๐€๐ฆ๐ž๐ซ๐ข๐œ๐š๐ง ๐–๐ž๐๐๐ข๐ง...

By gracessecretshelby

- ๐ˆ๐ง ๐ฐ๐ก๐ข๐œ๐ก Madeline Lee finds herself forced into the once thing she swore she'd never do: marriage or... More

๐ˆ๐ง๐ญ๐ซ๐จ๐๐ฎ๐œ๐ญ๐ข๐จ๐ง
๐๐ซ๐จ๐ฅ๐จ๐ ๐ฎ๐ž
๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ
๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ
๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ‘
๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ’
๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ“
๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ•
-๐€๐‚๐“ ๐Ÿ-
๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ–
๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ—
๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ
๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ
๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ

๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ”

3.3K 121 15
By gracessecretshelby

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟔

"Madeline, love, get them books and put them in Johns office would you?" Polly asked as she rushed around the busy den. Maddie took the stack of books and carried them into the dimly lit office, placing them on the desk.

"What are they?" John asked, not looking up from what he was doing. Maddie took a deep breath and shrugged. "Polly said to bring them in."

"You can go back to the house." He offered. "We'll be closing up the shop soon— Katie will probably like to see you before she goes to bed." He said, finally looking up. Madeline gave him a nod and spun on her heels and grabbing her coat on the way out.

"And where are you off too?" Polly asked when Maddie walked past her.

She stopped awkwardly and swallowed. "John said i could go home— said you'd be closing up soon. He wants me to check on Katie." Madeline said, trying to remain calm despite the intimidation that poured off Polly.

"He's got a bloody nanny for christ sake." She scoffed, clamming a book closed and putting down her cigarette. "Go on then, don't just stand there. Go home."

Madeline nodded quickly and practically ran out the house, Polly's tone making her feel like she'd done something wrong.

"For christ's sake, Pol. Take it easy on her, yeah?" John shouted from the office. Polly rolled her eyes and pulled back the curtain to watch the girl.

She couldn't have gotten to the house any quicker than she did.

"Mr Shelby is that you?" Maria called out from the living room.

Madeline made an appearance in the room and gave her a friendly smile, "it's me— how's Katie?" She asked, looking toward the girl that was sitting on the floor and playing with an old doll.

Maria also looked at Katie. "She's hungry. I'm sorry Mrs Shelby— i've been unable to make her food. Katie has just had me so occupied with keeping her calm. She's been in a bad mood you see-"

Madeline shook her head to stop Maria from talking. "Don't worry, i'll sort something." There was a visible relaxation in Maria from Madeline's words.

"Did you hear that, Katie? Mrs Shelby is going to make you some dinner." Maria whispered to Katie, joining her on the floor. Madeline tried her best to prepare a meal that would somewhat appeal to the child.

"Do you know when dads going to be home?" Katie asked, accepting the plate from Madeline. She took a deep breath. "Hopefully soon."

"Do you like my dad?" Katie asked, clearly oblivious to what type of question she was asking. Madeline dismissed Maria with a nod before sitting on the couch opposite Katie. "Of course i like him. He's a nice man."

"No, silly." Katie shook her head, "do you like him."

"Well.." The girl had made Maddie think for a moment. "I'm sure— no i'm certain he's a nice person. He's different from your uncles. I can see it in his eyes."

"He likes you. I know he does."

"And how do you know that?" She was now intrigued. Katie had a large grin on her face. "Well, with the last one— Lizzie i think she was called. She spent a lot of time with dad but then she stopped coming round. I heard dad crying to uncle Tommy about it all. He's not cried about you— he must like ya. Because i've heard him saying good things to Tommy. He wasn't crying this time."

"How old are you, Katie?"

Katie looked down at her fingers and began counting. "I'm almost six." She held up her fingers.

Madeline smiled at the girl slightly and shook her head. "Well i think you're the smartest six year old i've ever met." She raised her eyebrows.

Katie grinned proudly and continued eating. "Are you going to stay?" She asked. Maddie tilted her head. "What d'ya mean, Katie?" Madeline asked, using her fingers to push Katie's hair away from her face.

The young girl focused on her food. "It's just, i want to see dad happy." She said, humming. "And i think if you stay, he will be very happy."

Madeline listened to the girls words carefully and pursed her lips into a straight line. To change the subject, she took Katie's empty place and stood.

"You go and get ready for bed— i'll be in to say goodnight in a moment." Madeline said quietly, placing the plate beside the sink.

Katie nodded in agreement and skipped off to her bedroom, leaving Madeline alone in the kitchen. She placed her fingers on her lips for a moment, thinking.

She glanced at the clock and began wondering when John would come home.

Deciding to shake it off, Madeline did as she said and went to say goodnight to Katie. And to her surprise, she was somehow already asleep and tucked into bed.

Maddie smiled slightly and walked into her and John's bedroom, tilting her head when she saw two piles of clothes. "Maria?" She shouted, "what's all this?"

Maria appeared and took a breath. "Mr Shelby had them dropped off earlier today— night clothes and day clothes." She told her. Madeline smiled slightly and thanked her with a nod.

Her hands trailed over the light blue fabric that had lace lining the top.

Madeline heard the door slam and quickly turned around to see who'd come trailing from the house — which was stupid because it could only be John.

"Mads?" He called out, hanging his jacket up. Mads. She peered her head around the door. John smiled at her slightly, "you're still awake?"

"Yeah— Katie's only just gone to sleep." She told him. John hummed and walked to her, carefully cupping her cheeks before placing a kiss on her lips.

She wanted to pull away and ask 'what on earth are you doing?' because it felt so strange for him to do that. Yes they were married but it wasn't often he'd kiss her— especially on the lips.

Madeline could taste the alcohol on his lips.

John pulled his head back and gave her a messy smile. "You look fucking gorgeous— you do, you look gorgeous!" He slurred his words, his eyebrows raised as he spoke.

Maddie laughed at him and tried to pull away.

"Ey, where ya going?" John's voice went high pitched as he kept hold of her. "No no, come on. Come 'ere." He took a breath, "come on, come here." She could hardly understand him.

John pressed a finger to her shoulder and dragged it slowly up to the back of her neck, holding her close. "You're drunk," Madeline whispered, feeling his breath against her skin as her heart pounded.

John stared into her eyes and swallowed hard. "Maybe, but you're still fucking beautiful." He whispered back, leaning his forehead against hers.

The moment had somewhat sobered him up slightly and they just stood staring at each other for a few seconds. John let out a breath of frustration and picked her up, his hands gripping the backs of her thighs.

She gasped and held onto his shoulders. "John— John what are you doing? You're going to drop me!" She whisper-shouted. John laughed into her shoulder.

"I'd never do such a thing."

He gently placed her on the bed hovered over her. John had suddenly grown nervous which caused Madeline to panic slightly. "Are you okay?" She asked, her hand on his chest.

John nodded slowly and moved her hair from her face. The room was dead silent when he slowly trailed his hand down to her dress, trailing it back up. His fingers grazed against her legs, lifting the fabric slightly.

He looked at her and she nodded, biting her tongue.

John kissed her quickly. One hand supported him whilst he unbuttoned his pants, Madeline unbuttoning his dress shirt. Not once did either of them break the kiss.

John looked at her one more time and she nodded. He closed his eyes and she gasped quietly. Her arms were looped under his, her hands on his bare back.

"Are you okay?" He asked. Madeline hummed into his shoulder.

He began peppering small kisses along her collarbone.

-

John walked around the table, ruffling Katie's hair lightly, pinching one of her strawberries before going to the other side and kissing the side of Maddie's cheek.

"Dad!" Katie whined, "that was mine." She added. John grinned and swallowed the strawberry. "D'ya want it back?" He asked.

Katie scowled at him and cross her arms. Maddie laughed and took one of the strawberries on her own plate and gave it to the girl.

"This is why you're my favourite!" Katie whispered across the table.

John raised his eyebrows and poked his daughter in the side. "I heard that." John said. Katie shoved his hand away. "You weren't supposed to not hear it." She teased.

He shook his head and threw the remains of the fruit into the bin before grabbing his coat. "I'm off somewhere with Arthur today then later on i think we're going to Garrison. You're coming too," he said, fixing the collar of his coat.

Maddie nodded in agreement and placed the plate beside the sink.

"See ya in a bit. Oh, and Maria will take Katie to school. If i ain't back in time, d'ya mind picking her up?" John asked. Madeline nodded in agreement and walked with him to the door.

John gave her a tormenting smirk as he left, leaving her at the door whilst she watched him walk away.

-

A sigh left Maddie's mouth when she checked the timepiece in her pocket. She didn't wait any longer to see if John would return, she just left the house, ensuring to lock up before walking down to where she believed Katie's school was.

Her heels made a clicking noise as she walked along to cobble. There was a strange feeling in the air. It was cold. But Maddie looked around and there were children running around in shorts and under shirts, the sun was shining.

She shrugged and walked through the gates of Katie's school.

Time moved a lot slower than she'd hoped but finally, Katie skipped away from her classroom with her bag in hand. "Hello!" She greeted.

Maddie smiled down at the girl and took her bag. "Hello, Katie. How was school?" She asked, gently taking the girls hand and leading her away from the school building.

Katie shrugged. "Boring. We did some maths— i don't like maths."

Madeline chuckled at her words and looked out at Garrison Lane, her eyes landing on a man who leaned against the wall of the Garrison.

A certain feeling washed over her when she felt she recognised him. But from where? He had blue eyes like her brother Theo, his hair was dark. He had noticed her walking and kept his eyes on her.

She looked away quickly and took Katie toward Polly's home in hopes that the man wasn't going to be any trouble.

"Go on, go sit in the kitchen." Maddie ushered the small girl into the room and walked through to where everyone seemed to be gathered, around the dining table.

"Oh— I apologise," she said quickly, stepping away from the room. John peered at her from over his shoulder and shook his head, telling her to come in. She clasped her hands behind her back and stepped next to him.

John quickly threw his arm around her shoulders.

"Thank you, you're a good boy," the man who sat at the table spoke, accepting a plate of food off Arthur.

Madeline looked around in confusion but said nothing.

"Bless thee, Father, for these bounties we are about to receive." He muttered to himself. "Jesus christ." Polly sighed, looking away. "Please, woman, not in vain." He excused.

"Finish your sandwich and sling your hook," Polly stared at him. "Pollyanna, i'm the guest of the head of this family." He retorted.

"The head of the family ain't here." John corrected, "Tommy-" Arthur whispered. "He sometimes helps me with..with business, Dad."

Dad. He was their father. Somebody who John was yet to mention to his new wife. Not that it bothered her, clearly his father was a skeleton he wanted to keep in the wardrobe.

The older man had finally laid his eyes on Maddie and it was almost as though there was a story waiting to be told within the look he gave her. Shivers climbed up her spine. Something wasn't right.

"I hear your father is back in town?" He asked her. She tilted her head, confused at how he knew her father and with the fact her father was quite literally dead.

"Excuse me?" She asked, "my father's dead."

John pulled her closer despite it being almost impossible to do so. "Don't talk to her." He hissed. His father looked at him with raised eyebrows and sighed. "Forgive me, young one. I must be mistaken." He said.

John cringed when he called Maddie young one.

The door opened, Tommy entering seconds later, causing the whole room to fall silent.

"Aye well, speak of the devil," Everyone looked at him. Tommy looked as though he had seen a ghost, looking at the older man. "How are you son?"

"Get out." He said bluntly. "Come on, son," Arthur Senior tilted his head, "i'm a changed man." He raised his arms in the air.

"This family needed you ten years ago. And you walked out on us. Not now." Tommy said lowly.

"Tommy, he's different." Arthur pleaded, staring at the table. "Shut up." Tommy spat.

"It's all right son, Arthur Shelby never stays where he's not welcome." he picked up his coat from the chair. "Quite something you've become." he nodded to Tommy. "Bye son." he ruffled Finn's hair.

Finn's head followed his dad who was walking away. John pulled his shoulder back.

"He's our dad," Arthur whisper. Tommy scoffed. "He's a selfish bastard."

"You calling someone a selfish bastard?" Arthur asked. "that's a bit rich Tommy. I mean, thanks to you, we're already down a bloody sister." he said, referring to Ada who was yet to return home after what happened to Freddie.

"You want to see him Arthur? You want to see him?" Tom pointed at the door. "You go with him,"

Arthur got out of his chair, walking to the door, slamming it behind him.

Maddie looked at the floor, unable to shake the uneasy feeling that had overcame her. "How did he know my father?" She looked up at John.

"Our family and the Lee's have had history for years, love." Polly said quickly. "You can ask Johnny Dogs, he'll tell you all about it."

But there was more to it, there had to be.

"Katie is waiting for me." She quickly slipped from under John's arm and went to the girl who'd been sat in the kitchen. "Can we go home?" She asked, kicking her feet back and forth.

Madeline tucked her own hair behind her ears and nodded quickly. "Go tell your dad that we'll meet him back at the house, yeah?"

Katie nodded and rushed off to the other room, returning seconds later. "He's coming with," she said, leaning on her tip-toes to reach her coat from the hook.

John muttered a few things when walking out of the dining room and let out a breath. "Come on then," he sighed, placing a hand on Katie's back and walking to the door.

He kept close to Madeline despite it being a short walk over to the house. She held his arm and kept racking her brain about the man at the Garrison. Who was he?

"Are we still going over to the Garrison later?" Madeline asked. John closed the door over and nodded, "I think so yeah? Why d'ya ask?"

She shrugged. "Just curious."

"If there's something on your mind, you can talk to me, Mads." He assured her. She shook her head quickly. "Nothing to talk about." She said bluntly. John didn't argue. Instead he scooped Katie up and poked her sides causing loud laughs to fall from her mouth.

"Dad— stop that!" She squealed, "Dad i'm telling you!" Her laughs were continuous. John smiled happily and continued poking her, putting her down on the couch after a while. "Tell me, my girl, how was ya day at school?" He sat beside her.

Katie rolled her eyes at the boring question and groaned. "Just as rubbish as your hair."

John stopped talking and gasped. Even Madeline was stunned at the girls harsh comment. "Take that back!" John said, secretly hurt by her insult. Katie shook her head with a grin, resulting in John shoving his Peaky cap back onto his head. "That wasn't nice, Katie."

Katie stuck her tongue out at him and grinned. "At least I have nice hair," she tormented.

John looked at Madeline with an open mouth, hoping she would defend him. But instead she stood with a hand over her mouth, trying not to laugh too much.

"Oh go on then, laugh at me." John threw his arms into the air dramatically. "The pair of you are just being nasty! Wait till I tell Aunt Pol!" He was clearly trying to torment Katie rather than act like a literal child.

"Aunt Pol would believe me over you, anyway." Katie whispered. John bit his tongue and threw his head back. "Is it time for bed yet?" He groaned loudly.

Katie and Madeline exchanged a look and just laughed. "You're bloody mental!" Katie retorted, clearly hearing them words from Arthur or John himself. "Bloody mental!" She repeated.

༻♡༺

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

202K 2.3K 70
One shots of y/n. She will be the partner to which ever character for that chapter. Feel free to request. If you want sibling one shots, then check o...
14.3K 363 12
"Esme what if even after we marry we don't fall in love?" Ivy asked again. Her eyes red and cheeks flushed. "You ask to many questions, I don't even...
72K 1.4K 42
Where Matilda Willows and Finn Shelby struggle to make their relationship work. A girl who grew up alongside the Shelby's for years, finds herself ca...