Love Story Short | Jikook/Koo...

De jotajotakapa

Jimin has a way of rekindling memories in Jungkook. Memories that leave him dizzy and nervous like it is his... Mai multe

Introduction | Prestory
Chapter 1
Entry I
Chapter 2
Entry II
Chapter 3
Entry III
Chapter 4
Entry IV
Chapter 5
Entry V
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Entry VI
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21

Chapter 19

113 7 37
De jotajotakapa

[A/N: Hi my flowers! 🌸 I'm back with a majestic chapter! It took me forever to be motivated to write and polish this plot but I've done it. I know it's been months so feel free to refresh your memory by reading the previous chapter, cuz this resumes right from the end of it.

Anyways, enjoy a whooping 7700K-ish words! And let me know how you feel about it! Hope you all have been healthy. I've missed our little community. <3]

The plan for the day is simple, yet daunting.

Corniglia. The picturesque village, perched high on the cliffs, offering breathtaking views of the Ligurian Sea. What Jungkook understands from this description of the village in Namjoon's brochure is they are going to do a ton of climbing and hiking. He feels like that's the only thing they've done anyway since they stepped foot into this country.

"Corniglia is the only one of the five Cinque Terre villages that doesn't have direct sea access due to its location on a high cliff," Namjoon explains as the reason why they are not taking the ferry while ushering everyone into cars in groups. "I'll be going with the car in front. I'll see you guys there soon," he pats the roof of the minivan where Jungkook, Yoongi, Jimin, Sang Du, his butler, and another one of his companions are seated, flashing them all a smile.

Namjoon may not be aware of this, but Jungkook is less than thrilled to be lumped together in a car with some mafia gang. In all honesty, now that Yoongi knows where Hoseok is, Jungkook thought they'd immediately abandon the tour and embark on an urgent operation to catch the criminal. Instead, Yoongi is reflective, almost in a daydream. All he told Jungkook was to trust him and wait... which seems hardly fair given Jungkook's deep involvement in his personal affairs, but Jungkook is not about to bring this up after the way he left his friend stranded last night.

It feels intentional, but who's he to judge?

It's supposed to be a 20-minute drive to Corniglia. The scenery is stunning along the coastline on their left, and the neat rows of olive trees on the hills on their right. This is their last stop in the trip. Jungkook has mixed feelings for this little rainbow island, but one thing is clear: Vernazza, with its unique charm and unforgettable experiences, has gained a special place in his heart.

Yoongi is dozing off on his right, probably exhausted from not sleeping all night. Next to the window to his left, to noone's surprise, Jimin is applying an obscene amount of sunscreen again. Jungkook's gaze lingers on him, amusement stirring within. Why is this so him? Paying the closest attention to the most trivial thing, always careful and intense? Come to think about it, this random trait of Jimin's always fascinated him.

Jungkook's gut twists at the depth of his thoughts. He stares out the window so he doesn't stare at Jimin.

Not more than ten minutes into the drive, the car starts shaking. It soon grinds into a halt, startling everyone in the car, including the driver. The petit man sputters into his phone by the trunk of car for about five minutes before a frustrated Yoongi decides to take the matters into his own hands.

"How hard can it be," he mutters under his breath, slamming out of his seat to check the trunk. He then pokes around for another five minutes, before announcing, "Well, it's definitely broken."

A cute crimson covers his cheeks upon meeting the gaze of the unimpressed group gathered around him and the trunk.

As annoying as the unexpected setback is, there are only two ways to go about it. Either waiting for the car in front of them to drop the first group and come back to pick them up, or braving a shortcut through the foliage-covered path leading up to the village on foot, as the driver describes it.

Although Jungkook doesn't have a preference, he senses the hesitation from Jimin when the group decides to walk the rest of the way. There is no way his back is as fine as he says it is. It does upset Jungkook but he doesn't intervene. Keeping an eye on him will do, he supposes.

Nearly 15 minutes into hiking the trail along the rugged coastline, Jungkook feels a desperate call of nature. They are not entirely abandoned, there are some ocassional hikers and local workers around, but this place is no Gangnam either. They are basically surrounded by cliffs and an occasional view of the sea. There isn't even one portable toilet in sight. Jungkook silently curses whoever thought hiking a random trail in the middle of nowhere was a great idea, especially considering they are all tourists with little to no Italian skills.

Exasparated, he takes advantage of the tired sighs coming from the group to suggest taking a break, and makes a run to the nearest dense bush. It's not the epitome of coolness, he knows, but then again, who's there to care? With Sang Du hanging around Jimin the entire hike, it's not like Jimin has time to spare him a look.

Jungkook is not being sensitive about it – he can almost hear Jimin lecture him on how prejudiced and black and white he is and whatnot. But it's not that! Jungkook trusts his instincts, and his instincts tell him that there is something peculiar about this man that he doesn't want Jimin to do anything with.

It's a reasonably fast trip to the trees (bugs biting his ass is scary in itself). But why isn't he surprised when he finds Jimin and Sang Du grouped over a rock, chatting heartily about something that puts Jimin's full teeth on display?

Jungkook hears Yoongi approach him but doesn't pay him mind. He is zeroed in on the pair, focused on that hand on Jimin's shoulder, the leaning-in-for-a-joke trick, and the way it easily works to turn Jimin into a disco ball, all smiley and playful and shit.

"Not what I meant by pay attention to him," Yoongi pinches his arm, getting Jungkook to blink awake from his daydream. "You look like a werewolf about to pounce its prey."

"Me?" Jungkook huffs a laugh. "Really?" he points to the suit-wearing stupid man next to Jimin. "Tell me you think anything good can come from a clown like that, hyung. Who fucking wears silk out of everything, on a hike?"

They both stare at the man, whose silk purple suit sticks out like a sore thumb amidst the greens and browns of nature. He looks like a disco ball lost in the woods, for God's sake!

Yoongi inhales a sharp, clever breath. "Have you ever heard of the saying..." he flickers his fingers humorously, "...to each their own?" It's followed by his signature 'smartypants' expression that steals a smile from Jungkook's face.

"Not in my lifetime. Must be an old people thing," Jungkook manages to dodge Yoongi's swing before it lands, storming towards his target. "Be back!"

Jimin is slightly turned away from him so he doesn't notice Jungkook approaching, but Sang Du does. They lock eyes, and the intensity in the man's gaze sends shivers down Jungkook's spine.

Jungkook is nervous. There is a rhythm beating on his chest which makes him feel wrong, or wronged. But why can't he justify it? He knows he has an excuse for butting in. He always has them in the moment. But with the way Jimin sees right through him, sometimes in ways Jungkook himself can't, he is scared to reveal parts of himself unintentionally.

"That's perfect," Jimin finishes pointing at something on Sang-Du's screen as Jungkook crouches next to him. He feels a jolt as their thighs touch, quickly realizing he has sat, let's say... closer than intended. He is sure Jimin notices it too, because there is a subtle shift beside him, and sure enough, Jimin is turning towards him with eyes wide, an expression that melts Jungkook's heart when he says "Jungkook," so softly.

Jungkook is sure Jimin could steal at least ten secrets from his eyes just in these few seconds if he wanted to. Jungkook sucks at being unintentional.

"What are you guys talking about?" he leans in, a bit too enthusiastically, to see what's on Sang Du's screen, but the suspect defensively withdraws his phone, discomfort visible from the way he straightens his very purple very silky jacket.

"Just some business matters," he raises a nonchalant eyebrow, throwing Jimin a smirk like they got some secret joke going on. It's giving power move, and Jungkook can't help but feel a pang of annoyance seeing Jimin reciprocate it.

"Business, huh," he plays into it, suppressing the urge to throw his arm between Jimin and Sang Du and wave it aggressively like a windshield wiper until Jimin is camped on his other side. "Well, you're in luck. I happen to be a business analyst, so this should be right up my alley," he grins extrovertedly.

Hearing that, Jimin twists halfway towards him, eyes finding him before his head fully turns. He shoots Jungkook a captivating look as if he is sizing him up, mouth half open like he is about to intervene but isn't sure if it's necessary. And what exactly will you do, Jungkook marvels, if I create the need for you to intervene? What could he do? The longer he stares at that naturally contoured, marble-sculpted face of Jimin's, and for a fleeting moment his pink lips, the further he feels provoked by the simmering heat in the air, the sun beating on his skin, urging him to test the boundaries. Hell, is today the hottest day on earth?

"Thanks...?" Sang Du points his hand towards Jungkook. Oh, his name.

"Jungkook," he moves his head so Jimin isn't blocking his view of the man, subconsciously careful to not break their physical proximity for reasons he would die but admit. "Jeon Jungkook."

Probably not the best idea to reveal his real name, but it's not very possible to ponder upon trivial things as such in a critical moment of war.

"Right. Jimin here has been a massive help already. I think I got it covered," Sang Du whisper-mouths a thanks directed at Jimin, which Jimin returns with a shy and polite nod of head, his focus no longer on Jungkook.

"You got this," he tells Sang Du.

He got what? What he got exactly?

Something about Jungkook not a lot of people know: he might be fierce and all, but he doesn't perform much outside of the safety net of his friends and family, where he knows his audacious shows and tantrums will ironically be tolerated, and even validated. But toss him in a sea of strangers, and he will flap around like fish out of water — which makes his sudden surge of confidence to confront Sang Du even more bizarre. He doesn't necessarily know where it's coming from, but he doesn't hate it. He'll learn something new about himself today.

"Hey—I've been meaning to ask," he interjects, casually scratching the bottom of his nose. Warning. I'm about to get real nosy with you. "Where is the suit from? Love the business mogul look you're going for," he sizes Sang Du's outfit with his hands, finally saying out loud what he's been truthfully pondering since he saw this guy.

Right away, he can tell it's not the first thing Sang Du prepared to hear when he woke up this morning. Not as far as to say Jungkook hit a carotid nerve, but the slight raise of the man's chin and the silent challenge in his demeanor gives it away — this is indeed a touchy subject. He hasn't been called out enough, is Jungkook's honest opinion on the situation if anyone's wondering.

"This old thing?" Sang Du does respond, adjusting his jacket like earlier. Nervous habit, must be. "It's custom-made. Can't let the tourists think I'm just another beach bum," his eyes land on Jungkook's outfit, which is a simple t-shirt and some jeans, the corner of his lips turning as if to say... oh, now Jungkook is triggered.

"Custom-made, of course," Jungkook nods aggressively, biting his lip to stop himself from delivering an unfiltered insult right at Sang Du's face. He knows Jimin is on his toes, trying to assess where this could go wrong, and it annoys Jungkook more than he'd like to admit it makes him jealous.

What do you see in this guy, Jimin? Or better, how do you not see what I'm seeing?!

"You know what they say, though," Jungkook keeps at it, impressed by his own persistence. "It's not just the suit that makes the businessman. It's the team, right?" he delivers with the expertise of an employee who has watched his director spew corporate nonsense in at least a hundred all-hands Monday meetings. He nods to Sang Du's butler with a snort. "So what's the deal with your younger sibling over there?" Both heads turn towards the figure doing hand pushups against the bark of a tree. "Is he training to become the next business mogul? A successor?" he asks with a bite, observing Sang Du's expression darken with a mix of satisfaction and apprehension.

He might have gone a bit too far with that one.

Jimin's hand squeezes his knee, and Jungkook takes that as an ominous sign that he is up for an earful if he doesn't stop.

"That's actually funny, I'll give you that," Sang Du responds after some pondering, his tone dripping with sarcasm. "Have you ever considered a career in entertainment, Jeon Jungkook-ssi? Perhaps you should leave the suits to those who actually wear them," he adds, and for just a moment, Jungkook's facade of confidence waivers, his pride stung by Sang Du's sly blow. The impact of the comeback isn't lost on Jimin either — he lets out a sound of pain on Jungkook's behalf, his lips curling into an 'o' shape in amusement before he covers his mouth with the back of his hand. "But enough about that. We wouldn't want to bore Jimin with our banter, would we?"

This little prick. There is no way he is older than Jungkook but he dares look down on him.

Highly irritated, Jungkook forces a smile. "Of course not. Wouldn't want to overwhelm him with all this business talk," he retorts just to not let Sang Du have the last word, but sensing Jimin's discomfort, it was probably not the best thing to say.

Jimin is out of patience. "Thank you both for being so considerate of me," he finally interrupts, voice strained as he grabs Jungkook by the arm and pulls them both upright. "Excuse us," he adds before forcefully dragging him away into a secluded area amidst the trees.

Blessed by the universe, this is the same spot Jungkook had peed just minutes ago. Great. He'll try not to think about that pleasant memory as Jimin slaughters his ego.

Jungkook doesn't even get a word in before Jimin snaps at him. "Don't."

Jungkook swallows hard, stands like a literal emoji, and just... don'ts. What do you do? He remembers his excuses, lines them up in the front of his mind and fast, because he knows he won't get a second chance this time — Jimin will either hear him once, or... kill him and throw his body into a ditch in some Italian farmer's property. Possibly nearby.

They stand in silence for a while, the only true sound being the gentle rustling of a spontaneous breeze through the trees. Jimin stares ahead into the fields, his hair tousled by the wind, his white tee shirt clinging to his frame in all the right ways. Jungkook can't help but glance at him, at the way he flawlessly fits into the nature scenery like some sort of farm prince. And then he slaps himself — unfortunately in real life, as he belatedly realizes — to straighten his thoughts. Jimin does not look impressed with him but he claps for Jungkook.

"Thanks for doing that on my behalf," he walks closer to him. "And for all your hard work earlier. I was just starting to wonder what next you had up your sleeve, and you..." harsher, slower claps, "outdid yourself gorgeously."

Jungkook swallows down his excuses, disarmed by the closeness of their bodies. Jimin doesn't stop when he is two feet away, no, he steps even closer, gripping Jungkook by the strap of his bag to prevent him from stepping back when he senses that's exactly what Jungkook is about to do. Breath stuck in his chest, the most Jungkook can do is avert his gaze, lips pressed together in a futile attempt to protect his innermost vulnerabilities, holding his feelings at bay.

He was supposed to look after Jimin today, and he has managed to piss him off already.

"You weren't shy getting all up in my space when Sang Du-ssi was around. What's wrong now?" Jimin prompts with a low voice, but eyes alight with passion. The implications behind his words intimidate the inner battalion in Jungkook, the part of himself always at war with the truths Jimin slaps in his face. He prepares to retort — but immediately backtracks upon meeting the confident spark in Jimin's eyes, pools of liquid amber, drawing him in, disarming his resolve. "You're done being an asshole to me in private, and you've decided to embarrass me in front of people now?"

Jungkook finally pushes out of his grip, unable to hold his breath for longer. Hands on hips, he takes a few moments to get himself together, only staring at Jimin when he is sure the man won't try to make another move.

He needs to change the subject before Jimin drowns him in it.

"What were you talking about earlier?" Jungkook almost stutters, and in frank honesty, all his excuses waver like potatoes in a hot frying pan. This is what he saw coming. He is going to burn. Jimin is done tolerating or validating his audacious tantrums. Today the roles are reversed, and Jungkook is tongue-tied in Jimin's presence, the person he felt like he had the utmost right to be a ruthless freak towards just until yesterday.

"I don't owe you an answer," Jimin shrugs. He is right, too. He looks done, until he spontaneously decides... he isn't? He takes a tentative breath, ties his arms and sits on his hip. "I was giving him dating advice."

Jungkook's entire body shrieks. "You were what?!"

Jimin does not budge. Oh how it drives Jungkook crazy.

"What do you mean by that, Jimin?"

"It's a personal matter. I can't say more."

Jungkook huffs a deep breath, trying to hold it together. This has gotten twice as annoying. "And what exactly did he do to earn your trust?"

Finally something he says has Jimin off balance. "He is nice to me," Jimin retorts defensively anyway.

"Are you serious? He is nice to you?" Jungkook barks out a laugh. "Jimin I warned you against that man. Do you not see how shady him and his bodyguards are? How do you know he isn't trying to hurt you — or use you for some ulterior motive?"

"You should be the last person to tell me that," Jimin bites the inside of his bottom lip, eyes filling with anger as he stares Jungkook down.

"What dating advice was it? What about it? What did you talk about?" Jungkook tries again, this time fear lacing his heart. He knows he is being out of line. But he is so exhausted of playing games, of having back and forth arguments with Jimin, of not hearing him and of not being heard. He's just had enough.

"I already told you, it's a personal—"

"I won't push you away."

Jungkook's words hang in the air, reverberating like a shaky flame in a gust of wind. The realization of what he has said hits him, but the shock is already rippling through Jimin's expression. They hold each other's gaze, and a moment of sudden shift unfolds. Jungkook is not sure where those words of commitment came from, but the way Jimin looks at him right now, as if his heart is going to leap from his chest to hug Jungkook's own, makes him want to be brave. He does not regret his words, nor does he takes them back. He stands his ground, this mission overdue.

He might have a weird timing, but at least he is trying.

"You said you want to talk things through. I'll do it," he thinks his voice is shaking, palms clammy as Jimin watches him in disbelief.

"You won't push me away," Jimin confirms airily, still not trusting his word. Damn it Jimin. It shouldn't be this hard. You only see through me when I don't want you to.

"I'll stop being an asshole," Jungkook blurts out, cheeks flushed with shame as he struggles to maintain eye contact with Jimin. He can't believe he's still talking. "And I'm sorry for—"

"He has a date with a guy named Mickey today. He was asking for tips on what to message him."

Another bout of silence ensues, lengthier this time, as they both digest the unexpectedness of Jimin's admission now. Did Jungkook make it sound like he was making a deal? Holy shit, that was... so sudden. He didn't expect Jimin to cave in at all. The deeper he thinks into it, the more he realizes how much Jimin must have suffered just to obtain a flicker of hope in getting things right with him.

And I am a walking red flag.

Jimin's face is glowing in pink. He also looks like he doesn't have the nerve to budge. Jungkook holds back the tears building up in his eyes, but he is not sure if he is succeeding.

"I um..." Jimin scratches his neck, uselessly turning as if he is suppressing an urge to flee. "I think we should go."

"Oh y-yeah," Jungkook clears his throat. "Thanks for letting me know," he tries to at least express his gratitude, but Jimin seems to be avoiding him entirely. He looks like he is searching for a moist spot to dig on the ground, funny enough, not to bury Jungkook but a hiding spot for himself. It's a cute sight, and it makes Jungkook feel all tingly, a smile tugging on his lips despite the heaviness of his emotions.

Their little moment is short-lived as Jimin, distractedly walks into the figure of Yoongi behind him.

"What the hell?" Yoongi shouts.

They are both startled. Jungkook jogs over to do damage control but Yoongi is madder than he should be for something as simple Jimin accidentally colliding into him.

"I'm so sorry—"

"What did you just—" Yoongi swings his pointing finger at Jimin like he is shocked. "Repeat what you just said."

"I'm so—"

"Not that!" Yoongi shouts again, hands landing on his knees as if he's trying to steady himself. He lifts his head, watching Jimin with desperate eyes. "Did you say that guy was going on a date with Mickey?"

Jimin's expression shifts to one of alarm, and Jungkook curses inwardly for making him look like a snitch. He never intended for Jimin to disclose someone else's secret so carelessly (even if said person is lame llama Sang Du); he was merely seeking answers for himself. But Yoongi does not have the patience to wait for Jimin to decide what to do. He seizes him by the shoulders and starts pleading.

"Jimin—tell me what you know. Mickey—Mickey is the name of Hoseok's dog and his alias as a tattooist. I know he is meeting up with someone today at Corniglia and I need to know if that fucker is the person he is meeting—"

"Holy shit hyung... yes, he is meeting a Mickey," Jimin starts, eager to tell now that he realizes the connection. "They had, they have a lunch date in a restaurant—"

Wait a minute...

The conversation Jungkook overheard between Sang Du and his butler yesterday suddenly come flooding back. A surge of realization washes over him.

I am the man on the mission, and I am the one who made the oath to clear my father's name.

I initiated contact with the target.

He took the bait.

I'll get to the bottom of it.

Goosebumps cover his body,

Either Jungkook is getting too ahead of himself, or the 'target' in this equation equals Hoseok. It's not far off from being a possibility, is it? But how would Hoseok manage to get himself entangled with these shady figures, leading them all the way to Italy?

Well, if the irony isn't glaring — if the three of them aren't here for that same reason. It's enough to make Jungkook want to tear his hair out in frustration.

Another question dawns upon him.

"How do you know that Hoseok has a date today?" he poses at Yoongi in confusion and a hint of outrage, because what the hell went down over the span of one night! How could he miss such a crucial detail, and how did Yoongi not fill him in!

The producer sighs hastily, trying to brush him off with little information. "I listened in on his conversation with Namjoon last night, okay? Jimin—"

"That's why you didn't corner him last night?!" Jungkook yells so loud Yoongi smacks him on the back of his head. He is not deterred, however, still under the sheer astonishment of not having caught a hint on this. He resorts to whisper-shouting. "You wanted to catch him on a date? Really hyung?"

"We don't have time for this!" Yoongi stomps his foot on the ground, scaring them both. "While you dumbasses were having your lover's quarrel, the rest of the group went ahead — and that purple-suited guy was in a hurry! Do you wonder WHY?!"

Fuck. There is no time to waste, that's for sure.

"Come on then, let's move!" Jimin pulls at them. "I'll tell you the details on the way."

Fate is drawing them closer to the breaking point, and Jungkook wonders if Italy will gift them a resolution or a reckoning, afterall.

...

Navigating the lush landscape that surrounds Corniglia without proper guidance quickly proves to be a challenge. As they pick up their pace, the landscape around them shifts into a less trodden, unmarked terrain, shadowed by the cliffs of Corniglia. Realization dawns heavy that they are not where they intend to be.

"We must have missed a turn," Jungkook pants, coming to a halt with resignation. Ahead, the path disappears into an expanse of untouched nature, a stark transition from the bushy terrain behind them."This... this can't be the shortcut."

"The village is up there!" Yoongi points to the settlements on the elevation across the fields, the farthest ahead of the three men. He shoulders his backpack with a sense of determination. "Shortcut or not, the path must lead to Corniglia. Let's keep going."

This is madness, because there is no path where he is headed to! Even if they end up in Corniglia somehow, a detour around the cliff could take them hours. On the other hand, their only other alternative seems to be hiking down all the way to the main road — which they should have never strayed from in the first place — where a huge line of stairs akin the Great Wall of China awaits them, extending along the cliff towards the village like the skirt of a ballerina.

Lardarina. Jungkook now recalls the highlight in Namjoon's brochure — 382 steps carved into the heart of nature, the tourists on its stairs resembling ants climbing a giant's spine. The mere thought of being one of the people up there makes his head spin, and the closer he stares, the crazier it gets. What if the land just... titled sideways?

"Jungkook!"

Jimin's voice jolts him back to reality like a startled cat yanked from a nap by a splash of water. Can nature curse humans? He feels so! He is still a tad lightheaded as he and Yoongi, jogging from opposite directions, join Jimin.

They find Jimin at the boundary of a local's property, marked by a low stone wall encrusted with moss and age. The land here is alive with cultivation, so dense indeed you'd need to pay very close attention to notice the staircase carved into the hillside, winding its way up through the lush greenery into the village.

Jungkook's eyes flicker with hope.

"Shortcut!"

In that moment of elation, Yoongi grabs Jimin's head and passionately kisses it, dismissing the amused expression on both men's faces as he vaults over the vault. No questions asked, Jimin and Jungkook fall into step right behind him. Sprinting with urgency, it takes them a few minutes of frantic, breathless running along the narrow uneven paths to reach the stairs.

Second to climb, Jungkook watches over the land they've trespassed with a racing heart. Just a few days ago, he was so confined by his worries and ambitions, almost like he had forgotten that there was a world out here. But life is so vast, it's so boundless with possibilities, and it feels like an almost joke how he trapped himself into an imaginary bubble of hopelessness and despair.

His inner cheerleader took it too far this time. It isolated him from the experiences that make life worth living, Jungkook realizes. The earthy smell of tilled soil, the sensation of foliage brushing against his arms as the races through the land, the madness of it all — this is it. The world won't always wait for him to get over himself, so maybe he should take the reins and fully experience the moment, rejoice in it.

He takes a big breath. He is renewed with a sense of purpose. He never wants to forget this feeling.

He extends a hand to Jimin, helping him advance through the narrow staircase. Jimin latches onto Jungkook's backpack with his other hand. They manage to move in that position for a while but Jungkook is aware that stairs are not where someone with back pain should be, and this time, he is not going to be irresponsible.

"Hyung," he stops them on their tracks, getting Yoongi's attention instead of Jimin's. He sends the producer on this way with a hand sign conveying that everything is alright. "Jimin hyung," he hurriedly squeezes Jimin's hand, successfully getting him to stop moving and pay him mind.

The air is filled with the scent of the sea sparkling under the sun, openly spreading behind Jimin's silhouette. Jimin's shirt is soaked in sweat, cheeks washed in red despite the amount of sunscreen he has applied. He must have a skin issue, Jungkook notices, that's why he used so much sunscreen. Of course he wouldn't notice if his only concern has been making fun of the older man all this time.

"Come," he puts his bag down, kneeling on the stairs, offering his back to Jimin. "I'll help you up."

Jimin's lips part in surprise, bewilderment taking over his eyes. "Jungkook—"

"You're going to get hurt, just come here," Jungkook insists, pushing down his awkwardness. He knows where Jimin's hesitation is coming from, and it's not like he isn't feeling the butterflies either, but they don't have time to think about it. He grabs Jimin's hands when he feels them on his shoulders, fastens them around his neck, wears his backpack on his front, and stands up with a single grunt.

"Will you be fine?" Jimin's voice tickles his ear, laced with worry but also, gratitude.

Jungkook nods, not trusting himself to speak properly. As they ascend, the land falls away behind them, the terraces becoming a quilted tapestry of green and gold. Three little dots against the vast backdrop of vineries and olive trees, they are now no different than the tourists on the Ladarina. Jungkook's legs burn but he doesn't make a single sound, already shy from the sensation of their bodies being glued onto each other as he powers through, successfully carrying them to the top.

Finally at the summit, a quieter, residential area welcomes them. It seems to be the edge of the village not frequented by the majority of tourists. Narrow lanes bordered by stone walls and vibrant flowers lead them deeper into Corniglia. The sound of locals chatting, the clinking of dishes from a nearby kitchen, and the gentle breeze carrying the faint notes of church bells create an immediate sense of place.

It's a beautiful, serene neighborhood, and that much of a contrast with the reason why they're here. All Jungkook can think of is how every corner of this place could be hiding Hoseok. Yoongi appears to be on the same page, judging by the way his eyes dart restlessly from window to window, door to door.

"It's nearly lunch time," he says, checking his watch.

"Jimin hyung, do you know which cafe they're meeting at?" Jungkook asks as they navigate a curved street looping around the houses and leading them onto another, descending as it twists.

Jimin shakes his head in frustration. "I should've asked," he sighs with a hint of regret. Jungkook taps his shoulder as a small offer of comfort, slowing down when he notices Jimin's gaze not leaving him. Jimin's lips are curled into an easy smile that only comes with a level of trust, one that makes Jungkook shy, but also helps him forgive himself, even if a little bit.

In an attempt to escape the tension, he speeds up to catch Yoongi who seems to be struggling with deciding what to do, where to go.

"Hyung," Jungkook cuts in front of him, lightly jogging backwards. "We can't just walk around hoping to bump into Hoseok. We need a plan."

Yoongi nods, pulling out his phone to check for any potential leads or messages that might have come through despite the lack of line or internet. "We should split up," he suggests, tapping through his contacts until he's had enough. "Cover more ground that way."

Jungkook sees that Jimin does not like that idea as he emerges through Yoongi's figure, trying to catch up to them. "Does that sound good, Jimin-ssi?" he asks on purpose, angling his head and waiting until Jimin comes into clear focus.

"What if..." Jimin approaches, a bit breathless. They pause for him. "What if he's on the move and we just circle around each other?"he says, hands on his hips, head thrown slightly back as he gulps down air, then half-jokes. "Ah, this weather is going to kill me."

Jungkook exhales a soft smile, Yoongi returning to be his focus. "We could actually—" the producer purses his lips half-sentence, looking distraughtly at Jimin. "You know what, nevermind. We can just stick together under the piazza and we'll figure out what to do once we get there."

With that final say, they are back to moving.

Despite sharing the same geography, Jungkook is both fascinated and intimidated by the contrast between the two villages of Vernezza and Corniglia, not even half an hour apart by car. If Jimin had vanished here yesterday, there's no way Jungkook would have found him in Corniglia's maze-like alleys. Here, you don't hear the sea waves — just the sound of their footsteps crushing through silence, the distant chatter of locals, and an occasional cat yawning in the corner of a mural.

As they pass a big church, one that Jimin says he remembers from the map, Yoongi signals for them to stop. This religious landmark, with its Gothic-Ligurian architecture, feels like the heart of the village. Its stones glow in the sunlight, gathering locals and visitors alike. It's such a shame they can't properly visit it.

"Isn't that the lady from our group? Jimin exclaims, pointing at a middle-aged Korean-looking woman at the entrance of the church, and for a moment, their collective breath catches.

Could Sang Du be among them?

It's unlikely, but worth a look. With a nod between them, they head inside. A crowd of people surround them on all sides, whispers echoing through the walls of the magenta church. The hotness of the outside has been carried to the inside with an uncomfortable humidity circulating on the air. As if he's not having a hard enough time adjusting to the dim lighting and the lack of oxygen, Jungkook loses Jimin while battling to dodge his head for an Asian grandma's perfect church photo.

Fear grips him, but thanks to his height, he spots Jimin marshaling himself through the crowd to arrive at the church's corner where a few individuals are lighting candles.

What is he—

"Dio mio!"

A collective gasp echoes in the church, followed by the same grandma appearing on the floor by Jungkook's foot. Jungkook jumps in shock, urgently helping her up. He is pretty sure it's not his fault but — ugh, where is Jimin now? He apologizes in English because that's all he can think of, at which time Namjoon incredibly emerges from the crowd.

For a second time Jungkook freezes, not expecting Namjoon to just be there. The tour guide hasn't even noticed him, fully concerned with the grandma whom he does his best to soothe in Korean. And she was Korean? From our group?

The action never ends. A hand snatches Jungkook's elbow, dragging him to the outside of the church. Jungkook doesn't know what hit him until his eyes adjust to the sun, Jimin and Yoongi's faces slowly coming into clarity.

"Listen, Sang Du and his men haven't joined the group at all today," Jimin is whispering aggressively, still clutching Jungkook's arm tightly. "I just spoke to Namjoon," he adds to soothe the confused expression on Jungkook's face. "I told him to look for them — they could have gotten lost in the forest for all we know!"

"W-wait," a skeptic laugh bubbles out of Jungkook, still in a reverie. "You are concerned about those guys being lost more than them being with Hoseok?"

Yoongi smacks his head with a brochure, not letting him react. What is with all the aggression today! "Focus," he turns to Jimin who is equally off-put by Jungkook's remark. "It doesn't mean Hoseok isn't here."

Jimin nods in agreement. He takes a look around, collecting his thoughts. He breathes slow, reality bending under the intensity of his focus. It explains why his grip on Jungkook's arm hasn't seized.

"We'll find him," Jungkook pushes his returning insecurities from earlier aside. Those could probably be explained by him having a heatstroke. As if Jimin would ever believe that. But his intrusive thoughts are probably the last thing anyone is worrying about right now. "This is a small village, right? There are what, 150 people living here?" he perks with an encouraging smile that seems to move both hyungs. "I think we should worry about what we should do when we find him, not if we do."

Yoongi nods, as if thinking true, true.

"When that happens, you stay behind," he says intensely, as if issuing a first warning. It begins to dawn on Jungkook how serious the situation is, but only fully when Yoongi reluctantly reveals, "I saw... I saw those men—carrying guns."

It's like a punch to the stomach. Jungkook feels his heart leap to his throat, a rush of heat flooding his body. He thinks his knees will give out.

"W-what? Who—what men? S-Sang Du?" Jimin stammers, his voice betraying his flabbergast. Jungkook intuitively moves closer to him.

Yoongi runs his hand through his hair, distressed as heck. He nods, then, the bearer of bad news.

"I knew it!! I knew they were fucking mafias—" Jungkook exclaims incredulously, as hushed as he aggressively can in his state. Feeling his tongue fumble nothing in particular, he takes a moment to process the culmination of his suspicions to pure truth. He locks eyes with Jimin, a fire burning in his gaze. "I— didn't I? Hyung I literally smelled the bad blood in the air. I told you."

Jimin, still stunned by the revelation, is unmoving.

"You could be—they could have—" Jungkook's eyes water just by picturing how close Sang Du had gotten to Jimin in the morning. "Hurt you," he whispers to Jimin from a finger's distance, grabbing him like he'll be gone.

Yoongi steps in, using his palm to shade his eyes but failing to conceal the emotion in them. "Noone's hurt, Jungkook," he tries to be the voice of reason. "Jimin's not their target."

"Hoseok is," Jimin finishes that thought.

Yoongi visibly succumbs to stress, his hands clenched into tight fists before opening to scratch at his arms in a desperate attempt to find relief. He doesn't look good. Just as Jungkook is about to ask if he needs anything, Yoongi swiftly pulls them closer.

"They don't get to have him," he declares, tone laced with a dangerous edge Jungkook has never witnessed before. "He is mine to reclaim," He punctuates each sentence with a tap of finger on his palm. "So we find those guys. We save him first. And I'll take care of him myself."

Jungkook's mind spirals with a million questions, but he can't shake one that surfaces, his least favorite among all, the one he's always pushed to the back of his mind since the very start: what does Yoongi plan to do to Hoseok?

"Keep your eyes wide open," Yoongi squeezes their arms before initiating a run. It's so sudden that it leaves Jimin and Jungkook stunned on what the hell is going on. But Jimin acts faster than Jungkook, the last glimpse Jungkook catching of him the fear in his eyes before he sprints into the crowd.

Shit!

Jungkook dashes after him.

The crowd gets denser as they descend through a path reminiscent of a main street. It raises Jungkook's confidence that they are getting closer to the piazza, but this also means the human landscape is getting harder to navigate. Jungkook has played countless video games where he chased evil creatures, but never in his life he thought he'd embody that character in real life. Reassurances. Okay. He is an agile person with a keen sense of direction. He can pull this off.

Ahead of him, Jimin, with a quick sidestep, avoids colliding with a group of tourists absorbed in their guidebook. Jungkook winces, keeping up with him through the sidewalk. Meanwhile, Yoongi signals with a hand gesture to veer left. Jungkook follows, his focus split between keeping up with his hyungs and scanning the faces around him for any sign of Sang Du or Hoseok.

Finally, the narrow street widens, signaling their arrival at the edge of the main piazza. Jungkook sees Yoongi slow down in a shaded corner of the street, Jimin closely joining him, then turning around to search for Jungkook. They meet eyes as Jungkook lightly collides with Jimin's back, the older steadying him.

"You were a runner?" Jungkook blurts out. The panicked expression on Jimin face morphs into a brief laugh.

"Ran track in high school," Jimin breathes out with a charming side-eye, tapping Jungkook's stomach playfully before pulling him to where Yoongi is scrutinizing the piazza.

The open space before them is a hub of activity, the heart of Corniglia where the village's energy concentrates. The piazza bursts into life at this hour of the day, framed by vivid buildings, café tables, wandering locals and tourists, fluttering pigeons scavenging for crumbs, and of course, street performers adding spirit to the scene.

Yoongi pulls out a hat from his bag, placing it firmly on his head and adjusting it to cover his eyes. Jungkook's gaze absentmindedly falls on the bag as Yoongi zips it closed— and he... sees something that sends a chill down his spine.

Jungkook's observation does not escape Yoongi's notice, and suddenly their eyes meet. Jungkook freezes in place, feeling as though he's swallowed his tongue, held captive by the intensity of Yoongi's gaze.

Holy shit, that is what he thinks it is. Yoongi is carrying a gun.

He doesn't know how to react, or what to make of it, he genuinely doesn't.

When he saw Yoongi covered in shatters of glass on the floor of his apartment in Seoul, he didn't think this far ahead of his anger, of what that sense of betrayal must have felt like, and the extent it could take Yoongi. He always believed that if he could traverse miles just to cope with his emotions, Yoongi could do the same. Push himself beyond limits. But now, as he stands face to face with Yoongi's version of the truth, he feels a deep, gut-wrenching dread settle in the pit of his stomach.

Yoongi doesn't let it be, as Jungkook prays and hopes. He grabs Jungkook by the neck, preventing him from flinching away as he presses his forehead against Jungkook's temple. Jungkook could collapse any second now.

"Hey,"  Yoongi's finger caresses behind Jungkook's ear in a soothing gesture. "This is just for protection, Jungkook-ah. I don't want you to worry about hyung. Alright?" he says calmly. Jungkook wonders how many times Yoongi already imagined this scenario in his head to be so put together in this moment. 

Jungkook wants to respond, to bombard Yoongi with questions about all the who, what, when, where, and why's, but... does he truly want to know? What purpose would knowing serve, aside from revealing darker truths and inviting further worries?

Yoongi lets him go gently, allowing Jungkook to regain his composure. Jungkook barely has the courage to look into his eyes, but he dares to meet Yoongi's gaze. Their surroundings come to life, the colors of Corniglia reflecting on the faint smile on Yoongi's face. The producer's lips then form a clear pout as he nods once, indicating something behind Jungkook.

Scared but obediently following his guide, Jungkook turns his head around.

It's Jimin.

Why did Yoongi point at Jimin?

Before he even registers anything else about the moment, Jungkook's hand wraps around Jimin's waist in lightning speed out of fear that he is somehow in danger. He pulls Jimin so close that Jimin squeaks in surprise, finding himself eye to eye with Jungkook.

Their hearts pound against each other's chests. Jungkook doesn't even bat an eyelash, staring into the depths of Jimin's dilated pupils.

He feels Yoongi ruffle the back of his hair.

He gets it now.

You take care of him.

[A/N: I'm trying not to squeal. Kikikiki.]

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

7.8K 240 20
It all started with a simple meeting. A simple meeting that could not be avoided. An inevitable meeting... Where Jimin met Jungkook for the first tim...
354 16 10
"Have you ever thought about kissing me?" "everyday..." (Mature Content Warning - Smut + Swearing) Jungkook and Jimin have been best friends for as l...
75.6K 2.8K 17
Jimin is slowly changing, from his cheerful, gentle and social self, to a depressed, closed up and cold person; and Jungkook isn't having it. ⚠️WARNI...