Cosmo || Doctor Who

By blink_and_youre_dead

where a boy meets an alien and travels the universe Book 1 of the Spaceman Series. 334,926 Words Part One... More

Cosmo
Volume One
1 : Back Chat
2 : Jealousy
3 : Action This Day
4 : Save Me
5 : Leaving Home Ain't Easy
6 : Machines (Or Back To Humans)
7 : Keep Yourself Alive
8 : If You Can't Beat Them
9 : A Human Body
10 : Was It All Worth It
11 : Father To Son
12 : Don't Lose Your Head
13 : Dead On Time
14 : These Are The Days Of Our Lives
15 : The Night Comes Down
16 : Sleeping On The Sidewalk
17 : Dreamer's Ball
18 : The Miracle
19 : You Can't Fool Me
20 : Let Me Live
21 : Play The Game
22 : Fight From The Inside
23 : Too Much Love Will Kill You
24 : My Life Has Been Saved
Volume Two
25 : Transformations
26 : A Skeleton Of Something More
27 : Bright Sadness
28 : Ill Equipped
29 : Touch
30 : Body
31 : Wilderness
32 : In Her Honour
33 : The Writer
34 : Enabling Environment
35 : Clockwork
36 : Heart
37 : Parallels
38 : All This To Say
39 : Tension & Thrill
40 : Night Must End
41 : Son
42 : Almost Idyllic
43 : Today Has Been OK
44 : Image Of A Black Hole
45 : Awake
46 : The Great Conjunction
47 : Mission Complete
48 : Earth
49 : The Ink From Books
50 : Daughter
51 : Tethered
52 : Divine Creation
53 : Ghosts
54 : I'll Keep You Safe
55 : Uneven Odds
56 : Heaven Breaks
Volume Three
58 : At Least We Made It This Far
59 : Part Of It
60 : A Hurt Like That
61 : If You Want It
62 : Everything Will Be
63 : Let It All Out
64 : Pressing On
65 : There Was No Thief
66 : Empty House
67 : Can't Complain
68 : The Scene And Herd
69 : Forward Motion
70 : Detestation and Reform
71 : Softer To Me
72 : The Vinyl Countdown

57 : Kick Off

403 35 34
By blink_and_youre_dead

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔗𝔞𝔯𝔡𝔦𝔰 ℑ𝔫𝔱𝔢𝔯𝔦𝔬𝔯
𝔇𝔢𝔢𝔭 𝔖𝔭𝔞𝔠𝔢

There was something about the Doctor which made EJ forget everything. Perhaps it was partially to do with the fact that the Thompson boy had a growing infatuation and deep admiration for the man he travelled with. Equally, it could have been because everything he was experiencing was so overwhelming that the Doctor was the only constant through it all. However, EJ had come to the conclusion that forgetting wasn't the most practical turn.

     Although it didn't make sense yet, and he hoped that it would soon, EJ chose to believe that it was the completely overwhelming day he'd had which had forced him to miss something so huge as a woman dressed completely for her own wedding appearing in the Tardis. The first of many things which made it impossible was the fact that they were drifting in deep space. She shouldn't have known how to get there, nevertheless, she was inside of the ship. EJ was bamboozled by it all, and so, he listened, and he waited, and he observed as he didn't believe he could be of much use.

     "You can't do that." The Doctor said as he stared at the woman, half frozen, half animated. "I wasn't... we're in flight. That is physically impossible, how did...?"

  "Tell me where I am." The redheaded woman demanded, her voice shrill and piercing despite its rather low tone. "I demand you tell me, right now, where am I?"

  Gobsmacked, he replied. "Inside the Tardis."

  "The what?"

  "The Tardis."

  Her face contorted into one of complete disapproval. "What?"

  The Doctor stepped back towards the console as he attempted to keep his cool, which EJ was impressed with: already, he was riled up by her. "The Tardis."

  "The what?"

  He took a deep breath in retaliation to her shouting. "It's called the Tardis."

  "She, please." EJ countered, though he knew it wasn't the time. "She's more than just a machine, you know. She's absolutely gorgeous."

  "She's called the Tardis." The Doctor corrected, for his friends benefit.

  "That's not even a proper word." The woman replied, rather snootily. She already had more than enough, and it had been less than two minutes. "You're just saying things."

  "Now, you see, if we're going there, technically, there are no real words." EJ began, but he trailed off rather quickly, when he saw the look that the Doctor was giving him. "Just saying."

  The Doctor stared at her, and the black haired boy could only imagine what was running through his head. "How did you get in here?"

  "Well, obviously, when you kidnapped me." EJ had to physically stop himself from snorting at her response. "Who was it? Who's paying you? Was it Nerys? Oh my God, she's finally got me back. This has got Nerys written all over it."

  "Who's Nerys?" He asked, rubbing at the back of his neck.

  "You're best friend!"

  "Well, you seem rather sure of yourself, don't you?" EJ shoved his hands into the pockets of his pyjama trousers, leaning up against the console beside the Doctor. "I don't even know anyone called fucking Nerys, but whoever she is, she sounds like a pain."

  "Hold on, wait a minute." The Doctor interjected. "What are you dressed like that for?"

  Her face contorted into one of immense anger. "I'm going ten pin bowling... why do you think, dumbo! I was halfway up the aisle! I waited all my life for this! I was just seconds away, and the  you... I dunno, you drug me or something."

  "I haven't done anything." The Doctor retaliated as he pressed a few of the buttons on the console.

  "Can you be quieter?" EJ sent the woman a look, grimacing slightly. "Some of us get stress headaches." 

  "I'm having the police on you!" She spat at them like they were nothing but dogs. "Me and my husband, as soon as he is my husband, we're gonna sue the living backside of you!"

  The Doctor and EJ shared a loo, but before they could respond, the woman ran towards the Tardis doors, which would only be trouble. The former reached after her with an arm outstretched but it did very little. "No, wait a minute, wait a minute, don't..."

     Every so often, EJ did do something such as this. He loved space, perhaps more than he loved most things. When the redheaded woman opened the doors, she could see an entire galaxy in motion, just as it should have been. There were beautiful pinks and purples all swirling around, in a gaseous form, like clouds. That was when she finally had enough, and EJ wanted little else than to just stand there forever.

     The Doctor stood behind her, leaning against the doors, casually. For a moment, EJ found himself staring at the Time Lord rather than the view. Though, he would argue any day of the week that the Doctor was much more enticing than any other sight. It was a tight battle between the both of them.

     "You're in space." He informed as EJ joined them both, sighing deeply. "Outer space. This is my... spaceship. She 's called the Tardis."

  She just stared in front of her, not daring to look back. "How am I breathing?"

  "The Tardis is protecting us."

  She looked a little bit sick as she queried. "Who are you?"

  "I'm the Doctor." He smiled, though she didn't see it.

  The black haired boy waved at her, ever so slightly awkwardly. "EJ."

  "You?"

  Rather reluctantly, she responded. "Donna."

  The Doctor glanced over her figure, extremely briefly. "Human?"

  "Yeah." Donna replied without thinking, then pausing. "Is that optional?"

  "Well," He seemed to pause, rubbing the back of his neck, not wanting to completely terrify her. "It is for me."

    She stared at him, shocked. EJ saw her entire demeanour shift, and the Doctor didn't notice as he stared out into space. "You're an alien?"

   "Yeah." He sighed.

     EJ found himself struggling to choose where to look. On the one hand, there were rarely many moments when they were able to just stop, but the Doctor was so beautiful. His eyes were still slightly red from crying, and his freckled face was soft. Even his hair was enticing, slightly floppy if anything, but it made EJ want to run his hands through it. Speaking of hands... the Doctor's were gripping onto the Tardis doors, slender fingers stretching upwards, and suddenly, the view didn't matter anymore.

     The others had been staring at the stars for a short while, and then, Donna sighed. "It's freezing with these doors open."

  The Doctor threw the Tardis doors closed and raced back towards the centre console (EJ did follow him, but he was momentarily enthralled by the sight of the skinny man in the suit). "I don't understand it, and I understand everything!"

  "That's not true." The Thompson boy rolled his eyes. "Hello? Beast and the Pit? Forced to live eternal, modern day Cupid and all that shit."

  "Yeah, but we've got that sorted." The Doctor retallied as he gestured to the monitor, which had an open tab for the results of the blood test to come through. "This... can't happen. There's no way a human being can lock itself onto the Tardis and transport itself inside. It must be..."

  He grabbed an ophthalmoscope from his tool belt hanging off the chair and used it to look closely in Donna's eyes. EJ looked to her, apologetically. "Yeah, I'm sorry about him. He's got no sense of... anything."

  The Doctor began to rattle off as many possibilities as he could. "It must be some sort of subatomic connection, something in the temporal field. Maybe something pulling you into alignment with the chronon shell. Maybe something macrobanding your DNA with the interior matrix... maybe a genetic-" Donna cut him off by slapping him, and he was not impressed. "What was that for?"

  "Get me to the church!" Her voice boomed through the console room.

  "Right, fine. I don't want you here anyway!" He retorted. "Where is the wedding?"

  "St Mary's, Haven Road, Chiswick, London, England. Earth. The Solar System." She only stopped heckling them when she saw a top lying on one of the beams, and she marched over to it, snatching it in her hands. "I knew it. Acting all innocent, I'm not the first. am I? How many women have you abducted?"

     EJ watched as the Doctor's heart snapped in two all over again. It had only been minutes since they said goodbye, and already, Donna was unwittingly rubbing it in. The pink and purple shirt that Rose wore when they visited New Earth. He could feel sick rising in his throat, but he pushed it away as the Doctor managed to choke out a word.

     "That's my friends."

  "Where is she, then?" Donna taunted, obviously not realising just how hard it was for them. "Popped out for a spacewalk?"

    The Doctor cleared his throat. "She's gone."

  "Gone where?"

  "I lost her." He looked to the console, and EJ reached out to touch his hand. They didn't share a gaze. It wasn't necessary.

  "Well, you can hurry up and lose me!" Donna paused, before backtracking. "How do you mean lost?"

  The Doctor didn't say anything as he took the shirt and put it back on the chair before flipping a switch on the console, and his entire mood shifted back to one of the happiest EJ had ever seen. "Right! Chiswick!"

     It didn't take very long for the Tardis to lock onto somewhere, but, knowing their luck, they'd be stuck in Wales rather than London. When they exited the ship, they found themselves in an alley, just off a high street. The Doctor and EJ left first, rather swiftly, just to get an idea of where they were. However, Donna took a while to follow them.

     "I said St Mary's." She couldn't have sounded less impressed with them. "What sort of Martian are you? Where's this?"

  "Jesus, you're a right whine, aren't you?" EJ rolled his eyes as he watched the Doctor stroke the side of the Tardis.

  "Something's wrong with her? The Tardis, like she's recalibrating!" He ran inside and picked up his stethoscope and moved it around the console. "She's digesting. What is it? What's wrong?"

  "Is she okay?" The Thompson boy asked as he jumped indoors, curiously. "Is there anything I can do."

  "No, not yet." The Doctor offered him a great smile anyways. Then, he called to the red haired woman who was still outside. "Donna! Is there anything that might have caused this? Anything you might have done? Any sort of alien contact? Cos I can't let you go wandering off, not if you're dangerous. I mean, have you... have you seen lights in the sky? Or did you touch something, like, something different, something strange, like something made out of a funny sort of metal.. who are you getting married to? You sure he's human? He's not a bit overweight with a zip round his forehead, is he?"

     She didn't answer the Doctor, and instead, she clasped her hands over her mouth as she stood outside. Donna had just realised that the Tardis was a little different to other ships, and it was quite overwhelming. Tears pricked her eyes as she ran away, meaning the others would have to follow her.  EJ wasn't in the mood for running, which was why he was glad as soon as she turned the corner, she stopped.

     "Donna!" The Doctor announced as they caught up with her. "Donna?"

  "Leave me alone." Donna pushed them away, marching as swiftly as she was able. "I just wanna get married."

  "Come back to the Tardis."

  "No way." It wasn't an option. "That box is too weird."

  "She's not weird." EJ retaliated, upset by her accusation. "She's beautiful."

  The Doctor buried his hands into his trouser pockets. "It's bigger on the inside, that's all."

  "Oh, that's all." Donna scoffed before checking her small silver watch which rested on her wrist. "Ten past three, I'm gonna miss it."

  "Can't you phone them, tell them where you are?"

  Donna looked to him expectantly. "How do I do that?"

  His face became partially stoic as they looked to cross the road. "Haven't you got a mobile?"

  "I'm in my wedding dress. It doesn't have pockets. Who has pockets? Have you ever seen a bride with pockets? When I went to my fitting at Chez Allison, the one thing I forgot to say was give me pockets!"

  The Doctor nodded and kissed his teeth, sharing a glance with EJ as they both inhaled. "This man you're marrying, what's his name?"

  "Lance." Donna immediately smiled and softened at the thought of him.

  "Good luck, Lance."

  "Oi." She snapped. "No stupid Martian is gonna stop me from getting married. To hell with you!"

  Once again, she ran, and the duo were left stood at the curb. The Doctor leant his head back, reluctant to chase after her. "I'm... I'm not... I'm not from Mars."

  "Taxi!" Donna cried out for one of the black cabs to stop, and yet, none of them did. "He had his light on!"

  The Doctor almost chased one up the street. "There's another one."

"Oi!"

"What did I say about stress headaches?" EJ's eyes narrowed in her direction. "Seriously!"

"Do they act like this with everyone?" The Doctor asked as they stopped at the edge of the curb. "Why aren't they stopping?"

  Donna scoffed. "They think I'm in fancy dress."

  A car's honker went off as it passed, and a man called from the driver's seat. "Lay off the sauce, darlin'!"

  "They think I'm drunk!" She remarked in disbelief.

  Two teenagers in a blue car called next, quick quick in succession. "You're fooling no one mate!"

  "They think I'm in drag!"

  "Hmm." The Doctor said as he looked her up and down for a second. "Hold on, hold on."

  "I mean, we do look a bit panto." EJ replied, nonchalantly. "Me in pyjamas, you in a wedding dress."

     Donna did look like she wanted to slap the black haired boy, but she refrained. Instead, the Doctor raced out into the road and whistled as shrilly as he was able. With it, a black cab finally pulled over for them.

     The bride clambered into the backseat, the Doctor and EJ squishing in beside her. It was a tight squeeze, but EJ couldn't say he minded all that much, considering it meant he was that much closer to the Doctor, physically. These thoughts needed to be considerably reduced for them to continue living together efficiently.

     "St Mary's in Chiswick, just off Haven Road." Donna told the driver as quickly as she could. "It's an emergency, I'm getting married, just... Hurry up!" 

  "That'll cost you, sweetheart, double rates today."

  "Oh my God." She paused in realisation, looking to the two men for support. "Have you got any money?"

  The Doctor looked back at her confused. "Um. No. Haven't you?"

  In disbelief, she gritted her teeth and stared back. "Pockets!"

     The man dropped them back off exactly where they started, which concluded that they were no further forwards. However, as the Doctor closed the car door behind the three of them, Donna shouted back at him. The driver probably didn't care. He probably dealt with people worse than her.

     "...And that goes for your mother!" Donna spat, turning back to face EJ and the Doctor. "I'll have him. I've got his number, I'll have him. Talk about the Christmas spirit?"

  "Is it Christmas?" The Doctor asked in wonder as he began to take in their surroundings; he looked like a child on, well, Christmas.

  "We've done it again!" EJ groaned, throwing his head back in frustration. "Missed my birthday, again. I'm twenty-two now, happy birthday me for a month and a half ago."

  "Are you okay?"

  "No, not only that, but I'm supposed to spend Christmas Day with Josh. He's my little boy, I can't just miss Christmas." He huffed, his body slightly tense. "This is going great, isn't it?"

  Donna furrowed her brows as she looked to the Doctor. "Well, duh. Maybe not on Mars, but here it's Christmas Eve." Then, she paused, something grabbing her attention. "Phone box! We can reverse the charges!"

  They fast-walked down the street, which left a little time for conversation, which the Time Lord seemed invested in. "How come you're getting married on Christmas Eve?"

  "Can't bear it, I hate Christmas." She responded. "Honeymoon, Morocco, sunshine, lovely."

  EJ deadpanned. "You're a weirdo."

  "What's the operator?" Donna asked as she stepped into the phone box. "I've not done this in years. What do you dial, 100?"

  The Doctor pointed his sonic screwdriver to the machine and buzzed it. "Just call direct."

  "What did you do?"

  "Something... Martian." The Doctor replied to shut her up, and EJ could tell that he instantly regretted it. "Now, phone! I'll get money."

     The two men ran down the street to the closest cash point that they could find. However, there was a man currently using it, which meant they had to wait. The Doctor was incredibly impatient, jumping from foot to foot as they stood. EJ stared into the sky, until the Doctor pulled him forwards.

     The Thompson boy used his body to cover the screen just in case anyone saw what they were doing. Then, the Doctor sonic-ed the screen as discreetly as he was able. It changed to read: please take your cash. A large sum of money was released and the Doctor took it, quickly, hiding it away in his jacket pocket. Of course, that was when they noticed the Santa's.

     They were dressed in red, as they should be, holding brass instruments as they stalked the streets in their quartet. More frighteningly, they had plastic faces, and they knew exactly what they were. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen rang hauntingly through the air, and EJ pulled at the Doctor's arm, uncomfortably.

     "They're not what I think they are, are they?" EJ queried, but he was given no answer. "Doctor?"

  However, it was Donna who had snatched his attention. "Taxi!" By the time they saw her, she was running into a black cab, directing one more snarky comment their way. "Thanks for nothing, spaceman. I'll see you in court!"

  "Shit!" EJ mumbled as the cab drove away, a pilot fish in the driving seat.

  The Doctor shouted, loudly. "Donna!"

     They were left standing in the street, opposite the quartet. The Santa's moved into a line, altering the instruments so that they were more like guns. When the Doctor noticed, he pointed the sonic at the cash machine, causing it to malfunction and reflux, spurting out an ungodly amount of money everywhere. It made the entire population go absolutely mad as they looked to find as many notes as they were able.

     It gave EJ and the Doctor the chance to run back to the Tardis without the pilot fish causing them any issues. They ran to the ship as fast as they were able, and the Doctor used the key to unlock her. He was in a rush to press as many buttons on the centre console as he was able, even using the mallet a few times to try and stabilise their flight. EJ was holding a few levers in place, which was something he hardly ever did, which really did mean they were in a rush.

     The Tardis was thrumming in distress as she wasn't used to being flown so roughly, but it seemed they didn't have much of a choice. There was a GPS on the monitor, tracking Donna so that she wouldn't be lost, however, the sparks flying everywhere meant that EJ didn't pay it too much attention.

     "Behave!" The Doctor remarked as he hit the console with a mallet once again. 

     During the treacherous flight, the Tardis hit the road at least once, and two cars, not that the Doctor would admit it. It was quite dangerous, probably the most frightened EJ had been inside of the ship, even though it was a rush of adrenaline. He watched as a long piece of string was wrapped around some of the controls to keep everything in place, because there was far too much for one person. Then, the Doctor made his way towards the Tardis doors, string end in hand.

     There were many cars on the road, but the only one they were interested in was the black cab. Donna was attempting to open the door, and the Doctor attempted to converse with her, but it didn't seem to be helping so much.

     "Open the door!"

  Her eyebrows raised. "Do what?"

  He screamed over the road-noise. "Open the door!"

  "I can't!" She sounded genuinely terrified. "It's locked!" One handed, the Doctor took his sonic out of his suit, and pointed it at the cab, and Donna pulled down the window. "Santa's a robot!"

    "Tell me about it." EJ rolled his eyes from the console. "Put a right big dampener on Christmas last year."

  "Donna, open the door." The Doctor told her, angrily.

  "What for?"

  "You've got to jump!"

  "Am I blinking flip jumping! I'm supposed to be getting married!"

     Before they could try and convince her any further, the cab drove forwards, which meant the pilot fish knew what was happening. As it moved on, and the Doctor stood by the open doors, he pulled the string. The Tardis began to spark, worse than before, and EJ had to abandon his post to cover his head from the fiery discharge. However, it did what they needed it to do, and scraped another car all to keep up with the taxi again.

     The Doctor was really trying to fall over, so he used the sonic to disable the pilot fish. It sparked slightly, and its hands gripped the wheel. It wouldn't be moving any faster, that was certain, only now it looked like a stereotypical alien rather than Santa.

     "Listen to me!" The Doctor told her, clearly. "You've got to jump!"

  Donna retaliated with as much fire as she could muster. "I'm not jumping on a motorway!"

"Whatever that thing is, it needs you. And whatever it needs you for, it's not good! Now, come on!"

  "I'm in my wedding dress!"

  "Yes, you look lovely." The Doctor smiled as amicably as possible. "Come on!"

  She opened the door, and it swung out and hit the side of the cab; a small yelp left her lips as she clung to the car, just looking at the Doctor's outstretched arms. "I can't do it!"

  "Trust me." He said, calmly. 

  "Is that what you said to her?" Donna asked, looking for something in his eyes, anything, that she could latch onto. "Your friend. The one you lost. Did she trust you?"

  "Yes, she did. And she is not dead. She is so alive." There was a sort of peace to the way that the Doctor said it, like he was coming to terms with it. "Now, jump!"

     That seemed to be enough, because Donna jumped from the car, screaming, and straight into the Tardis. However, because the Doctor was stood in the doorway, she landed directly on top of him. Thankfully, they were both safe, and they both stood up incredibly quickly as the Tardis closed their doors and they were up and away.

     They ended up on the roof of a tall building which gave them a nice view of wherever they really were, however, they Tardis didn't end up in as good a shape as them. Donna checked her watch immediately as the Doctor spluttered. He was wafting away smoke whilst simultaneously spraying a fire extinguisher as he exited the ship.

     "Funny thing is, for a spaceship, she doesn't do that much flying." The Doctor attempted to make as excuses. "We'd better give her a couple of hours. You alright?"

  Donna replied, nonchalantly. "Doesn't matter."

  "Did we miss it?" The Doctor's face dropped, and EJ pulled an awkward face.

  "Yeah."

  "Well, you can book another date." He suggested.

  She shrugged her shoulders, uninterested. "It's just a holiday, now."

  "Yeah... yeah."

  "Holiday with lots of sex." EJ offered, slightly uninterested, but trying to find something fun. "Can't be the worst thing to do with your time."

  The Doctor apologised, both for the situation and the Thompson boy. "Sorry."

  "It's not your fault." Donna half-smiled, trying to make them feel better.

  "Oh." He hummed, bemused. "That's a change."

  "Wish you had a time machine. Then we could go back and get it right."

  "Um, yeah, yeah. But..." The Doctor gulped, rubbing at the back of his neck, coming up with as much as he could. "Even if I did, I couldn't go back on someone's personal timeline. Apparently."

     Donna sat with her legs dangling over the edge of the building. The wind had started to pick back up, and EJ was regretting the pyjamas, once again, but they were comfortable, so it really was a win-lose situation. He and the Doctor joined her in sitting there, but not before the latter placed his jacket over her shoulders.

     "God, you're skinny." She remarked, glancing briefly at the material. "This wouldn't fit a rat."

  "Oh, and you'd better put this on." The Doctor took a ring, which mimicked a wedding band rather well, from his trouser pocket.

  "Oh, d'you have to rub it in?"

  "That is pretty bad, Doctor." EJ shrugged, quite enjoying the kindling of the possible argument. "Even for you, for shame."

  "Those creatures can trace you." The Doctor replied seriously, ignoring his best friend. "This is a biodamper, should keep you hidden." He took Donna's hand, and placed the ring on her finger. "With this ring, I thee biodamp."

   She sighed, attempting a smile. "For better or for worse."

  "Till death to us part." EJ grumbled, picking at the skin on his hands, watching as they began to bleed. "Or something like that, right?"

  Donna looked at them both, curiously. "So, come on, then. Robot Santa's, what are they for?"

  "Oh, your basic roboscavenger. The Father Christmas stuff is just a disguise." The Doctor said, looking out over the city. "They're trying to blend in. We met them last Christmas."

  Now, she was even more clueless than before, which seemed to be an achievement in itself. "Why, what happened then?"

  "Are you joking?" The Thompson boy queried.

  "Great big spaceship, hovering over London? You didn't notice?"

  Donna shrugged it off. "I had a bit of a hangover."

  "I spent Christmas Day just over there. The Powell Estate... with this... family. My friend, she had this family. Well, they..." A silence washed over them, and the Doctor cleared his throat. "Still. Gone now."

  "Your friend? Who was she?"

  EJ offered an apologetic smile as she was ignored; it was now very clear that the Doctor was not coping. "The question is, what do camouflage robot mercenaries want with you? And how did you get inside the Tardis? I dunno... what's your job?"

  Despite Donna wearing the jacket, the Doctor reached into his pocket and took out the sonic. "I'm a secretary."

    He began to scan her. "Weird. I mean, you're not special, you're not powerful, you're not connected, you're not clever, you're not important.."

  "This friend of yours," Donna kissed her teeth. "Just before she left, did she punch you in the face?"

  "I have." EJ raised his hand, quite proud of himself, though the memory was tainted by the kiss, and he didn't know yet what they were going to do about it. "Well, it was a slap, but it's the same thing."

  She thwacked the sonic away. "Stop bleeping me!"

  "What kind of secretary?"

  "I'm at HC Clements. That's where I met Lance, I was temping..." Suddenly, her entire demeanour relaxed. "I mean, it was all a bit posh, really. I'd spent the last two years at a double glazing firm. Well, I thought, I'm never going to fit in here. And then, he made me a cup of coffee. I mean, that just doesn't happen. Nobody gets the secretaries a coffee. And Lance, he's the Head of HR, he didn't need to bother with me. But he was nice, he was funny. And it turns out he thought everyone else was really snotty too. So, that's how it started, me and him. One cup of coffee and that was it."

  "When was this?" The Doctor questioned.

  Donna smiled, fondly. "Six months ago."

  "Bit quick, to get married."

  "Very quick." EJ agreed. "I've known this one for two years now, we've kissed once. I mean, what sort of friend is that?"

  "Is now really the time?" The Doctor half whispered, half hissed into his ear. Despite the goosebumps which ran over his skin, and the fact that his hair stood on end, there was something quite sexy about it.

  The tattooed man deadpanned, unimpressed. "It's always the time to make jokes."

  "Well... he insisted." Donna replied, though something in her tone suggested otherwise. "And he nagged me. And he just wore me down. And then finally I gave in."

  "What does HC Clements do?" The Doctor asked.

  "Oh, security systems. Y'know, entry codes, ID cards, that sort of thing." She rattled off, uninterested. "Ask me, it's a posh name for a locksmith's."

  He hummed in response. "Keys..."

  "Anyway, enough of my CV. Come on, it's time to face the consequences." Donna really seemed to be regretting her choices. "Oh, this is gonna be so shaming. You can do the explaining, Martian Boy."

  "Yeah," The Doctor nodded at her as he helped her up, leaving EJ to fend for himself. "I'm not from Mars."

  "Oh, I had this great big reception all planned. Everyone's going to be heartbroken."

  "I'll be honest with you, Donna," EJ sighed as they began to leave from the roof, hands in pockets, and slightly cold. "I really wanted you to say that it was time to face the music."

  Her brows furrowed. "Why?"

  "Cos then I would have said that it was time to light the lights."

  The Doctor shook his head at the black haired boy. "That was time to play the music."

  "It doesn't matter." EJ retorted, his bottom lip jutting out quite far. "The Muppet's is forever iconic."

✯ ★ ✯

Disclaimer!!!
I do not own Doctor Who, it's characters and original storylines. The only things I do own are my own characters, my addition to the series and my own storylines. Any similarities to real life are purely coincidental.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.2K 346 15
EDITED COMPLETE Doctor Who Series One The Doctors Daughter
5.4K 274 11
Where someone new joins the Doctor's life. A mystery, an impossibility he can't seem to decipher. A question he can't seem to answer, and he doesn't...
69.9K 2.3K 67
callisto, an alien from a far away planet, is trapped in a museum of alien artefacts. a man with no name and only a job title finds her and invites h...
88.4K 3.9K 76
"I thought I told you not to wander off," the Doctor reminds her but she ignores him. "I changed my mind," Cherry muses, a small smile playing on he...