Old-Fashioned, or Another Sto...

Bởi Annawritingbooks1

Greg is an unsuccessful London-based make up artist. When he receives a chance to work at the All Saints wedd... Xem Thêm

Chapter 1. The manor's gate is opened for the guest, the owner, and the party
Chapter 2. The party is prepared and the murder takes place
Chapter 3. The police starts investigation, and the ghost joins the party
Chapter 4. The police stops investigation and ghosts insist
Chapter 6. The wedding planner is satisfied and the late roses are cut
Chapter 7. The fireplace is started and the team is formed
Part 8. Charlotte takes action and the first night together occurs
Chapter 9. The night passes and Wilkins enters the manor
Chapter 10. The venue is closed and Cinderella loses a sneaker
Chapter 11. The lunch is eaten and the next move is appreciated
Chapter 12. Belongings are collected, and the breakfast is shared
Chapter 13. Wilkins is surprised and coffee is wasted
Chapter 14. Past encounters present and punches are exchanged
Chapter 15. Wilkins learns about the ghosts and Greg receives an invitation
Chapter 16. Coffee appears at breakfast and the social heath care is tested
Chapter 17. Monty arrives and Greg is late
Chapter 18. The theatre season is boring and tiramisu wins over crocodiles
Chapter 19. Memory is awake and the blood is shed
Chapter 20. The battle is lost and Wilkins' squad comes to rescue
Chapter 21. Wounds are bended and Latin enters the game
Chapter 22. Cappuccino meets black and confessions are made
Chapter 23. The nightmare is scary and the aunt is not
Chapter 24. Ballet is mentioned and the auntie takes care of the ring
Chapter 25. Greg plans to study and the tree house uncovers a treasure
Chapter 26. Relations are restored and Friday is close
Part 27. The poor joke is made and the Saville Row is suggested
Chapter 28. Angry Birds return to London, and Greg makes a move

Chapter 5. The first cup of tea is finished and the first kiss takes place

6 2 0
Bởi Annawritingbooks1

***

"I-I'll bring paper towels."

"If you wish. I believe they are in the kitchen either. So we ought to get there anyway."

Greg continued watching James, the real, flesh-and-bone James, with no attempt to move. So James had to take him at the elbow directing towards the kitchen again.   

"I am not crazy, I swear." Greg was watching the owner of the house bringing the kettle to boil. He should have helped, but he still didn't fully trust his knees. So he remained seated trying to hide Batman socks under the chair. James was wearing... a leisure suit. No less. "Are you lord Blacke? And... how do you know my last name?" 

He wanted to ask if he really sleeps in this suit. There is the special bond between people who are walking around the haunted house at 3 am.

"We both are insane, in this case" James smiled and placed a cup of milked tea in front of the shaking young man. Who hid the Batman socks even further. James guessed he felt uneasy in them. Well, he would too, but at least they suited the Scottish lad.

"I was told you name by the manager, nothing mysterious here."

"Were you also... sleepless?"

"I'm afraid I cannot quite answer that, Mr Bay, because I do not recall my way from my bedroom into the hall." James took his own cup and made a small sip. "Have you seen the man in the armchair earlier before?"

"You say it like it's normal shite to see... oh, sorry."

"Well, I believe, in our case the concept of normal might be extended to the certain limits." Lord Blacke smiled reassuringly and put a biscuit box on the table. "I wonder why you keep seeing him. Are you connected to the family?" 

Greg chuckled making a sip. "Doubt it. Otherwise somebody from the family travelled near the Aberdeen and had a love affair with a pastor's daughter accidentally." He blinked. "I mean... sorry."

He was cold again, although it was not cold here.

Then, he put the cup back and took it again by the handle.

"It is quite possible. I could not think of any reason apart from the bloodline to explain your case, Mr Bay."

"Call me Greg, please. My granddad calls me Mr Bay, and he's also a pastor, along with my dad. Too much of bliss in one family, really."

"I see. Might cause a great deal of the problem."

"Not as much as you have here." Greg suddenly glanced at James with panicking eyes. "You didn't arrived because of me, did you? I mean... you are not going to shut down tomm's wedd?!" He almost leaned over the table to the man. "Please, don't, I barely kept my job after that another lad from the armchair, I mean, your grandfather! Is this because of him you want to close up the venue?.."

"Of course, I'm not shutting down the wedding, what are you talking about? I gave my word, and believe me, Gregory, I am a man of my word. I wouldn't wish to close the venue after them as well and shall be happy upon educative visitings. But this is a family home, young man, not a... venue. I hope you understand."

"I... I'm sorry. Why is he...why is old lord Blacke still here anyway?"

"I wonder myself. I was as surprised to find out as you are. But we both seem to be the only ones who can see him, so I honestly guess it has something to do with you as well."

"You look... like him. It is creepy. A bit." Greg lowered his gaze.

"We shouldn't be afraid of ghosts, dear Gregory, but pity them. They are nothing but shadows fading away in the fog, lost on the way we are all yet to know." James put down the empty cup and smiled a little. "We should both go and try our best to get some sleep."

"Ah...oh, yes. I mean, sure...m..."

James raised his brow and handed him a whole jar of biscuits.

"This reminds me, I was wondering if the Green bedroom was still there. I'd take some book for an evening read. I believe, it was close to your premises here. Do you mind me accompanying you?"

Greg seemed relived and nodded, so James's guess was right. He was scared to return alone. He was also right not to mention a door that closed silently behind their backs.

"Can you... can you talk to him? Old lord Blacke?"

They were in the middle of the main stairs, and lights were off, and the deep twilights were covering the surroundings, making them to appear differently. From time to time Greg was not sure whether the two of them were still in the same building with the flower containers and plastic bats, or... the same building but different time. The box in his hands was a weak anchor. The tall man speaking like in a movie walking near him was... a strong one. 

If he was still the right man. 

Greg didn't think much when increased the steps bumping into lord James carefully, just enough to hold on his forearm slightly. 

"Sorry." He would manage accent better any other time. "I-I noticed something in the shadows. A mouse, maybe."

"Oh. It is certainly possible. The house needs renovation."

"It's perfect." The answer came immediately, without making up. "In the daylight even better. But..." Greg shrugged uneasily. "But 'd be even better after renovation."

"Thank you."

The forearm wasn't taken from him. Greg's fingers were shivering a bit and he did his best not to lean on the supporting hand.

None of his boyfriends ever walked with him in such an old-fashioned manner.
Why'd they, though?! They haven't been even in the college. "Have you been at some boarding school?"

James raised his brows. Greg just felt time slipping through his fingers, time till his room for that night. The first time he'd think he could use a bit more stretched time for once.

"Indeed, I was. Why are you asking?"

"You speak like you're reading from Shakespeare. Are you going to... live here, in the house?"

"In summer, possibly. It seems to be quite a remote spot to get to when the weather is not so welcoming."

"Depends on your definition of welcoming." Gregory let out a silent laugh. James smiled - and they both had to stop, watching the dark figure on the other side of the corridor.

James was holding a candle, watching the dark figure on the other side. He was sure, his face was visible and he must have looked pretty sad, judging by the look in her eyes. In fact he was not sure at all if that was her. He made a step closer, trying to reach out and touch her face. Did he meet her finally? But how could he forget?

"Charlotte?" he whispered, his lips making no sound.

Her eyes turned into the garden fog again, and he got lost.

James blinked and looked at Gregory, holding desperately to his hand caressing his cheek. He was saying something but it took him a while to start hearing the words.

"Oh, excuse me. That was not quite... intentional." He lowered his hand slowly, looking around. Gregory gulped.

"It-it's... fine. Don't... it's fine, really." Well, it was fine. It was more than fine, and not just this. But not with the man's eyes turning greyish blind, like some fog accidentally spilled in them. "Are you, um, do you feel well? You seemed... distracted."

Lord James frowned for a moment, then shook his head. "Did I? That is certainly possible. I had a rather long journey earlier this day, and might use some sleep. You stay here, I believe? Well, thank you for your company, my dear Gregory. I enjoyed our conversation greatly."

"Aye, me too. I mean, yes, a lot. Thank you. And for seeing me off." Greg stepped in the room, now lit up and even welcoming with the huge soft bed. And turns back next moment. "Thank you, I mean it. I... it's an honour for me. You promise you'll be fine... too? On your way back?"

Now he appeared to surprise his companion. "Be assured that I would. It is my house, after all."

Right, Greg sniffed silently. House is yours, but how 'bout your head? "Do you promise?" 

Lord James raised his brows. Greg'd never be able to speak to him like this in the daylight. Christ, they'd never meet in the daylight, really! 

But there was still that night for ghosts to walk around. And two of them sharing one ghost story. So he waited demanding the promise.

"I give you my word."

"Fine then. Well. Good night... I guess?"

"Have a good night, Gregory." James smiled slightly. He might be smiling like this before kissing some lucky bastard. Or lucky bitch, doesn't matter.

The door was between them, like in the worst paper-covered romance possible.

It might have been a dream, Greg decided, falling asleep peacefully soon enough.
And even if so, he had it.

A few drafts of the man standing near the window with the cup, and the same man sitting near the fireplace, and playing with the dog in the rose garden, were hidden among other album studies left on the table near the window. 

***

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

24K 2.1K 41
Shepherd had run all his life. Constant, unabating movement that consumed him. It was relentless, be it the demons within his own mind or external pu...
317K 26.3K 68
"It's true what they say about you, isn't it? You really did sip tea and smile as you watched humanity fall apart." "Nope," he said. "I sipped whiske...
783 41 1
Nick gets the chance to move to a small town away from the city he grew up in. He finds a massive, dilapidated Victorian home and buys it to fix it u...
89.5K 2.9K 44
When two lovers' best friends meet for the first time... lots of feelings can rise. Attraction, confusion, lust... love? Will they be able to overcom...