Losing friends AND sleep (Gri...

By Hollie_is_cool

Cover picture found on Pinterest like a year ago What happened if Grian and Mumbo had a huge argument, unknow... More

Pre-story a/n + tags
1 - July
2 - What Was I Made For?
3 - I know the End
5 - Not Allowed
6 - Alley Rose
7 - The Greatest

4 - Everybody Dies

322 11 68
By Hollie_is_cool

Everybody dies by Billie Eilish:

So sorry for not updating in MONTHS, I tend to drop off the face of the earth with uploads when my mental health or physical health starts failing me again, but hey! Here I am, still alive ig.

That being said, I did recently upload a lil Mounders animatic thingy on my youtube (Holli3) that would appreciate some love, thats where I post like doodles turned into animatics or whatever y'know. So if you want more from me then here that is!!

I cant promise immediate and extremely frequent updates, because I'm really busy with school and stuff, but I'm trying!

-

["Everybody dies", that's what they say]

In retrospect, falling asleep in an alleyway was never a good idea. And now, Grian especially knew why it was such a stupid thing to do. When he woke up, it had long-became daytime, and the birds squawked merrily in the trees around him.

Opening his eyes, he was met by the still walls of the alleyway, and when he peered around the corner, he saw the lively streets of the shopping district. A lump grew in his throat, making him cough uncontrollably. His eyes stung and head boomed, and great, he was sick. How ironic.

Cold. Rain captured the sky, imprisoning it in a dark cage of despair and solitude. Surrounded by such bustle, yet his feelings clouded his mind - ironically, Grian had never felt so alone. His mind spiralled from normality like a film reel running too fast for a video to be caught up.

Grian sneezed.

This was great, just peachy, delightful, amazing, chobblesome. 10/10 would recommend, 5 stars on tripadviser.

He needed help. That was very much clear.

Was he actually going to get help? Pfft, nope! He's good.

Looking around, the shopping district was very, very bright. Like there was honestly no need for the myriad of colours that established the area to bombard his brain as ferociously as they did. It was wild. The wind whistled, as though chanting a relentless torment.

[And maybe in a couple hundred years
They'll find another way]

He got up, ignoring how his vision violently swimmed in and out of focus like a pendant rocking forwards, backwards, then back forwards again. He wasn't too far from his base, so getting there should be simple and easy, right?

Wrong! Immediately after stepping out from the busyness of the alleyway, he met a wild Etho, who was out spending all of his life savings in random shops (though mainly Bdubs', let's all be real for a moment here).

"Oh, hey Grian! What were you doing in that alleyway?" Etho greeted.

Grian grinned sheepishly, "You don't wanna know," he joked quietly, before his body hacked a violent, painful cough.

Etho laughed, "Are you good?" He asked, as though slightly concerned.

"Peachy, but I gotta go, see you around Etho!"
With that, Grian bounced off of the balls of his feet and set off to go home at a frisk and unbreakable pace, where he would probably stay for at least the next week.

His eyes watered and head ached as he took each miserable step forwards on his journey home. It wasn't exactly a long walk, but it was most definitely a painful one when considering Grian's state as he didn't wish to risk a dangerous flight with his elytra. On and on, on and on. One step; two steps; three steps... it never ended. What was probably a 5-minute-journey felt like that of an hour to the red-sweatered hermit.

Shoving, Grian carelessly opened the door to his base and hobbled inside. His mind reeled relentlessly, scattering thoughts like ashes in his head. The world spun around him, bending and mutating thoughts as if puppets. He couldn't breathe. Why couldn't he breathe?

[I just wonder why you'd wanna stay]

He felt like a sailor as he treacherously climbed up the roughs of his stairs (it probably wasn't actually that bad) and practically leapt into his bed, unsure on whether he'd even closed the front door but not willing to risk the tide of the stairs to find out. He just needed sleep and warmth, then he could wallow about his thoughts another time. He just wanted to rest.

He was immediately out like a lightbulb being switched off.

The time? 11:34am.

He slept through all of the remainder of the day and the entirety of the night too.

[If everybody goes
You'd still be alone]

-

Mumbo was living, or atleast he thought he was.

But was the living worth it? Or was it just acting as a placeholder for both the true loneliness of existence, and death?

Or maybe he'd been working on this darn redstone project for too long.

...It was probably the latter.

He was fine. Probably. He had other friends! Like Scar, or Iskall, or Bdubs! He had other friends, he wasn't tied to just one person, he could be around whoever he wanted to be!

So, as he poured the rest of the redstone into a thin trail to connect the features that needed attaching, he realised that he was probably thinking too much, and that it was most definitely time for sleep. Especially since he'd had such a busy day. Shopping, redstoning, building a small shack or something, redstoning some more, shopping again, then doing even more redstoning.

And now, it was well into the night, which meant it was sleeping time!

Immediately, he kicked up off the ground in an almost majestic leap, and flung himself into the air, catching in the wind with an up thrust of rockets. He flew in the cold air of the night, relishing in the calmness yet strength of the atmosphere as it tossed him around in spirals but catching him immediately after.

[Don't wanna cry, some days I do
But not about you]

He'd fly, then he'd fall, then he'd fly again up and around in circles with incredible momentum. It was refreshing, the freedom that came with life, even when alone in the peace of a starry night sky. Clouds that hung from the sky in the day had gone home for the night and bid farewell to the sunlights' reign.

Either way, he was flying in patterns that ran through the air in spirals and running curls, but his flight soon had to come to an end, since he was almost home. And wow, he was pooped - absolutely completely and utterly exhausted.

And the time? 03:47am. He was not waking up until it was atleast 2pm.

And just like that, he too was out like a lightbulb the second he got home into his nice, warm bed.

[It's just a lot to think about the world I'm used to]

-

It was the next day, and

[Xisuma]: Hey all, server meeting at 12pm tomorrow? Team-building, lunch included, my base!

Immediately, X got responses, which was certainly something since it was 11pm. These hermits needed sleep asap.

[JoeHills]: Okay!
[Etho]: Sounds good!
[Mumbo]: Will be there!

More replies came flooding through, all confirmations, but some Hermits would only continue on to reply the next morning, because some were asleep and fullfiling functional and normal sleep schedules!

-

When Grian woke up again, it was about 9am, and he immediately threw up, though luckily into his bedroom bin. And sure, he felt a bit better, but there wasn't much to actually throw up, so he was more dry heaving in immense levels of pain.

So, he wrapped a blanket around him with such force that made his knuckles glow a pearly shade of white and his whole arm clenched in an underlying tension.

Blinking but still unmoving, he glanced over at his communicator on the bedside table, eyes blurred and over sharpened when he looked around. Half of his mind showed how he had unread messages, but the other told him that it wouldn't be that important. Nonetheless, he reached over a shaking hand to grasp at the communicator, only to find that his vision was doubled and drifting in and out, back and forth, then he grabbed again, and finally felt the smooth, cold metal collide against his skin.

He squinted to read what the messages were, something from X about a server meeting in like... two hours? 11, and it was currently 9 - yeah, that would probably work. He could probably do that.

[GeminiTay]: Yep! See you then!
[ImpulseSV]: Yeah sure!

And now, it seemed that it was basically only Grian who was yet to reply:

[Grian]: Sounds nice!

Sighing, he realised that he should probably get up, fix himself, and get ready for his day.

Standing up was a bit of an issue, and he couldn't psyche himself up, so had to manually force himself out.

He missed being friends with Mumbo, he missed feeling like enough, feeling worthy for his life.

Eventually he got up and just stood, swaying for a moment holding his bin, before mindlessly walking out of his bedroom into the bathroom. He placed the bin in the bath, quickly rinsing it out, planning to do that properly later. Then, he studied himself for a fractal of a second, and washed his mouth out with water and mouthwash.

[The one I can't get back
At least not for a while]

He couldn't be bothered to exist.

It was nearing 10am, and Grian barely had it in him to go and get changed out of yesterday's clothes, but he went and did it anyway, since in the end he supposed that he had to. Red sweater, grey-black jeans.

He brushed his teeth, skipped breakfast, half-heartedly combed through the knots of his golden-brown hair, then shoved his communicator onto his arm, put his shoes on, and left his base, onwards and coughing to Xisuma's base for 'team building'.

[Everybody dies
And when will I?]

-

What are your guys' predictions? I'm curious :)))

1544 words
9th January 2024

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

217K 7.9K 50
||Story Name Was Previously "Watched"|| Grian was never trusted. Not by the Watchers. They hated him for his thoughts. Though he tried to prove them...
14.5K 886 30
Grian needs to hunt down a monster in the forest, a creature of unexplainable powers that he has been instructed to capture. But instead of a ferocio...
20.1K 792 16
grian felt himself begin to fall into the abyss, his hand wrapping around his chest as his wings flew up; he was falling... ♡ hermitcraft is a place...
72.4K 2.8K 72
Grian has found refuge and safety in Hermitcraft. However, his past is quickly catching up to him, and with it comes the pain that he's been trying s...