Her Last Breath

By DyingIns1de

I never should've called her that night. It should've been me. _____ A record of Autumn's last chapters. She... More

Author's note
E X C E R P T
C H A P T E R 1: always.

C H A P T E R 2: sticks.

44 1 0
By DyingIns1de

"Mason, can you call your brothers and sister in please. Tell them Mommy finished cooking dinner and if we finish early we can all watch a movie and drink our favorite hot chocolates." Momma says, plating and placing the last plate of food on the counter. 

I look out the sliding glass door we have, the one that lead straight to the backyard, where everyone else is playing. 

"Really?!" Mason, one of my older brothers, asks excitedly.

"Yes, now hurry up before the food gets cold. Auty, Daddy and I will set up the dinner table. Isn't that right, dear." Momma says, catching Daddy's attention.

Daddy was too busy painting my nails, as I giggle at his shocked expression, like a deer caught in headlights. I was sitting on the counter with both my hands out as he sat on the tall chair, white nail polish brush in hand. 

He quickly puts on a warm smile before replying.

"Of course dear, just let me finish cleaning our little Auty's nails. Isn't that right Auty." My giggles turn into laughs as he closes the nail polish before tickling me.

"Y-yes papa..wait! Stop- that tickles! You're gonna ruin my nail polish!"

He smiles before picking me up and placing me on the ground to go hug mama from behind. 

"Thanks for making dinner, Honey." He says, before kissing her cheek and picking up the last plate of food to put on the dinner table in the next room.

I watch mama as she looks at papa with warm, dreamy, eyes before those warm eyes land on me. 

"Let's go go help daddy set the table, sweetie." She says putting her hand out for me to grab, a warm, caring smile on her lips. I go towards her and take her hand.

I look behind us, to that glass door. Seeing my siblings play, run around.

Seeing them happy.

I smile, before looking at how soft the snow looks. How slow they drop to the ground, how snowflakes start to attach to the glass door.

Feeling happy and content.

                                                       ...

I watch the snow fall as I walk back from the hospital, on the way to my one bedroom apartment downtown. It's a twenty minute walk from the hospital. I need to go change before my night shift at the diner.

2:00 pm

I can't help but think about how soft the snow looks, how slow they drop to the ground. 

How similar it looks, and feels to that comfy christmas day I'd spent with my family all those years ago.

I wonder if they still spend christmas like that, just- without me.

I miss the way mama and papa would look at me. Like I was special to them, like I was someone they cared about.

It's not like it matters, right now, anyway. They hate me, now.

I think about how I'll be spending christmas this year. Probably working at the diner as always or updating my food blog.

It's the only thing I have that gives me comfort. My safe place..cooking...

Once I finally arrived at the front door of my apartment, I search through my bag for my keys before noticing that someone's moving into the apartment next door.

I'd never actually met any of my neighbors, so this explains why I've never seen them, I guess. 

There're boxes everywhere, across the hallway of the apartment complex, and I hear rustling inside. A few mumbles here and there, too. I switch my focus back to my door when I finally find my keys. Of course, they were at the bottom of my bag.

I walk into my apartment, breathing out a sigh of relief to finally be "home". 

It's been my home for two years, now. Only being able to afford it thanks to Malcom. That thought makes me pause, reminding me of the news report I'd seen earlier this morning.

Malcom. 

A knock interupts my thoughts, as I place my bag on the small kitchen counter. I contemplate whether I want to answer the door or not.

I hear knocking again; before I hear the cool, bold, voice of a woman start to talk behind the door.

"Hello? Sorry to bother you, I heard you going into your apartment lol. Wait- sorry if that sounds creepy! I just moved in next door, and wanted to take my mind off of unpacking, so I thought maybe you'd wanna chat and get to know eacho ther! You know, since we'll be living next to each other to what I'm assuming is a while. Sorry, I'm rambling! I still wanna meet you, though. I swear I'm a nice person. I won't kill you or anything like that..unless." 

A ghost of a smile plays on my lips as I listen to the muffled voice of the boisterous woman. I dust the grey sweater I'd been wearing off, as I head to the door. 

I open the door to see a beautiful, warm skinned wasian woman about three or so inches shorter than me, standing in front of my door holding a container of what looks to be some sort of sheperds pie.

"Hi! I'm glad that I wasn't wrong in assuming you were a woman, that would've been so awkward, for me lol. Anyway, enough rambling, my name's Ivy Wong! I just moved here from BrunLynk, I'm going to the Uni a few minutes from here. GrehyField state. I'm twenty, and I love chocolate cake! Do you wanna come over? Oh, actually maybe that's not a good idea since I haven't finished unpacking! Do you wanna go to a cafe or something, it'll be on me, but I don't know any cafes around here." She says enthusiastically. 

"Uhm- hello to you too, Ivy. My names Autumn." I say putting my arm out for her to shake a small smile on my lips. 

"Autumn? That is such a pretty name-"

"Would you like to come in?" I ask, interrupting her, before she starts another splew. 

"Really? Are you sure, I'd love to, I brought you some Sheperd's pie! I mean, I haven't tried it yet, but it should taste good! I'm pretty sure I cooked it right...Sorry, I just started learning how to cook! I plan on cooking my boyfriend a meal, when he comes to visit." She says, enthusiastically, giggling by the end of her splew. 

"Thank you.." I say, before taking the container of sheperd's pie from her hands, "I've never had anyone over, so I'm sorry if my apartment seems messy."

I don't even know why I invited her in. Maybe because no one ever wants to talk to a freak like you. Tsk. So excited over a stranger talking to you. Pathetic.

"
Oh, my goodness, Messy? If this is messy, please please please help me organize my apartment." She whines as I lead her to sit on the seat by the counter, picking up my bag to put on the couch.

I flush at the complement.

"R-really? I mean- sure, if you still need help by this weekend. Since that's when my day off is-" 

"Are you being for real, right now? I'd love that!" She says, interrupting. Not that I mind.

"Oh, and where do you wanna put this shepherd's pie?"

"You can leave it on the counter." I say softly, as I turn my back to her to get some plates and forks from the cabinet. 

"So, tell me about yourself Ivy. Oh, and do you have any plans for the rest of the day?" I say, placing the plates onto the counter, giving her one before turning to open up the container of Shepherd's pie.

"Not really, just gonna finish unpacking, I guess. I don't know, I don't really know anyone around here, since I never really left Brunlynk all that much. Since, my boyfriend gets here after few weeks, and class hasn't started; I haven't really gotten the chance to talk to anyone yet. So, I really appreciate you talking to me and letting me into your apartment hehe. What about you, Autumn?"

"You can call me Ty, but nothing much. I was gonna head to work- but that can wait, don't worry. My shift starts at 6:00, so I have some time before I need to head out.." I say softly, before looking at my wall clock across the room.

2:24 pm

"Oh, cool! Where do you work?" She asks, as I start placing scoops of shepherd's pie onto our plates. 

"Oh...uh, just the diner up in town. Ralph's Diner, I'm a cook there." I say with a small smile as I finish plating up our food.

"Oh! I saw that place on my way here, we can head there together! Since I was planning on going out for dinner, we can even hang out if you go on break." She says, before putting a fork full of shepherd's pie into her mouth. 

"Sure, I don't mind.." I say smiling at her. No one's ever wanted to hang out with me. 

'Cause no one fucking likes you. Pathetic. 

"-Oh my goodness, this is so disgusting!" She says, interrupting me from my thoughts once again. Spitting out her food with a look of disgust on her face.

"What's wrong? It can't be that bad.." I say, before taking a bite, instantly regretting my decision.

"It's so salty..dang it! I thought I could finally cook something good..it looked good when I was making it." She says with a frown on her face, looking really upset. 

"I can't serve this to my boyfriend- he'll leave me!" She exaggerates. 

I giggle before saying, "I don't think it's that bad, you just added too much salt... and I don't think your boyfriend will leave you.. If you're that worried about it, I can teach you how to cook- if you don't mind, that is!" I say, worried she'll think I'm overstepping my boundaries.

"Will you really? Oh my goodness, I just know we'll be best of friends. You're so nice to me, please don't get sick of me, because I'll be sticking to you like a leach!" I laugh, blushing at her statement.

"It's all good..have you had lunch yet, by the way I can make some Mac and Cheese if you'd like?" I ask, taking out the ingredients that I needed. 

"Yes please." She says shyly.

I think things might finally be coming around. I think with a smile.

Don't get attached, no one ever sticks.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.7M 1.1M 42
When Arianna marries billionaire Zach Price to save her family, she doesn't expect to fall in love with a man who'd always consider her a second choi...