A Melody Of You

By Kat7729

I imagine that death is as beautiful as life. It must be peaceful. It must be silent. But then again, we wer... More

Prologue
Leanne
Cristina
Grace
Emma
Leanne
Grace
Cristina
Emma
Leanne
Cristina
Grace
Leanne
Cristina
Leanne
Cristina
Emma
Grace
Cristina
Leanne
Cristina
Emma
Leanne
Grace
Leanne
Cristina
Emma
Cristina
Grace
Leanne
Cristina
Emma
Cristina
Leanne
Grace
Cristina
Emma
Leanne
Cristina
Leanne
Emma
Grace
Cristina
Leanne
Epilogue

Emma

3 0 0
By Kat7729

Today is my first day as the company's representative. The event will aim to collect funds and bring awareness to foster systems. There is plenty to fix in those systems and there is not enough importance to it.

I still remember the first time I worked with a child. His name was Collin. He was a five-year-old boy whose mother was a homeless woman who lived on the streets for over five years. He survived a night in a garbage can when another homeless man found him. He brought him to us and my boss left his case to me after five years of looking for a home for him. He wanted me to prove to him that I was worthy of working in such a great company. He hated me already and the way I took the challenge made him hate me more. Let's say that my strong attitude can sometimes take the best of me.

But I learned that my heart changed when I had children in my arms. I held that child close to my heart as I fought for his safety. It was a difficult journey to find good parents for him and he has his brokenness to hold. Most parents don't like children with trauma. They don't like a child who cries in the middle of the night or begins to shake with something he finds in his surroundings triggering.

But it took one whole year to finally pick up those pieces. He grew close to me and started to cry when we found good parents for him. He held onto my leg with a strength I did not know he had. I crouched down and looked into his honey eyes. He was terrified and it was like I could feel his heart pounding in his chest. So I took his hand and gave him a warm smile.

"We fought so hard and so long for this. Look what happened when you decided to become a warrior. You can go to a wonderful home now. You're going to have your own toys and your own room just as you wanted!"

He shook his head as tears ran down his red cheeks. "But you won't be there..."

My heart broke in two and I let my tears slowly roll down my cheeks. I couldn't help but chuckle and bring him in for a tight hug. He held onto me as if it would be the last time. It was not. We both grew up on that day and let go of insecurities. We both learned that strength was found in delicate hearts that knew how to walk away. Strength was found in the hope of seeing each other again.

I still often visit him. Every time I go to his home, I can finally see the god my parents are so faithful to. He does exist because I get to see his worn face turn bright. I was able to change his story. I rewrote his future by just believing and trusting.

That's why I take a deep breath now and get ready for my big speech. I look over my notes as I stand behind the stage. Over twenty different companies and businesses are here today to support our humble cause. All I want is for them to see past these pretty decorations and tables. I want them to see past my speech and the stage. They will find thousands of children praying up to the empty skies for a miracle.

May we give them hope for that little miracle...

My phone rings and I quickly look at who it is. I leave Lisa's message after I answer Leanne. "Hello?"

"Are you busy?"

"No. Well, I am about to go give my speech. What is it?"

"Oh okay. Everyone!" My eyes grow wide when I hear a lot of voices wishing me luck on my speech. I chuckle and kindly thank these strangers.

"What...Where are you? Who are they?"

"Oh. I'm about to start a surgery, but I wanted to call you to wish you luck before it's too late. An intern is holding my phone on speaker."

I do a small laugh and shake my head with a smile. "Thank you, unnie," I say in Korean now. "I wish you were here..."

She is quiet and I know she must be doing her small smile. "You can do this," she responds in Korean now. "I know you are capable of changing their hearts, too. You were chosen for this position for a reason."

"I just wish I could at least see you in this crowd."

"I am there as I think of you now. You got this!"

"Okay," I say. "Love you, unnie."

"Go and show them what you got, Emma. Let's go out tonight if this patient survives and you don't puke up there."

"Then I'll see you tonight," I say with a laugh. "Good luck with your surgery as well."

"Thank you. Have a good time."

I hang up with a warm smile and a stronger heart. Determination fills my veins as I am led to the side of the stage and I start up the stairs. I lift my chin and look at the many people below ready to hear my words that reflect all those little hearts waiting for hope.

Those twenty minutes pass by in two minutes. I can feel my ears burning from my nerves, but my heart pounds with the confidence I have reserved all this time. I take confident steps across the stage as I continue my presentation and see the many little eyes of those children at the foster homes twinkle like stars tonight as everyone claps at the end of my presentation. I give them a small bow and thank them for listening. I have done my part to convince them that the children are the future. They are the only ones that can change the world's story.

Now I can finally breathe and enjoy the rest of the night. This is my favorite part of my new position. I no longer have to just join the party and try to make connections with other social workers. Now people come to me with questions and to make connections with our company. I walk through the room and greet businessmen and women willing to help our cause and give me a smile that shows how much they appreciate my professionalism. My high heels click against the wooden floor and I push my straightened hair back as I stop at a table to grab a glass of wine.

"Boss!" I hear one of our newer social workers say to me. She comes up to me with a thumbs up and a giddy smile. "You did amazing up there! I got the chills!"

I do a small laugh and give her a small nod. "Thank you. What matters the most is trying to get the funds to support more children and their families."

"With your presentation, I would give all my savings away."

I put a hand on her arm with a laugh. "Well, let's hope that others think like you around here."

"Excuse me?"

I turn at the sound of a male voice. I give an older man a small nod as he stops in front of me with a glass of wine in his hand. "Ms. Nam. It's a pleasure to meet you. I am Jung Daehyun, the CEO of Hope's Heart Co."

I give him a proper bow especially since he bows first. He takes out his business card and hands it to me. My coworker quickly excuses herself and I know she will call over the CEO of our company as well. However, I try to handle this situation myself before he arrives as I smile at Mr. Jung. "Pleasure meeting you as well, Mr. Jung. How are you liking the event? Is there anything I can do for you?"

"I was wondering if there was anything we could do for you!"

I furrow my brows with confusion and he does a soft laugh as he begins to look around the large room. He says under his breath in Korean, "Where did that boy go?"

"Are you looking for your son?" I now say in Korean.

He is surprised that I can speak his language and he gives me a smile that almost reaches his eyes. "Well. No. Not really. He's--"

"Mr. Jung!"

My boss comes up to us with his laugh and welcoming smile. Mr. Jung makes his smile smaller as we are interrupted and gives my boss a small nod. "Hello, sir. You must be--"

"I'm the CEO of this foster care company. How can I help you? Is Ms. Nam scaring you already?"

He laughs and I hold back my tongue from giving him my share of thoughts. But I only do a tight smile and keep my head up instead. Mr. Jung clears his throat when he notices the bitter joke and says, "I wanted to discuss a business proposal with her. I think joining forces will do well for the American community."

My boss nods and says, "How about we discuss this together tomorrow? I think this is a matter for people our level only, don't you think?"

I can feel my grip tighten around my glass of wine and Mr. Jung also gets uncomfortable by his passive aggressive words. But he puts his glass of wine on the table and puts his hands in his pockets with a firm expression. "I would actually like to have Ms. Namm at the meeting since I will be having my second hand with me during the meeting as well. Please contact us as soon as you are available. I believe you will not regret having a chat with us."

He gives my stunned boss his business card and gives him a firm nod before walking off. I'm also surprised by his words but I do a quiet scoff.

It's good to know that there are still people out there who can see the importance of the little hearts trying to shine brighter.

"I like them," I say as I take a sip of my wine.

My boss does a humph and says, "We'll see if their proposal is as confident as their attitude. We'll have the meeting this Friday morning. Make sure to clear your schedule."

He leaves with an annoyed look and I only watch him leave with a smirk. It's people with a humble heart that will be able to see a child's true heart and that's the kind of partner worthy of listening to.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.9M 916K 49
[BOOK ONE] [Completed] [Voted #1 Best Action Story in the 2019 Fiction Awards] Liam Luciano is one of the most feared men in all the world. At the yo...
1.7M 17.4K 3
*Wattys 2018 Winner / Hidden Gems* CREATE YOUR OWN MR. RIGHT Weeks before Valentine's, seventeen-year-old Kate Lapuz goes through her first ever br...
3.9M 159K 69
Highest rank: #1 in Teen-Fiction and sci-fi romance, #1 mindreader, #2 humor Aaron's special power might just be the coolest- or scariest- thing ever...
4.8M 254K 34
Those who were taken... They never came back, dragged beneath the waves never to return. Their haunting screams were a symbol of their horrific death...