Desperate Times--A novella

By danny_manny

James Christianson, the soon-to-be alpha of one of the richest packs in the country. Known for its opulence a... More

Authors note
Prologue
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Ten
Eleven

Nine

1.4K 76 17
By danny_manny

James' POV

I wasn't expecting a wake-up call from Byn.

But I definitely wasn't expecting to spend all afternoon and night with him. Building Legos and watching movies.

I know I teased him about him missing me, but little did he know just how much I missed him. I thought about him every day. All day. Even when I was practicing my mind drifted to him. 

I also wasn't expecting the way his eyes trailed down my chest when I answered the door. He didn't think I noticed, but I did. And fuck it did something to me. However, I wondered if it was just the mate bond that made him feel that way or if it was because he felt that way.

Byn was more on the leaner side, which didn't bother me at all. I honestly liked the fact I was bigger than him. It'd make it easier when we'd finally--

"These fucking pieces don't go together." Byn huffed out annoyed. We'd still been working on the titanic set I got, but it seemed Byn was struggling to build it. For someone who works with his hands.

"You're thinking too hard about it." I pressed my leg harder onto his. I mean the next best thing would be just to throw his leg over mine but I don't know if that'd freak him out.

"You're not thinking enough." He huffed and I laughed lightly. 

I watched as his eyebrows furrowed together as he focused on the pieces. He didn't even know how much it was affecting me to see him like this. So interested in what I was, and did not complain about it once. My mom and dad try, seeing as I'm the only child, but they always get bored after two hours. 

Byn and I have been going at this for five. And he hasn't complained once.

I just stared, and I'm sure he could sense it. He was just so...gorgeous. I don't know. There was something about him...maybe it was the piercings or his gorgeous eyes or...I don't know. But fuck, what did I do to be blessed with such a handsome mate?

"You're staring at me. Why?" He asked and turned to look at me. Those green eyes...

"I like looking at pretty things," I whispered, my eyes still tracing his face and memorizing every part of his face like it was the only time I'd see it. His cheeks started to shine bright red and a smirk came across my face.

"Shut up," 

"Why?"

"Just don't, that's all."

"Why would I stop when it gets you flustered like this?" I leaned closer and Byn sucked in a breath. I don't know what's coming over me, or why all of a sudden I'm feeling extremely bold but I am. I really am.

My eyes flicked to his lips, and fuck they were the best lips I'd ever seen. Kissing was not in the plan for today, but damn am I not thinking about it now. My hand somehow found its way to his thigh and rested there. Delicious sparks shoot up and down my arm.

"James," Byn whispered, his eyes focused on my lips. My stomach lurched and I felt myself start to grow in my sweats. He said my name so breathlessly that it made my thoughts jumble. 

"Saw my name again." My breath fanned his lips and his tongue flicked out to wet them. I felt something deep and primal start to develop in me and it was surprising but I also welcomed it. And from the scent change coming from Byn, he liked it too.

"Ja--"

"JAMES! Honey, you home! I brought dinner! Also whose truck is that out there? Do you have a guest?"

We both jumped apart at the sound of my mom's voice and I inwardly cursed. Byn looked even more flustered and I now had a very hard problem and a rampant imagination. He was about to say my name again...

"Uhh-- I guess the question is, are you ready to meet my mom?"

"Wait...what?" Byn shook his head in confusion, pulling away from me even more. I already missed those sparks. "Meet your mom? No...no. It's too soon. I haven't even told my parents about you yet."

"Ouch," I teased him but also, yeah ouch. I mean I also haven't told my parents either, but mine was for a completely different reason. I don't know how they would react to me being gay.

"No, th--that's not what I meant. I am going to tell them I--"

"James! Where are you?" My mother yelled again and I sighed. 

"Yes or no button? We are running out of time." Byn groaned and ran his hand through his hair and leaned back in the chair. He threw his hands up in defeat and stood.

"I guess I'm meeting your mom." A smile so big erupted from my face and I jumped to my feet. 

I reached out my hand and grabbed his before he could try and protest. Though I don't think he would. Byn immediately interlocked our fingers together and my chest warmed. I could feel his nervousness and also at the fact his hands started to sweat. I rubbed my thumb over his palm in hopes that it would ease whatever fear he had.

"Just think of her as the Luna and not my mom," I whispered as we walked down the hall.

"That doesn't help either." He grumbled and I stifled my laugh. My mom must have heard our steps as we walked down the staircase because she started talking again.

"Is that Greene's truck outside? I've never seen him drive it, and it also looks a little old for his usual taste." I winced at the mention of Greene and my mom's insult towards Byn's truck.

I knew at some point I'd have to talk with him about the Greene thing. But I had no idea how to bring it up without making Byn uncomfortable. I mean Greene is still my best friend...and I know mates get jealous. I mean if I found out that Byn had slept with any of his friends I wouldn't want them talking anymore either. I turned to look at Byn and his cheeks were red with embarrassment and Tryst growled. Wanting to make our mate feel better and not feel less than because of the car he happened to drive.

We were on the main floor and Byn tried to pull away from me. But instead, I held him closer and tighter. It just felt like it was important for him to know that I wasn't ashamed of him, no matter where he came from. 

"Honey? Is it-- Oh...Hi?" My mom rounded the corner, her hair freshly done. She looked at Byn and of course, her Luna instincts were kicked on, and her face softened. But then her eyes flickered to out held hands and shock covered her face.

"Hi there." 

"Hi, Luna, umm--" Byn cleared his throat and his eyes cut to me. He squeezed my hand tighter with nerves.

"Byn, this is my mom, mom this is my mate, Bynjamin," I spoke for him and I waited for her reaction. My heart was racing realizing what was happening. I was pretty much coming out to my mom...

"Your mate?" She paused, "You met your mate," Paused again, "You met your mate and you didn't tell me?" She screamed the last part as a smile came on her face and before I knew it, had her arms wrapped around Byn, hugging him. "Oh, I'm so happy to meet you! Come, I'll cook something." She pulled away and walked to the kitchen, not before patting my face and giving me a gentle kiss on the cheek.

I turned and looked at Byn who looked just as stunned as I did. I offered a reassuring smile and walked to the kitchen to see whatever the hell my mom was going to make.

*****

"So, how long have you known each other?" My mom tried her hardest to make something but that woman does not cook. So instead she called in the chef and they made us some sandwiches and an impressive salad.

"We met on the first day of school. He was late--"

"I was not late." Byn interrupted and I chuckled.

"He was just on time and he walked in, and I had never seen him before. And yeah. We've been talking since then." I felt a blush rise on my cheeks mentioning our first moments together. I don't know why but it just sounded oddly romantic.

"That's sweet, and Byn what does your family do in the pack?"

"Oh, we run the tattoo shop down in the lower part of town." Byn opted for sitting across from me rather than beside me and it irked me a little. Now that we passed the physical touch barrier I wanted to keep touching him. I didn't miss how my mom made a sound of disgust when he said 'lower'.

"I hate that word. Ugh I hate it so much. We are all in the same pack, and yes some make more than others, but I don't like how divided we've become. Why can't we all just get along?"

"That's sweet of you to say, but it's hard to get along with people who flaunt their wealth in the working class faces" Byn shrugged and I saw his fist clench. My mom went rigid and her eyes narrowed.

This can't be good. This can't be good at all.

"I don't think 'flaunt' is the right word. I mean, either way, our pack is very well off compared to others."

"Yes, and yet, the uppers are living lavishly in giant houses and brand new cars and streets, and the lowers can barely afford the rising housing costs of the pack."

"The prices rise with demand. More and more wolves are transferring to join us here. We are growing."

"While also making it impossible for current members, members that have been here since the beginning, founding families, are struggling to make ends meet." 

It was like watching a tennis match, and they were vollying and neither was going to let the other win. Each hit harder and further than the last. I didn't know what to say, I felt like I should say something, but what? Defend my mother or my mate?

"There are financial literacy classes given, it's not my fault that they can't handle their money." My mother spat out, arms crossed. "And all founding families are and have been taken care of, so I don't know where that statement came from."

"I'm sorry Luna, but you're wrong. Three founding families have been erased and tossed aside. And it has been brought to the attention of the alpha and the one before that and the one before that. Each grievance had been ignored."

My mother was seething at this point, the food completely forgotten.

"Are you disrespecting your alpha?" Byn's eyes went wide at the accusation, and honestly so did mine.

"N-no, I would never. I'm just saying that the 'language' that you despise, is a lot deeper than you think."

"Well, to me it sounds like you're jealous that you can't buy yourself a new car." I pushed Tryst down as far as I could, but he was scratching to come out.

"Mom--"

"It's nothing to do with cars," Byn said through gritted teeth. "It would do you well if you looked up, Hansen, Richardson, and Flotrey. You'll see. Thank you for lunch, Luna." 

Flotrey...that was Byn's last name, but why would he...unless his family was one of the founding families he mentioned. But if so then why the hell, wouldn't he have said something to me earlier? Before I could fully register all that was happening, Byn was to his feet, leaving the room. 

I turned to my mom and gave her a look, all she did was shrug and drink her water. I got up and practically chased after Byn seeing as he was already out the door and almost to his truck.

"Byn! Wait, where are you going?" I caught up to him and grabbed his arm, and he yanked it out of my hold. Can't say that didn't hurt my feelings.

"Why didn't you say anything?" Hurt flashed in his eyes as he looked at me. It was here, I realized I fucked up...badly.

"I--what was I supposed to say?" That wasn't the right answer. I watched as Byn took a step from me and sighed.

"This was a mistake...we're moving too fast." The words were a knife to my heart, and Tryst was clawing at me to make us right again.

"What do you mean? No, no, I didn't realize--we haven't talked about those things yet, so I didn't know what to say." I rambled, trying to get him to understand.

"Do you agree with your mom?"

"No...I don't know, I don't know anything. I haven't been immersed in my training yet. I didn't even know about the prices being raised I just--" Byn nodded and took another step back again. "Byn, I didn't know."

"I hear you. I just think...I think we are on two separate pages right now--"

"No, no we're not. Don't pull away. Okay? Give me some time, and I'll learn. Just don't do whatever it is you're about to." I was basically pleading at this point. Begging.

"James, I think you're great and if you weren't the golden boy, and I wasn't a lower maybe it would work out the way we want it to. But I think we should just slow down and give each other time to get to know one another."

Was he serious? Was he being serious right now? What the fuck is happening?

'What the fuck is happening?' Tryst asked with a whine. 

He wasn't rejecting us, but fuck...it sure felt like it.

"Is that what you want?" How in the hell did this day turn from perfect to disaster? My voice was barely above a whisper as I asked, even though everything in me was telling me not to...

"Just for right now," All I could do was nod and clench my fist to keep myself from touching him.

"Tell your mom I'm sorry if I offended her, and uhh, I guess I'll see you on Monday." With that Byn got in his truck so quick and pulled off before I knew it.

Tryst was growling and badgering me with questions but I ignored them. I still hadn't fully processed all that had happened myself. I stomped back into the house, anger rising in me with each step. Only to find my mom standing with a blank look on her face.

"James, you should really teach your mate some manners. Accusing your father--"

"Do you not hear yourself? Are you that prideful that you can't see that a pack member was bringing a pack issue to you?" I yelled at her, feeling my skin begin to burn up.

"What? Honey I--"

"You live in a bubble, mom. You don't know what actually goes on in the pack or with Dad. For all we know he's right! And I'll take the blame too. That yeah, I've been ignorant to the shit that'd going on here but at least I know and choose not to speak out of it. That's my mate Mom...my mate. Now he thinks I agreed with all the bullshit you just said."

"J--"

"Whatever, I don't want to hear what you have to say."

________________________________________________________________________________

UHHH OHHH! Shit is getting reallll. I had to add this though, because even though I love James he is very oblivious to the world around him and he needed a wake-up call.

Anyways let me know your thoughts!

Comment, vote, and follow!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 137 14
❝The distance between us is driving me crazy.❞ Kyler and Sebastian have always had a strong connection, though they've never physically met. They can...
5.4M 167K 41
Book #1 in the 'Mine' series Meet Ben, the omega of the Red Forrest pack. This pack doesn't treat their omegas badly because their omegas, everyone...
21.9K 810 18
He wanted someone else. He liked someone else. He loved someone else. NO. He didn't want me. He didn't like me. He didn't, He doesn't love me. Seba...
56K 1.7K 86
Samuel "Sammy" Albright was your normal New York teen; his mother was a famous doctor, his sister was married to a famous socialite, and his brother...