The Eminence in Shadow: The D...

By Lighningtzzz

Kazuto Kirigaya had finally found the tranquillity he'd longed for. With his beloved circle of dear friends... More

Chapter 1: When It All Started
Chapter 2: Pursuit of Shadows
Chapter 3: Clash of Blades and Revelation
Chapter 4: Kirito's Intervention
Chapter 5: Yukime's Resilience
Chapter 6: Mastering Magic and Unlocking Potential
Chapter 7: Whispers in the Shadows
Chapter 8: Undercover Charades
Chapter 9: An Interrupted Date
Chapter 10: Moonlit Pursuit
Chapter 11: Clash of Fates in the Underground Abyss
Chapter 12: Shadows Converge
Chapter 13: Shenanigans Around
Chapter 14: Market Mayhem
Chapter 15: The Unseen Gambit
Chapter 16: Shadows and Synergy
Chapter 17: The Mundane Masquerade
Chapter 18: The Unwanted Charade
Chapter 19: Blades of Defiance
Chapter 20: Bonds of Steel
Chapter 21: Theatrical Intrigues and Daring Rescues
Chapter 22: Cleansing the Shadows
Chapter 23: The Powerful Convergence
Chapter 25: Portals and Punishments
Chapter 26: Veiled Prophecies
Chapter 27: A Mission From Mitsugoshi.
Chapter 28: Secrets and Strife
Chapter 29: Kirito's Unexpected Duel
Chapter 30: Dancing with Danger
Chapter 31: The Academy's Incident
Chapter 32: Kirito's Resolve
Chapter 33: Kirito, Shadow And The Mysterious Clock Tower
Chapter 34: Decisions and Departures
Chapter 35: A Day With A Princess
Chapter 36: Ticking Time of Misfortunes
Chapter 37: The Knight and the Enigmatic Spirit
Chapter 38: Kurumi Versus Kirito
Chapter 39: A Pact Sealed in Light and Shadow
Chapter 40: Kirito, Aurora and Cid's Odyssey
Chapter 41: Chains of Aurora's Past
Chapter 42: Confrontation In The Holy Ground

Chapter 24: Shadows and Secrets

1.2K 51 106
By Lighningtzzz

Shadow sat elegantly in a lavish chair, the dim light of the night casting subtle reflections on his confident demeanour. With a crystal glass of expensive wine in his grasp, he took a moment to relish its rich taste.

Suddenly, Beta, with a hint of exhaustion in her eyes, appeared before him. "Lord Shadow," she began, her voice echoing determination, "the Cult members have been successfully eradicated from the capital. However, it's worth noting that half of the task was single-handedly accomplished by the Dark Swordsman."

Without missing a beat, Shadow replied, "Good."

Beta hesitated, her gaze shifting uneasily. "Lord Shadow, the Dark Swordsman's motives remain a mystery. I struggled to decipher his intentions, but it seems his actions were driven by an enigma that eludes us. Now that you've intervened, I believe the situation is under control."

Shadow's piercing eyes bore into Beta's, "The Dark Swordsman is undeniably formidable. His strength could have easily dismantled our forces if he so desired."

A wave of guilt washed over Beta as she interpreted Shadow's words as an implicit criticism of the Shadow Garden's vulnerability. She bit her lip, feeling responsible for the perceived weakness.

Shadow, however, sensed her unease and clarified, "The threat has been eliminated Beta. I am the sole sovereign of the night, and no force can challenge the dominance of mine. You have served well."

Relief swept over Beta as she absorbed Shadow's assurance, finding solace in the affirmation of their supremacy.

They thought the Dark Swordsman was destroyed.

The next morning...
Kirito stumbled out of his house, still groggy from sleep, and yawned as he opened the door. To his surprise, Cid was standing there with a forced smile plastered on his face.

"Good morning, Kirito!" Cid greeted enthusiastically, his overly cheerful demeanour not matching the early hour.

Before Kirito could respond, a girl emerged from behind Cid and delivered a swift punch to his head. Cid winced, rubbing the sore spot, while the girl gave Kirito an assessing look.

"Morning, Kirito. I'm Claire Kageno, and Cid here can be a bit too much sometimes," she said with a smirk as if enjoying the act of reprimanding Cid.

Confused, Kirito blinked at them both, trying to make sense of the unexpected encounter on his doorstep.

Cid awkwardly cleared his throat, "Uh, Kirito, this is Claire, my sister. She insisted on dragging me here for some reason."

Claire shot Cid a stern glance, "It was necessary, Cid. Don't downplay it."

Cid rubbed his head, chuckling nervously, "Yeah, sorry about that, Kirito. Claire can be a bit... insistent."

Claire took a deep breath, giving a polite bow to Kirito, "I apologize for my brother's behaviour, and I appreciate you taking care of him. Thank you."

Kirito, with a humble smile, replied, "Oh, it's no problem at all. Cid's a friend. We've had some good times together."

Cid, looking somewhat relieved, nodded in agreement. Claire, however, raised an eyebrow, a teasing grin playing on her lips.

"Really?" she remarked, casting a sidelong glance at Cid. "I find it quite intriguing. Cid usually gravitates towards the, well, 'lame and gross' crowd in the academy. How did you manage to capture his friendship, Kirito?"

Kirito chuckled, scratching the back of his head, "Well, it all began when Cid here approached me, asking if he could borrow some money."

Before he could continue with his jesting tone, Kirito noticed Claire's demeanour shift dramatically. Her once playful expression transformed, and an ominous aura emanated from her.

With narrowed eyes, Claire locked her gaze onto Cid, her voice dripping with a menacing tone, "Cid, do you make it a habit to borrow money from your friends?"

Cid's eyes widened, beads of sweat forming on his forehead. Internally, he cursed Kirito for his blunt honesty. Trying to defend himself, Cid stammered, "I mean, Claire, it was just that one time! And I paid him back... eventually! And it wasn’t even a lot…"

Claire, sensing a breach in her brother's financial etiquette, swiftly unsheathed her sword with a theatrical flourish. The glint of the blade added a dramatic touch to the morning scene.

"In all my years," she declared with an air of mock seriousness, "the one time Cid finds a decent guy as his friend, he immediately resorts to borrowing money. Truly, the pinnacle of friendship, brother."

Cid, feeling the impending threat, frantically searched for an escape route in the small-talk battlefield. Beads of sweat multiplied on his forehead as he attempted to conjure a plausible explanation.

In a moment of inspiration, Cid shot a glance at Kirito and a mischievous smirk crept onto his face. With a sly grin, he exclaimed, "You know, Claire, Kirito here has a little secret he shared with me."

Claire, intrigued but wary, narrowed her eyes at Kirito, who now stood puzzled in the middle of this comedic crossfire.

"Oh?" she prompted, her sword still at the ready.

Cid, seizing the opportunity, leaned in and stage-whispered, "Kirito told me he has a massive crush on you, Claire."

Kirito's eyes widened in surprise, and he stammered, "Wait, what? Cid, that's not..."

Claire, caught off guard by the unexpected turn of events, shifted her focus from the financial matter to the alleged crush. A sly grin played on Cid's face as he basked in his clever diversion tactic, leaving Kirito to navigate the amusing aftermath of his unintended confession.

Kirito, realizing the potential disaster Cid's revelation could cause, hastily interjected, "Wait, Claire, that's not true! It's all a big misunderstanding!"

Claire, her eyes fixed on the ground, seemed unexpectedly flustered. The confident aura she exuded moments ago crumbled, leaving Kirito bewildered.

In an attempt to diffuse the awkward tension, Kirito nervously added, "I mean, we're just friends, and I didn't say anything like that to Cid."

Claire, still silent, suddenly punched Cid in the head again, this time with an embarrassed scowl. She hissed, "Cid, why would you say such things out of the blue? This is embarrassing!"

Cid winced, rubbing his head, "Ow!"

Claire shot Kirito an innocent look, struggling to find her words. After a pause, she managed to mumble, "I, uh, well... I'll think about it."

With that, the duo made a hasty exit. As they disappeared from view, Kirito slapped his forehead and sighed, muttering to himself, "This is worse than fighting a hungry Delta at 3 am. Why do I always get caught up in these absurd situations?"

Kirito closed the door behind him with a heavy sigh, attempting to process the whirlwind of emotions from the unexpected morning encounter. Just as he started to walk away, a knock echoed through the silent hallway.

Irritated, Kirito swung the door open, ready to confront Cid for his blatant lie. "Cid, what were you thinking? Why would you say something like that?" he began, voice edged with frustration.

But as the door swung open fully, Kirito's words caught in his throat. Standing before him was Iris Midgar, accompanied by several members of the Crimson Order. Their presence was imposing, and Kirito's face flushed with embarrassment, realizing his outburst was entirely misplaced.

"Iris... I didn't expect..." Kirito stammered, his cheeks reddening further as he tried to salvage the situation.

Iris raised an eyebrow, her expression unreadable. "It seems we arrived at an inopportune moment," she remarked coolly, her gaze piercing.

Flustered, Kirito attempted to bow down in apology, but Iris raised a hand to stop him. "No need for formalities," she said, her tone softer but still commanding.

Kirito looked at Iris, who was warmly smiling despite the awkward situation. Her presence exuded a certain grace that momentarily eased Kirito's embarrassment.

Iris spoke, her tone softened, "Kirito, as the captain of the Crimson Order and the one responsible for your arrest and severe interrogation, I've come here to offer my sincere apologies."

Kirito, taken aback, tried to act modestly, "Oh, it's alright, Captain Iris. I understand the circumstances were challenging, and you were just doing your duty."

Iris, however, insisted, her gaze unwavering, "No, Kirito. The Midgar Kingdom is facing great difficulties, and things are a mess. But I'm genuinely glad that there are noblemen like you who, despite the chaos, remain steadfast in their principles."

Iris, with a warm smile, extended a golden badge toward Kirito. "In recognition of your great deeds and as a gesture of our sincere apology, I present you with this honorary citizenship of Midgar," she declared.

Kirito, taken aback, hesitated before accepting the badge. "I appreciate the gesture, Captain Iris, but I really didn't do much," he humbly remarked.

Iris, impressed by his humility, insisted, "You may not realize it, Kirito, but your actions speak volumes. Not only are you a wise and talented mentor to my little sister, but you've proven yourself a humble man in the face of great challenges."

With a genuine smile, Kirito replied, "I don't feel deserving of such honours."

Iris, her tone serious, added, "Kirito Kuroha, you're not just a friend of the Midgar Kingdom; you are the person who saved Alexia Midgar. The debt we owe you runs deep."

As a final gesture, Iris extended an invitation, "In light of your extraordinary contributions, I invite you to join the Crimson Order. Your skills and principles are exactly what we need in these tumultuous times."

Kirito's eyes widened in shock, his mind racing to comprehend how the Crimson Order knew about his role in saving Alexia. "How... How did you know it was me?" he stammered, a mix of surprise and concern etched on his face.

Iris leaned forward slightly, her eyes locking onto Kirito's. "Alexia told us everything," she replied, her voice carrying a hint of admiration. "She spoke of how you brilliantly saved her and stood valiantly against Zenon, the traitor."

As the reality sank in, Kirito let out a sigh, grappling with the realization that Alexia had chosen to attribute his heroic deeds to his Kirito persona rather than acknowledging the Dark Swordsman as the true saviour.

(Why would she lie about that?) Kirito wondered.

Iris, with a soft smile, said, "Having someone like you by my side would be an honour, Kirito Kuroha. Your integrity and bravery are commendable." She paused, looking directly into his eyes, "Good luck, and may our paths cross under more favourable circumstances." With a graceful nod, Iris turned, leading her Crimson Order members away.

Later on...
After the unexpected visit and the whirlwind of emotions that followed, Kirito decided it was time to attend to his more mundane tasks. Stepping out of his house, he made his way to the local market, a place that always buzzed with activity and colour.

The city, still recovering from the previous night's chaos, had a sombre tone. Many establishments were closed, and the streets were quieter than usual. The academy had declared a break due to the extensive damage caused, but Kirito couldn't fully rest. The sight of the ruined cityscape was a constant reminder of the challenges ahead.

Yet, amid the quiet, Kirito felt a sense of gratitude. He realized he had it relatively easy compared to many others. One of the comforts he used to enjoy was having Yukime, who often took care of their groceries and delighted him with her culinary skills. Her warm meals had become a source of solace, especially during challenging times.

As Kirito strolled through the quiet streets, his thoughts lingered on the recent events. The distant echoes of rebuilding efforts filled the air, but amidst the subdued atmosphere, a flash of pink hair caught his attention.

Turning his gaze, Kirito spotted a girl in the academy's uniform. A pang of realization hit him – the pink-haired girl seemed oddly familiar.

Not wanting his cover as the Dark Swordsman to be blown, Kirito mumbled to himself, "I need to do something about this."

Just as he pondered his next move, the shy girl noticed Kirito looking at her. Panic painted her features, and without a moment's hesitation, she turned on her heels and started to run away.

Reacting swiftly, Kirito called out, "Hey, wait!" His voice cut through the air, and the girl's pace quickened in response to the urgency in his tone.

Realizing he needed to address the situation before it escalated, Kirito sprinted after her. "Stop! I just want to talk!" he shouted, hoping to reassure her and prevent any unnecessary commotion.

The girl, fueled by fear, didn't stop but instead quickened her pace, her pink hair bouncing with each hurried step. She kept glancing over her shoulder, eyes wide with terror.

"I don't want to die! Please, leave me alone!" she exclaimed, her voice shaky as she continued sprinting through the narrow streets.

Her words only fueled Kirito's concern, and he hastened his pursuit. "Wait, I don't intend to harm you! Slow down!"

As she turned a corner, she repeated, "I don't want to die!" Her panicked mantra echoed through the empty alleyways.

The girl's pace intensified upon hearing Kirito's voice, her heart pounding loudly in her chest. Her wide eyes darted around, searching for an escape route as panic consumed her.

"I don't want to die! I don't want to die!" she repeated frantically, her voice trembling with fear. Her pink hair swayed wildly as she pushed herself to run faster, the thought of encountering the feared Dark Swordsman haunting her every step.

Taking a quick glance over her shoulder, relief washed over her as she saw no sign of Kirito. Her heart raced with hope, thinking she had evaded him.

But just as she let out a sigh of relief, her hopes were dashed when she collided head-on with a stern-faced Kirito, who had magically appeared right in front of her.

The girl froze, her eyes widening in sheer terror as she trembled before him. Gasping for breath, she blurted out, "I swear, I, Sherry Barnett, definitely didn't see you transform from the Dark Swordsman to Kirito in the capital's library last night!" Her voice was a mix of desperation and disbelief as if trying to convince herself more than him.

An Indebted Princess:
As Alexia connected the dots and realized the Dark Swordsman's true identity as Kirito, she understood the depth of her connection to him. Despite unintentionally causing trouble, she acknowledged Kirito's heroic actions, declaring him the true saviour and ensuring Zenon's punishment. This realization deepened her feelings for Kirito.

Unnamed Appreciation:
Iris independently chose to award Kirito the golden badge as a gesture of appreciation and recognition for his deeds. However, when Alexia sensed something more personal behind the gesture and inquired about it, Iris blushed slightly and skillfully sidestepped the topic, leaving the nature of her motivations ambiguous.

A Protective Sister:
Claire was relieved and appreciative that Cid had befriended Kirito. She noted that Cid typically surrounded himself with individuals she deemed as "losers" or not particularly intelligent. Therefore, seeing Cid spend time with someone like Kirito, whom she held in higher regard, was a pleasant surprise for her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

136K 5.5K 70
All it took was a plane crash, and Kise Ryota was no more. Strangely enough, he didn't feel sadness, only regret. Regret for not checking his engine...
5.1K 133 46
This has no connection with "Ramatsu User (2019)" This is the Re-Imagining of "Ramatsu User (2019)". Everything you read here, will be different. Tha...
274K 7.6K 52
Sora Takahashi died saving his classmate from Truck-kun. Instead of moving on to the afterlife, he was given a choice by the Goddess of Worlds. He co...
264K 5.9K 38
While Claire Kagenou works among the Crimson Order, The Shadow Monarch, Kagari Kagenou watches and over their idiot little brother Cid Kagenou and hi...