, "I can't even imagine what it was like living with him for... years," I say, joking with Phoenix.

He tilted his head back and chuckled, "You don't even want to know."

I smiled at his response, shaking my head, "In all honesty though, he's really not that bad. Well... if you look past the limited vocabulary and the girls he has come over here every so often, then he's not so bad." I remarked.

My words seemed to ignite a spark in Phoenix's eyes, "Girls?" he asked with curiosity.

I nodded, "Yep," keeping my response simple.

I noticed Maddox shaking his head, attempting to steer the conversation in a different direction, "Where are you going anyway?" Maddox asked, changing the subject.

"I'm supposed to meet up with a friend," I informed them, pointing towards the door.

They both looked at me with curiosity, "Boy or girl?" Maddox inquired.

"Girl...?" I drew out, a bit puzzled.

Maddox smirked, "What's her name then?" he interrogated.

"Adele," I answered almost instantly, confused by all of the interrogating questions.

"Throndsen?" Phoenix inquired.

I nodded, "Yeah. Do you know her?" I question out of curiosity.

Phoenix nodded, "Larken has been chasing after her," he said, injecting a touch of humor.

Maddox laughed at his words, "Is that the girl who keeps ignoring him because of the ice cream incident?" he asked Phoenix.

Phoenix nodded, glancing at his brother, and both of them chuckled, reliving the moment in their minds. "Ice cream incident?" I questioned, a smile gracing my face.

Maddox glanced my way, saying, "Yep. We headed out for food, and after Larken's persistent begging for ice cream, I eventually caved. Once we got there, he spent an eternity in line deciding. Eventually, he chose, turned around way too fast and plowed into the poor girl. She ended up on the floor... covered in ice cream," he chuckled as he thought back to the incident.

"Why does Larken keep going after her if she isn't interested?" I asked.

Phoenix shrugged, catching my attention. "Larken is hard to understand sometimes," a trait Maddox and he clearly share. I thought to myself.

As my phone started ringing, I looked down to see a call from none other than the person we were just talking about.

Her ears must have been ringing or something, I thought to myself as I picked up.

"Sage..." she drew out, and I could hear the pouty expression in her voice. "When are you gonna get here?" she asked, impatient.

I glanced at the time on my phone to see that only five minutes had passed. "I'll be right there," I responded.

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦.·:*¨ 🌹✘■□R■♚■W□♚■M□■✘☄❥¨*:·.✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦.·:*¨ 🌹✘■□R■♚■W□♚■M□■✘☄❥¨*:·.✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

"I hope you know that you can talk to me if you want to. I know that something happened between you and Kalea, and that I've always been kind of more her friend than yours, but I just want you to know that I am your friend too. You can always lean on me if you need to," Adele expressed as I sat across from her.

We were currently at the coffee shop that I had passed everyday, with every intention of walking in, but I never had enough time.

The interior surprised me; it was prettier than I thought it would be, more spacious, and the walls had this cool wallpaper that gave me an optimistic vibe.

I smiled at her, "Thank you," is all I said.

I regretted the words as soon as I said them. I felt like I should have said something else, anything else.

She smiled, "So... have you talked to Kalea?" she inquired.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. I might have been paranoid, but I knew that she was being way too nice not to want something. "Why?" I questioned, feigning ignorance to her inquiry.

She shrugged, "I'm just worried about her. She really hasn't been herself since whatever happened between you two," she said.

"It's been a week," I voiced my thoughts, curious as to why she was acting like it had been a year or more.

She nodded, "Yeah, but she's been... I don't know... preoccupied?" she said, more as a question.

preoccupied? she really had the nerve to call me and ask me to meet up with her just so she could proceed to say that her friend wasn't paying her enough attention?

I decided to change the topic, "do you know someone named Larken?" I question, crossing my legs under the table and resting my face in my head, waiting for her to answer.

"Underwood?" she inquires.

I nodded, "I think." I wasn't really familiar with their last name.

She let out an exasperated sigh, "I wish I didn't. He has the nerve to spill ice cream all over me, and then he wants to follow me around, asking for my number any time he gets a chance." I couldn't help but suppress a laugh at her eye roll.

If Adele was one for anything, it was not relationships. The entire time I've known her, I've never seen her with anyone, and she never talks about someone she's interested in.

"Maybe you should let him down gently. I mean, if you're not interested," I suggested.

She smiled, "Why? Are you interested in him?" she questioned with a smirk.

I rolled my eyes at her question, "No. I just saw him the other day, and he didn't even say two words to me. I don't think he even said anything at all," I answered honestly.

"So... I hear you're rooming with someone..." she started off. "A guy, someone," she said with a smirk. This girl, you give her a grain of sand, and she could find out what ocean it came from.

I nodded, clueless as to where she was going. "Yeah, actually, that's how I met Larken. I'm rooming with his brother," I told her.

"Who? Phoenix? He's sweet," she smiled.

I nodded, "Yeah, but no... I just work with him," I clarified.

"Then who are you living with?" she questioned.

"Maddox," I answered, oblivious to why she was so interested.

Her eyes almost bulged out of her head, "Maddox Underwood?!" she shouted, catching the attention of a few people sitting around us.

I nodded, "Yeah, I guess..." I said, making an assumption based on our earlier conversation. "Why?" I asked, curious as to why she was so invested in this, as if it were some kind of gossip. If it was, why wasn't I privy to it?

Her jaw dropped, shocked. "Oh my god! You don't know who he is?!" she questioned in disbelief.

"Should I?" I asked.

She nodded, "Wha- yes!"

She was starting to make me feel stupid with how oblivious I was to why she was having such a strong reaction to this.

She sat there and gawked at me for a minute before she said, "He is literally the dean's son. He's here on a basketball scholarship. He's literally the guy every girl here probably wishes to live with... and his roommate is oblivious to all of it." She laughed at her own realization.

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦.·:*¨ 🌹✘■□R■♚■W□♚■M□■✘☄❥¨*:·.✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

✘R♚W♚M✘❘ Word Count: ❘✘R♚W♚M✘

1545

A/N: Tell me what you think...

Update: Chapters 10+11 are being edited and will be published soon! They will uploaded ASAP!

I've been sick for the past week and today I'm feeling completely better, i lost my voice and everything and today I got it back. YAY! And while I was sick, I was pretty much in a writing slump, I was writing a little bit but not much. Sorry for the wait! More chapters are coming I promise!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.6K 178 31
I look at his arms tense as he drags the needle over his client, his tattooed bicep bulges and a vein on his forehead becomes prominent as he focuses...
2.8M 68.7K 124
COMPLETED - When Isabella arrives at college, she's determined to keep her head in the books and go by unnoticed. Yet, life had other plans for her...
1.5K 51 8
After many years, Jess meets up with her old best friend, Argo. There's only one problem. Her best friend's sister, Alice, who she can't stand, tagge...
1.2M 26.1K 99
Lia I'm a sucker for romance, especially romance in novels because let's be honest, love like that doesn't exist in reality. Yet, he makes me feel a...