Hydra's shadow

By emsromanova

Natasha Romanoff managed to escape The Red Room years ago and has never looked back on that part of her past... More

Chapter 1: Rooftops
Chapter 2: Clouded Memories
Chapter 3: All Too Familiar Words
Chapter 4: Alone
Chapter 5: Shared Apologies
Chapter 6: Afraid
Chapter 7: A New Home
Chapter 8: Unlikely Comfort
Chapter 9: A Silver Star
Chapter 10: Distractions
Chapter 11: Seventeen
Chapter 12: Confession
Chapter 13: Movie Night
Chapter 15: Use Your Mind
Chapter 16: Odd Numbers
Chapter 17: That Hurt
Chapter 18: Taken
Chapter 19: Pumpkin
Chapter 20: Five

Chapter 14: Truth Hurts

36 2 9
By emsromanova

*NATASHA'S POV*

I felt her stir gently against me as a strand of her hair fell lightly down across her face, resting on the end of her nose. It twitched just as she moved to brush the hair away, her hand placing back softly against my side.

I hadn't closed my eyes even hours after everyone else had left the room, finding comfort in just watching her as she slept. The only sound clear to me was her shallowed breathing, the only movement being the rhythmic rising and falling of her chest as she dreamt.

It had given me time to think, to truly process what had happened in the last few days. Since before Echo came here I'd assumed she was long gone by now, completely controlled by Hydra and Dreykov, just like James had been. I still felt an enormous amount of guilt and shame when I allowed myself to simply brush those kind of thoughts away, it made me out to be the worst possible kind of mother, one to just abandon her daughter and assume the worst whilst doing nothing about it. But the truth had always remained the same, I wanted more than anything to just know that she was okay, that she was alive and well, maybe even happy. I liked to think that she had been rescued after I had escaped, taken in by a family who would care for her and love her like I never could, because I never had the chance to. I longed to hold her again so tightly in my arms and never let her go. I wanted more than anything to go back to The Red Room and look for her, but after escaping I couldn't bring myself to go back, it was a suicide mission. And I couldn't justify risking my life to save my baby when I didn't even know where she was. I told myself I'd look for her when I was older, and had a more stable life with safety and security. The same year I joined S.H.I.E.L.D. I begun my search for her in secret, gathering information as I built my case, clinging to the only memory I had of her, the only thing keeping me going. But I never found her, like I'd always thought The Red Room was impossible to find, Dreykov too. And without him I couldn't find my daughter. I tried every year to look for her, keeping it from everyone as I took days away on an 'undercover mission' every few months if I had a lead. But the outcome was always the same, I had nothing. It was always nothing.

"ты плачешь, что случилось?"
("You're crying, what's wrong?")

I was startled out of my thoughts as her voice reached me, her eyes searching mine, glancing down my face to my cheeks which I could feel had already dried over with random streaks of tears. She raised her hand gently to my face, running the back of her finger along my skin as she wiped away the tear patches from my cheeks. I couldn't help but smile down at her in admiration, for so long I had believed that she would hate me for what happened between us, but here with her now I only felt relief and an overwhelming feeling of happiness, with the cutest little smile gleaming back at me.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Always." I assured, booping her nose gently as she scrunched it, pursing her lips together into that same smile I already adored.

"Do you know who my Papa is?"

Completely taken aback by her question I found myself at a loss for words, as she stared up silently in hope at me. I so badly wanted to give her the answer she was looking for, but the truth was I had no idea who he was, only that he was chosen by Dreykov, and he'd told me that was all I needed to know.

"I'm so sorry малышка (baby girl) but I honestly don't know. Dreykov never told me his name, only that he was genetically altered. That's where you would've inherited your super strength and enhanced abilities from."

"Oh.. that's okay Mama."

I felt a deep gut feeling swell in my stomach as I heard those words. After all this time I wouldn't have been surprised if she'd have lashed out, giving her no information on her past, even though I had none to give.

"How did you keep your heart?"

She simply pointed down to the star necklace that hung in a chain clasped around her neck, rolling the edges of the charm in between her fingers.

"I always held onto the hope that you were out there somewhere, waiting for me, maybe even looking for me. I never gave up hope that one day you would come back into my life, that I'd have my Mama back again. And it worked." she grinned as I pulled her closer to me with my arm wrapped around her.

"I promise you I'm not going anywhere this time. I'll never let you go again." I whispered as I planted a kiss on the top of her head.

She leaned her head firmly against my chest, her arm now straddling across my stomach to my other arm. I didn't dare to move as her eyes fluttered shut, taking her what seemed like a few seconds to fall asleep. As she lay strewn across my chest I too felt my eyes closing, resting my head against the cushion behind me, letting myself drift off to sleep.

————————————⧗————————————

*ECHO'S POV*

"WAKE UPPPPP!"

The sheer sound of the voice hit me like a truck as I jolted awake from my comfy sleeping position, Mama beside me jumping up in reflex too.

"чертов мудак." I heard Mama mutter under her breath in annoyance as she pushed Tony to the side, still grinning from his surprise attack he seemed to find hilarious.

I sniggered at her speech as his grin turned to a frown.

"Hey kid what'd she just call me?"

I simply walked right past him following Mama into the kitchen and taking a seat at the dining table.

"Natasha what did you just call me?!" Stark groaned in frustration, Mama clearly not amused as she continued to speak to him in Russian.

"я сказал, что ты чертов засранец."

"She called you a fucking asshole." Bucky answered as he walked past Stark towards the fridge, opening it to grab the juice out of the side door.

"Okay that was just uncalled for, but I'm gonna let it pass."

I had noticed myself slumping at the table with my head resting heavily against my arms crossed on the table, groaning at the loud clatter of ceramic against the wood as Mama placed a plate of toasted waffles in front of me.

"Hey! That was my plate of waffles!" Stark yelled turning back from the cupboard to find his breakfast taken from the countertop.

"Eat up you're gonna need your strength for the training session this morning."

I slowly lifted my head, taking the knife and fork in each hand as I scraped away parts of the waffle, not forgetting to drown them in maple syrup first. As I finished the last bite Mama snatched the plate from under me, handing me a glass of orange juice filled to the brim.

"Drink that too baby it'll help wash all that maple syrup from your system!" Mama instructed as I gulped it down, placing it face down into the empty sink.

"Training starts in 45 minutes, you can use our shower again, just grab a spare towel from the cupboard next to the wardrobe just on the left as you walk in."

"Ok Mama!" I yelled from the hallway back to the kitchen.

*NATASHA'S POV*

"Look at you being all motherly." James muttered as he sneaked up from behind, startling me as he placed his metal arm around my waist pulling me gently back towards him.

I pressed my lips together as my nose scrunched up, a small laugh escaping my mouth as I leaned back into his arms.

"I know it sounds weird but I kind of like it."

"It suits you baby." he whispered in my ear as I turned round to face him, wrapping my arms loosely around his neck pulling him closer.

"I thought she'd hate me after all this time, it seems too good to be true that she's just forgiven everything."

"Nat you're forgetting something.. there's nothing to forgive." he assured, bringing his hand up to cup my cheek, rubbing his thumb up and down in a soothing manner.

I didn't respond, only smiled up at him with my eyes, as he moved his head down to my level, pressing his lips gently against mine as his other hand held against my waist.

As he moved away he began to run his fingers gently through my hair as he reassured me again.

"You don't have anything to doubt my love. Your baby's right here with you, don't spend all your time with her thinking she hates you. Believe me she seems to adore you."

"You think?" I smiled up at him.

"Yeah baby, I really do." he smiled back, pulling me against his chest and into his tight but comforting embrace.

I stood with him there for what seemed like hours, and just then it seemed to hit me again. I had everything I'd ever wanted right here in this moment. James right by my side and now I had my baby girl back. Suddenly I didn't feel so doubtful anymore.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Magik By DeeNOss

Fanfiction

28.9K 556 44
A hero from a different timeline has to re-experience his journey to heroism as a member of the Avengers in this alternate reality, where he will hav...
3.6K 140 24
with a group of teens gone missing and the law not doing the absolute most, an ex-assassin rounds up some old friends outside the law and takes matte...
47K 1.9K 21
Y/N Maximoff x Natasha Romanoff After years of searching for the twins in Sokovia, Y/N came out empty handed. He had been Rogue Agent since he manage...
27.9K 772 23
Natasha Romanoff had a child in the Red Room, she fights for her every day and is determined to give her a better life than she had. Because her daug...