Chapter 18: Taken

*BUCKY'S POV*

It's been a few days since the team got back, and I still haven't figured out completely what went wrong, especially why Nat and Echo aren't talking to each other at all. I know by now when Nat doesn't want to talk about something, she'll shut herself out trying to forget about it, trying to deal with it alone even when she knows she doesn't have to. It seems Echo is doing it too, she must get that from her mother.

I half-wish I was there on the mission to make sense of it, but it would've been too dangerous. Although I haven't been The Winter Soldier since last year it's best for me not to be around a fight, especially with innocent civilians nearby it would simply be too risky. So I'd stayed home whilst the rest of the team went, and when they'd returned home the mood was heavily shifted, no longer the familiar atmosphere but instead tense and hostile. I soon picked up hints as Nat didn't even speak one word, instead heading straight for our room which she's barely left these past few days. Echo too, only seeing her leave when she really needed to, but always making sure never to cross paths with Natalia. My heart ached for both of them, Nat just getting her daughter back but being completely shut out, and Echo who'd finally found her mother but now felt completely alone again. I so badly wanted to interfere and try to help but I knew in my mind I would only make things worse, this was between them and only them. The only thing making it ten times worse being the fact that they're both extremely stubborn.

————————————⧗————————————

"Everyone's out in the living room, do you wanna try just coming to sit on the sofa, it'll do you some good Nat."

There was no response as she continued to stare straight ahead at the wall, avoiding my gaze as I spoke gently to her. Nat has always had moments like these, usually the day after a nightmare she'd be out of it and need time to readjust. But I'd never seen her this bad before, no one had. I comfortingly ran my hand over her back, as she was still laid on her side curled up with her hair matted across the pillow behind. I moved my hand up to her face as I tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

"I thought you'd want to know, Echo said she was going for a walk to try and clear her head. Sounds promising to me don't you think?"

For the first time in days she'd actually registered me being there beside her, as she shot up now sitting facing me, a look of fear and confusion combined staring back at me.

"You let her leave?" she questioned her voice still strained and weak.

"Nobody could've stopped her, besides I'm pretty sure she can protect herself at this rate."

"No she can't. Not against him."

"Him?"

"Dreykov. If he finds her, James I can't let him find her please. You have to look for her promise me you'll look for her.

"Nat relax I'm sure she's okay she only left a quarter of an hour ago."

"That's long enough. If he's been tracking her, he would've waited for her to leave, with no one to protect her."

"Don't you think she would've thought about this before leaving?"

"She's not exactly in the right state of mind right now James, anyone can see that."

"Okay Nat relax I'll go now okay? I'll ask the others to come too."

"I'll go too, I have to."

————————————⧗————————————

*ECHO'S POV*

I thought going for a walk would clear my head, but it had only made it so much worse. Being completely alone meant I was left with my thoughts and nothing else as I blocked out the sound around me. Walking through some sort of park I could only try and distract myself, looking around at everything around me and taking it all in. The faint chirping of the birds nesting in nearby trees, rustling of the leaves, scattered laughter of kids nearby. There were so many families around, all looking so happy and carefree. Just to the left of me I noticed a kid running away from her mom as she jokingly chased after her. I could hear the pure joy in her laugh as her mom caught up to her snatching the kid into her arms pulling her into a hug. I noticed an uncomfortable feeling deep in my gut as I watched them together, it was all I'd ever wanted for myself, and in the moment I just wanted my mama.