BARDOWN

By ialsolikepasta

"I'm going to fall-" "Hey,no. Here."He pulled me on his body. His arms were wrapped around my waist as he was... More

BAR DOWN
01
02
03
04
05
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18

06

18 0 0
By ialsolikepasta

Three months,in New York and it still feels unreal.
It's gotten colder which means I got to spend more time at home and do things I like,when I'm not feeling lazy. Cooking for example. There is this kid I follow on instagram and his recipes are no joke. They're all great. I watch movies, read books and get a good amount of sleep. I need it after all. Don't get me wrong, I love kids, but they drain my energy. If they don't drain yours, you're lying and just want to show off.

"So,what are you doing on thanksgiving?"Kelly asked, putting her shoes on. It's finally time to go home and I have a lot to do.I have to go groceries shopping because tomorrow is thanksgiving and it's going to get crazy everywhere. I hope I make it home before it starts raining. "Watch a movie?" I say as I put my jacket on.

"Boring."she shakes her head. "Wanna come to my parents house?" She got up. "It will be just us. My brother is in Boston and won't be able to come back. We'll be happy to have you."she smiled.

I'm so thankful for having met Kelly. She helped me a lot since day one and was always there for me when I needed something. We hanged out many times and she's the only person I'm close with here in New York. I still haven't gotten to see my relatives that live here and since Lily is in Arizona, it means Kelly is the only person I have here. "I don't know Kell, I don't want to be a burden." We walked out of the building. Damn it's freezing.

"Look. Mom just texted me. She said come. She's not asking."she showed me the screen of her phone.
"Okay,what time?"

"Be there at two and no, don't cook. Don't bring anything. Mom will do everything."Kelly opened the door of her car.

"Can I at least bring a gift? What do your parents like?"I get on the passenger side. "Wine?"

"Wine should be fine."she started the car but then looked at me. "I'm taking you home,right?"

"Yeah,I guess I don't have to go grocery shopping today."

"It's a nightmare. It's busy now that people got off work."

"Thanks for telling me. I didn't know and was planning to go."I say,staring out the window. I can see a few snowflakes. Isn't it early for snow?

"Agh,come on. It's green..."Kelly tapped her fingers on her steering wheel.

"I don't think I'll ever be able to drive here."I say making her smile.

"What if I ever get drunk May? Someone will have to drive."

"Yeah, the Uber driver will..."

"It's not that bad."she says but honks again. "Come oonnn!"she raised her voice. "Not that bad,yeah..."I say serious, looking at her. She stopped the car and looked back at me for a few seconds and then we both started laughing.

"Man, I love New York and I love you. You're funny."Kelly said as she started the car again.

[...]

"So,what's his name?"Mrs.Brown asked while mixing the salad.

"Matt. He said he lives in New York but is from Michigan."I answer as I eat some cheese.

"So, he was in Italy for his cousins wedding and the night before the big day, he kissed with the bride."Kelly frowned. "Have you seen him since?"

I shook my head and got some more cheese before I start talking. "I left the day after the wedding and didn't see him after the incident so...I don't know if he noticed I left."I shrugged. "But he seemed to be a good guy. I felt bad after what I did because he was nice to me. He even came to my room with ice cream to celebrate my birthday that my best friend forgot about."

"Honey,"Mrs. Brown looks at me in a sad way. "It's fine. I just wish I had the chance to apologize. He's a stranger after all, he probably forgot about it."I smile.

"It's not like you did something wrong. If you are wrong, he is also wrong for making you go there."Kelly took a seat right next to me. "He didn't make me Kell. He invited me and I went there willingly."

"What are you ladies talking about."Kelly's father walked in the kitchen with a big smile on his face.

"Dad." Kelly turned to face him. "If you met a stranger at the beach one night and after talking for a while you found out it was her birthday that day, and you decided to celebrate with her but, on your way to the beach bar your ex comes and kisses you and the girl leaves and on the same night after the kiss you buy some ice cream and go find her in her room to give it to her as a gift, what does it mean?"

"The hell are you reading this time? What stupid book is this?"he gave her a weird look. The silence and the look he was giving her were priceless. It made me laugh. "I'm sorry"I shook my head but Mr. Brown joined too. "Please tell me you're not reading books like my daughter."

"I am...?" I press my lips together, forming a small smile.  "Just stop and go date real men,Jesus."he shook his head.

"Dad,what does this have to do with the books and the question. Three different things."

"I mean, he's got a point,"Mrs. Brown shrugged, "but yeah, it's three different things honey."

"So, this is not from a book?"the man frowned.

"Nope."Kelly shook her head, getting up. "Did you invite anyone mom?"she questioned, heading to the front door because the doorbell just rang.

"I didn't, did you?"Mrs. Brown asked her husband. "No, who would I invite?"he said with mouth full of food.

"No!"Kelly screamed. "Oh my god! Mom! Dad!"she raised her voice making them both stop what they're doing. Well, I'd do the same. That's scary.

"What happened Kel-oh my god!"Mrs. Brown cried.

Should I go or just stay here...?

"Hey bud,"I heard Mr. Brown saying before I start walking to where they all went. "You said you couldn't make it." I saw him hugging someone tight.

"Surprise?"A man pulled back from the hug. "I missed you guys."

"I can't believe you didn't even tell me."Kelly fake punched the guy on the chest.

"And I can't believe you didn't tell me you invited a friend of yours for thanksgiving."he smiled, walking towards me. "Hey, I'm Alex-"he stretched his arm out for a handshake. "And I am Kelly. Your friend and his sister so remember what I told you for when you guys finally meet."Kelly pushed his hand away.

"What did she say?"Alex frowned.
"That you're gay-"

"Oh come on."the man rolled his eyes. "She lied because in high school all friends of hers had a huge crush on me."

"They did not."Kelly walked to the kitchen with the two of us following right behind. "And what does this have to do with it?"

"You don't want your friend to like me too. Your name by the way?"he leaned his body on the fridge.

"Alex, that's May and she's our guest. So please be nice to your sister on your first day home, while her friend is here."Mr. Brown smirked.

"Food is ready so you can all go to the table, I'll bring these in right now."Mrs. Brown said excited.

"Do you need help Mrs. Brown?"

"May, just call us by our names please. Titles are too fancy."

"I can't call you Pam and Josh. That's weird."I say and she gives me the look. "But I can try?"I smile.

"Don't use your mom glare at her,it's not working anymore. Also, it's her first time here,I'm pretty sure you want her to visit again."Alex took the potatoes and salad in his hands,heading to the table.

"Will you come here again?"

"Sure...if you want me to."I pout,taking a seat on the table.

"See? She still likes me."Pam put food on my plate. "Tell me if you need more."

"Thank you."I smile and after Josh was done lighting the candles we started eating.

"So, for how long are you staying Al?"Kelly asked,making the man smile.

"For a while..."

"Why,what happened? Is everything okay?"Pam frowned.

"Yeah, everything's fine."Alex nodded his head quickly. "I got traded."was the only thing he said, making everyone stop eating.

"To where?"Josh placed his fork down quietly.

What does he mean traded?

"Far,"the man looked down. "They want me in New York."from serious he went smiley and everyone freaked out. Pam got up and went for a huge and tight hug, Josh got up too, patting Alex's back and Kelly was still looking at him in shock, with hands covering her mouth. "What the hell."she laughed,walking towards him. "Congratulations."she gave him a hug.

"Thank you Kel"he laughed. "I got my things in my car by the way, and the truck will bring the rest next week."Alex took his seat again.

"Are you staying with us?"Pams smile never left her face.

"Only for tonight. I already bought an apartment in the city to be closer to the arena you know. Traffic can be crazy and I don't really like driving here."

"Oh my god."Pam looked at Josh. "Can you believe it?"she laughed and her husband just shook his head.

"Alex," I say, making him look at me. He had a soft smile on his face and as soon as I called his name his stopped what he was doing to pay attention. "Congratulations. I don't know what you're all talking about but seeing you this excited, I'm pretty sure something amazing happened."

"Thank you May"his smile got bigger.

"Alex plays hockey. He played in Boston and now he got traded which means he will be playing here in New York."

"Wow,hockey? That explains the broccoli hair."I say, making them laugh.

"When is your first game son?"

"So, it was supposed to be tomorrow but, they rescheduled it and now it's the day after."

"Are you going to play?"Kelly asked.
"Yeah, I practiced with them already so, I'm ready to play."

"What do you mean you practiced? And when did you buy an apartment? When did you do all that?"Pam started refilling her plate. The shock must be real because her plate already has food on it.

"The whole thing took a month but I didn't tell you anything because you'd freak out and worry about the whole process."

"I wouldn't freak out."Pam acts cool making them all look at her. "Maybe a little. I'm your mother."

"But I don't like seeing you worried. I'm your son."he mocked making her smile.
"I'm so proud of you baby."she gave him a kiss on the head.

"Thank you ma. What about you guys? Any news?"

"You kids tell us. May,tell us about you. Kelly told us you're here for work"Pam smiled.

"Yeah, that's how Kelly and I met. I'm working at the school taking care of babies from two to three but, they also assigned me at kindergarten classes where some kids are Greek so I need to act as a language teacher now. I'm twenty four in case she didn't give details about me, and I'll be staying here for a year."

"Wow,Greek? When were we in Greece honey?"Josh asked Pam.

"You've been to Greece?"Alex asked his parents. "When?"

"We met there. Your dad's friend touched a girls butt and your dad got blamed for it."Pam smirked. "She threw her drink at him."

"Vodka got in my eye,I started screaming because it was burning my eyeball, your mom stepped up to defend me and then we had you."Josh forced an awkward smile.

"So, you did the thing back then? On the first day? It was not even a whole day..."

"Who cares, we fell in love and now look at us. Still in love."Pam bit her bottom lip.

"Cute."I comment and then look at Kelly. "What about you Kel? You said wanted to say something a few days ago."I smile, earning a kick under the table.

"You got a boyfriend?"Josh asked jokingly but when he didn't get an answer, he looked at her. "Did you?"he asked surprised, seeing her nod. "Now way."he got up excited. "I never expected you to like a real guy."he messed her hair.

"A boyfriend?"Alex cleared his throat. "What's his name?"he asked in a serious tone.

"How can I tell you when you give me that look?"

"It's not like I'm going to find the guy. Trust me, I'm as surprised as dad is."he chuckled.

"Come on guys, you act as if a miracle happened."Kelly rolled her eyes. "His name is Blake. He is cute. Tall..."

"Have you seen him May?"Pam asked.

"Nope."

"How old is he?"Alex drinks some of his wine.
"Your age?"

"Twenty eight"

"Oh, like me?"Alex frowned. "He's old."

"Old?"I look at him.

"For her."he shrugged his shoulders.

"Yeah, remember what you just said." Kelly smirked.

"What do you mean?"

"If he is old for me, then next time you'll like one of my friends, remember that you're old for them."

"It's not the same Kel"the guy smiled.

"Him being three years older than me is old? Remember when you liked a friend of mine, two years younger than me? That makes it five years for you, no?"

"Not the same"Alex got up, going to the kitchen and back. "We should meet him one day."

"He wants to go to the pub later. Wanna join?"Kelly asked.

"May, you going?"he then asked me.

"No, I'll go sleep early because tomorrow is the only day I can peacefully sleep a lot."I shook my head.

"I told you she's boring sometimes."

"Says who?"Josh frowned.

"The one who just got a boyfriend."Pam smirked, getting up. "Who is ready for dessert?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.1M 80K 47
"It's kind of ironic, you know? My life has always revolved around being on ice. It only makes sense that I met the girl I love after she slipped on...
251K 5.9K 35
A competitive figure skater is forced to trade places with a rival hockey player in order to avoid being kicked out of the rink. Blurb- "I see you ha...
75.1K 1.3K 19
#2 in the carolina colts series dimitri & nadia's story ~ his eyes focus on my lips briefly as he whispers "why do we always end our time together li...
675K 13.9K 48
The plan has always been simple. Finish college and open my own bakery while supporting my best friend in his journey to the NHL. After a not-so-goo...