No More Tomorrows

Door AllThePages

What happens when you realise the man who owns your heart no longer treasures it? The man you fell in love wi... Meer

Copyright Notice
Chapter 1: Forgotten
Chapter 2: Decision Made
Chapter 3: Doors and Dancers
Chapter 4: Team Bonding
Chapter 5: Gentleman Behaviour
Chapter 6: Roxy the Redhead
Chapter 7: Bess to the Rescue
Chapter 8: Use Me
Chapter 9: Bosses and Back Rooms
Chapter 10: Let's Do This!
Chapter 11: Choices
Chapter 12: Ruffles and Rhythm
Chapter 13: Heaving
Chapter 14: Waiting and letting go
Chapter: 15 Apples and their Aftermath
Chapter 16: Another life
Chapter 17: Quesadillas and Questions
Chapter 18: Holding Tight
Chapter 19: Once is Enough
Chapter 20: Regrets
Chapter 21: Truths and Consequences
Chapter 22: Long Time No Talk
Chapter 23: Parking Garages and Profanities
Chapter 24: Brunch and Blow Ups
Chapter 25: Payouts and Departures
Chapter 26: Hello and Goodbye
Chapter 27: Fancy Seeing You Here
Chapter 28: Hugs and Hostility
Chapter 29: Angel and her Devil
Chapter 30: Tiramisu and Tales
Chapter 31: Promises and Pajamas
Chapter 32: I'd quit
Chapter 33: Enough!
Chapter 35: Meant for each other
Epilogue: Aidan POV
Bonus Epilogue: Grant POV
What's Next

Chapter 34: She's Awake

11.7K 295 62
Door AllThePages

I didn't think I'd get a wink of sleep with worry about Beth but my adrenalin had obviously run out and I didn't open my eyes until the first rays of the sun were peeking through the hospital window.

I was warm and comfortable and I hated it. Mattia had obviously repositioned me during the night because I was currently rested against his body with his large arm holding me tight and my right leg held firmly across his stomach. This was his preferred sleeping position and I hated how well we fit together in sleep. If only that was true once we were awake.

Not wanting him to think I was comfortable in this position I gave him a shove and he immediately woke up. He'd always been a light sleeper so I knew it wouldn't take much.

"You need to let me go. If I haven't already made myself clear I do not want your hands on me and I need to use the bathroom then check on my daughter. So move."

Instead of moving like I asked he curled me tighter into his body and nuzzled my hair before kissing the side of my head. He kissed my fucking head. How dare he!

"I'm trying to be quiet because Bethany is sleeping but if you don't let me up right this minute I will scream, and I know you're going to say you'll have me kicked out of the room, but trust me when I say that if you do that I will ensure every news agency and federal agency in the country learns all your dirty secrets. You forget I grew up in the same life as you. I know exactly where all the bodies are and what the bank account numbers are too."

I think I shocked him with my words, nobody threatened Mattia. I felt his body stiffen at my threat and his hands released me. I quickly clambered over him but stopped before I entered the bathroom to drive my point home.

"You were so busy in your important life back in Nevada during our marriage that you didn't notice me. While you were neglecting me I don't think you realise how many times I heard you and your father openly discussing business. Heard what you had to say and filed that information away for a rainy day." I tapped my temple to make sure he understood I still remembered everything. "So don't threaten me again with regards to my daughter. The only way you'll get me away from her is to kill me. So if that's your plan do it now so I don't have to look at your face. Otherwise shut the fuck up and let me get ready for my day."

I knew he wouldn't take my disrespect well and before I could get the bathroom door open he hauled me against his chest.

"Do not think because you are my chosen one you can speak to me this way . I have killed for far less of an insult Angelique. You need to remember your place."

I could feel how angry he was with me by the tension vibrating through his body, yet his hold on my arms remained firm but not painful. I wondered if what I'd said would make him snap and lay his hands on me. I knew plenty of men who would have responded with violence to my statement.

"Don't make it so I feel the need to threaten you and we can co-exist. If you're going to force me home with you to that hell hole then I need you to understand I'm not the same girl who left. I have no more illusions about our marriage and would prefer that we find a way to live peacefully together for Bethany's sake. I will stay out of your life and you will stay out of mine. We can live separate lives. There are things we need to discuss about our daughter's future but that can wait. What can't wait is you thinking you can threaten to take her from me. She is the only thing that matters in my life, and if you try to take her from me you better kill me, because if you don't I'll definitely end your life."

With that I pushed myself away from his chest and he allowed it. I quickly closed and locked the bathroom door. I took my time showering and getting ready for the day. Having no interest in spending any more time in his presence than I needed to, I dawdled in the bathroom until there was a sharp knock on the door.

"Angelique you need to come quickly. She's waking up. Angel come now."

I felt my heart leap and I rushed from the room. Reaching her bedside I could see that my little girl was indeed opening her eyes. They were fluttering open and closed at a rapid rate.

"Bethany. Baby mummy's here. Can you open your eyes for me my little sweat pea. Can you show mummy your beautiful green eyes. Come on little one."

After some tense moments where I thought she'd fall back to sleep her eyes finally focused on me and I felt tears pour from my own eyes. She was awake and looking at me. When they took her away to surgery I worried I'd never see those eyes again.

I felt Mattia step to my side and pull me into his arms and overcome with emotion I didn't push him away. I leaned against him for the extra strength needed to stay upright while I stared at my daughter's beautiful face. My legs felt like they wanted to give out. I realised that Mattia had gotten changed while I was in the bathroom and was now dressed in a sweater and jeans. I rarely saw him in such casual clothes and it was jarring.

"Mummy why are you crying? Only weak girls cry. We're not weak."

At the sound of her voice I felt my cries turn into sobs and Mattia held me even tighter.

"Mummy who's that man and why is he hugging you? Let her go so she can give me cuddles. She's my mummy and she doesn't need cuddles from you, my cuddles make her happy! Who are you Mister?"

I felt myself chuckle at her questions and found him staring at her with his own tears coming from his eyes. I didn't know how to feel in this moment and for once had nothing to say. After clearing his throat he answered her.

"Hello my little sweet pea. Seeing her confusion at his use of Italian he switched to English. "Hello my little sweet pea, I am your father Mattia and I'm holding your mummy because she needs a hug right now. You gave us both a big scare."

She frowned at him.

"You're not my father. My daddy is dead. I've got his photo in my room from mummy's wedding day. Mummy said he died when I was five and it broke her heart so bad. She gave me the diamond rings he gave her at the church. Said they made her too sad to wear them. I think that's why she doesn't have any new husbands like Annabel's mummy who has already had two! Even when I asked for a new daddy for my birthday she said no. If you're my daddy why are you not dead? Did you lie to my mummy?"

I felt his body go stiff at her questions and worried how he would respond.

"Some people told some lies and hid you and your mummy from me." I struggled to get out of his hold but he only held me tighter. "And now that I've found you both again I'm never letting you go."

Bethany was looking from Mattia to me, trying to decide if he was telling the truth.

"If you're my daddy then what is my birthday? A daddy would know that."

He gave her an indulgent smile and released me to pick up one of her small hands.

"You were born March 27th. It was a Sunday and it was raining so hard my plane was delayed and I almost missed your birth because you came a little early and I was away. Your mummy was so brave and strong. I have never been so proud of someone in my whole life."

Her frown got even deeper because that matched the story I'd told her about the day she was born. Apart from my wedding photo I'd taken only one other when I fled the house in Nevada. It was a photo of her as a tiny baby snuggled in my arms as Mattia held us both. It was taken in the hospital by one of the nurses and it hurt so badly to look at it that I never got it out of the hiding place in my safe. It brought up too many sad memories I couldn't bear it.

"Okay then. You can be my daddy but you need to make mummy stop crying. She never cries and I don't like it. And you need to get me a juice. I'm thirsty."

With that announcement which made us both smile, we were interrupted by a knocking on the door before Emily and Aidan made their way inside. Mattia immediately stiffened. I didn't care. I was so glad to see my friends and show them that Bethany was awake.

"Bethany! My favourite ninja princess is awake!" Emily rushed to her bedside and leaned in to give her a gentle hug.

"Have you let them know she's woken up? They'll want to check her over." She'd slipped into nurse mode and I couldn't help but smile. It was Mattia who answered her.

"She only just woke. I will go and inform the nurses to fetch the doctor while I make some phone calls." Turning to me he gave me a long look that I couldn't interpret before speaking again. "You need to say your goodbyes to your friends Angel. I need to be on the way back to Nevada by nightfall if Bethany is cleared for travel."

I saw both Emily and Aidan bristle at his statement. Aidan took two steps closer to where Emily and I were standing.

"You don't have to go anywhere with him Bess. He can't make you." Mattia couldn't help his wince at that name before he turned his stare to Aidan.

"My wife and daughter will be coming home with me. It's of no concern to you where she goes. Don't make this unpleasant. I'm warning you."

He was choosing his words carefully because of Bethany but the tension in the room was palpable and she was looking between all the faces. Three of them she loved and one she didn't know but was clearly intrigued by.

"Aidan is telling the truth Mister. You can't make my mummy do anything. Nobody bosses my mum. She's the boss. Not you. If you want to be my daddy then you need to be nice to her or I won't love you!" Bethany was getting worked up and I didn't think that was good so soon after waking from her surgery.

"That's enough! Everyone needs to quiet down. Mattia go and let them know she's awake. Aidan I love you but please settle down." I saw Mattia pause in his steps to towards the door and turn to glare at me. I'd said it without thinking but he'd obviously taken it a whole different way. Emily stepped into the breech.

"They really do need to know she's awake." She turned and tucked some hair behind Beth's ear. "I'll get you some ice chips sweet pea because I'm not sure if you're allowed a drink yet and I'm sure you're super thirsty after your big sleep."

Mattia continued to glare at me before switching his look to Aidan. To his credit he didn't cower under the look like most men would. He returned it with one of his own.

There was too much big dick energy in this room right now and the focus needed to be on my daughter and her recovery.

"Go Mattia. She needs to see the doctor to ensure all is good. You're the one who is in such a hurry to return to Nevada. That's not happening until she's cleared soooo...." I gave him a shooing motion with my hand and his glare intensified.

Nobody shooed Mattia. Nobody.

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

594 81 37
Forgiveness is more than saying I forgive you! It's complete and total willingness to say no matter what you have done there is always redemption for...
1.3M 31.6K 38
Esme Things can become clear in a second. When I found Tanner in his office with that woman, so many things became obvious. Tanner's always held hims...
16.9K 297 52
Love...... The word tasted weird on my tongue Love makes a person stupid. Believe me when I say Love is blind, because I've been there before ***** "...
1.3M 51.4K 47
My life should be great. I have an amazing job with one of the biggest event management companies around, and I have a wonderful boyfriend. Oh wait...