Total Drama Action (Lewis McL...

By independent_together

Lewis is back in business, except something's changed. His popularity has only grown since Total Drama Island... More

Lewis' Bio
Monster Cash
Alien Resur-egg-tion
Riot On Set
Beach Blanket Bogus
3:10 To Crazytown
Aftermath I: Trent's Descent
The Chefstank Redemption
One Flu Over the Cuckoos
The Sand Witch Project
Masters of Disasters
Full Metal Drama
Aftermath II: Forgive and For Gwen
Ocean's Eight - Or Nine
One Million Bucks, B.C.
Million Dollar Babies
Dial M for Merger
Super Hero-Id
Aftermath III: O-Wen or Lose
The Princess Pride
Get A Clue
Rock n' Rule
Crouching Courtney, Hidden Owen
2008: A Space Owen
Top Dog
Mutiny On The Soundstage
Who Wants To Pick A Millionaire?
Celebrity Manhunt's TDA Reunion Special

Explaining Amnesia and The Brain

36 1 1
By independent_together

[skip this chapter if you already know what amnesia is and you don't want to have a psychology lesson first thing into 2024]

Okay, before I do another chapter, I need to have a rant here. I've had people saying and asking things about Lewis' memory loss that should have an OBVIOUS answer, for example:

'bro u cant lose ur memory from drowning'

The comment has since then been deleted, so please do NOT go looking for it. I think people on this platform that read my stories should understand that I have done my research on this topic, and I have spent hours and days of my life making sure that this new season is as accurate as possible.

Here's a section from one of the MANY case studies I've researched.

'In addition, near-drowning incidents can also cause neurological problems, including brain damage and seizures. This can result in long-term cognitive problems, including memory loss, difficulty with concentration, and a reduced ability to learn new skills.'

. . . See what I mean?!

In case you didn't really understand, which is totally fine, I'll simplify it for you. Basically, when someone nearly drowns, which in Lewis' case, he nearly did, their brain can't function like it did before. 

(For many adults, they have a risk of brain damage, which can be VERY bad long-term, as well as seizures, which can seriously affect someone both mentally and physically.)

However, since Lewis had only passed out, and was not at the stage of having a 'danger-to-life' situation, he was only affected by amnesia, and strong body pains/aches, which were also sourced from trying to get the submarine hatch open.

Definition of amnesia: 

'loss of memory due usually to brain injury, shock, fatigue, repression, or illness'

Definition of dementia:

'a group of symptoms that affect memory, problem-solving, language and behaviour'

These are two VERY different medical conditions. 

Dementia is extremely severe, and it causes problems in someone's day-to-day life, making it hard for them to complete simple tasks, such as brushing their teeth, or making their breakfast. 

Amnesia is not severe, and it's typically a trauma response from the brain, when it suffers some form of damage. A lot of the time, it's short-term, while in some cases, it can be long-term, depending on the type of trauma, the amount of damage done, etc. etc.

If you need these comparisons, here's a table from, oh my god. . . ANOTHER USEFUL RESOURCE!

See how most of the boxes under 'amnesia' have 'MAY OR MAY NOT' in them? Amnesia isn't as dangerous to the person as dementia can be, although it still can affect them!

(okay now it's time to rant about lewis)

In our young friend, Lewis' case, his trauma response from the brain is not to form D.I.D, like Mike most likely has done to protect himself, but instead to just block out his trauma entirely, which is why he LITERALLY SAYS:

'If I can't remember how I lost a limb, then how the hell am I supposed to remember the people I was around. . . ?'

HE. DOES. NOT. UNDERSTAND. WHY. HE. CANNOT. REMEMBER.

He believes that an event that big should be stored in his memory forever! And, he would be correct, until he learns that trauma responses exist in a completely different, unreleased chapter!

Notice how he remembers Courtney, and then forgets who she is immediately in the next episode? Can you guess what that is? Hm?

You're right!

IT'S ANOTHER TRAUMA RESPONSE.

His brain, unbeknownst to him, recognizes HER face from the single-handedly most traumatic event of his life, pinpoints HER as the cause, and sees HER as a threat towards Lewis' well-being and safety, from that point on.

(right i'm alternating though topics, stay with me here, okay?)

This all happens within his neuron network, which is basically the thing that sorts through and manages every single memory that you make. 

There are two main categories that these neurons sort memories into. 'Working Memory', and 'Long-Term Memory'. Working memory is kind of like short-term memory, although they have no chance of being kept for months/years, etc. 

For example, when you're a kid, and you go to a park, you might meet some other kid you wanna be 'friends' with. So, you hang out, get to know their name, yada yada. Then, the kid has to go home. In a couple hours, that kid brain of yours probably wouldn't remember what the kid looks like, or what their name is. That's working memory.

Long-term memory, nearly everyone knows. It's the things that are kept for a good long time in your life, such as. . . your dog's name, or. . . the classes you have to go to in school. These long-term memories help you function in your every day life. They know your routine, the clothes you like to wear, and all the other things you do EVERY. SINGLE. DAY, probably, without realizing!

In the case of Lewis' amnesia, both his short-term and long-term memories are affected. As I've already mentioned, his long-term is affected by his brain's trauma response, while his short-term memories are affected by. . . well, his trauma responses also.

This is due to something called the hippocampus, which is also part of the neuron network. Basically, the trauma hijacks the brain, and prevents the hippocampus from transforming memories fully, which can cause short-term memory loss. 

Anyway, let's get back to Lewis, since this is technically about him.

I mentioned earlier in this chapter that, unlike Mike, who has D.I.D (called MPD in the show), Lewis' brain refuses to let him remember his traumatic experiences. This is similar to dissociative identity disorder, but only in the sense that D.I.D forms headmates (called alternate personalities in the show) to deal with and protect the body from harm, instead of forcing the host (mike is the host of his subconscious) to deal with those stressful situations. This is kind of like what Lewis' brain was doing, although no headmate was formed, his memories have just been kept away.

I'm comparing Mike to Lewis because it's clear that, even after Mike had gotten rid of his headmates (justice for them btw), Mike still could not remember any of his trauma that had created all of those protective resources that the brain had put in place. What I'm trying to get across here is that, despite those resources being destroyed (somehow idfk??) in an unrealistic matter, can I say, Mike's brain still did not just. . . release those memories back to Mike. It kept them sheltered away, so that he was not hurt.

This is the realistic way the brain works in order to protect the body. It keeps the memories away, with some form of amnesia to protect the body, and even if the resources to protect said body are somehow removed, the brain still keeps the memories away, so that the body isn't mentally damaged again, and has a, possibly dangerous, relapse.

So, please, please, PLEASE use your common sense when referring to Lewis' current mental state, as I have not finished developing his character with this new condition, and also because you most likely do not take an interest in psychology, and most likely do not do research.

Thank you, have a happy new year :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

45.5K 2.1K 22
โ๐™ค๐™ฃ๐™š ๐™ฃ๐™ž๐™œ๐™๐™ฉ, ๐™– ๐™›๐™š๐™ฌ ๐™ข๐™ค๐™ค๐™ฃ๐™จ ๐™–๐™œ๐™ค ๐™ž ๐™จ๐™–๐™ฌ ๐™›๐™ก๐™š๐™˜๐™ ๐™จ ๐™ค๐™› ๐™ฌ๐™๐™–๐™ฉ ๐™˜๐™ค๐™ช๐™ก๐™™'๐™ซ๐™š ๐™—๐™š๐™š๐™ฃ ๐™ก๐™ž๐™œ๐™๐™ฉ๐™จ ๐™—๐™ช๐™ฉ ๐™ž๐™ฉ ๐™ข๐™ž๐™œ๐™๐™ฉ ๐™Ÿ๏ฟฝ...
16.2K 310 57
Takes place after Season 1 of the Total Drama Reboot (2023) RATE: PG-13 (For topics revolving around mental health and abusive couples) A year ago, C...
3.4K 46 27
๐ŸŽ‰*Completed*๐ŸŽŠ Cody was known as the weird kid that can't make girls like him. He wanted to find a way to make people like him so when he was accept...
395K 8.4K 25
~Welcome to Total Drama Island~ You recently boarded an island along with 21 other youngsters. Your friend had seen an ad for this lit contest of win...