The Royalty

By Aberial_63

Prince Maxon Schreave ended the Selection just a few months ago. He has finally picked a bride. America Singe... More

The Royalty
Chapter 1
Chapter 2: Part 1
Chapter 2: Part 2
Chapter 3: Part 1
Chapter 3: Part 2
Chapter 4: Part 1
Chapter 4: Part 2
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Not a chapter
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Super Duper Special Announcement
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Super Duper Special Announcement Part Two
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Author's Note
The Son

Epilogue

2.2K 71 19
By Aberial_63

Remember how I said Chapter 38 was the last big time jump? I lied.

*Six Years Later *

"Maxon, wake up."

I buried my face into my pillow. "What is it?" I groaned, still mostly asleep.

"It's time," America said urgently.

"Are you sure?" I yawned. We'd already had two false alarms this week. Both had been during the night, so when you add that to the already existing nervousness, sleep was a fleeting experience.

"Of course I'm sure!" she gasped, another contraction stealing her breath.

I took one look at her face and I knew she was right. It really was time. Our daughter was about to be born.

America was struggling to get to her feet and I hurriedly got up an offered her my arm. She pushed it away, determined to do it herself. Her belly made it difficult to stand but on very few occasions did she ever ask for help.

After a few minutes of struggling, she reached out for my hand. I pulled her to her feet, chuckling at her.

"Not a word," she warned me with a glare.

We walked out of the room quickly, wanting to get to the infirmity as fast as possible. The decision had been made to get Alex once the baby was actually delivered so we didn't have to stop at his room.

"Are you excited?" I asked as we descended a set of stairs.

America smiled through the pain, squeezing my hand tighter. "Excited doesn't even cover it. This is our baby girl, Maxon. I just-" Her voice caught in her throat, tears gathering in her eyes.

"I know," I said, grinning. "It's our little Aubree."

I remembered the day we found out she was coming. It had been so unexpected. Alex had always kept us busy and having another kid had just totally slipped from our minds. Then, ten years after he'd been born, America had come to dinner one night saying she had some news. She had started smiling and I'd just known. She hadn't needed to say a word. We were having a baby. Alex had sat there confused and slightly worried for my sanity as I stood up and started laughing and hugging America like there was no tomorrow. It'd been one of the happiest days of my life.

Now, it was time for the next one.

America and I reached the infirmary. Most of the lights were dimmed and only a few people were around. Thankfully, the doctor who was handling the delivery, Dr. Sladek, was filling out some paperwork at her desk.

When she saw us approaching, she stood up immediately. She came over and took America's arm, leading her over to a bed.

"Welcome back, Your Majesty. Do you believe it is the real thing this time?" Dr. Sladek joked lightly.

America laughed in response. "I hope so. I'm ready to meet her."

"How far apart are your contractions?"

"A little under five minutes, lasting about a minute each."

The doctor smiled. "Well, Your Majesty, I think you were right. The princess could be coming any minute now."

My wife looked up at me, elation pouring into her features. I knew that my face mirrored hers. I'd spent nine months waiting for this day to come and I could hardly bear to wait one more second for my daughter. I wanted to see what she looked like. I wanted to hold her. I wanted to just gape in awe at what America and I had made together.

I sat down in a chair beside the bed. "I love you," I said, stroking her hair.

She gave me that warm look of hers that was as addictive as any drug. "I love you, too," she whispered. A contraction wracked her body, but once it finished she said, "And I love this baby and I love Alex. I don't know how I got so lucky."

I understood completely how she felt. It was a feeling I knew very well.

"Your Majesty," a nurse said to America, "Dr. Sladek says it's time to start pushing."

She nodded and took my hand in hers. "Are you ready for this?"

"Absolutely," I replied. I was ready to meet my daughter.

.

.

.

Aubree's birth went much faster than Alexander's had, a brief thirty-four minutes. Just like the first time, our baby was carried away to be looked at before we got to see her. In the rush, I caught a glimpse of strawberry blonde hair.

America was totally worn out, but the thrill of getting to see our child was enough to keep her awake. My pulse hammered throughout my body as pure joy shot through my veins. I wished that the nurses would hurry up so that we could get a better look at her.

Dr. Sladek turned from the table, cradling a pink bundle. "Congratulations, Your Majesties," she said, walking over to us. She placed Aubree in America's arms gently.

"Oh," America breathed, her eyes wide with amazement.

She was gorgeous, probably because she looked exactly like America. Her eyes were the same piercing azure, her hair almost the same warm red. Her small cheeks were flushed and wet with her newborn tears.

I couldn't stop staring at her. This was my daughter, my little girl. An overwhelming sense of pride and love and protectiveness washed over me. I knew I would do anything to keep her safe. Not one thing in this world would ever hurt her if I could prevent it.

"Isn't she just the loveliest person you've ever laid eyes on?" America whispered to me. She grinned down at Aubree and I could tell that she was thinking of all the times she would get to play dress-up and have tea parties with her and all of the things mothers and daughters do together.

I responded by holding her closer to me which was a good enough answer for her. Of course.

We sat there in silence for a bit, just enjoying the sight of our baby.

"I should go get Alex," I said. "I have a feeling he'll want to meet his sister."

America nodded and gave me a quick kiss before letting me go.

I didn't know how Alex would take the news. He hadn't been all that enthusiastic about getting a new sibling. He had been an only child all of his life and then suddenly this little baby was butting in and stealing all of the attention away from him. I understood it. I was an only child and I would've been the same way had my parents had another kid. I just hoped he wouldn't resent her. Aubree deserved a big brother who she could look up to and who loved her.

I reached his door, knocked, and then went inside. My knock hadn't woken him and he was still fast asleep.

Having a baby in the palace again reminded me just how much he'd changed over the years. He'd grown two inches already this year. Alex had cut his hair short when he was eight, eliminating the natural curls he'd had since he could walk, much to America's dismay. He'd started to gain his mother's stubbornness and her knack for witty comments. I was just waiting for the day to come when he'd start challenging my every word like she did.

I walked over to his bedside, kneeling down onto one knee. "Alex," I whispered, rubbing his arm. "Wake up, little man."

He grumbled incoherently before pulling the covers over his head. I snickered at his defiance and pulled the covers off of him.

"Go away, Dad," he moaned.

"Sorry. No can do. You have to get up."

"Why? The sun isn't even up yet."

I pushed his hair out of his face and he opened his eyes. "That is a good point, but I have a better one. It's time to go see your sister."

"What?" he asked, sitting up and rubbing his eyes.

"Aubree is here. Mom had her ten minutes ago."

Alex looked stunned. He didn't seem excited or happy or even pleasantly surprised. He just seemed like he was too shocked to move.

"I have a sister?" he asked slowly.

"Yes, Alex," I smiled. "You have a sister now."

He twiddled with his thumbs for a minute, seemingly deep in thought. Then, suddenly, he got out of bed and said, "Okay. Let's go then."

He strode past me, his expression impassive and serious. I blinked a few times, startled by his cool disposition. I rushed to catch up with him. I hadn't exactly expected him to be flamboyantly joyful or anything, but I also hadn't expected him to be so emotionless when it came to the birth of his sister.

We made our way down to the infirmary silently and he entered the room first. America smiled when she saw Alex, her eyes lighting up.

"Hey, baby," she greeted. He gave her a small wave. "Come here and meet Aubree."

Alex walked over hesitantly and I nudged him forward encouragingly. He stood beside her, peering into the swaddled pink blanket. Everyone watched him closely, waiting to see his response.

He glanced from Aubree's face to America's every few seconds. Eventually he asked, "Can I hold her?"

I shared a look with America. Did we trust him to be careful enough? Did he understand how gentle he had to be?

The two of us exchanged nods and America said, "Of course, sweetheart. Sit down on the bed with me and I'll hand her to you."

Alex took a seat next to her and America gingerly placed Aubree in his arms. She moved his arms into the proper position, murmuring instructions on how to do it.

Once she pulled away, he sat there quietly, staring at her. With each passing minute, I saw a little bit more expression entering his face. At first, it was just a crinkle at the corner of his eyes like he usually did before smiling. Then, it was the slight curling of his lips into a half-smile. Finally, he burst into a full-on grin and giddy laughter.

"Wow," he said primarily to himself.

I breathed a sigh of relief. I was glad he really was happy to see her. I would've hated for him to not be excited to be a big brother. Not everyone gets a chance to be in his position. It was a special role.

"Any room for me over there?" I questioned lightly. America smiled and patted a spot beside her. I snuggled up next to her, throwing an arm around her shoulders. I ruffled Alex's hair and he beamed at me. Little Aubree was looking at me attentively, like she was already trying to memorize my face.

I don't think I've ever been quite as content as I was at that exact moment. It felt like my life was a puzzle and this baby girl had been the last missing piece. I was finally complete.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Schreved By meme

Fanfiction

60.9K 763 32
America and Maxon are finally married. They couldn't each be more happy. This story follows their lives after The One ends. I didn't write The Selec...
78.5K 1.9K 44
~ 'Matthew slid closer to me so our bodies were pressed up against each other in a not to intimate way. "I hope I cross your mind every once in a whi...
189K 2.3K 40
The selection has ended. Maxon has chosen the girl he wants to marry. The choice was unexpected. He chose Kriss Ambers. Maxon was happy until the day...
17.5K 215 20
America gets picked to go to the new advanced private school for some of the smartest teens in Illéa. She was a poor five in Carolina but now that sh...