timeless, spencer reid [ 1 ]

By maybankwalker

[ criminal minds -- seasons 3-9 ] Bedelia Davis Series: Timeless I DO NOT own Criminal Minds, any of the show... More

cast
001. new members
002. how a team works
003. chili
004. penelope
005. birthright
006. 3rd life
007. damaged
008. elephant's memory
009. in heat
010. lo-fi
011. mayhem
012. the angel maker
013. minimal loss
014. paradise
015. catching out
016. the instincts
017. memoriam
018. masterpiece
019. 52 pickup
020. normal
021. bloodline
022. pleasure is my business
023. demonology
024. omnivore
025. house on fire
026. conflicted
027. a shade of gray
028. amplification
029. to hell... and back
030. nameless, faceless
031. haunted
032. reckoner
033. hopeless
034. cradle to grave
035. the performer
036. 100
037. the slave of duty
038. the uncanny valley
039. risky business
040. mosley lane
041. solitary man
042. a rite of passage
043. ... a thousand words
044. exit wounds
045. the internet is forever
046. our darkest hour
047. the longest night
048. jj
049. remembrance of things past
050. compromising positions
051. devil's night
052. middle man
053. reflection of desire
054. what happens at home...
055. 25 to life
056. corazon
057. sense memory
058. today i do
059. coda
060. valhalla
061. lauren
062. with friends like these...
063. hanley waters
064. the stranger
065. supply and demand
066. it takes a village
067. proof
068. dorado falls
069. painless
070. from childhood's hour
071. epilogue
072. there's no place like home
073. hope
074. self-fulfilling prophecy
075. true genius
076. snake eyes
077. bedelia
078. a family affair
079. i love you, tommy brown
080. foundation
081. heathridge manor
082. the company
083. hit and run
084. the silencer
085. the pact
086. through the looking glass
087. god complex
088. the good earth
090. the wheels on the bus
091. the lesson
092. perennials
093. zugzwang
094. time off
095. all that remains
096. carbon copy
097. the gathering
098. restoration
099. #6
100. brothers hotchner
101. the replicator
102. the inspiration
103. the inspired
104. final shot
105. to bear witness
106. route 66
107. in the blood
108. gatekeeper
109. the return
110. the caller
111. baby
112. maternity leave
113. bully
114. the black queen
115. the road home
116. 200
117. mr. & mrs. anderson
118. gabby
119. persuasion
120. rabid
121. blood relations
122. angels
123. demons
124. wedding
book two

089. the apprenticeship

376 12 1
By maybankwalker

Bedelia watches Derek hit the softball, it going flying.

"Okay. You see my hips? See my hips? You swing right through, nice and easy." He tells Spencer. "All right, come on. You give it a try."

"It was just a ride to the airport. This wasn't exactly what I had in mind when I said I owed you one." Spencer says.

"Hey. You're the one who could've gotten your little girlfriend to give you the ride." Derek reasons.

"She was busy." Spencer frowns.

"You act like this is torture." Derek says. "You know, there are people who think this is fun."

"And he's not one of them. There's really nothing wrong with that. You're just... making the wrong person do it." Bedelia says.

"Believe it or not, most of my childhood sports memories aren't altogether pleasant." Spencer says.

"Reid, it's just one game." Derek says. "We need a body. You might not even have to play."

"Perfect. Can we go now?" Spencer asks, starting to leave, and Bedelia giggles.

"Reid." Derek stops him. "Just humor me? Take the bat and get up there and give it a try." Spencer looks at Bedelia who grins and gives him a double thumbs up. He sighs, taking the bat and going to the plate.

"You're gonna like this, kid. I promise." Derek assures, going to the ball launcher. "See it in here. Just relax. Here we go."

Spencer holds the bat up. Derek shoots a ball and Spencer swings, but misses.

"It's okay." Bedelia says.

"Okay, okay. First try. Keep your eye on the ball." Derek says.

"Gravity plus drag coefficient plug magnus-- I-I see what you're saying. If I can adjust the velocity of my swing--"

"No, what I'm saying is get out of your head. Just feel it."

"Feel it. Feel it."

"Yeah. Don't think. Just feel it."

"Feel it, baby." Bedelia claps.

"Just feel. Don't think, just feel." Spencer holds the bat up again. Derek laughs.

"Here it comes." He warns.

Spencer loudly grunts as he swings, but misses the ball.

"Reid, that's not feeling it." Derek says.

"I'm feeling like an idiot." Spencer says.

Bedelia rolls her lips into her mouth, trying not to laugh, not wanting to seem unsupportive. 

Derek's phone rings and he takes it out of his pocket.

"Well, today's your lucky day. We just got a case." Derek says.

"Yes." Spencer whispers in relief, putting the bat down. "Thank God." He smiles, walking away from the plate. Bedelia chuckles at his relief.

+++

"Last night in Miami, the body of Amanda Lopez was found in an alley." Penelope says. "She had been brutally beaten and suffocated."

"23 years old, originally from Tampa, ran away from her foster home when she was 16 years old." Derek says.

"Runaway, prostitute. She couldn't be more high risk." Blake says.

"And there was evidence of sexual assault, a lot of it." Penelope says.

"Occupational hazard." Rossi says. "No way to tell if our unsub is responsible for that."

"Beating and suffocation." Blake says. "So, he's a sadist."

"A lot of violence. Were there any other victims?" Spencer asks.

"Uh, actually, yes, but not the human variety." Penelope says. "In the last month, 6 puppies have been suffocated and beaten, and thank God there are no photos, because I draw the line at dead dogs."

"We sure it's the same guy?" Rossi asks.

"Identical DNA samples were found at all the crime scenes, but no match in the CODIS database." Hotch says.

"Even if there was a match, it might not give us an ID." JJ says.

"That sure is a lot of rage. I wonder why he's so angry." Derek says.

"It's about the power. Suffocation takes work." Rossi says. "He likes it up close and personal."

"This unsub's just graduated from animals to human victims. We need to stop him before he goes serial. Wheels up in 30." Hotch says.

+++

"The last dog was found in these bushes over here." Derek says. "The other dogs were found in a similar park not far away."

"Except for the one found in an alley about a mile from here." Spencer says.

"Guys." Derek calls, pointing out a young guy and girl making out. "You remember those days?"

"Mm, not really." Spencer shakes his head.

"Well, where did you hang out as a teenager?" Derek asks.

"Library, chemistry lab, library--"

"No, no, no, no, no. I'm talking about normal, non-genius teenage type of stuff." Derek says.

"The mall, coffee shops, parks." Bedelia lists.

"Exactly." Derek says.

"We passed a mall and two coffee shops on the way here." Spencer says.

"And a high school, too." Derek says.

"That would explain why the unsub's so impulsive. He might still be an adolescent." Spencer says. Derek takes his phone out.

"Well, I need your help, sweetness." Derek replies to whatever Penelope said. "I need you to widen your search for violent offenders in the area to juveniles." He tells her. "Thank you, angel." He hangs up.

+++

"I didn't even know the bureau had a softball team." Blake says.

"Since when do you play?" JJ asks Spencer.

"Since Morgan drafted me." Spencer says.

"Really? Why?" Rossi asks.

"Don't let the skinny geek thing fool you." Derek says. "I know the good doctor's deceptively athletic."

"Oh, it's deceptive, all right." Rossi remarks.

"It's so deceptive, Spence doesn't even know about it." Bedelia smirks, gently squeezing his arm.

"Blake, what did you find out?" Hotch asks, walking over.

"None of the pet owners had much." Blake says. "Each of their dogs just disappeared from their yard."

"But he did get into their yards unnoticed, so that means he stalked them and knew their patterns." JJ says.

"What about the list of juvenile offenders Garcia sent us?" Derek asks.

"Local P.D.'s checking out a few names that caught my eye." Hotch says.

"Excuse me, Agent Hotchner." A detective walks over. "Another woman's body was just found." He informs.

"That was quick." Rossi comments.

+++

"So Jose rolls up on the younger unsub while he's doing his thing." Derek says. "But the older unsub just happens to be there to come to his rescue?"

"Or the older one was already there watching." Blake says.

"That attack happened months ago, so they've known each other at least that long." Rossi says.

"Why would a grown man in his 40s connect with a teenager?" JJ asks.

"Easily explained if they're related." Blake says.

"Or if their relationship is sexual." Spencer says.

"Well, if they were related or having sex, there would probably be more of a connection and there might not be such a big disparity in their M.O.s." JJ says.

"The dominant partner might not even allow the submissive to participate in the kill." Rossi says.

"If he's mentoring them, maybe it's because he wants to give back or leave some kind of legacy." Derek says.

"Well, like in most cases, the dominant one probably initiated the contact." Hotch says.

"You think he sought the younger one out." Bedelia says.

"That's usually how it goes." Rossi says. "It takes talent to see talent."

"When and where they met is gonna be the key." Hotch says.

"It's only a matter of time before their partnership dissolves. In any student/teacher dynamic, there comes a day when the student no longer needs the teacher." Spencer says.

+++

"All right, hang on a second, I'm gonna put you on speaker." Derek tells Penelope. He puts the phone on speaker. "Go ahead, baby girl. What you got?"

"Ask and you shall receive." She says. "I widened my search, got a hit. One Rudi Stein. Had an affinity for hammering and chewing on hookers in New York. Convicted in '89. Had a massive stroke right there in the Sing Sing prison yard, died last July."

"That M.O. is too similar to what we've seen not to be related." Rossi says.

"But the timeline doesn't fit." Blake says. "Stein got locked up over 20 years ago."

"What if the mentor got mentored himself?" Spencer asks.

"So you think Stein mentored our older unsub?" Derek asks.

"Then the unsub learned his skills in prison." Hotch says.

"There's a reason they call it Crime U." Rossi says.

"If the guy who took the time to mentor him suddenly died, it could have triggered his need to pay it forward." Bedelia says.

"Garcia, I need everything you've got on Rudi Stein -- cellmates, relatives, known associates, and anything you can find." Hotch tells her.

"Will do. Stay tuned. I'm out." She hangs up.

+++

"Go ahead, Garcia." Hotch tells her.

"Sir, I've got something. From 2002 to 2006, Rudi Stein shared a work detail with a David Roy Turner. He's a Miami resident. Now, it must have been a match made in Heaven, because they remained pen pals after Turner was released." Penelope informs.

"What was Turner in for?" Rossi asks.

"He assaulted an underage male prostitute." Penelope informs.

"So he has a preference for younger boys." JJ says.

"It explains why he chose a teenage apprentice." Blake says.

"You got an address?" Hotch asks.

"Uh, yeah, I already sent them. I got a home and two work addresses. Turner works as a groundskeeper for the Miami-Dade Parks and Rec, and he's also a part time bartender." Penelope informs.

"Morgan, Davis, Blake, and Reid, take the residence. The rest of us will take the work address." Hotch says.

+++

They get to the house and Derek kicks the door open. The four split up, looking around.

"It's clear!"

"Clear."

"Clear."

"Clear."

"There's nobody here." Derek says as they all get in one room. He kneels down and opens a laptop. He calls Penelope.

"Hi, Papi Chulo. What's up?" She asks.

"Hey, good lookin', I got David Roy Turner's laptop in front of me. Can you pull everything off of it?" Derek asks.

"In my sleep. Power it up. Let's go." Penelope says.

+++

"Hey, Morgan, Delia, look at this stuff." Spencer says. "Two different closets filled with this stuff, all unopened and unused." The two walk over at where Spencer is going through a bunch of dog toys and other things for dogs.

"No dog lives here." Derek says. "I don't see a bowl or a crate or a leash, nothing."

"Everything was purchased from Hal's Pet Shop." Spencer says.

"I found these under his bed." Blake puts a box down. "Haven't gone through every one, but they go back to 2006." She takes a large book out, giving it to Spencer.

"Well, that's the year Turner was released from prison." Derek says. "Could be a habit he picked up inside."

"Loves sports. He's into leisure and travel. And he is a big fan of murder." Blake says.

"It's not random. There's individual sections for each case." Spencer says.

"It gets better." Blake says and they look at the page she has open.

"This guy was tracking the animal murders." Derek says.

"Yep. Every one of them." Blake says.

"Hey, guys." Spencer puts the book down, one photo of a teenage boy on one page and the other page has two photos of Turner with the boy.

"That looks like the boy from the composite sketch." Bedelia says. Spencer turns the page to reveal two photos of Turner and the boy on one page and two photos of the boy alone on the other page.

"Whoever the kid is, Turner's obsessed with him." Derek says. His phone rings and he answers it. "Hey, mama. Tell me something good."

"Well, I cleaned out this nutbag's laptop. The guy was a torture porn connoisseur. I mean, the dude makes Rick James seem Amish." Penelope says. "I also looked at his emails and social networks. He's been in touch a lot with a Toby Whitewood, and by a lot, I mean a couple, 3 times a day for the last year."

"Well, what do you got on Whitewood?" Derek asks.

"He's a 15 year old sophomore at McKinley High School. His parents divorced two years ago. He lives with his mom, Claire. That's about it. He's squeaky clean." Penelope says.

"Garcia, what about employment or volunteer activities?" Spencer asks.

"Pause. He works part time at Hal's Pet Shop." Penelope says.

"You got a picture of the kid?" Blake asks.

"Sent." Penelope says.

Blake takes her phone out and clicks on the picture. The others lean over to see it.

"Garcia, that's him. You got an address?" Derek asks.

"Yep. Work address has been sent to you. Home address is actually closer to Hotch." Penelope says.

"Thanks." He hangs up.

"That explains how he got close to Toby. Somehow he figured out who was committing the animal murders, he stalked him at his job and eventually earned his trust." Spencer says.

+++

"Garcia, what do you got?" Derek asks.

"Two things. One -- David Roy Turner's father, Nate, he was a boat mechanic. He owned a repair shop. He died 12 years ago, but according to public records, it's still in his name. Yes, I just sent you the address."

Blake shows him the address.

"Yeah, I got it. Hang on, guys." Derek says before making a quick U-turn. Bedelia tightly holds onto the handle to stop herself from sliding.

"What was the second thing, Garcia?" Blake asks.

"The second thing is is that the manager at the pet store where Toby works at was just reported missing by her fiancé, and her name is Hollie Riggio." Penelope says.

"If Toby had anything to do with the girl's disappearance, then his victim preference is changing." Spencer says.

"Or the prostitutes were just practice for the girl he really wanted." Derek says.

+++

"FBI!" Derek shouts before Turner can kill Hollie. "Drop it!"

"David Roy Turner?" Blake asks.

"Put the weapon down right now." Derek demands.

"I've already been to prison." Turner says. After a few moments, he goes to kill Hollie, but Derek shoots him. Derek goes over to him while Blake and Bedelia go to Hollie and help her.

+++

Spencer and Bedelia get to the softball game. They both wave when Derek notices them.

"Oh, get outta here." Derek says. "Hey, pretty boy and pretty lady." He jogs over to the fence.

"Hey." Spencer greets.

"You made it. I like that." Derek says.

"Oh, don't let him fool you. Almost had to drag him kicking and screaming." Bedelia smirks.

"No, you didn't." Spencer argues.

"Mm-hmm." She hums.

"You bring a glove?" Derek asks.

"Glove? I don't own shorts." Spencer says.

"That's true." Bedelia nods.

"Okay, don't even worry about it, kid." Derek says. "I got an extra one. Dyson's wife..." Spencer nods. "Had her baby last night." Spencer nods again. "So today is your day to play second base."

"Wait, what?"

"Uh-huh."

"I can't play second base."

"Oh, yes, you can. You're gonna. No such thing as can't, kid."

"That's wrong, but not in this case. You'll be fine." Bedelia assures her boyfriend.

"Go, team!" Penelope exclaims. JJ cheers as the group walk over to the three.

"Oh, what are you guys doing here?" Spencer asks.

"Oh, we were not gonna miss this for the world." JJ says.

"Awesome." Spencer mutters.

"Great day for it." Hotch says.

"So the secret service, huh?" Blake asks.

"Yeah, yeah. We haven't been able to beat these chumps in 5 years." Derek says.

"They've got nothing to do but practice." Rossi says.

"And party." Penelope puts a cap on Spencer's head.

"Aw, there he is. Let's go, baby." Derek says.

Bedelia gently shakes Spencer's arm, grinning up at him.

The others go to the bleachers.

"You'll be great. Just do your best." Bedelia says.

"My best isn't all that great." Spencer says.

"I believe in you." Bedelia says, kissing him. "Try to have fun, at least."

~ ~ ~

The team cheers as Derek walks up to the plate. The pitcher throws the ball and Derek hits it. They all stand and cheer as he runs.

Spencer grabs a bat and walks to the plate while the team cheers him on.

"You got this, Spence!" Bedelia shouts as he walks up to the plate. "Come on!"

"You can do it!" Penelope yells.

The pitcher throws the ball and Spencer swings, but misses.

"Strike one!"

The pitcher throws the ball, Spencer missing again.

"Strike two!"

Spencer misses the third ball.

"Strike three!"

"It's okay!" Bedelia calls out as the team each yell out their own words. "It's all right!"

~ ~ ~

Derek hits the ball and runs off.

Bedelia watches Spencer grab a bat. He flips it, but flinches, letting it fall onto the ground. She smirks in amusement. He goes to the plate.

"You can do it! You can do it!" Rossi calls out.

"You can do this!" Derek yells.

"You got this!" Bedelia shouts. "Let's go!"

"Hey, this guy can't hit. Bring it in." One of the players from secret service says.

"Fuck off." Bedelia mutters under her breath.

"Time out! Time out!" Derek calls. "Time out." He runs over to Spencer.

They watch the two talk for a few moments until Derek returns to his spot.

"You can do this! It's just a game!" JJ yells.

"Come on, Spence! You can do it!" Bedelia screams.

"Come on, pretty boy!" Derek encourages.

"He's the man. He's the man." Rossi says.

The pitcher throws the ball and Spencer misses.

"Strike one!"

"That's all right." Rossi says.

"It's okay!" JJ says.

"It's all right!" Bedelia assures.

"Attaboy. Attaboy. Whoo!" Rossi calls.

The pitcher throws the ball and Spencer misses again.

"Strike two!"

"This guy's got nothin'." One of the secret service players call out.

"Come on. Don't overanalyze, just do it." Bedelia mumbles. "Come on, come on. You can do it!"

Spencer hits the ball.

"Ah!" Bedelia screams as she shoots to her feet. "Yes! Yes! Go! Run! Run!"

The team yells for him to run and he starts running to the different bases. They cheer as Spencer makes his way around the field.

Spencer throws himself onto the ground, sliding to home base in time.

"Yes! Yes! You did it! You did it! You did it!" Derek lands on Spencer partly before pulling him up and into a hug. The whole team cheers, going up to the fence as Derek picks Spencer up, all reveling in the win.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

243K 5.4K 50
Adopted daughter of Aaron Hotchner joins the BAU. Harper Vincent, naturally reserved with her head always in her sketchbook. Spencer Reid, naturally...
395K 10.1K 89
[ criminal minds -- seasons 1-5 ] Madelyn Banks Series: How to Save a Life Surrender I DO NOT own Criminal Minds, any of the show's characters or sto...
31.5K 1K 22
[ criminal minds -- seasons 1-? ] Danielle Reid Series: Safe Inside I DO NOT own Criminal Minds, any of the show's characters or storylines. I ONLY o...
9.4K 69 23
-Sometimes the odds just aren't in your favour- *I don't own any of the criminal minds character* *will and JJ aren't together and henry is nonexiste...