𝓢𝓮𝓮 𝓜𝓮

By jackssfox

What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place alm... More

Playlist
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓇𝒶𝒸𝓉𝑒𝓇𝓈
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41

Chapter 25

17.7K 251 1.6K
By jackssfox

-ˋˏ☀︎𝕁𝕒𝕞𝕖𝕤 𝕂𝕖𝕟𝕥.ೃ࿔☀︎

"James, we're moving now," Aurora's voice came muffled from behind my bedroom door after a knock.

"Okay, I'll meet you downstairs," I called back, buttoning the color of my shirt before fixing my hair again and opening the door, heading to the elevator.

I tried to focus on today and not remember what the hell happened yesterday, but I couldn't do one without thinking of the other. Yesterday was crazy. The fact that Kai and Emma were out there alone— I couldn't even think about it. Something could have happened to them and nobody would even notice.

It's him. That's him.

Emma's voice rang in my head for the thousandth time. Him. Evelyn's uncle. Evelyn. I called her yesterday and thankfully she replied even when it was late. I told her that we need to go to her uncle's house again. All she said was 'sure, when do you want me there?'

I called her again this morning to confirm that she didn't forget, and she said she'll be there when I arrive. I didn't want to see her again, I thought I wouldn't have. But with what happened, I had a feeling this won't be the last time I had to deal with her. We needed her.

"Hey," I said, walking into the room everyone was gathered in, Aurora standing up once I stepped inside.

"You're ready?" She asked, walking towards me. I don't even know when she got up, but I assumed it was pretty early. When did she even get time to sleep and still look like she had the best rest of her life. She didn't look exhausted or worn out, instead she looked like she had all the energy someone needed to run a marathon.

She wore some jeans with a brown leather jacket and a white top underneath, letting her curls fall down as always. I cleared my throat when I realized I haven't replied to her yet, "yeah, let's go. Evelyn is there already."

"Take care," J smiled when we were about to turn, "and call us if anything unexpected happened."

"Of course," I returned the smile and motioned for Aurora to go first when I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"Hey, Aurora, I'll let him go in a second," Kenji said, "I just need a word with him before you go."

"Yeah, sure," she shrugged with a smile before looking at me, "I'll wait with the guards outside."

Kenji waited until she was out of sight before pulling me outside where we were alone, "are you sure you can do this?"

"Do what?"

"This," he stressed, "deal with all of this. You don't have to, you know? I can go. Or anyone can go."

"Kenji, it's alright," I sighed when I realized what he was talking about, "we broke up ages ago, I'm good. Plus, I really don't think she'd cooperate easily with you guys if I wasn't there."

We decided that it's best if none of them went with me today except for the guards who'll be watching the house, but Aaron and Naz insisted that Aurora goes with me for some reason. But me not going wasn't an option, I knew Eve. Even when were dating, she never really talked much to any of them. Maybe just joked around with the kids, but mostly she was only talking to me whenever we hung out around my family.

"I'm just making sure you're not going to get yourself in something that you clearly can't handle again," he crossed his arms, pinning me with a look, "I know you. Even if your intention is not to do anything, your feelings will get in the way."

"My feelings can go to hell right now," I said before I could think clearly about what's coming out of my mouth, Kenji's eyebrows shooting up, "what? Do you really think this is what I'm focusing on? I know we don't have time for this nonsense. Kai and Emma were in danger, that's what I'm focusing about."

Plus, I sort of have a fake girlfriend right now. There is no room for Evelyn to try anything. At first I thought Aurora was nuts for doing this out of nowhere, but she really did help. I wasn't sure what she was going to act like today, but I think I wouldn't stop her from continuing in that role for the sake of my peace of mind.

"Trust me, I'm good," I smiled when he gave me an unconvinced look, "now, you're making us late, so goodbye. Say good morning for me to Kai when he wakes up."

"I'm not talking to that traitor," he shook his head, "I don't even think he's my son anymore."

"You've been saying that ever since he was born when he does something that is not to your liking," I rolled my eyes, "you better stop or he'll think he's adopted for real."

"Whatever," Kenji waved a hand, "anyway, take care. Try to come back before everyone gets here. Your brothers are going to escape them by throwing me under the bus, I need you here, buddy."

"Hell no, they still treat me like I'm ten, I can't deal with them," I fired back, "I'll use the same technique as my brothers, just so you know."

"I hate this family," Kenji groaned, "each one of you are pain to my existence. Except for Emma and Zade, I like them."

"Alright. I'm leaving now," I patted his shoulder and turned to leave, saying as I walk away, "have fun!"

I walked outside, seeing two guards waiting for me, nodding before one of them opened the door for me, causing me to sigh. I wasn't going to get used to this anytime soon. I remember it being like this years ago when J first took over, but as the years passed, we lived normally like everybody.

"Hey," one of the guards whispered as we walked outside, "I'm extremely sorry but... can I ask you something?"

"Yeah, of course," I smiled to ease his mind state.

"Are you sure that Miss Aurora is okay?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean... haven't you noticed she can be, well... weird? I don't mean it as an offense, I'm just concerned—"

"Wait, waif, what?" I let out a laugh in confusion.

"She scares us," he whispered as we came to a stop before the car, "sometimes, at night, we hear her singing out of nowhere."

"Singing?"

"Yeah," he nodded, throwing a gaze to Aurora sitting in the car, "it made me lose sleep."

"Does she at least have a good voice?"

"Well, yeah," he shrugged. Aurora can sing? I don't even know if this fits her personality or not. I don't even understand her personality. It wasn't the most surprising thing, but it was definitely something.

"Well, maybe she's secretly a siren, who knows," I joked before scoffing, "she can be weird, it's alright."

I had no idea if it's alright or not, I don't know anything about her. But I didn't know what else to say. Someone opened the backdoor for me to sit next to her before closing it and climbing into the passenger seat next to the driver, "what were you guys talking about?"

"Nothing, he was just telling me about your singing skills."

"My— what?" She jerked her head back, looking at the guard through the mirror.

"I was just saying how much I liked your voice," he snapped in a horrified tone.

"What's your name?" She crossed her arms, narrowing her eyes.

"...Theo," he swallowed, "Theo Keller."

"Well, Theo, if you had a comment about my singing, you should have told me, not gossip about it with strangers."

"I'm not a stranger, my brother literally owns the place you're sleeping in right now," I frowned, but she just waved a hand.

"I don't care, you're a stranger to me, anyway, do we have an agreement, Theo?"

"Yes, ma'am."

She smiled with a tilt of her head, but I had the urge to mess around with her a little bit, "so, you sing?"

"I got bored, alright?" She rolled her eyes, "I was all alone in this huge mansion, with just the guards who won't even talk to me like normal people."

"Alright, calm down," I raised my hands in surrender, seeing her shoulders relax as she looked outside of the window while the car moved, seeing another one full of guards following us.

I haven't seen Aurora since the last time we met, but I did apologize again yesterday for the way I snapped at her. I still felt that she was uncomfortable when I tried to talk to her now, I don't like making people uneasy. People mostly like spending time with me, I never mean to be rude, I don't think I ever was rude to someone. She just caught me in a bad moment, "I'm sorry again... about last time—"

"Oh my god," she chuckled, finally looking at me, "how many times are you going to apologize?"

"Well—"

"I told you, you're fine. Trust me, even if I didn't forgive you, I would just for you to stop giving me a headache," she widened her eyes, and my eyebrows shot up at her comment, making her close her eyes and sigh, "sorry, it's just— you're okay. I don't like when people keep repeating the same thing over and over. I thought I made myself clear the first time that I forgive you."

"I'm sorry— no— sorry— oh my god," I groaned, burying my face in my hands at how I was doing the exact opposite of what she just said, "okay, fine. Never having this conversation again."

"Okay," she nodded, "by this conversation, I hope you mean from the start of it. No talking about my singing again. You hear that, Theo?"

"Yes, I apologize."

I shook my head, but couldn't help the smile that drew on my face. My first impression of her was totally different than now. Not that now I fully put my whole trust in her, I promised myself I'd never do that with anyone other than my family ever again, but maybe I was too judgmental. Her sharp exterior that she showed people when I first saw her was nothing like what I was seeing right now.

When I met her at the cafe, she was admiring some flowers that nobody even noticed, she didn't even hear me, like she was in a whole other world. Now, she was joking around with a guard she didn't know his name 5 minutes ago. I didn't expect her to be the friendly type.

The entire ride was quiet except for me telling the driver where to go according to the directions Evelyn told us the last time we went there until we reached a point where I think we knew we were there without me having to say it. This place looked so different than what we're used to right now. It looked like places I was used to when I was a kid. Like a junkyard. A junkyard that people lived in. It was a home to people. To Evelyn.

I could see how the atmosphere physically changed, the air got dustier and the ground was rocky while we slowly drove. The houses looked not just simple but in a bad shape. I knew that not everyone was financially okay even after J became a supreme, but I never thought it can be this bad. Evelyn lived here. This was her hometown. Her lifestyle.

I knew she wasn't exactly a rich person even when we went to the same college, she said that she got in by a scholarship and with a little help of her mother. She even worked as a waitress in a cafe near campus. That's actually how we met, I remember it so vividly.

"I think I'm actually going to fail this class, dude," Owen sighed, opening the door of the cafe as we walked in.

"I told you that I could tutor you," I shrugged as we found a table to sit at, putting our books on the table before taking a seat, "you're the one who said no."

"Because it's going to be a waste of time, and no offense, but you teaching me sounds like hell."

"What? Why?"

"Because you turn into Mr. Know It All. It sucks."

"You—"

"Hey, would you like me to take your order now?" The question came from a soft voice next to us, looking up at the waitress with a notepad and a pen in her hands. I opened my mouth to reply, but she flashed a smile, and I don't know what hit me, made my tongue freeze. She had blue eyes, but they were kind of different than mine, they were sharper somehow. Her red hair fell down her shoulders till her upper arms as she looked down at us.

"Yes, please. I'll have some black coffee," Owen said, snapping me out of the haze.

"Um, I'll just have a lemonade," I cleared my throat as she wrote down what we ordered.

"Anything else?"

"No, thank you," I smiled, watching her nod and walk away before looking back at Owen, who was still staring at her, "what?"

"Doesn't that girl attend college with us?"

"I don't know, did you see her before?"

"Yeah, she's in the same major as us, I see her a lot," he nodded, "why would she take a job as a waitress if she's in a good college?"

"That's none of our business, Owen," I pinned him with a look. He can be judgmental and nosy without even noticing.

"Right," he sighed and grabbed one of his textbooks, opening them as I got mine too. I took some notes in my copybook, passing time until I glanced up, seeing the same waitress coming with out drinks, straightening and getting the books out of the way for her to have space to put the cups at.

"Here you go," she smiled, putting the lemonade in front of me and the coffee in front of Owen before pausing when she saw his textbook, "ugh, this class sucks. Do you know how many times I actually thought about dropping because of it?"

"Right," Owen slammed his palm agains the table quietly, "I'm this close to giving up."

She chuckled, "I'm Evelyn, by the way. I recognize you from class, you're..."

"Owen," he extended his hand for her to shake before nodding at me, "and that's James, he also takes the same class."

"I know," she nodded before jerking her head back, "I mean, I recognize you too. I didn't know your name, I'm not a stalker—"

"It's okay," I laughed, shaking her hand too, "it's nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too—"

"Eve!" Another waitress whisper-yelled two tables down, whipping Evelyn's head to hers, "what are you doing? Hurry up."

"Sorry," she whispered before giving us an apologetic look, "I need to go, enjoy your drinks, call on me if you need anything else."

With that, she turned and headed to another table, taking their orders. I've never seen her before, mainly because I never notice anyone or anything other than the professors talking in classes. Maybe I should pay attention more to other things. Just like I paid attention to her the whole time I was in the cafe, not even focusing on studying anymore, my eyes following her around, looking away only when she was about to catch me.

"So, do you want to break up?" Aurora's voice brought me back to reality.

"Excuse me?" I blurted out, blinking quickly at the question. What?

"Oh, sorry. I meant do you want to fake break up?" She corrected as the car came to a stop.

I looked through the window, seeing Evelyn sitting on a bench across the street from her uncle's house. Yeah, I can't do this without Aurora's help. I can't have Evelyn try and talk to me the way she did before.

"It would make no sense to tell her we broke up, plus, you're the one who put us in this situation, remember?"

"I still think you should be grateful," she gave me a look, "but it's alright because men can be jerks."

"Have you been spending time with my niece?" I joked and she raised an eyebrow, "you know, blonde, about as high as my knee, and has a big mouth that yaps all the time about how stupid men are to even breathe?"

"No, but I like her already, she seems more fun than you," she smiled and opened her door, "let's go."

I opened my door, sensing the guards in the other car get out too, Evelyn's head turning to us, standing up as we walked towards her, "hi."

"Hey," I said and looked towards the house, "did he come by anytime? Even if it was for a short while?"

"No," she sniffed, putting her hands in her pocket and eyeing the guards behind us, "what are all these people doing here?"

"I told you we're going to keep an eye in case he comes back anytime," I crossed my arms in defense, "do you have a problem with that?

"No, but why? You didn't tell me anything on the phone. Did something new happen other than the information I gave you? Are you even sure he's in the rebellion?"

"Why do you sound like you're protecting him? Weren't you the one who gave away everything about him?" Aurora narrowed her eyes at her.

"I'm not protecting anyone, I'm just asking," Evelyn shot back in a defensive tone that I knew so well, "I'm still worried about myself, you know?"

"Okay, enough," I snapped, taking half a step in front of Aurora, pinning Evelyn with a look, "you can't expect us to simply trust you, Eve. She's just being cautious."

I watched her jaw clench before she crossed her arms and let out a breath, "fine, I'm sorry. But at least tell me if you know for sure if he's a part of that rebellion or not."

"He is," I sighed, giving her a part of the truth to satisfy her, "Emma recognized him from the photo you gave me, said he's been following her."

"He was following Emma?" She widened her eyes in surprise.

"Yeah, it's messed up," I ran a hand through my hair and looked back at the guards waiting for our word then back at Evelyn, "so, we need to catch him, that's why we need to keep an eye on his house."

"Yea—" she cut herself off when some guy passed her, looking down as if to hide her face from him, and I gave him a side glance as he narrowed his eyes on her before shaking his head and going on his way. I looked back at Evelyn carefully eyeing him before letting out a breath of relief, "we can't talk like this, everyone knows everyone here. If someone saw me they can tell on me to my uncle when, or if, he ever came back."

"There's not much to talk about," Aurora replied flatly, "we just want to ask some questions that they didn't the last time they met you."

"Yeah, I can't do that in the middle of the street with guards surrounding us. I won't risk people see me talk to supremes right now. You—" she lowered her voice, "you don't know what's going on, you only see what's around you, who's around you. People who are close to your level, you don't see what goes on in areas like this."

I let my eyes roam around the streets and alleys more, seeing what she's talking about. There were some police caution tapes and signs thrown on the floor, there was a food place in the first flat of one of the buildings. Even from here I could see that there were the bare minimum of dishes and utensils arranged on the tables. The cutlery was simple and utilitarian, while the plates and bowls were made from basic materials that looked like steel. I'm pretty sure this food place wasn't even legally made or documented.

"Fine, then let's walk away from them," I suggested, "let's sit somewhere away from the guards as if we're normal people."

"People know her," Evelyn nodded at Aurora, "even if you're not a supreme here, you're still one of them, they'll know you. It's not only dangerous for me but for you too, this right now is already dangerous for you. Some people here are crazy, they can literally jump you for just standing there."

"So what do you want us to do now?"

"I can talk to him," Evelyn answered Aurora after a moment, looking at me, "I'll tell you what you want to know."

"Yeah, no," Aurora scoffed, stepping closer to me, "what? People know me but they don't know who Aaron Warner's brother looks like?"

"Barely, yes," Evelyn frowned, "James never really showed his face to people, very few who'd recognize him, the one's who are really paying attention. Shouldn't his own girlfriend out of all people know that about him?"

Aurora took a sharp breath but I cut her off before she could argue back, "Evelyn, that's enough," I stressed and looked at Aurora, grabbing hold of her forearm lightly, "I'm sorry. But maybe she's right, it can be dangerous for you."

"She's— I came here to get answers too—"

"I know," I took a step closer, my mind not comprehending what I was doing, but it was playing off the act we're doing so whatever, "I'll tell you everything, you don't have to risk anyone attacking us if they recognized you."

"They wouldn't if we just stayed with the guards, plus I can take care of myself just fine."

"We can't just stay with the guards in military cars in the middle of this street, look around you," I whispered the last sentence. I was doing this for two reasons, one, knowing Evelyn, she wouldn't talk if we forced her, and she won't give us anything unless it was just me when she set her mind to it. Two, I also can't risk Aurora being in danger because she was here because of me, because my family decided it, "please, just wait in the car, I'll be right back."

She blinked at me once before glancing at Evelyn then back at me, "just don't get distracted. Get the answers we want."

"Okay," I sighed in relief, "I will."

I let go of her, and she stepped back at the same moment, motioning for the guards to get in the car as she got in too. I looked back at Evelyn, motioning for her to lead the way to somewhere away from here.

"You can't talk to her like that again," I said when we sat down on a bench far away, not enough people passing by.

"Like what?"

"You know," I crossed my arms, giving her a look, "you're being so hard to deal with."

"I'm not meaning to," she shrugged. It was like she shifted 180 degrees right now, her tone softer, her expression relaxed with no worry lines unlike a minute ago, "this is just how I talk when I'm anxious, you know that. Unlike you, I didn't change that much since we met."

She didn't. Maybe that's why I knew how to deal with her, what to do when she talked back to Aurora. That's just how I talk when I'm anxious, you know that. It was true, she was like that with me when we first met— or when we met again, how our friendship originally started.

I walked out of class, my eyes searching for something without even realizing, for someone. Today I actually let myself focus on my surroundings like I said I should, finally noticing the girl I met yesterday at the cafe, Evelyn, sitting two rows in front of mine.

The professor called on her when he noticed she wasn't paying attention, asking her something that she couldn't answer. It wad the same class we talked about yesterday with Owen, the one they agreed they wanted to drop. I don't even know what I wanted to do if I laid eyes on her now among everyone who's walking, but I found my legs moving on their own once I caught a glimpse of a redhead.

"Evelyn?" I wondered when I got close to her, her head turning to me as her movements halted.

"James?" She tilted her head in confusion.

"Hi," I smiled with a wave of my hand, "how are you doing?"

"As good as anyone can be after a 2 hours lecture, how about you?"

"Unlike you, I actually understand this class, so..." I shrugged, earning an annoyed smile from her.

"Oh my god, are you one of these?"

"Of who?"

"A Know It All," she gave me a disturbed look, "because let me tell you, these are the worst kinds of people, after psycho killers of course."

I let out a chuckle without meaning to at her sarcastic tone, "I'm not Know It All, why does everybody keep saying that? I just enjoy this class, that's all."

"Lucky you," she sighed, "it's my number one enemy."

"Speaking off, I can help you if you want," I didn't know where this was even coming from, or what I was thinking of— there wasn't even much thinking if I'm being honest. I don't know what is it about her that made me unable just see her and turn the other way.

"What do you mean?" She tilted her head with a squint of her eyes.

"Um, remember my friend Owen? From the cafe? I'm actually tutoring him," I wasn't, he still wouldn't budge, "you could join too if you'd like."

"Oh," she straightened, her hold tightening on the shoulder strap of her backpack, "I don't know about that."

"Why not?"

"Well..." she shifted from one leg to another, her jaw clenching as her eyes looked anywhere but mine, "I just don't want to, thank you."

"Wait—" I grabbed her wrist when she turned to go, seeing her blue eyes snap to mine, her look sharpening, "I'm sorry if I said something that bothered you or made you uncomfortable."

"I just don't know you or your friend, you can't expect me to say yes, right? The only thing I know about you is your first name. So, again, thanks for the offer but no," she said strictly, her tone absolutely changing than from the cafe, "can you let go of me now?"

"Oh, I'm sorry," I quickly dropped her hand, stepping back to give her space. I didn't mean to come off as creepy, but she was right. It wasn't okay for a girl to just blindly associate with two guys she didn't know. The way her attitude completely shifted took me off guard, but I saw where she was coming from, "I didn't mean to repel you. I was genuinely trying to help. I'm sorry again."

"...that's alright," she whispered after a moment before taking a deep breath, "I'm sorry I snapped the way I did, I just— I mean, I know you're, like, a top student in our classes, I notice you a lot, so it's not out of pocket that you tutor, but I still don't know you."

"Yeah, I know that," I cleared my throat and put my hands in my pockets, "but trust me I'm not a psycho killer, I can't even kill a spider."

She let out a scoff, but I went on, "anyway, if you change your mind, tell me, I'll actually be tutoring him in the cafe we met," I also wasn't, I didn't know why I was doing all of this just to be close to her.

"Um, well... okay, I know most people who tutor charge for the sessions," she looked down, and I swear I saw her cheeks turn into a shade of pink, "how much—"

"Oh, nothing," I waved a hand when I realized what she was embarrassed about, her head snapping up to me, "I'm just helping my friend out, you'll just tag along. I don't want anything from you."

"That's not suspicious at all," she raised an eyebrow in question.

"I swear," I stressed, "if you know Owen, you'll know this man needs any help he can get. I'm trying anything to get him to actually graduate."

"Alright then," she gave me a small smile, "but only at the cafe when there are people around."

"Yup."

"Okay," she nodded and extended her hand for me to shake, "I'll see you later."

I remember forcing Owen to actually go through with this just so I could spend time with her. And it worked. These sessions were how I met her almost everyday, how I hung out with her all the time. Even when Owen dropped the class eventually, she and I still went on with these sessions.

She was right again, she didn't change. The same reaction to when she got nervous. The same expressions. The same way she only softened when we were alone. I hated that she was still the same person because then it'd mean she wasn't only the same Evelyn who was my girlfriend, who I thought was the one for me. She was the same Evelyn who would start arguments out of nowhere, the same Evelyn who ghosted me whenever things got complicated, the same Evelyn who left.

"Fine, that's not our issue now," I said flatly, "when did you overhear your uncle's phone call exactly?"

"The same day I called you," she replied, "three days before what went down went down."

Three days. Three. Full. Days. If I had just answered her, I could've warned them all three days, and Kai wouldn't have went through all of this because of it. Because of me.

"I know you typed out what you heard, but do you have any idea who he could be talking to?" I cleared my head, not allowing myself to think about anything right now. I said I could handle this, no emotions getting in the way.

"No," she sighed, "I gave you everything I know."

"Do you know any of his friends? People he normally talks to? Anyone?"

"I told you we aren't exactly close," she put her hands in her pockets, looking away, "I visit him sometimes like normal people, but that's about it."

"Visit him?" I let out without meaning to, I never went to Evelyn's house but I knew where she lived from the one time I drove her home. I understood then why she wouldn't let me until I kept insisting, she never wanted to hang out with me here. Never even let me meet any of her family. I don't think I even had one conversation with her mother who I only saw at college graduation once.

"I moved out of here," she nodded after a moment, "it's better than this."

"Moved where?"

She looked at me then, raising an eyebrow, "is that part of your... investigation?"

"That's not an investigation," I defended, "but no, it's not. You don't have to answer that, I'm sorry."

"Is there anything else you want to know?"

"The guards will check out the house, is there a way in without us having to break through?"

"The backdoor is broken," she nodded towards the house that was faraway now, "but still, make sure nobody notices. I don't know if the neighbors are his friends or not. But even if they're not, you should be careful."

"Evelyn?" A soft voice tilted both our hands up, seeing a brunette woman eyeing Eve as if trying to figure her out before her expression shifted from confusion to surprise, "oh my god, it is you. Where have you been?"

"Oh, um, I don't live here anymore, that's why," Evelyn laughed nervously, tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear, "I was just visiting my uncle when I ran into an old friend."

"Oh, hi," the woman waved a hand at me before her gaze fell on something, her eyebrows lowering. I followed her eye-line, seeing she was looking at our cars, "what are the police doing here?"

"They were here when I came by," Evelyn lied, waving a hand, "I think it's some kind of a conditional course because of what happened, they've been in my street too."

"I bet these courses don't happen anywhere else," the woman made a face, "of course they'd blame us first."

"Yeah, it sucks," Evelyn went along, tapping her foot on the ground. She was uncomfortable. She does that when she wants to be anywhere else other than the place she was in.

"Anyway, it was nice running into you," the woman smiled again, "I gotta run, I hope I see you around more."

"Me too," Evelyn waved a hand as the woman walked away, dropping her act with a huff before looking at me, "see? People who are not even a part of the rebellion can hate you if they felt like it."

"But why?"

"Everyone has their reasons," she shrugged, "a lot of people don't have a good life after the reestablishment fell, not everyone was able to rise up, not everyone found jobs or was lucky to get into good schools like I did. They blame you for it, they think it's not fair."

"And they had a good life during the reestablishment? People were dying then, the world was literally ending," I gritted out, memories from my childhood snapping in my head. I didn't have a good life back then. I blamed the government for it too, my own father.

Back then I wasn't really aware thanks to Adam, but I still paid attention. I still knew what would go on in my house. I was aware of how our dad ruined our lives, ruined so many people's lives.

"I don't know," Evelyn's reply drew me out of my thoughts, "I don't really know what goes on in their heads, James."

"What about you?" I found myself asking before I could stop myself. Don't do this, don't get personal. I had a habit of not listening to my mind, "which side are you on?"

"What do you think?" She blinked up at me, her expression giving away nothing before something changed in it, before the corners of her mouth lifted up just a little, "I'm on whatever side you're on."

"Don't do that," I pinned her with a look, feeling my heart skip a beat at the familiar phrase. We used to say that to each other a lot. Whenever we would play games together against our friends in college, I'd say that to her. Whenever we would bet on something, she'd say that to me. And so on and so forth.

"I'm not doing anything, I'm just answering your question," she huffed out, her eyes falling over my shoulder before looking at me again, "do you have anything to ask?"

"I— um, no, just that you should call me if anything happens—"

"Alright," she shot up from her seat, me following, "I'll do that. You better get back to your girlfriend now though. If I were her, I'd be jealous."

"Believe me, she won't get jealous of you," I shot back without taking a moment to filter my words.

"Meh," she tilted her head from left to right, "she looks pretty annoyed to me."

I frowned and looked back, seeing Aurora leaning against the car with her arms crossed. Even from a distance, I could see her eyes squinting at us. What was she doing outside?

"Come on—"

"I'm not going with you," Evelyn's words halted my movements, "I don't want anyone seeing me. And you better get in the car quickly too."

"Okay," I nodded after a moment, "I'll... talk to you soon."

"Yeah," she pulled her lips into a thin line before waving a hand hesitantly, "goodbye."

"Bye," I waved back and turned to go without looking at her again, letting out a breath of relief when I made it all the way to Aurora, "what are you doing outside?"

"I got bored. Why did you take so long—"

"What do you mean you got bored?" I brushed against her and opened the door, "I told you it could be dangerous, get in."

"Don't tell me what to do," she scowled at me with a jerk of her head, her curls bouncing off of her face before falling normally again, "I don't like bossy people."

"Look who's talking," I scoffed, earning a glare that made me smile more. Annoying her is so fun for some reason, "I'm joking, break that chip off your shoulder."

"Has anyone ever tell you how punchable your face looks?" She asked but got in, me following her before closing the door.

"No, people mostly say I have a great face," I gave her a smile, and she rolled her eyes, "why are you so mad at me all the time?"

"I'm not mad," she straightened as we saw the guards walking into positions, hidden from eyesight to keep watch on the house, "you're just either too serious or never serious. And they're both in the wrong situations."

"I'm just trying to lighten up the mood," I explained then thought of something, nudging her shoulder with mine just as our driver started the car. I waited until she looked up at me, "you should try it too."

"Try what?"

"Taking a note off of Kenji's handbook," I smiled, "works every time."

"I haven't spent enough time with him," she said, but I saw her tense posture relax, "when he's there, he doesn't really talk."

"Kenji?" I scoffed, "doesn't talk? Oh my god, you're in for a treat."

"What?" She blinked, her lips curving into a small smile.

"He never shuts up. Plus, with all of his friends being here again. Aurora, you're going to need popcorn... maybe some medicine too."

"Medicine?"

"For the headache," I pointed at my temple, "but all in all, it's hell of an experience."

"Just tell me what Evelyn told you now before I have to hear it in the middle of a marathon, Mrs. Nazeera's words not mine."

"You'll know what she means in a minute," I replied and started telling her about Evelyn and I's conversation. Leaving a tiny detail that felt like it wasn't anyone's to know.

I'm on whatever side you're on.

Bad thing I don't trust you, Eve. Not by one bit. Even when everything in me wanted to. Even when our memories together begged me too. One memory would stand out, reminding me that I don't trust anybody anymore, reminding me that she broke this part in me forever. And I can't fix it. I can't fix me.

≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫

"Bolt, I swear to God," Kai widened his eyes, raising a finger, "sit. Down."

"He is sitting down, Kai," Emma gave him a funny look from across the table "just eat your food."

"He's going to jump on me the moment I look away," he scooted away in his seat, "Zade, come get your dog!"

"Bolt!" Zade called from the next table, "catch!"

"No!" Kai jumped out of his seat the moment bolt stood, rounding the table as the Doberman barked.

"Hey—" Emma shouted when Kai grabbed her by her upper arms, pulling her off of her seat, using her as a human shield as Bolt jumped on her, causing both her and Kai to stumble back, sending them both to the ground. I saw Kai quickly wrap his arms around her, slamming her back to his front as he took the fall, his back hitting the ground as Emma and Bolt crushed on top of him, "Kai!"

"Bolt," I warned, Bolt's head turning to me as I pointed on the ground next to me, watching him run towards me as I kneeled down to tame him down.

"Oh my god," I heard Silas's laugh from my right, walking towards Emma and Kai, "I thought you fearing dogs was a phase."

"I'm not afraid of dogs," Kai defended, helping Emma up and cleaning his clothes, "this one is just crazy. He hates me."

"Who are you fooling? You're terrified to death," Jett shot him a look, resting her arm on Silas's shoulder. They all came an hour after Aurora and I made it back. Winston, Brendan, Silas, Ian, Lily, Sonya and Sara. Even Nouria and Sam and Castle.

We were all eating right now, except for Aaron, who I was sure was hiding somewhere in his closet or something to avoid them. I looked at Aurora, seeing her sitting alone at a table, her eyes pinned to her food as she ate.

I stood up, patting Bolt once before walking up to her, hearing Silas and Kai's argument about Kai could definitely stay with Bolt in one room for an hour just fine. Jett's comment about he'd be screaming like a little girl the moment Bolt steps into the room taking the win to be honest.

"Hey," I said, taking a seat on the table as her head tilted up to me, "why are you sitting on your own?"

"Because I want to," she shrugged, taking a spoonful before chewing and swallowing, "what do you want?"

"You're not really good at doing the friends thing, you know that?" I joked, but she shot me a glare, "why are you being so tense?"

"Nothing, it's just—" she sighed and looked around, "it suddenly got crowded in here. I was used to being here on my own."

"Ahh," I nodded, "you don't have to be anxious around them though, trust me, they act younger than Emma and Kai."

She scoffed just when Ian and Kenji stopped next to our table, not even focusing on us, "dude, you really need to step up your game. People your age are having a blast."

"What are you talking about?" Ian gave him a flabbergasted look, "what game? I've been married for like a decade now."

"So what? I'm close to becoming a grandpa—"

"You're not," Emma cut him off from the table next to us.

"We'll get back to that later," Kenji waved a hand before putting both on his hips, "point is, I'm your age, and I've been married for nearly two decades, to Nazeera, we have a kid together, and he's dating Warner's daughter."

"That should sound like a nightmare to you," Ian said flatly, "how are you or your son still alive?"

"That's the million dollar question, but that's not the point. The point is when are you planning to have a kid?"

"I think that's for us to decide, Kenji," Lily said, resting her arm on Ian's shoulder.

"Stay out of this, Lily," Kenji held his palm up.

"Stay out of— I'm the wife here," she frowned, "this decision is in my hands."

"I'm just saying, you guys are boring," Kenji crossed his arms, "Lily, your taste in men disappoint me."

"Kenji, you married Nazeera," Ian gave him a bored look, "that woman scares the hell out of me. Out of everyone, you chose her to be your life partner."

"This is about to get really good," I whispered to Aurora, "this is where the popcorn part comes."

I watched as Kenji's lips pulled into a smile that turned into a chuckle, speaking with a grin on his face, "if you ever talk disrespectfully about my wife again, I'll kill you."

Ian scoffed and rolled his eyes, but Kenji spoke again, his smile dropping, "sorry, that sounded like a joke, I will actually kill you."

"Alright, break it off," Winston came from behind Kenji, putting a hand on his chest to push him back.

"He started it," Kenji snapped pointing at Ian, "why am I being the one in trouble?"

"Because you're the one who threatened to off him," Brendan chimed in, walking up to them, "it hasn't even been half a day."

"See what I mean?" I turned my attention to Aurora again, seeing her smiling as she watched their bickering before looking at me, "ten year olds trapped in fully grown adult bodies."

"Are they always like that?"

"Since I was the real ten year old, yes," I nodded, "I don't think they're planning on changing any time soon."

She chuckled and went to eat again. She changed into some comfortable clothes when we came back, pulled her hair with a clip, but somehow she still managed to look like she could walk outside like that and people would still gawk at her. I don't know how she does it, how can someone be so effortlessly beautiful?

"Maybe I should spend some time with them then," she said after chewing, "they sound fun."

"And chaotic," I added with a grin, "you should know what you're getting yourself into."

"If things got complicated for me, I'll just use you as my safety net," she shrugged again, talking in a calmer voice than before, "you won't just throw me to the sharks and leave right?"

"Okay, a) that was pretty dramatic. B) no, I won't throw you and leave," I rolled my eyes, but huffed out a laugh anyway, seeing her do the same before she went back to eating.

I don't throw people to deal with things themselves. That wasn't me. I'll just use you as a safety net. Her words rang in my head again. That was me though. A safety net. I tried to remember a single relationship in my life that wasn't my family where I wasn't a safety net to someone. To Owen, my old friend from college, I was the one helping him study because I knew he wouldn't do it himself. To Evelyn, I was the one she took out the frustration of her work and issues on and still forgave her, went along with it.

I realized that I've never really had someone who was my safety net outside of my family. I knew Adam was that person for me, but that's because he's my brother. He raised me. Then Kenji, then Aaron, J, Naz. All of these were technically family. And the thing is, it's not that I can't have someone like that, it's that I'm scared to try to do it. Scared to look for it. Because I simply didn't trust my judgement anymore. I wouldn't trust them. I'm never doing that again.

———————
A/N:

I know this chapter didn't really have all of the characters, and most of it was just with James, Aurora, and Evelyn, but that's because I said James's POVs are going to be important. I wanted to show the other side of where people are coming from to start a rebellion so even though this chapter wasn't really important, I hope it showed something.

Once again, I miss Kai and Emmaline sm even when it's only one chapter.

Also, I apologize for giving our boy trust issues (I'm not really sorry)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.4K 647 21
This is a fan fiction on the "touching Juliette trilogy" from Tahereh Mafi. The story continues two years after Juliette managed to take over sector...
8.9K 200 12
I am writing this cuz i was bored, couldn't sleep and I absolutely love Kenji Kishimoto. This will follow the books and will have dialogue from the b...