Passing Notes

By UndertaleWeirdo8

Welcome to another Undertale Au Highschool fic! I wanted to try to do an Enemies to Lovers, so Dawns backstor... More

Chapter 1: Goodmorning Sleepyhead!
Chapter 2: A new face!
Chapter 3: Paper slips
Chapter 4: Ghostly things
Chapter 5: Secrets
Chapter 7: Librarians Unite
Chapter 8: TimeBomb
Chapter 9: unexpected encounter
Chapter 10; Sleep
Chapter 11: a long walk
Chapter 12: Harassed
Chapter 13: Join the game
Chapter 14: Hot topic?? 🤔 (not the store you emo)
Chapter 15: Please just admit to the gayness
Chapter 16: It was gonna be slower but I couldn't help it
Chapter 17: Nightmare is a party dude ya
Chapter 18: we love getting possessed by trauma
Chapter 19: Sussus amoungus
Chapter 20: Eavesdropping is for the greater good
Chapter 21: ngl that's kinda straight
Chapter 22: The author abuses plot convenience
Chapter 23: what does fried squid taste like?
Chapter 24: shalalalla *feeds shippers*
Chapter 25: Mother craves info
Chapter 26: Why are you hot now?
Chapter 27: A hot chick cries on my shoulder
Chapter 28: Melancholic lovers go brrrr
Chapter 29: Just kiss already
Chapter 30: The fourth wall is gone
Chapter 31: Buckle in tight everybody!
Chapter 32: FETCH THE TISSUES
Chapter 33: Family bonding time

Chapter 6: Magic time

20 2 42
By UndertaleWeirdo8

A/N finally I get to leave a bad cliffhanger 

Nightmare couldn't help himself. He had laughed. The gang turned to him, all amused.

Fell and Error, who sat with them, also seemed to find this scenario amusing.

Fell leaned against the wall. "What was that about huh? Were you watching the new chick?"

Nightmare didn't like the tone Fell was taking. He couldn't believe the audacity of this guy; he was sitting in Nightmare's area. He should really watch it.

"Nah, it just that squeal. Sounds almost exactly like Dream. Makes you think about how pitiful those two are."

Cross shifted in his seat. Nightmare was his friend, and he wouldn't go against him. Still, he couldn't help but shoot his eyes over to where Dream was. He didn't deserve that kind of shade. Dream was strong in a different way from them.

Dust nudged him, smirking from beneath his hood. Cross internally groaned. He knew this conversation was about to go a way he did not want it to.

"So Oreo boy. Making Googly eyes over towards Mr.Banana peel again?"

Cross groaned, all attention had shifted to him. He could almost feel Nightmare's glare piercing through him.

"Whatever Dust. I was just interested in the fact that Nightmare's twin brother is now getting along with his new sworn enemy."

Nightmare scoffed.

"She is not my sworn enemy. She's not nearly strong or important enough for that."

Horror hummed.

"We don't know how strong she is actually. Plus, her background is a mystery. In reality, we can't say either of those things for sure."

Killer noticed Nightmare getting tense over this. He was usually all for watching a good fight, but he had a feeling this wasn't a good time or place.

"Yeah- I mean for all we know she could be some mysterious fairy princess!!! Lost to the wind after her suitor abandoned her!"

He flailed dramatically, leaning onto Error. Error promptly shoved him off. Luckily, this was enough to lighten the mood.

Their Magic teacher clapped his hands. Everyone looked over; there was a lot of excitement over finding out about whatever magic Dawn could have.

"Alright students! I'm sure you all had a great first day back. Today, we'll be seeing each of you destroy as many targets as possible. The top two winners, as per usual, will be representing our class at the upcoming festival."

Nightmare grinned. It was always him and Error. Despite the fact Error thought the festival was a drag, there was no getting out of it. Everyone else was pining for that role. They had been practicing magic all summer for this chance.

The teacher called people up by name; slowly working through the class. Some were more impressive than others, the Stars getting around 30/50 and everyone else getting around 15. This wouldn't be impressive, except that the targets were enchanted. They dodged and attacked, just as real opponents did. The test only lasted 30 seconds, so the average monster or human at most scored five. In fact, those classes only had ten targets. The gang stepped up; most averaging at about 40.

Error was called up, and reluctantly agreed to start. In no time, he had captured and destroyed all 50 targets. Nobody was surprised. Dawn made a mental note that this guy was a threat.

Next, the teacher called Nightmare. He confidently walked up to the platform and began. His face twisted into a terrifying grin, as he obliterated all 50 in seconds; each impaled clean through with his tentacles.

The teacher sighed and checked him off.

"Alright, finally we have Dawn."

The annoying group of happy little muskrats had the nerve to cheer for her. He internally groaned. He'd even thought that they would be good friends with her, but he was wishing this didn't make her even more of a thorn in his side.

Dawn nervously stepped up in front of the targets. She fidgeted with a golden ring on her pointer finger, holding ten sparkling stones. She ran her finger over them, stopping on the green one. Muttering something under her breath, she bowed her head before looking up. She nodded to the instructor, before taking a deep breath. Reaching out her hand, she stood there.

Nightmare grinned. Looks like she couldn't do anything after all.

Then it happened. Vines sprouted out of the floor, blossoming and wrapping around each target, squeezing tightly. In just 5 seconds more than Nightmare, she had caught all 50.

There was a silence. Nobody but Error or Nightmare had ever done anything like that. Dawn nervously began fidgeting with her fingers. The teacher nodded.

"With that, you take second place."

The other side of the room erupted in cheers. Nightmare turned to Error sharply.

"Why did you take so long you imbecile? If you had only acted a little quicker, I wouldn't be stuck with her in the festival!"

Error shrugged.

"I'm just bored of doing the same thing over and over. Besides, I'd rather her be in it than me. I hate that stupid festival. I get it unites the cities and towns or whatever but it's just annoying."

Nightmare clenched his fist. He knew that this was probably for the best, since Error would ruin his chances of winning the festival by just failing to show up. That didn't stop him from wishing it was literally anyone else. The end of the day bell rang, and the teacher cleared out, alongside everyone except for Nightmare's core gang.

Dawn stood in the arena, clearly waiting for Nightmare. Guess she had the guts to stay for a duel. Nightmare scowled and approached the ring.

"Let's make this fast, I have plans today."

Dawn nodded. She knew Nightmare probably didn't actually have plans, but it didn't bother her. Tough talk was tough talk.

"I have a visitor coming in about 15, and I need 10 to walk home. So this should be quick."

Nightmare bristled at her words. Was she implying that he wasn't worth it?

Before they could fight, Dream walked in looking for his brother.

"Nightmare! You better not be dueling! You know that's against the rules, and besides you know that it's wrong!"

He walked in and dragged Nightmare off before he could begin. Complaining the whole way, Nightmare was dragged out of the building. His gang followed shortly after, only waiting to get one last glance at Dawn.

She stood there for a minute after they left, collapsing in relief once she was alone.

She didn't know what would have been the best course of action there. She was pretty sure it would be an even match, but that was only using the other's powers. She wasn't ready for people to figure out her secret, so she was spared the loss.

She fiddled with her ring again, tracing the green stone. She silently thanked Fern for having an inconspicuous yet powerful ability.

She paused. It had been so long, but she doubted she would ever get over it. That incident had given her so much more power, but she would trade the world to give them back to everyone. She only realized what she was doing when she felt a drop of water hit her hand.

She shook her head. It wasn't worth staying in the past. These powers were reminders that her friends had wanted to protect her, even to the end.

Glancing at the clock, she wiped her face and grabbed her bag. She had wasted too much time spacing out and thinking about the past. If she were to beat her guests to her home, she was going to have to run for it. She took a deep breath in. This shouldn't be too hard; she had really good stamina and was sure she could keep it up. Besides... she had other ways of getting home. It was never fun, and she didn't like having her insides feel all scrambled, but it was the best option. Walking outside, she headed to the back of the building. Eyeing the shadow, she closed her eyes and jumped. Instead of hitting the ground, she felt herself plummet into it.

Focusing, she envisioned her living room. The rushing stopped, and she opened her eyes standing next to the couch. Geez, Shadow was so going to be able to tell she'd run late and borrowed her powers. She just hoped she'd get teased instead of lectured.

She heard the door creak and turned around, grinning like a madwoman.

"Long time no see guys!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

85 15 19
Sans Aus in a school what could go wrong? Lots of things, do people die? I don't know, but ships are included. You could say it is a slow burn kinda...
348K 13.1K 40
PLEASE READ BEFORE GETTING INTO THE STORY Description: Your name is (Y/n) and you are originally from an au called Dreamtale! Your life hadn't been...
18.4K 477 20
This is a fanfiction! Please understand this is for fun! (Warning character death) I unpublished all the beginning and I do not plan on bringing it...
100K 3.1K 24
Completed: August 8th, 2020 Killer is nightmares right hand man. Doing everything nightmare pleases. (That sounded wrong. Not in that way- Anyways-)...